Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tundra Vibration

vibrationvibration Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Tundra developed a slight vibration at approx
40mph=has 6500 miles. Anyone have a similar
experience?

Comments

• Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    This happened last year. Take the Dunlops off, get some Michelin's. Get the new tires balanced and get your truck aligned. I also went up to 265 on the Michelin's. My Toyota dealer bought the Dunlops back. Good Luck!
  • Options
    ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    3100+ miles and no vibration.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Agree, that's high mileage for a toy to not be vibrating...
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    the big bad Tundra has vibration problems?..say it isn't so....wow..a whole 3100 miles?....congrats!

- Tim
  • Options
    ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    Yeah I work it hard going to work. 5 miles each way.

And oh, on one of the intersections I go through, the pedestrian crosswalk is made out of red bricks. Real rough but my truck can take it.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Is the problem with the 2x4 & or 4x4 trucks?

I have seen two 2x4 Tundras driving down the road with one rear wheel so out of balance it looked like the wheel was about to come off or maybe it was a bent rim. Both times it was the drivers side rear.
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Only affect 4X2's. This is true with any make.
  • Options
    arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    Not just 4x2s from what I've gathered. There appears to be a problem with tires slipping on the steel wheels throwing the balance off. There may be a tolerance issue with the steel wheels (a little on the small side in the bead area?) that may be contributing to this - not sure, just a guess. I haven't seen near the problems with the Limited style (AL option on SR5) 5 spoke aluminum alloy wheels. Mine has been near perfect with no tire slippage and no vibrations.

Chevy 4x2s have had vibration problems, due in part, I think, to the new rack-and-pinion steering. The Chevy 4x4s don't use this setup. Both the Tundra 4x2 and 4x4 use rack-and-pinion steering.
  • Options
    issue was a 2 part driveshaft.

- Tim
  • Options
    rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    You domestic guys should be ashamed! How many times are you going to invent a new Tundra (insert problem) topic! The creator of the topic is calling himself "vibration" and his name is "John". Truly a pitiful attempt to divert attention from the many, many serious Silverado problems.
  • Options
    arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    In reply to post #9, I'm pretty sure there is a vibration problem with Chevy 4x2s that is related to the rack and pinion. Obyone mentions a TSB on this in Topic #2158.
  • Options
    there is?....I heard more probs with the 2 piece driveshaft.

And there was the tire theory..

may have been all 3?...I didn't follow it too much as I did not have the problem with a 2500.

- Tim
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    to at least get the problems of the 2wd 'rados correct.

1- Vibrations - linked to tire, rack and pinion, steel rims. Bottom line...only fix appears to be buyback from GM....

2- Launch shudder- 2 piece driveshaft...adjust pinion angle. Sometimes works sometimes not.

3- Driveline growl- Torque converter lockup...no fix available. TSB works for some and definitely not for all

I guess that about sums up the major problems with the 2wd 1500. Tim's right on this one...$3K more...buy a 2500. I should have...maybe still will...

Dean
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    with the 2500 I could get eight additional lug nuts....2 with each tire...LOL

Dean

Must be this Kwajalien air getting to me...
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.