Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• lgoodwinlgoodwin Posts: 4
    I have checked all fuses at the JB, the PDC under hood and replaced dash light switch. I pulled what I thought was the CTM and took to 2 parts stores. Cross check on part number showed as an ABS module. It was in the right place, behind passenger kick panel, under dash, with right dimensions (approx 5 X 6), with one 14 pin connector on the top. The module is full of electronic parts and pieces. Picture at stores looked the same as the module (approx $100.00). Was the only module I could find or see on either side of the dash. Any ideas on the possible disconnect in the description/identification between the CTM and an ABS module? Or is this the right part being called a different name?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Well, I'm pretty sure that an ABS module is going to be a heck of a lot more than $100.

Mistakes in the parts list at aftermarket stores are real common. I've gotten the wrong transmission filter for my daughter's Hyundai Accent, and the wrong upper radiator hose and PCV valve for my friends '98 Chrysler Concorde in the last two weeks alone. An acquaintance is overhauling the engine on a 2001 Grand Am and told me he got the wrong intake manifold gasket set and incorrect timing chain from AutoZone.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Hello,

I have a 93 Dakota 3.9, and my power door locks suddenly quit working. I have checked the fuses and they are all good.
    Also, my rear speakers don't work most of the time. Every once in a while they will work, but the next time the car is turned off and on they don't work for days at a time. I thought it was my radio but when I replaced the radio the problem persisted.
  • The speedo on my 93 dakota is out, however it is not the same problem that some other people have described here.
    My ABS and brake dash lights ARE NOT coming on.
    I recently purchased this truck in this condition, and the previous owner said that the speedo used to work until she had the ignition cylinder replaced, and stopped working since. Any ideas?
  • yokyyoky Posts: 1
    i have a 96 dakota and im having problems with my headlight and time i turn them in the will work for a while then shut off and flash sometimes
    i think its the switch over heating but i replaced it and im still having the same prolem
    ive talked to a few technicians and they said that i probably have a short somewhere (causing the switch to over heat)
    i would just take the truck in and have them fix it but i havent been able to find a job in over a year now so thats not really an option
    Hmmm. In this case I'd suspect a bad connection from the PCM to the instrument panel, or a defective speedometer gauge.

Regards,
    Dusty
    You may or may not have a short, but I've seen a few headlight switches replaced on that vintage Dakota.

The headlights utilize a circuit breaker in the fuse panel. The circuit breaker could be defective, or the circuit is drawing too much current.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I recently bought a 93 dakota, and the previous owner apparently accidentally pulled the wire that goes to the horn. The horn itself works but obviously without the wire there's no power going to it. (I tested it directly from the battery) Would anyone be able to tell me where this wire comes from so I can try to reconnect it? Or maybe what it looks like (like the wire color)? I found no lose wires around the horn unfortunately. Thanks in advance.
  • Problem solved. Speedo cable came off and was hiding deep behind the instrument cluster.
  • lgoodwinlgoodwin Posts: 4
    Finally went to dealer to check out part number. It was the ABS module I had removed (and ABS module at Advance and Auto Zone both list for around $100.00).
    Reason I couldn't find the CTM is because CTM was not put on the Daks until 1997 (when the body style changed, this is per the dealer parts list).
    So back to the problem, head, tail, dash lights out, ABS, engine check light on, tach working intermittently. But cranks and runs fine. Parts guy stated he'd had 2 Daks with no problem like this. Suggested maybe Ignition switch and or run wiring for ground. Keep in mind NO blown fuses in FB or PDC. Any other ideas on fixing this problem?
  • 2002 Dakota 4x4 lights go on and off when the key is in the on position or when the truck is running. They work fine when the key is off. Has anyone experienced this and what is the solution...
  • has anyone corrected this problem by replacing the central timing module?
  • I have a 98 dodge dakota,3.9L,auto.The reverse lights work but not in reverse.On the dash it is between P and R.sounds like the shift cable needs to be adjusted just not sure how...help?
  • apb1952apb1952 Posts: 2
    i have a 1999 Dodge Dakota, previous owner had a electrical harness for towing and it was mangled and hanging so I removed it and now turn signals are flashing fast and no front turn signals at all
  • apb1952apb1952 Posts: 2
    i think you are correct, i think i need a T10 to get the assembly off
  • djorndjorn Posts: 1
    We have the exact problem now and the truck just dies out of nowhere. Did you find out what it was? We're going nuts with this!! The truck runs great and it just stops, and we gt the no bus message in the odometer. If we give it a minute, it starts back up. Any information to help?
  • jwyattjwyatt Posts: 10
    I got no response from this in another posting,so I am reposting it here:

2K Dakota Slut Truck 4.7L Auto 4wd 168K miles I have an unusual blower problem with the heater/AC. It always seems to work when I first start the truck. If I stop after a while and then restart after a short while, the fan will not work at any speed. With the AC on, one can detect that the compressor is working, and cool air will come from the vents at speed. At highway speeds, the fan generally will come on after a while.

I am unsure as to whether it is the resistor or if the blower motor is going out in light of the blower's starting after getting to highway speeds. Is the AC or ambient air cooling the resistor enough to restart, or is the highway speed and air induction coming through the vents giving the blower motor enough oomph to start again?

Anyone have any ideas? Jim

Since the above was posted, the blower has stopped working alltogether. Analyzing the problem, It seems to me as if the problem is not the resistor, but I was looking around the fuse box and found a blower relay which I think might be the problem. I hope to get a response here.

Jim
  • davem33davem33 Posts: 2
    My 2001 dakota 4x4 w/4.7 auto & OD gets the CEL, and gives codes 0720 & 0715, but when all is checked, the sensors are all good, so I expect a short in the harness between the TCM and Input/Output sensors. Dodge has now charged me over $800 and cannot seem to "find" the real problem. This failure results in no shifting out of 1st at all when in drive, with OD on or off, but I can limp along in second just fine as long as I don't go over 40 mph. Funny, but there are a series of "speed bumps" on one particular road that I can drive over that somehow temporarily fixes the short and allows the signals to get through and all shifts well for a while. I never know when the short will reappear. HELP!
  • jwyattjwyatt Posts: 10
    Hey, Dave, don't hold your breath waiting on a reply here unless you are a member of the "in" clique. I got no response on my query about the blower motor on my slut truck.

If anyone is interested in the symptoms I encountered, it was the blower motor at fault. It finally started making a noise when it was working. Replaced the motor which required pulling the dash. I also had the heater core replaced because of the mileage. AC evaporator had been replaced previously, so this is the second time for pulling the dash out. If anyone has similiar problems, do all three at once, evaporator, heater core, and blower motor as it is 5 plus hours labor. Doing the motor, heater core, AC charge, and wiper blades was $665. Evaporator done last year was $800 plus, so I think the indie garage gave me a break.

Good luck on the erratic xmission problem.

Jim