Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Tires and Wheels

Comments

• mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 818
    edited September 2010
    they determined that the tire had been switched, because it has a different serial number than the other 3 tires on my car.

The tires may have numbers that are close to each other, but they won't have exactly the same numbers. Serial numbers are a "series" of numbers which is unique to each tire.
  • I wasn't sure it would either, but was really hoping for a miracle lol.

At this point I'm really hoping that the Michelin Customer Service comes through for me, they seemed really helpful and took all of my info which is hopefully a good sign but I will keep the board posted as to what happens next.

BTW...in case anyone was wondering what dealership I have been dealing with, it's Bay Ridge Honda in Brooklyn, NY
  • Actually I should have worded it correctly....tires do not have serial numbers. They have DOT numbers which basically tell you the month and year the tire was manufactured. Three of my tires are all the same and then the fourth is different and after closer inspection the fourth tire is actually a different model as well.

I learned all of this information from the Michelin Customer Service Dept. who were very helpful and also very clear that the tire was definitely switched at some point because brand new cars would all have tires with the same DOT number.

But it basically comes down to my word against theirs, but I know that I have never taken the car to another shop for work and have never even had a flat tire that I would have needed fixed.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,434
    well, no idea on the TPMS, but I highly doubt it does. especially if it is the more simple versin, which just indicates a tire is low.

not sure what the serial # has to do with it. I would be shocked if the dealer actually recorded the #s when the car was delivered, You would see this if you bought aftermarket (at a tire shop) and got a road hazard warranty. But on new cars? Can't believe it.

and Honda at the factory has a giant supply of tires sitting around. Entirely possible that you got 3 produced at about the same time, and 1 from a different run.

You don't mention the mileage, but I doubt it is very high. Tires have a tread wear warranty on them anyway (through michelin), so if nothing else, you would likely get a decent discount on the new one for that.

That price is also pretty high. You can certainly stop at an authorized michelin shop to have them look at it, and they can also handle any warranty replacement (and likely charge less for the tire to start with).

and there has to be a reason for a tire to wear that abnormally fast. If the alignment is way out, it can do it, That should be checked at the same time.

finally, the 9/10 I dont think is not a scale. It is an actual tread depth mesurement. New, it was 10/32" deep. so at 18 months, barely worn at all. 3/32 is pretty much at the wear bars, meaning time to replace.

that is the only way I have ever seen it presented, so I assume 9/10 means 9 out of the original 10 left. Unless they are doing some funny base 10 scale, but in that case, 3/10 would = ~9/32 anyway!

certainly a good idea to go back to have the dealer call michelin with you, but again, it really is not a dealer issue, it is a tire/michelin/you issue.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

tires have dot #s that tell month/day of manufacture. That is true. But they also have serial numbers, because I have had them written down when i bought tires and got the RHW.

honestly, the only other thing I can think of, as strange as it sounds, is that someone stole your wheel/tire, and replaced it with one that was shot.

the strange part isn't doing it (since you are in NYC!), the strange part is putting the old one on so you would not notice! that, and only doing 1.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Posts: 113
    edited September 2010
    I know in our family, someone ran over a curb with one car, blowing the tire. They got one of the same type put on, but it was far lower on tread, to try and cover up their little 'Oops'.

Most tire shops have a rack of cast offs that they keep for just such an occasion, or for when someone brings a flat in that can't be patched.

Of course there is always the high likelihood of two Hondas with the same type rims getting tire service at the dealer, and some lackey mixing up part of one set with another while using the tire balancer. It's not unknown for a shop to temporarily borrow a wheel from a new car to troubleshoot something that they are having a hard time fixing - I would hope they would never use a customers wheel for that (and especially neglect to put it back!).
  • Well, I just wanted to update everyone on the situation I have been dealing with regarding the tire on my Honda. We spoke to Michelin and found out that there is no way of finding out where a specific tire was sold to, but after explaining to situation to them, they advised us to go back to the Honda Service Center and then call Michelin back so that they could speak to the manager. It seemed to me that they weren't very surprised to hear my story either.

So we went back to Honda and after having a rep from Michelin speak to the Honda manager for over an hour, they were getting no where. Micheline ended up giving us 35% off a new tire just because of the agrivation we were going through, but Honda would do nothing. And on top of it, the Service Manager kept telling my husband that I had to be lying to him about ever getting a flat. Well, that basically ended our conversation with them and realized we weren't getting anywhere.

