Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• mtrialsmmtrialsm Posts: 159
    What do I need to know when replacing the steering wheel clock spring?
    Especially removing the airbag and replacing? Main thing diconnect the battery, right? Special tools?
    My horn does not work.
  • 2parker2parker Posts: 1
    My 2000 Dodge Dakota frequently will not charge battery on startup, or will stop charging while driving. I've tried replacing alternator, pcm, battery & temperature sensor, and problem remains the same. Any suggestions?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    You asked for suggestions.... instead of just blindly replacing things, perhaps using a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) to troubleshoot and isolate the problem may be a better way to go. A charging system is pretty simple to troubleshoot.

I beleive that the regulator is imbedded in the PCM (engine computer) and it must be properly grounded to perform its task.
    On my 2000 Dak, pulled the screw to EVERY ground wire and filed the paint off of the body to ensure a good solid connection to ground.

Also, I have found that some rebuilt alternators are junk. In my experience, it is better to pay a bit more for a quality, tested replacement instead of installing the cheapest one. BEWARE of the units which claim a "lifetime warantee", you may be replacing it many times over your lifetime because they are the worst culprits.

On the surface, the "lifetime warantee" sounds like a good deal.... but instead, the rebuilders KNOW that they tend to be junk so they gladly replace them as you spend your lifetime doing the labor to replace them.
  • gsfr659gsfr659 Posts: 2
    I have a 01 Dakota and have recently developed a problem with a dash beep. It is the same sort of beep as if your gas light came on, however there are no lights on the dash indicating a problem. The truck runs fine, but the beeping is driving me insane. The beep only occurs, however, when the truck is rolling. When I stop at a stop sign or a red light it stops, even while it is still in drive. It is an Automatic Quad Cab 4x4 if it helps. I have traced the beeping to a box that I was told by the dealer was time and alarm module under the kick panel on the driver's side. The dealer also told me the part cost was around $265, so I would like to get around replacing it if possible. For the time being I have a piece of tape over the opening of the box to make the beeping a little more bearable, but nonetheless it is still driving me crazy. If anyone could help me before I drive the thing off in the ocean and make a reef out of it that would be great.
  • I have a 2000 Dakota and over the last several months the lights on my dash (speedometer, oil gauge, gear indicator, etc.) have burnt out. I have replaced the fuse twice, most recently this past sat night. A couple of months ago, I noticed that the left turn blinker inside the truck does not flash, although the turn signal itself works fine.

My b-in-law seems to think it might be my dimmer switch. A guy at Checkers thought it could be that or an electrical problem. Any ideas and how to best fix? :)
  • The drivers side power window quit working. The left switch will work the passenger window but the switch for the left window doesnt work. The dealer says that the switches never go, that it is something else inside the door causing the problem. Any ideas?
  • ok when ever i turn the parking lights or head lights on my reverse lights come on also and when ever i put the truck in reverse the dash lights come on i check for loose or broken and even pinched wires and fornd nothing please help I have a 2003 dodge dakota sxt 3.9 4x4 auto trans extended cab
    Your description sure sounds like a bad ground in the rear light harness.

When you put your truck into reverse, the electricity cannot "find" a good ground so the current flows "backwards" into other parts of the electrical system.

(The above is a laymans description of what us electronics experts call a ground-loop problem.)

Use a DVM to troubleshoot and isolate the problem.
  • When I turn on the headlight switch, dash lights go out, tach and speedometer go to 0, all gages go to full scale and high beam and the two turn signal lights are illuminated. Are there any ideas??
    All electrical problems have the same solution.. Use a DVM to troubleshoot and isolate the problem.

Trying to fix electrical problems without actually MEASURING the voltage and continuity of the circuits is guessing.
  • clif44clif44 Posts: 1
    did you find what problem was caused by i have 94 dakota same problem ihave 94 dakota dashlights goes out gauges go full no speedometer
  • mobile1alamobile1ala Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota that just developed an electrical problem. From the drivers side control panel none of the power windows work. Neither does the power door lock. The windows do not work from any door control panel. The door locks do work from the passenger side panel. I checked the fuse (number 13) but it was OK.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
  • ckachurchckachurch Posts: 4
    For the life of me, I dont know. I have not been having any problems in weeks. I have gone thru the fuses and cleaned all of the grounds in the engine compartment. So I dont know.
  • mobile1alamobile1ala Posts: 2
    I found the problem. I loosened the door panel and it looked like the connector to the power window panel was ok, so I put it back. After getting nowhere with the problem, I took the door panel off and the connector was loose and will not lock on, so I used a little duct tape and it works fine.
    Thanks.
  • mcin7535mcin7535 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota and recently my son pulled a trailer that had a short in the wiring. The headlights won't work, the electric door fob and locks won't work, the headlights glow very dimly when we turn the engine off and the intermittent wiper function won't work. Kinda weird huh?

I'm afraid the short in the trailer wiring has caused some malfunctions in the wiring and or computer.

Any ideas?
  • hauntedjjhauntedjj Posts: 1
    My 2002 Dakota radio is doing the same thing and draining the battery over night. Replaced the battery and problem still presist. Removed the fuses for the radio which stopped the problem, but have no radio. Anyone with a solution?
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Posts: 159
    After the cruise control stopped functioning I had the dealer replace the clockspring.
    all is well again.
    I ordered a clockspring on line for $60.00 delivered. The dealer wanted $99.00 for one.
  • flarginflargin Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 dakota 5.9 xcab with a very similar problem. Hazards come on with no problems all the time, blinkers would flash once or twice and then turn off but eventually they stopped working altogether UNLESS the key is in accessory position then they work just fine. I pulled the plug on multi switch and checked the pins 11, 5, and 3. 11being hazards 5 and 3 being right and left blinkers, when the key is on the "on" position or the truck is running the hazards work but the blinkers get no power, when the key is in accessory position hazards work and blinkers work fine. At first I thought it was the flasher but it obviously works because the lights flash in acc. All relays are good as well as fuses and i've checked grounds. To me it still seems likely that it's a grounding issue, like when the truck's off there's enough grounding to complete the circuit but when the truck is on the extra voltage produced is more than it can ground and the circuit isn't completed. I am however no expert so i'm lost as to what to do now and gaining frustration, any ideas?
  • cmckinnoncmckinnon Posts: 1
    lost both power windows and blower motor? fuses are fine both in fuse box and (pds?)under hood fuses, breakers what have you. no power when testing with test light to the fuse positions 1,and 2. which are the blower motor and windows ?
  • 01dak01dak Posts: 6
    I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM... EXCEPT IT BEEPS WHETHER OR NOT I AM MOVING. I THOUGHT IT MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY TRANSMISSION SLIPPING IN AND OUT OF OVERDRIVE AT 45-60 MPH, BUT AFTER READING OTHER POSTS, IT SOUNDS AS IF THAT IS A DIFFERENT PROBLEM. WHICH LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THE PROBLEM IS ELECTRICAL. RECENTLY MY RIGHT BLINKER BLINKS AS IF A BULB IS BLOWN, BUT A CHECK OF THE LIGHTS SHOWS ALL IS WELL. I DON'T GET IT... ANY SUGGESTIONS?