Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• i recently purchased a 1997 dodge dakota 4 cyl. 2.5 L. so far i've replace the mag. pick up, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, all four ball joints, both stablizer pins, thought i was ready to get it inspected but when they tried to hook it up to the machine result was no communication. they said that the data link is powered by the radio. i took apart the dash to find that when they put in an after market radio most of the wires in the harness were cut. O.K. my question is for an easy solution can i hot wire the data link by cutting the pink wire and the green wire. both of which are dead. checked by testing from fuse box to green wire no result and from good ground to pink wire no result. all other connections looked like the are properly hooked up. sorry for such a long post would appericate and simaler problems and solutions
  • OK I have met my match. I can't figure this thing out
    2002 Dakota SXT 2w/d No power anything or cruise.just A/C
    OK Here is the problem
    When the truck hits 30MPH (Exactly) the headlamp/key chime goes off and will not stop until vehicle goes under 30 MPH. Also when headlamps are on and I open the door they go off. Close the door and they go back on. The interior lamps do not work unless I turn them on at headlamp switch. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I did notice for a few weeks before this happened that when I turned the headlamps on they would flash bright for a split second but would function properly thereafter.

Any thoughts?
  • Hey everyone I'm hoping someone can help me out. Problem is when yI turn truck off with lights on and then restart all my gauges peg out and stay.Flasher lights come on but don't blink or anything. Truck still runs fine but gauges stay pegged.Only happens when I drive with light on and stop then restart (getting gas, going to store etc.) Hope someone can help me out. Thanx
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    This is a WAG, but II would look for a bad connection, particularly one involving the grounds, on your instrument cluster. When you turn on the lights, because of the bad connection, a sneak path is being created through you gauges which is causing them to peg.

Though this idea is not very consistent with your "Only happens when I drive with light on and stop then restart" comment.
  • My turn signals decided to quit after 2-3 blinks and could be restarted, the emergency flashers worked fine. Calling my DIY car tech he said it probably was the flasher. I bought the flasher, which for my 2000 Dak is combination flasher, $15.95. I followed the combined instructions from here only to find they were not even close to my Dak. The flasher is NOT located below the steering column, you don't have to remove the steering dash cover or anything close to this.
    Here's how I did it: Unhooked the negative battery cable so that the airbag capacitor can discharge. Lay on your back on the floorboard; with a flashlight looking up the underside of the dash on the drivers left side. Locate a 'squarish' plug, mine was green in color and at the top of a couple of other plug type connections; pull it out (as if disconnecting a plug) noting which way the connectors are aligned; take the new (replacement) flasher and plug it in the same way. Reconnect the negative battery cable, WA LA...everything is back to working order! I should get a badge for this!
  • codeonecodeone Posts: 1
    I'm no mechanic by any means and I need help! I have an '87 Dakota with a V6 engine. My daughter was driving it and she turned on the radio and the truck went dead. Unable to restart it. Looking at the engine, I saw an orange wire on the right side of the engine burned apart. I reconnected the wire and tried to start it up....wire burned up again and then alternator started smoking. I have tried replacing the voltage regulator and starter selenoid but it still burns up the wire. The key is only in the accessory position when it starts smoking.
  • Checked my grounds today and they all looked all right. Just in case I replaced the terminals and found one wire was corroded even though wire looked good on the outside. Once done my problem was gone. (hopefully for good) Thanks srs 49 for the help. I sprayed the terminal with undercoating to hopefully protect it, hope it works.
  • sfox22sfox22 Posts: 1
    Truck has 80,000 miles. Just started today with electrical problems. Park lamps flicker on and off when the truck is off. High beam indicator is always on (even when headlights are not). Truck constantly tells me the door is open even when driving. Interior lights stay on all of the time (door ajar). Power locks do not work. Everything else functions normally. I had to start pulling fuses to keep my battery from draining. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  • paco9paco9 Posts: 2
    the hazard fuse in the fuse box under the hood of my 1999 dodge dakota magnum 6 cyl keeps burning out thus my turn signals do not work i have replaced this fuse 3 times and 20 minutes after it burns again.
  • did you check the fuses. sometime they have more than one.
  • 2007 dakota .have electrical problems .the tack,speedo jump around all dummy lights come on .took it to dealer they kept it for a month .replaced dash cluster and computer.got truck back drove it 50 miles every thing started again.does any one else have this problem
  • I have a 2007 dakota its been in the shop every week this month with the same problem you have.they replaced dash cluster and computer.drove it 50 miles samething again.read in another post that these trucks have problems with wiring shorts .you might have them check for that problem.
    thanks oilcanman
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    I've got a 2005 quad cab and have never had the problem you're describing.

But, if I were to start troubleshooting someplace, it would be looking for a bad ground on the instrument cluster.
  • truck is back at shop again .I got to talk to the tech he thinks it may be a short in the wiring.hes going to replace the wiring and cluster again. the last time i toke it in the service advisor would not even try and let me talk to the tech about the problem. this time got another advisor she got the tech for me to talk to an tell him the problem.ill see what happens from here.
  • sounds like a short in the wiring trace the wire all the way from point a to point b. it may be rubbing on something
  • topsultopsul Posts: 4
    My head lights, power door locks, interior lights, not working, service 4 wheel drive light is on, also the back cargo light on all the time (battery disconnected to turn that off). Could be other items not working will check later today. I have seen a few other posts (118) with a similar problem.
    Thanks for any and all help.
  • I just had the same problem. 1st disconnect the pos and neg terminals to the battery, touch the cables togather to reboot the computer (this dicharges any memory in the computer and resets the computer when it is powered up) Connect the batter cables and the everything will start working. The 2nd problem is the connector for the computer behind the kick pannel by your left foot. If this connector is loose or gets a damp it will loose contact or have an intermintant contact causing the dash cluster to go on and off. Unplug and replug several times to clean contacts and I would go to an electronics dealer to get a spray to dry the contacts and keep the dampness out. Hopes this helps.
  • topsultopsul Posts: 4
    thanks I'll try that when I get home from work