Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

1515253545557»

Comments

• Hello all,

I just got back from the Jeep dealership and it seems my 2011 JGC (48,000 miles) has a faulty TIPM. I had my usual mechanic check the problem out prior to going to the dealer and he said the same thing. Symptoms include having difficulty starting, fuel pump not cutting off immediately and randomly stalling while driving.

My concern is the plan of action at the Jeep dealership. They first told me it would be covered under the power train warranty, then after the diagnostic testing they told me that it would not be. They have special ordered a fuel pump relay kit. My question to everyone is: Does this sound like the right fix for this problem? I have read lots of TIPM related forums and most solutions involved completely replacing the TIPM. Please let me know what you think I should address or do. Thanks in advance.

Josh
  • Your symptoms sound very much like the ones experienced in earlier posts. I suggest reading #1179 of 1231 2011 Cherokee no start by blakeburch and the posts that follow. From what's been reported there, it doesn't sound like the fuel pump relay is the source of the problem.

I had my TIPM repaired by AR Speedometer in Tulsa, OK and my GC has been running fine for the past two weeks.
  • Just a follow-up: I'm two weeks in now without a hiccup; my repaired TIPM is working fine. Thanks again to everyone who shared their experience on this forum; your postings saved me a lot of time and money - much appreciated.

Y'all have a great Thanksgiving!
  • Trying to find the best way to sell the dealership on replacing my TIPM. It is not consistently failing yet, but i don't want to wait for it to go completely... Any advice? They are trying to diagnosis it, but I will have to pick it up tomorrow if they can't find it at fault.
  • jgc15jgc15 Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue, and I found this website:

http://www.gotaclassaction.com/chrysler-investigated-over-defective-totally-inte- grated-power-module-tipm-in-2011-2012-jeep-grand-cherokees-and-dodge-durangos/

Chrysler investigated over defective Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) in 2011-2012 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos
  • One of the more non-pointless reasons to using Social media is to make big business, like Jeep, accountable for their actions, or lack there of.

When I spoke to a representative from Jeep corporate when asked about why this hasn't been made into a recall yet..His reply "Not enough people have complained yet."

Solid answer. Let's fix that.

Homework:
    Go onto the Jeep Facebook Page, (simply type Jeep into the search) this gives you a chance to write on their 'Wall' and let them know your problem, voice your opinion, tell them your unique story and how it has effected you life, your family, and livelihood. They have just under 3.5 million 'Fans' and that, unfortunately, is a much larger audience then the people reading these forums.

There has been success in doing this in the past. They will most likely take it down within minutes. But i've been posting for days, which means there is someone taking it down, which means someone will run it up the latter after a while because they are sick of taking it down.

FYI- I have already coughed up the $1,200 to replace my TIPM because i had to go to work. I was then told by the Jeep service manager that I should keep my receipt in the hopes this ever gets recalled. His opinion "They should be recalled because we have 5 others waiting to get the part in from back order"
  • They diagnosed for a day and a half, and told me they were going to replace the TIPM. They also said it would be in by the end of the week and only take an hour to replace... Which is a far cry from the stories I have been reading here and elsewhere, so it seems they are getting the idea... Maybe, we'll see. My symptoms were ignition running for 10 seconds without starting and engine stalling after start. I'm really surprised they agreed to replace it that quickly.
  • jgc15jgc15 Posts: 2
    Posted the message in Facebook and Twitter - I got a reply today from the Admin of the page - you did too I saw on the page - let's hope they will listen.
    Fingers crossed
  • You are far more fortunate than I was if your dealer has the TIPM within a week. My order was in for more than three weeks - and they still didn't have any idea when they would receive it.

I got frustrated waiting, had the unit repaired, and then cancelled my order with the dealer. They refunded my $500 deposit less the cost of the technician's time to do the initial diagnostic.

I was OK with paying that much.
  • Best laid plans... Alas it is on back order as well 8-(... But they gave me 5 day rental today. We'll see what this turns in to.
  • I just posted this on Jeep's facebook page:
    "I have owned 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee since May of this year. We bought it shortly before my wife gave birth to our daughter. This week the Jeep began giving my wife trouble starting. This morning it took her 15 minutes to get it started and then a few hours later she was nearly stranded in a parking lot after it took her almost 45 minutes to get it started. After doing some quick Internet research, I discovered that the are numerous 2011-2012 Grand Cherokee's having faulty Totally Integrated Power Modules (TIPM). The dealer confirmed my suspicions and then proceeded to tell me that it was not covered under warranty and that I would have to pay over $1500 in parts and labor to replace it. I called Chrysler customer service and they told me there is no recall and since the vehicle is out of warranty (approximately 66,000 miles) that there was nothing they could do for me. This is the first Chrysler/Jeep vehicle I have ever owned, and if this is what I can expect from Jeep vehicles going forward it will definitely be the last."
  • The AR Speedometer dude is the bomb. I have had my rebuilt TIPM in for a week now. No problems. The truck starts up just fine, autostart is ok, push button start is ok. I never even called the dealer. 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 LTR

• dvicary1dvicary1 Posts: 1

2011 jeep grand cherokee laredo completely shut down in an intersection. couldn't start it or even turn on hazard lights, is this a problem with TIPM