So it ended up costing us $192 for a new tire that should have never even been taken off in the first place. And the bottom line is that I would never go back to the Bay Ridge Honda Service Center again or even recommend it to anyone!! Our lease is also up in about 18 months and before this happened we were planning to buy a Pilot from the same dealership, but not after this...I would never give this dealership or service center another penny of my money and I would advise anyone that does go there not to just drop their car off for service and then leave because who knows what they are willing to do to the cars there.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Can't blame you for not wanting to go back to that dealer. Amazing story.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    edited September 2010
    I got the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treds which gave me a quiet and very comfortable ride for my Harsh riding 02 Accord V6. Get 'em at a place that offers free rotations and balance. They do not handle precisely,or turn in quickly,but they are soft and quiet,compared to Michelin. Keep up with the rotations 'cause they won't last the 80k warranty. Hope this helps someone.
  • Did something similar way back on a parents 1999 Accord LX-V6. Ditched the V rated Bridgestone Turanza tires for Goodyear Integrity 2 tires (IIRC they were T rated).

Going to the non-speed rated tires allows a softer tire, with the less sharp handling and the longer wear. Of course the lack of the V speed rating means not going over a sustained 112 MPH with the T rated replacements....IIRC the 99 V6 is electronically limited to 140MPH.

Can't really do this with the Gen 8 accord, as I don't think you can get a 50 series tire without the speed rating. It's just too much of a typical performance tire size.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,443
    T rating is 118, S is 112.

I also plan to ditch the V-rated turanzas that came on my SE, but I will stick with H (130) as a replacement. Will most likely get the Michelin Primacy MXV4 - excellent ratings by CR and extremely low rolling resistance.

Still on my original tires at 91k. That is a little misleading though because I run snows in the winter. Probably have 55k on the OE turanzas - another benefit of high pressure (40psi) is longer tire life. And my tread wear is absolutely even.
    I have 85k on my OEM Bridgestones so you aren't too far off, dud. Those who got OEM Michelins have not faired nearly as well, based on comments posted here.
    edited September 2010
    Get 'em at Discount Tire where you can return them no charge within 30 days and get a different tire. Free liftime rotations and balance. FYI,I tried the Michelin Destinys/Harmonys on my '02 Accord V6. Easier turn in and more precise handling.....but less comfortable and objectionable road whine at 60 mph. Took 'em back and paid $86 more to try the Primacy MXV4. Surprise,Surprise!!!!! Absolutely,Harsh,jarring ride! However,the Primacys were noticeably more quiet at highway speeds than the Destinys. Took 'em back within 24 hours. Exchanged for the new GY Comfort Tred Touring Tire. More comfortable than the Michelins and more quiet than the Michelins. Acceptable,but I'm going back to the garden variety Comfort Treds next change. Hope my experience,with these tires,on this car , helps.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    edited September 2010
    Nope. I managed 50k on my Michelins before changing. There was treadlife left, but the sidewalls were full of minute cracks, and frankly, the wet-traction was scary.
  • Thanks for fixing the speed rating. I was too lazy to look it up and verify that I had the S and T straight - they are fairly close.

The oem bridgestone turanzas on the 99 accord lx-v6 were low on tread by the 40k mark. Since the snow traction was very mediocre, changed them out for the first set of goodyear integrity2 tires (car is on the second set now). Had them as a replacement set on a company turdstar (my nickname for windstar) and they worked well overall, so picked them for the honda. Pep boys had a nice price on them.
    Don't worry re the tread life. Get a tire with a good warranty,keep up with rotations,then get a credit for the unused portion of the warranty period should the tire wear out prematurely. I want my tires to wear out in 4-5 years so I can get a credit and fresh rubber.
    Just returned from having my car serviced.... hit 86k miles on the way home. Still good tread left on my OEM Bridgestones. Front brakes were good, rears were at 2.5 mm so they'll need to be replaced soon.

Service guy was as amazed as I am how long the tires and brakes are lasting. I love this car.

06 EX-L w/navi I4 manual
  • I bought a new 2010 Honda Accord LX-P last week. It came with 17" alloy wheels instead of 16" alloy wheels that usually come with LX-Ps. They they swapped EX wheels & tires to my LX-P.

Initially I was happy because I got EX wheels which are bigger and look better. I am not happy anymore after reading on the internet. It seems bigger wheels are not necessarily always good an it will have impact on transmission and mileage.

Should I be worried here? Thanks a lot. This is a great website.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,443
    blufz - Interesting that you returned the Primacy's. We got new Michelin tires for my wife's Sienna last summer and they seemed like beach balls at first. Very bouncy and seemed way overinflated when they were not. This went away after a few weeks. Maybe it has something to do with breaking in - not sure.

mahimminn - going to 17" wheels will use slightly more gas and the ride may be a little harsher, but neither will be by a huge amount. If the outer diameter is the same (and it should be) there won't be any effect on the transmission.
    edited October 2010
    I think the 02 V6 Accords have a rep for rough riding. Always got 40-45 k on the oem Michelins on 3 different accords. Best ride is as follows: 1. GY Ctrteds...2.GY ctred tourings....3. Michelin Destiny/Harmonys...4. Michelin Primacys. Best tred life so far Michelins. Tire warranty 80k except for Primacy which,I think,was 60k. Perhaps my shocks need replacing at 109k? Just FYI. Don't want anyone to be stuck with a tire they don't like. My best advice is to get tires at a place that allows no charge replacement tires for the first 30 days after you buy a new set. That way you've got 2 or 3 shots to get a tire you like. Buying at Discount tire helped me out in this regard.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    My best advice is to get tires at a place that allows no charge replacement tires for the first 30 days after you buy a new set. That way you've got 2 or 3 shots to get a tire you like. Buying at Discount tire helped me out in this regard.

