Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Engine and Underhood Questions

1101112131416»

Comments

• ok well my 1994 dakota v-6 has been down a year managed to tear up the motor and clean all the gunk out put it back together but now trying to replace the oil pump will turn on but after running around the drive way it turns off so we managed to have a friend help us to replace it truck jacked up bolts removed pan loose but needing 1/2 to an inch to come off any suggestions there were 2 posed to me put it under a tree lift the motor or loosen the bolts on the transmission and pop it back just enough to drop the pan well that was a week ago the friend that was doing it hurt his back now im stuck never lifted the motor before i was sick when he started so i couldnt get under to see what the heck he was doing another person said to unbolt 2 bolts on the side of the motor to drop the pan easily i know i can count on edmonds members to open my eyes on how to solve this delima other than just junking it :sick:
  • Pulled up to a stop about 20 seconds after starting car. Car stopped very jerkily; required a lot of pressure on brake. At first I thought my trailer brakes installed 6 weeks ago weren't set right but then I realized the engine was racing. When I released brake, truck jumped forward squealing tire. No more issues while I was out. Taking it in Monday for a look/see. Any ideas or known issues that may help me out? Thanks in advance. Side note. I sometimes, but infrequently, have engine idle fast at startup. This was definitely different than that.
  • ishakaishaka Posts: 1
    New to the site. Looking to replace my 3.9L engine that just went out. Used engines available range from year 2000 - 2004. Anyone know if any of these will be a perfect match for a replacement?

Ishaka
  • hawaiipuphawaiipup Posts: 28
    im hearing a humming sound under the middle of my 94 dakota could it be my fuel pump she does loose power at times and even stalls when i put her in gear please help :mad: :confuse:
  • cheeze74cheeze74 Posts: 30
    How many miles do you have on truck? Sounds like it could be fuel pump starting to fail. I had a 92 dakota that started to loose power and it ended up being the fuel pump. The first time it acted up I started the engine and when I put it in gear it stalled. Started up again and later stalled again.
  • hawaiipuphawaiipup Posts: 28
    she has too many miles but thanks i wasnt sure it could be the fuel pump but ive change about everything else but did suspect fuel pump so i guess 300.00 to replace it is worth it tore it down and cleaned the motor out i mean toothbrush clean thanks for your feedback :)
  • cheeze74cheeze74 Posts: 30
    If you wanted to be sure it is the fuel pump you coould take it to your regular service facility and have them check the pressure output on the pump. That wouldn't take long for them to do. I believe there is a connection near the engine that they can hook to and read the pressure.
  • HELP!! Truck was running fine one day and then went to start it up the next day and it would crank and then cut right off. I changed the fuel filter, rebuilt and cleaned the carb. changed vacuum hoses, replaced the pcv valve, spark plugs, wires, rotor and dis cap, and replaced MAP sensor (because the truck would run and drive without it plugged in) but then when i replaced it with a new one it did the same starting and then cutting off routine. So now I'm lost. I have no idea what else it could be. Right now I'm driving it without the MAP sensor plugged in, which is causing me to burn fuel like crazy. Anyone having the same problem or have any solutions? PLEASE!!!
  • Hi im new, ive been having a problem w/ 01 3.9 Dakota. Cold start everything is fine but after I drive and shut it off for 15 mins, it sputters on acceleration and seems to backfire out of intake for 5 seconds then just takes off. any ideas?