Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• Hi, i recently bought a 1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L V6. A couple weeks ago i was driving down the road and noticed my check gauges light started flashing. I ignored it and continued driving when all of a sudden the truck just died and lost all power. I flagged another truck down and asked for a jump thinking it was just a dead battery. So i got my truck jumped and continued on home. Not even 5 minutes later the check gauges light started to flash again. I kept driving and just as i pulled onto my street the truck died again. I then went and brought a brand new battery to see if that would help. The next day while driving it died again. So i had my father come down and give me a jump and just made it back home. I decided to get a new alternator thinking that would be the next probable cause. But again after replacing the alternator the truck died and would not hold a charge. I then decided to have a look at all the fuses. All fuses were fine but i noticed that the power distribution box looked to be missing a wire running from the 140 amp alternator fuse??. It has one wire feeding into it from the positive terminal of the battery but looks to be missing a wire coming out the other side??????? Just wondering if there should be a wire feeding into each side of the alternator amp????
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Sounds like a short or a bad stop light switch.

Regards,
    Dusty
    My apologies, but unfortunately I can't recall a "140 amp" fuse anywhere in the electrical system. Of course, I am getting old.

I wonder if you are referring to the fusible link? I can't for the life of me figure out how something could be missing on a vehicle that ran fine one minute then died another. Let's approach this another way.

Connect a voltmeter to the correct terminals of the battery (positive meter lead to positive post; negative meter lead to negative post). You should be reading something over +12.5 volts with a fully charged battery. A partially drained battery will yield a lower voltage.

Start the engine. If you are in a cold weather area of the country, the voltmeter should be reading anywhere from +13 to +14.7 volts at initial start up and slowly drop as the battery charges. If the voltage drops from your initial reading after start up, the battery is not receiving any charge current from the alternator. This then is the problem to troubleshoot.

If the battery is receiving a charge, you probably have an intermittent problem. Check for bad connections at the alternator, Power Distribution Center (PDC), and to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Regards,
    Dusty
  • hey guys...
    i have a 2000 dakota QC manul 6 cylinder. i replaced the battery recently. when i drive with my headlights on...the lights start flickering. (headlights, dashlights..pretty much all the lights) also i hear this clicking when the lights are flickering. when the car is off and just sitting there, i c in the headlight that there is a very dim light that is on. i have to 2 disconnect the battery so it wont drain my battery.

plz help!
  • Howdy, I had the same exact problem with my 2002 dakota 4.7 v8. It is the only reason I joined this forum. Your problem is the Central Control Module. It is a black box (5"X5")with a circuit board in it. It controls the timers. Two screws and plug it in. Done! You will have to check your manual to re-set your auto door locks and you will need to have your key fobs re-programmed. Mine was mounted vertically behind the lower left kick panel, I imagine you will find yours there. The part is about $250 at the dealer. I raised some hell at the dealership citing that it was it was a poor design/quality issue. I ended up getting it for $185. Just to reassure you, my problem was exactly the same with the flickering and clicking. Take care.
  • I went and looked at my old module. It actualy has three plugs and it may be called a central timing module. I guess my memory is going. Anyway it will take care of the problem.
  • dougdoug Posts: 7
    Where is the CTM on a 95 Dakota and what does it look like?
  • Sorry. I don't know. Does it have lights that turn off on a timer, auto-locks or keyless entry? On my 2002 has the ctm under the lower left kick panel. It is a black box that is about 5 x 5 1.25 inches. It has three plugs on one side and screws to the body. Good luck
  • dougdoug Posts: 7
    no automatic lights, locks, or keyless entry. CTM is not in the left kick panel. there is a box on the right side behind the glove box but its rectangular and only has one plug so i'm not sure. i called the local dodge parts dealer and asked for a CTM and they didn't know what i was talking about.
    Well, on older Daks the CTM was behind the right side kick panel, I believe. My son had one fail on his '91, but he's not around to ask tonight.

All the things you mention that aren't working could be related to the CTM, except the tachometer.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • mchasemchase Posts: 3
    Hi,

I had trouble with my cab lights staying on when I was driving my 99 dakota (4WD 5.2L). I tried to replace the CTM. I purchased a new module from the dealer. When I installed the new module and reconnected the battery the truck would not start. The cab lights and all seemed to work fine but the engine would not kickover.
    It does sound like the starter motor is trying.

I then tried to reinstall the original module, but as soon as I reconnected the battery negative wire the alarm started to sound. I could not shut off the alarm or start the truck.

Any suggestions on how to get the new CTM to work or to reset the old CTM module?

I asked the dealer if the new module needed to be programed. They said only to get the keyless remote to work. They said that I should be able to start and drive the truck after I installed the new module.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike,

If you talked to a parts person, then I can understand their answer. Unfortunately, the CTM has two fused ignition circuits: one for Accessories and another for Start. So, yes, the CTM can have an influence on engine start.

However, if the stater is engaging the flywheel and trying to turn the engine over, I suspect you may have another problem.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dsweetdsweet Posts: 15
    Can I please get some assistance with this code P0441 and Is there something I can do or do I have to have a dealer fix the problem. Its a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    P0441 means "Evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow"

The number1 reason for this is GAS CAP which is not sealing properly. The owners-manual says to get 3 full clicks when tightening. Try tightening, or even replacing the gas cap. Don't use a cheap after market one though.

If you need to know more about the EVAP diagnostics and why they may fail, PLEASE use the search function. I have explained in explicit detail least 12 times over the past 8 years here on Edmunds. It is usually trivial to isolate the problem.
    As Bpeebles said, the fuel cap is the number 1 reason for a P0441. If you've never replaced the fuel cap, its a likely bet that's the problem.

If a new cap doesn't solve the problem, there are several possibilities. One of the most common are cracked/split purge lines that go from the Evaporative Canister to the fuel tank, or to the Leak Detection Pump (LDP). If you don't have a Leak Detection Pump, you will have a Evaporative Purge Solenoid (EPS) which is mounted on the firewall.

Of course, you could have an electrical problem with either a LDP or a EPS.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • The front turn signals have two bulbs. If one of them is burnt out it will cause the ones that work to blink faster than normal.

Check the right front signal to get an idea of where the lights are located and you should see two lights when the signal is activated.

Now check the left side to see which of the two bulbs does not function.

Hope this helped.
  • TbubTbub Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 2wd 3.9 v6. I need to know the wiring for the bright lights behind the plug. I have a cut wire and when i placed it back together i cant get brights on one side. Does anyone know which wire behind the plug is for the brights?

Thanks
  • lpgamboalpgamboa Posts: 1
    Can anyone advise me? I just found out I need a new fuse block. The mechanic says it will be $450.00 parts and labor. Is this price high? Does anyone know a trustworthy mechanic in the Houston Texas area?
  • jcormjcorm Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Dakota and was driving the other day and the radio went dead. Then I went to turn and I had no blinkers. Everything else worked fine. Turned the truck off and then restarted and everything was fine. I found that if I wiggle the key while driving the blinkers and radio will go off and on. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    It sounds like you have a worn ignition switch.

Regards,
    Dusty