Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• My power windows won't roll up or down. In addition the power outlet on the dashboard won't work. I suspect it is a blown fuse as everything else works. The manual is vague as to which fuse needs to be replaced. Can anyone translate the fuse diagram in the manual???
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Chrysler has a long tradition of not using a fuse to protect the power window circuits.

Look for a circuit breaker in the power distribution box.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Where can I find this distribution box?
    Not completely sure of an '07 at the moment, but on Dakotas there's an electrical panel the left side of the dash and a power distribution center under the hood adjacent to the battery. Your owner's manual should provide the necessary instruction on where to find them.

As I was reviewing your problem, I suspect that you have a short somewhere in the power window circuit. The circuit breakers used in automotive service are self-resetting, meaning once the short has been removed they reset automatically.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Went to the dealer and the problem was in fuse #31 which controls the power windows and the dashboard power outlet.

20 seconds later and a new fuse - everything works.

Word of caution - the dashboard power outlet is always on so if you leave your cell charger in it all the time (like I did) you will at some point overload the fuse and burn it out (like I did).
  • 95 dekota sport 3.9 auto headlights,brake lights dashlights all failed at same time.also abs and park brake light came on I checked all the ez stuff and i guess its time to pay the price :cry: any ideas what it might be? and what it costs to replace the body computer if thats what it is? :shades:
    Could be a Central Timer Module or a defective headlight switch. Both were common failure items on that vintage Dakota.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I have the same problem occuring with my 2001 Dakota. Only after the radio shuts down I have about two days till the battery is dead. Im pretty sure there is an internal short in the radio that draws power when the ignition is off. Was wondering how you remedied this problem.
    That may not be a problem.

Various computers...the Prowertrain Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module (TCM), Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM), the Anti-lock Brake Controller, and the radio just to name a few...draw memory keep-alive current when the ignition switch is in the off position.

The current draw is between 25 and 200 milliamperes depending 0n model and optional equipment. I recommend measuring the actual current before assuming an exceptional current draw.

If you have a factory original battery on a 2002, I would suspect that the real cause is the battery is beginning to die. A simple load test (Auto Zone or other auto parts store) can determine the battery condition.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • what can i do to find out what is killing my battery.have 88 dakota v-6.auto zone says alt. is good but this is second battery.i have pulled all fuses ex. horn,wipers,radio etc.truck runs for a couple of days and the battery is dead.i have just started working on this truck. it was thrusted upon me because it belongs to my nephew so i don't know what the other mech. have done to it.thanks in advance :D
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Question:
    "what can i do to find out what is killing my battery"

Answer:
    1st - make certian that the charging system is working.
    If that is OK - Use an ammeter to isolate which circuit is drawing current when engine is not running. Once you know which main circuit is the culprit... then troubleshoot to isolate the problem using successive approximation and isolation techniques.
  • quick check for charging system? i'm not electriclly inclined.
  • I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT 2 wheel drive pick up. The following lights are not working as of a day ago. Head Lights, Marker Lights, Instrument Panel Lights, Interior Lights, and License plate lights, the power door locks stopped working as well. Directionals, brake lights and back up lights still work. I've checked all the fuses and they all looked good. There was a post a while ago about an earlier model with a similar problem, (post # 41 I believe, titled "Lack of Lights". Any ideas on how to fix this? All help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian
  • This seems to be related to the problem described in message 103, but with some differences. Number one difference, mine is consistent. It started this morning, and does it every time as follows: Turn on the key (not necessary to start engine, but same sequence of events if you do start the engine). None of the guages move off the peg at sero. After about 5 seconds, the "Check Guages" light comes on, followed by check engine light, abs light, low fuel, and one or two other lights. At this time the Odometer display begins to blink. After another few seconds of blinking, the odometer display changes to "no bus". The engine runs normally ( I guess ), the lights, turn signals, and radio work normally. The A/C quits blowing cold (BIG issue in Tampa Florida). I checked under the hood for any obvious corrosion but have found nothing alarming. Any suggestions what to check next?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I purchased a simple gizmo from Wallmart that plugs into the ciggerete-lighter socket. It has a digital display of voltage. It allows one to monitor system voltage while under normal driving conditions.

Basically, if you do not see at least 14.8 volts at all times while engine it running, then charging system is suspect.
  • i thank you for your help
  • did you find a solution? how bad was the sticker shock on the bill?
  • I have a '95 Dakota 2WD 3.9L V6 that has developed some weird issues in the past 2 weeks when I try and start it. I left town so I didn't drive the truck for about 5 days, and when I came back the only way I could get the truck to start was by turning the headlights on. When it finally started up, the radio was reset as if the battery had been disconnected. This happened maybe 2 or 3 times during the next week.

About a week after the initial problem the headlights would not turn on, however when I held back the turn signal switch the high beams came on. The next day I looked at the headlight switch and there were black marks on the terminal connecting the wire for the low beams, so I cleaned up the terminal and replaced the headlight switch and the low beams worked again. About an hour later I tried to start the truck and nothing happened, I turned on the headlights and it cranked right up, so I'm guessing the headlight switch isn't what was causing my problem.

Yesterday I turned the key to the on position and there were no dash lights, no buzzer, and the headlights wouldn't come on. I turned the key back to the accessory position and the radio and a/c turned on, so the battery seemed fine. I turned the key back to the on position, left it there for about 5 or 10 minutes, and the dash lights and buzzer slowly faded up, and once they turned on I turned the key and it started up fine. It's done the same thing twice since then, each time taking a little longer for the dash lights and buzzer to turn on.

All of the issues seem to be related to the truck starting, because I haven't had any problems with electrical equipment with the key in the accessory position or while the truck is running, but I'm completely stumped at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Brian,

Have you gotten a answer to your question? I am now having the same problem. Let me know what the out come was for your truck.

Thank you in advance!