Wouldn't that mean the new tires you buy could have 30 days worth of miles on them? I find it hard to believe they send all those "test drive" tires back to the factory.

In my case the 30 days would not have been enough. The Bridgestones I have were great when brand new, but now they howl on some roads. I don't think Discount tire would take them back now, with 35k miles on them. I hate to buy new tires when the Bridgestones still have plenty of grip, and perform great. I certainly wouldn't buy them again, knowing how loud they get at only half their lifespan.
    edited October 2010
    Good to hear from you Elroy. Hope you are well. I don't know what they do with the returned tires. The requirements are, you keep up with the rotations(6k), which are free at DT. When the tread gets down to the warranty(worn out) depth, they credit you with the purchase price you paid x the remaining time the tire was warrantied to last, that it did not last. Ex. you paid $400 for the tires and they have an 80k warranty. They are worn out at 60k.....so 20/80 x $400 = $100 credit on the replacement set of tires.
    they resell them as specials, disclosing that they are take offs. Can get a pretty good deal on those too.

I used this program once. No muss, no fuss. Put something cheaper on my maxima (generals I think, when they had just come out with a new line that seemed promising). Felt squirrelly, and I just did not like them, so i took them back and got Dunlops that I had planned to get in the first place.

• capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 795
    "......I find it hard to believe they send all those "test drive" tires back to the factory......"

Well, they do!

First, it's not very many.

Second, most dealers are smart enough to allow the customer only one changeover. Only PITA customers would need more than one try.

Third, tire manufacturers record who sends these tires back - and if a dealer was sending back too many, he'd start being charged for them. So the dealer has an incentive to get it right the first time.
    edited October 2010
    PITA is a relative term. From the Customer's perspective,it's a PITA to be told,by the tire salesman, tire A rides better than tire B............. when,if fact,...........Tire B rides better than tire A.
    So which is it? They sell them as "specials" or send them back to the manufacturer? My Bridgestones are not worn much at all, at 35k miles, but they are getting louder and louder as the tread wears. I really doubt they would take them back at this point. They might give me a credit, say $100, for them if I bought a new set from them. I'm still looking for that perfect tire, and haven't had much luck so far, I've used Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, and Dunlop before, and they all had their drawbacks.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 795
    "So which is it? They sell them as "specials" or send them back to the manufacturer?........"

Certainly a tire dealer (who is an independent businessman) can do what he likes, but the tire manufacturer will accept them back if the tires meet the terms.

".....My Bridgestones are not worn much at all, at 35k miles, but they are getting louder and louder as the tread wears. I really doubt they would take them back at this point..........."

The terms include a time limit - usually 30 days. Needless to say a tire with 35K would not qualify.

But if I were to diagnose your noise level problem, I'd say you have an alignment issue.
    I don't have an alignment problem. The tires are wearing great, and are quiet on some roads. Slightly coarse pavement, however, will make them sound like mud grips. The Turanzas have much more grip, especially on wet pavement, and are more durable (thicker and heavier) than the original Michelin MXV4 Energy tires IMO. I guess the road noise is the price I pay for all that traction.
  • cuweindcuweind Posts: 11
    I bought a 2008 Honda Accord LX Sedan manual Transmission and never changed the tires till date. Currently the car has 54,300 miles. I don't know much about the car maintenance and therefore request to let me know:

1) The manufacturer's standard tires (215/60-16) life expentancy?

2) How to know when you change the tires?

3) Ideal tire brand with lesser road noise and efficient handling?
    1) life depends on how and where you drive, and if you maintain the car. You might get 60K out of them, or 30K. Proper inflation, regular rotation, and making sure it is kept in alignment (a major early killer of tires is being out of alignment) gives you the best shot at a long life. But, anything over 40K is probably "normal"

2) the legal way is when tread depth falls below a certainly level (probably 3/32). Which is also about when the tread is down to the wear bars. You can do the lincoln's head penny test, or just feel for the wear bars in the tread. Or stop at any tire place for a free check. If you get oil changes at the dealer, they usually tell you what the measurement is.

a more practical way to know when it is time to replace is when they stop working well, usuallly in the wet (they get slippery or "squirrly" ) and for sure the snow. I prefer to change them a little early for safety/peace of mind, instead of milking every mile out of a set of baldies.

3) everyone has opinions on brands. And what works for them. The Michelins I believe tend to be good on noise, but you often trade off comfort for handling. I would say look at reviews/tests on different options at tirerack.com. THere is a ton of info over there, but be prepared for some contradictions in the owner comments!