Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F250 - 5.4,V10 or Diesel?

bdcm1688bdcm1688 Posts: 3
edited April 2 in Ford
I am looking at buying a 99 F250/4WD/Ext or Crew
cab and can't decide which engine to get. I would
use it to commute (70mi.RT) to work 98% of the time
but pull a 5000 lb. camper 4-5 times per year and
want to have enough power to do the job. I am
currently pulling it with a 95 suburban with a
350/3:43 rear end and it seems to be in a strain
compared to my friends who pull same size campers
much easier with F150 with 5.4's. Is the 5.4 enough
in a 250? Love the diesel but struggling a bit
with the noise and justification of the cost
difference for no more weight I pull and the
frequency of use. Also hearing horror stories about
V10 gas mileage. I would greatly appreciate any
feedback from owners. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    Get the 5.4, if you ask me. Whether you get the Superduty or half ton, get the 3.73 rear end. it should pull fine. the Surburban was hurting because of the 3.42 rear end, its just too tall of a gear for a 6,000 lb vehicle--i used to have that combo. The 5.4 has great power and seems to be getting good mileage from reports on this BB ,though i haven't heard any first hand reports on it.

You'll never justify the cost of the diesel pulling only 5 times a year. as a daily commuter, the 5.4 should get only 1 or 2 mpg worse than the diesel.
  • exactly the input I need. much appreciated. Do you know how to easily determine the rear end ratio for the 1/2 ton or 250. I know its in the VIN or another label somewhere but not sure. Some salespeople don't readily know and I would like to be able to get that info over the phone without me driving all over north GA.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    the 3:42 rear end is the problem why you think a 350 is not enough....a 3:73 would be best for commuting..although i would get a 4:10...or whatever Ford offers?....4:30?

Don't waste the $$$$ for 98% commuting on a diesel...unless that 2% towing was a lot more than 5K.

The Ford V-10 ain't much to write home about. Chevy's V-8 6.0 just about does the same thing.

Get the 5.4...maybe even a 1/2 ton?....although 3/4's make better commuters as well....as I know first hand. Almost 20K on the 00 Silverado 2500 and it has rode farr better than any 1/2 ton I ever had....especially on the highway.

Good Luck

- Tim
  • Thanks, Tim. Are you saying that the F250 may ride better than the 150 for commuting? I always thought the suspension on the 3/4 tons would be stiffer.
    i don't know Ford's specific engine codes. You might be able to look in the owner's manual and find the code corresponding with the rear ends. I know mine has it corresponding to engine, never looked for axle. Thats all I know to do...
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    Tim is speaking of Chevy expierence. When considering Fords, the half-ton is a better ride empty than the Super-duty. You may want to consider a F-150 with the 5.4 and get the heavy tow/load suspension. It comes with stiffer suspension and larger raditor/brakes. It used to be the F-250LD which they discontinued last year.
  • redufo2redufo2 Posts: 13
    If you running 70 miles per day at 50 + mph you notice approx. 1-2 mpg difference with the 5.4 vs the 6.8 using the 3.73 gearing. I'm getting 14-15 mpg hwy at 50-65 mph unloaded with the V10 in a 4x4 sd cc w/auto trans and 3.73. The 5.4 will shine when in stop and go traffic and short 6 mile RT commute. I only get 11mpg +/- 1 mpg on an in town stop and go 6 mile RT commute (the V10 eats alot at idle when compared to a V8). The truck pulls like hell when at 4500 rpm but can suck a 25 gallon tank dry in less than 200 miles.

5.4 with 3.73 or 4.10 if you can still get Ford to put it in is my best fit for under 3 tons. Over 3 tons the bigger motor will make you smile a little more when towing. Over 5 tons look at the V10 with 4.30 or the diesel with 4.10 or 3.73.

