Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• dam104dam104 Posts: 3
    check u pull a part or u-pick junk yard.? (p/n must match! ) off a 4.7L w/auto right? check mopar reman at dodge. fst.check all vac/lines and all ele/wires if ok recheck for faltcodes. if five or more codes it's your pcm.good luck to you sir. :)
  • this all quit at once, the key was hard to turn, and when it did it blew a 50 amp fuse.....elec windows and locks, AC, Cruise control, lights, and radio. replaced the fuse, and got the radio and lights back.....My mom remembers having some module replaced or something re-wired on the bottom side of the steering column when this happened a few years ago when my father was alive.....and when they bought the parts to do it they were told it was something that happened a lot with that year Dakota. Does anyone have a clue what it was? Someone else suggested a relay unit somewhere under the dash on the passenger side so we will check that in the morning, but I am betting its the more difficult job under the column
  • Yesterday I did some maintenance on my 2005 Dakota including pulling the battery cables off and cleaning them up. When I put the battery cables back on and started the truck it started perfect. But I noticed the headlights were on even though the switch was off. Then I noticed the digital odometer was out, the oil pressure and temp gauges were out, the radio was out, no dash lights. The turn signals don't work, the hazards don't work and worst of all I can not put the truck in gear because the brake switch isn't working. There was absolutely no symptoms of trouble prior to the battery cables being cleaned and being put back on. I figured I would have to re tune the radio stations. This is a 2 WD 4 door quad cab Dakota with about 95K mileage. Any ideas? I checked all the fuses but they are all good.
  • I just had the same thing happen to my truck. What did you find to be the problem? Any help you could give me would be really appreciated. Thanks
  • Could #365 please let me know what you found to be the problem. I am having the exact same issues.
  • hopefully you have a different problem than me, my truck was towed in and the problem was found to be a bad instrument cluster board. $450 dollars plus labor and tow. works great again, why would this go bad? who knows..................
  • For the Past Four Days Now the Back-up Lights for my '00 Dakota 4X4 4.7L V8 Have Been Staying on Ether With or With Out the Truck Running. Just Today the Tail Lights Started Doing the Same Thing. Oh One Other Thing is the Turn Signal Arrows Act up as Well the Right is Not Blinking & the Left One Is. I Can't Seem to Come up With a Way to Fix it if Anyone Can Help it Would be Really Appreciated.

Thanks
    Jason
  • I left my headlights on 2 days in a row (slow learner) on my 96 Dakota, draining the battery both times. First day I jumped it and the second day I push started. Battery charged right up both times just fine. Next time I drove at night I had no headlights, taillights, brake lights, dash lights, horn, the tack gauge acted crazy, brakes acted up, and abs light came on every time I try to use any of the above mentioned. At the same time the brakes are not functioning properly losing pedal as you come to a stop and pulsing. All these happened (99% sure) as a result of leaving headlights on and draining the battery (no prior problems). I've tried the fusses, relays, and headlight switch with no luck. Never seen such a weird set of elec problems, especially from leaving your headlights on. I would greatly appreciate any help in figuring out this very strange problem. Thanks, Dan
    PS: I see from reading this forum that these Dakotas seem to have have strange elec. issues, problems.
  • nolatnolat Posts: 1
    i have a good amount of automotive knowledge and this problem has me stumped can anyone help? heres the delema. i have a 1997 dodge dakota v6 3.9L 4x4. recently i noticed my battery gauge dropping when i drove. a few days after i noticed this my truck needed a jump very fequently. i figured it was a bad alternator as this exact thing happened on previous car. i tested the alternator and it came up good. the old battery was still good and would hold a charge on a load tester, but just for a try i replaced the battery with a brand new one with higher cranking amps and its still doing the same exact thing. whenever i start the car with no lights, radio, or heat the battery will get 14v. the minute i attempt to drive it, turn my lights on, turn my heat on, or turn my radio on it drops to just above 8v, and when i trun it off its completely dead and wont even crank. any ideas? id love to hear some feed back as i am without a vehicle. thanks for your time!
  • Same problem but what fusses where blown and any idea how to fix and at what cost? In need of my truck for work. Any help out there?
  • You should really check the big connector in the steering column, maybe even tilt if you can, to see if anything happens. My truck had all sorts of crazy light action going on...But i am super glad i didn't waste a couple hundred on a ctm switch. my big connector was melted out, but with a little patience and a mirror i was able to fix the problem with cheap generic wire connectors.
  • frug4frug4 Posts: 1
    I just replaced the headlights on my 2000 Dakota and now my right front turn signal flashes at twice the speed. I tried wiggling the harness to see if there is a short, but no improvement. Do I need to replace a flasher?
    Thanks,
    PDF
  • I have a 98 Dakota with a 5.2 engine. About 3 months ago when our cold weather first started (it went from about 10 above to 10 below, overnight) my left rear turn signal stopped working. I replaced the bulb shortly afterwards but found that the old bulb was still good, and the new bulb still doesn't work. Not long after that I started to notice some other slightly erratic behavior - the headlights and dash would start flickering lightly (not shutting off completely, just dimming and brightening very rapidly, but enough to notice). I also noticed the truck electrical cut out a couple times, for no reason, but usually when I stopped.

The battery is a few years old, and was just tested to have about 370 cranking amps, but I haven't had much problem starting it this winter. Last night I went to start my truck to go to work and found my battery almost dead, for no reason. I hadn't left any lights on, nor was the temperature really that bad, maybe about -3. Then about halfway to work, the entire electrical system cut out (while I was driving, not stopped). Lights, ignition, and radio all cut right out, like someone rapidly disconnected the battery then reconnected it again. The truck started again right away, and ran fine the rest of the way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • zzismezzisme Posts: 3
    I had that problem with my 2001 Dakota until it got so bad the lights would flicker like a strobe light! I had to replace the BCM and it cost me $700. When I got it replaced, the windows, door locks, fuel gauge, headlights, everything worked great!

This is the pickup from hell... I can't get it smogged cause of random misfire codes and some stupid transmission code. (even after replacing the BCM) I've had so many "sensors" and Modules replaced, I'm at the end of my rope. I love my pickup, but I can't drive it.

Good Luck, I wouldn't wish a pickup like this one on my worst enemy.
  • the gauges in my 96 dakota work just they seem to jump around a lot and my light for the right turn signal is always on in my dash also while sitting idle my rpm gauge like to jump up and down to 4000rpm or while im driving i will be doing 40 but it tell me im doing 110mph all my lights and signals work fine but it gets annoying when your gas gauge lies to you. is it just a loose ground? or how can i fix this?
  • rose37rose37 Posts: 2
    Over the last few weeks the door locks click like someones pushing the button, it does it constantly while the truck is parked. Last night it started starting on it's own, it has command start. We stopped it but 10 minutes later it was running again, ran for 15 minutes then shut down, 20 minutes later it started up again and after 15 minutes shut down. This went on a few times before we finally disconnected the battery.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
  • can someone please let me know what the fix it