Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Electrical Problems

Comments

• Amazing!

My '05 Dakota 4x4 does the exact same thing. I am having the same problem with the dealers in Calgary. They can't seem to find anything wrong with it (no codes). I lose all electrical (gu ages, radio, door locks, & lights), but only for a split second. However I have noticed it only occurs when my gas gauge is below 1/2 a tank. When the guage is down, somedays it will do it only once on a 20 mintue drive and has happened as much as 5 or 6 times.

I had accepted the fact that it would never go away. I wonder if the previous owner had done any home wiring. The dealer says there is no record of this happening prior to when I began bringing the truck in in November. Unfortunately, my warranty expired, before I even bought the truck last year.
  • I have a 2001 Dakota Quad with 100,000 miles on it. Twice in the last week I was driving at medium speeds and the radio lost power. At the same time the radio went dead the turn signal would not work/blink. Also believe heater/air conditioner might of shut down (not sure). The truck has a new battery (6 months old) and I replaced all the basic fuses a month ago. When I stop the truck and then restart everything then comes back on as if normal. I assume I have a short some where in the electrical system buy have no idea how to located it. Has anyone had a similar electrical problem and is it costly to have it checked out? Dodge Dakotas supposedly have poor electrical systems, and I'm starting to wonder if the problem could spread to other electrical areas of the truck. I did notice my interior dome lights worked when I lost radio/turn signals. Guess I should check head lights, wind shield wipers etc., during next electrical cut off.

Any suggestions what action to take? Someone mentioned going to Walmart and buying a plug in device to check the voltage (while driving) via the cigerrete lighter? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • The defrost action on my side rearvision mirrors isn't functioning. There are no blown fuses in my fuse rack on the driver's side of the dash board. Are there any resistors that conceivable could have failed?? If so, Where would they be located?
  • randy90randy90 Posts: 1
    my problem is when powered up to 2500rpms it drops back to 2000 rpms back and forth and sometimes dies as a result. thought it was tranny but now not so sure. was told maybe computer. check engine light is now on. looked under hood and found breather box lid not properly secured but that seems like a stretch.truck has 92000 miles on it , and has been very reliable til this. thank you for any advice
  • cm2381cm2381 Posts: 4
    MWSMITTY,

Did you ever find out what caused the problem? I have the same problem. I replaced the relay and found that it was not the problem. A tech at a dealership advised that I replace the headlight switch. I changed that out and the problem is still there. Any thing you can add?

Thanks,

cm2381
    dpafrog,

did the light switch work? I replaced mine and I still have the problem.
    dodge01driver,

Did the CTM fix your problem? I'm having the same symptoms.

Chris
  • todaytoday Posts: 2
    Hi , I have a 90' dodge dakota 4 cyl. pickup. going 50 miles an hour and just stops running. No spark plug fire. No spark from coil center line. Distributor coupler disconnect - cross lines 2 an 3 and no spark from coil. Coil is good. check for open in lines 2 and 3, good to comp. Negative line from computer to coil is positive charge 12 volt when ignition is on, No charge on the positive line to the coil. When ignition is turned on a charge of voltage is measured in meter at distributor coupler line number 1 orange- then goes away.
    Why no spark?
    Why positive charge on negative line to Coil?
    Why does charge on line 1 go away?
    Coil good.
    Lines clear.
    Battery good 12 volt.
    Fuel pump good with fuel.
    fuses good.
    tires have air :-) Today
  • davensjdavensj Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dakota also and it`s been doing the samething. The radio cuts out and so does my turn signals. Everything else works fine.
  • i have a 2004 Dakota Quad Cab 4wd and i was going through a concrete low water crossing when it bottomed out and the dash lights when out.. i checked every fuse in the driver side dash panel and everyone under the hood... but the gauge lights and the air conditioner knob lights wont come on.. anyone with a good answer would be greatly appreciated.. :confuse:
  • kc8wjgkc8wjg Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota with 160000 miles. One evening, the headlights failed as I was driving home, and I had to use the high beams, though I had to pull back on the dimmer switch manually (for over 10 miles.) As soon as I let go of the switch, the highbeams went off, and they would not stay on by themselves The parking lights and all others are fine. My mechanic said it was likely the turn signal/dimmer switch assembly on the steering column was bad. I replaced it myself, but it did no good. The headlight switch was replaced several months ago when I had an earlier problem so it is ruled out for the time being. I'm convinced that it's a fuse or relay problem under the hood. All of the fuses in the cab are fine. The fuse box or PDC (?) on the drivers side next to the battery contains several large square fuses, but I have no way of testing them, and don't know what all of them are as I have no owner's manual.

Please email me at KC8WJG@aol.com with any help or relevant comments.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    As noted in the post box instructions, we have no way of preventing malicious use of your email - please do not put your email address in your posts.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• kdulaffkdulaff Posts: 2
    I had same prob with my 2006 Dakota this am.
    Key does not turn (like it's the wrong key!)
    I hope the "mallet" suggestion works.
    This truck is new (only 10,000 mi)

I saw another post where a guy had a locksmith fix it...twice!
  • jac11jac11 Posts: 3
    I ended up taking the ignition lock out, cleaning it and lubing it up, but it began doing the same thing in a few days. Finally broke down and bought a new ignition lock cylinder from carlocksandkeys.com for around $40, very quick turn around with 2 day shipping. Easy replacement on my '01 Dakota, now I have 2 different keys, one for door and one for ignition, not big deal with door remotes.
  • kdulaffkdulaff Posts: 2
    After reading @ the "mallet solution", I just pushed the key with a little more force
    into the lock and turned it normally. It turned. Subsequently the lock works fine.

But I'll make a note of carlocksandkeys.com just in case.
  • lostcitylostcity Posts: 2
    I have a 97 conventional cab Dakota with a V-6 Engine. This past winter I have noted that the interior lights stay on even when the engine is started. They have started staying on longer and longer now and I have had to take the bulbs out. I suspect it may be a door jam switch. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance
  • I have a 1990 dakota. Only one of the instrument lights work. The turn signal indicators, and all the "idiot" lights on the bottom of cluster do not work. Also the high beam indicator does not work.

Where do I look? The fuses are all good....
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Posts: 159
    Today I noticed that my horn also didn't work. 2001 Quad cab. I also love my truck,
    with 91k miles. I haven't noticed anyother electical problems, the horn beeps with
    the remote lock.
    When I touch the horn/aibag pad it seems like the center pad is not as hard to press,
    seems like something is missing? It presses in very easy where before, it took
    fire presure to blow the horn? Could be me,,,,,,,,,,
    Strange, I also just got my truck back from dealer to have the water pump replaced.
    Mick
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Well, the fact that you're getting an Air Bag lamp illumination AND the horn doesn't work, my first suspect is the clockspring. Could be a faulty horn relay. Your dealer should be able to quickly determine the problem.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • lostcitylostcity Posts: 2
    Well swapped out the door switch and no joy. Still doing the same thing. Any ideas?