Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• marc05marc05 Posts: 1
    Really need help. Nebraska weather. Battery was dead this morning. So I bought a new battery at trusty walmart. Put it on know truck sounds funny and won't stay at idle unless i give it gas. 98 dodge dakata 4x4, 3.9 Need help asap
  • gwaltgwalt Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L. I turn on the head lights and there is a delay of 30 seconds to 5 minutes and the dome light flashes with the doors open like a strobe light until the headlights turn on. I have replaced the switch and swapped the horn relay with the head light relay also have checked the wiring and wiggle tested. Another odd thing is the head lamp bulb clicks while the switch is in the on position and lamps not on.(strange). My next thing I am considering is the convenience box at the left kick panel,any suggestions are appreciated!
  • We have a dodge dakota and the headlights will go off and on intermittently. The dash switch has been replaced, as well as turn signal arm wiring... the problem still persists... usually after driving it for 10-15 minutes.. stereo seems to be doing same thing at same time.. read about alternator issues with advance.. alternator was replaced as well, but after problem started... any other wiring harness that could be causing short? Has already been a expensive diagnosis from mechanices who seem not to know how to fix.
  • my 01 started intermittently flashing on and off the airbag light..then the switch for the passenger window wouldn't work from the passenger door, but would from the driver's controls (fixed..dirty elec contact). then the heater fan stopped working on 1-3 but works on 4. horn doesn't work, but the horn sounds when I use the remote door lock... horn switch? now the rear passenger window doesn't work from either the door or the driver controls. any help??? I absolutely love this truck and hope that this gradual disintegration of the electric system is related to cheap chinese switches moreso than due to inherent design problems. thanks
  • Well the heater fan is really easy. It is a variable resistor and is somewhere between $10-$15 from the dealer I believe for your year it is behind the glove box and is about a 10-15 minute job.

Ron
  • thanks ron for th info...just need to take care of the horn and airbag light now.
    greg
  • I have an issue with my headlights and dash lights randomly blinking off. I replaced the switch and still have the problem. Now I don't know what to look for next. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Just recently the the heater fan switch would only operate on the 2 lower speeds in my 1995 Dodge Dakota. It is a 318 ci without air conditioning. Since then I have replaced the temperature control switch module and it still only works on the 2 lower speeds. I have read the postings and understand that it could be the resistor board or the fan motor itself. Where is the resistor board located? If it is not the resistor board how difficult is it to replace the fan motor?
  • erictl - Your problem is that your variable resistor needs to be replaced. Depending upon your year it is located on the firewall in the engine compartment or behind the glove box. It is a $10-$15 replacement part at your dealership and takes about 15 minutes to replace. When you go to the parts counter they will be able to tell you the exact location.

Ron
  • Thank you Ron. I finally was able to get the resistor and install it and it did the trick. I now have the high speed on the defroster. Unfortunately I now have an extra fan/temperature control.

Eric
  • The blower fan for my 2004 Dakota stopped working, the blower motor checks out OK, the thermistor sensor checked out OK, there are no fuses blown that I can see, unless I'm missing one. If I have the AC button turned on & I turn on the fan switch, the light for the AC comes on, but the blower motor doesn't, so the switch seems to be working, or is it? It seems that power isn't making it to the blower motor. What's the problem? My wife uses this vehicle and she has no heat or defrosters, I need help getting her off my back about fixing this. Any advise will be helpful & greatly appreciated. :)
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    my goodness.... read the archives. There are literally 100s of accounts of the blower-resistor burning up.

BTW: I have been working on vechiles for over 30 years and am trained in electronics... but do not know what "thermistor sensor" would do in relation to a blower-motor. There is , however, a sensor WITHIN all electric motors (federal safety law) that will open up if the windings get too hot. Is this the sensor you are refering to?

Your problem should be easy enough to troubleshoot and isolate with a DVM (DigitalVoltMeter)
  • bpeebles, thanks for your answer, I am glad you have been working on vehicles (not vechiles) for over 30 years and that you are trained in electronics as well. I however, am just an everyday "Joe" trying to save a buck, who is brand new to forums, this is my first, and I don't work on cars, but can hold my own when I know what to do, so it would have been nice for you to just tell me that the resistor is probably my problem and that I can find it under the dash on the passenger side of the vehicle and that it will cost only about $15 to replace and its held in by two screws. In the future, I will make it a point to better research the situation so as not to disturb you with my obviously foolish question. A 20+ year Dodge Service Manager kindly answered my question and sent me a diagram as well, and he wasn't condescending in any way. In any case, I hope you have a better day then you are having today and a Merry Christmas.
  • I have issue with headlights parklites and dash lights blinking off. I replaced little black relay at driver door post, but did not fix. I can feel it click when they blink.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    I am sorry you came away feeling that way... Perhaps you looked at this forum as your own personal question-and-answer session?

Your question was not foolish... but it has been asked sooooo mannnnyyyy times that it got old about 3 years ago.

I am glad you will take the time to research BEFORE asking. Perhaps, in the end, you will have gaind somthing more than just an answer to your immedeate question.

I beleive in teaching a man to fish instead of just feeding him. I hope you understand what I mean here. 8-)
  • I have replaced the light switch and this did not fix the electrical issue. I need some help on what will or might be a repair. Parking light relay has been replaced also.
  • i have a 1993 dakota v8 when i turn the key on i blow the 40 amp ignition fusedlink whats going on i have a multimeter. i'm not real familier with this vehicle if anyone could give me any help would be much appriciated
    thanks
  • When I move my steering wheel into position to drive and I have my headlamps on they will turn off when I move the steering wheel down. All the way up and away from the driver they stay on. High beam works in any position.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Sounds like your multifunction (turn/dimmer/wiper) switch is going bad, or its wires within the steering column are caught/crimped in the area of the tilt.

kcram - Pickups Host.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• I have an 04 Dakota. Recently, my headlights, parking lights, dash lights, interior lights, intermittent wipers (low and high wiper works ok) and the power locks stopped working. I disconnected the battery for about an hour, reconnected it and they all started working. Now, I have to disconnect the battery constantly, and for longer periods. I had a repair shop hook it up to a computer but they said that there was nothing wrong, nor could they explain the strange behavior. Before I pay another $170, any suggestions?