good luck

EEE
  • fbroomfbroom Posts: 29
    Your original post indicated you were looking for a 99 SD. Given the weight trailer you're looking at pulling the low frequency of pulls, I agree that a diesel would be overkill and hard to justify cost wise. Personally, I would stay away from the 99 vintage V10. I've read numerous posts regarding piston slap problems with this engine, which can lead to high oil usage and ultimately premature engine failure. Sometime during the production year, Ford corrected this problem but I don't know when. That leaves the 5.4. It's a solid engine, but keep in mind that the Super Duty weighs about 1000 lbs more (empty) than the F150. Personally, I would go with the 4.10 or 4.30 gearing to keep acceleration acceptable. But again, that's a matter of personal preference. As far as me, I have a 00 F250 SD SC, V10, Auto, 4X2, 3.73 LS. It's an awesome truck and I average 14-15 mpg empty on daily commutes to work (25 miles one way, mostly flat roads). I only have 2500 miles on the truck to date so I can't speak of long term durability. But the power is tremendous. It has gobs more torque and Hp than the 5.4 and also has better power than its 1999 brother. I traded 1-2 mgg for the power by choosing the V10 over the V8. On top of that the problems from the 1999 model year have been corrected in the 2000 model. Also, be aware that the early 99 model SuperDuty had a problem with brake life and the rotors and calipers were enlarged midway during the production year to correct the problem. If it were me, I'd hold out for a 2000 model V10. But if you can't wait, I'd go with a late 1999 5.4 model.
  • I too am looking at a F-250 4x4 sc sb. As of right now I'm leaning torwards the v-8 with 4.10 rear. Has anyone considered the aftermarket accessories to boost performance and gas mileage? One add stated a gain in 50hp, 60 ft-lb, and 25% gas mileage with installation of chip, exhaust and air filter. any feedback?
  • psmith13psmith13 Posts: 32
    All personal preference, but here's my 2 cents.
    I have a '00 SD,F350,4X4,CC,LWB,Lariat,V10,Auto,4.30,ESOF and love it. I have just over 7,000 miles with no problems. I have a couple of friends with the V8 and they beat me on gas mileage by about 1, and that could be my driving habits. I get about 14 hwy and 11 to 12 mixed. If you are planning to pull anything the V10 sure makes it nice. It may use a little more gas pulling but that's only a few times a year and you'll be smiling all the way as you pass the other folks on the hills. The F350 has a little stiffer ride than the F250 but the Crew Cab helps out not to mention all the extra room inside.

I upgraded my truck with a 6" lift and 38" tires. The books say I should run 4.86 gears but the V10 does great as is.

www.picturetrail.com/psmith13

My opinion that's all :) Luv my SD
  • rrichfrrichf Posts: 212
    Here is my $0.02.

In my '99 F-250 Super Duty, Super Cab, Long Wheel base, auto trans, 3.73 LS and diesel the mileage is in the high 16's to low 17's in the Los Angeles freeway stop and stop traffic. I've got over 41K miles on it. I've taken the truck from Huntington Beach to Reno usually running 65 to 75 MPH on highway 395 and got 19 MPG. (Enough with the economy stuff.)

The diesel is easier to drive in traffic because it free wheels easier (less engine breaking) which makes the stop and stop more tollerable. The ride is better than my older '92 F-250 but it's not car like. I've added velvet shackles and edlebrock shocks and the ride is very good, for a truck. (But it's still a truck.)

I really don't notice the engine noise as I run the A/C almost all the time.

I am biased because I just like driving a diesel.

If you're spending an hour plus daily in your commute, get the thing that is going to give you the most comfort and convienence for that time. If you arrive home relaxed because you're not fighting the vehicle it really helps relationships.

Rich
  • fordtuffordtuf Posts: 101
    First to Tim...the V-10 about the same as Chevy 6.0. NOT!!!!!!

I own 99,F250,sc,V10,4x4,3.73 gears.
    My brother owns 99,Silverado,2500,4x4,6.0L.
    We both pulled a tractor/truck pull. I finished 4th (behind 2 F350's and 1 supercharched Dodge).
    I pulled about 230' and all 4 wheels were slinging dirt. My brother powered (whimpered) out at about 168'. By the way both trucks were stock.

About pulling 5000 lbs...
    My previous truck (92,F150,4x4,5.8,200HP,
    300lb ft,3.55 gears) had trouble pulling my 27', 7000lb camper. The new 5.4L has around 240 HP & more torque too. If you really only weigh in at 5000 lbs then you will be fine with F150.

If you think about getting anything above that I'd go with the F250,V10,3.73 gears. Compared to the F250,5.4L,4.10 gears the gas mileage will be not worth mentioning.

As for ride, no comparison!!!
    The F150 has the twin arms.
    The F250 has a solid axle.
    My wife and two children wish I had a truck that rode as good as the last one. But I love it & it gets the job done...PERIOD.
  • jojo55jojo55 Posts: 2
    I am going to purchase a ford truck for commuting to work and to pull a camper trailer (when I buy one) maybe 6-10 times a year. I have preferred the F150 with 5.4 engine. But I understand this may not be enough to pull a 24 to 30 foot trailer. I am now considering F250's. But again that problem of deciding whether to buy a diesel or gas engine looms. I would plan to keep the diesel for as many years as it will hold up!!! My 89 olds calais has 150k miles on it and is still going strong because of careful maintenance. I must have spent at least $4,000 over the years maintaining it.
    My questions:
    1. What could you expect to safely pull with the F150?
    2. If a F250 is the best route, and I plan to keep it for as many years as it will hold up (with proper maintenance of course), would this justify buying a diesel (ford powerstroke) vs. a gas engine? Would this be cost effective, because I understand problems with injectors etc.in later years can be very expensive?
    3. In general, what would justify buying a diesel over the gas engine?

Thanks very much for the input.

Jojo
    about 5,000 lbs is all I would regularly haul with a half ton. It will do up to 7500 probably, but you have no room for extra.

unless you drive 50-60K miles per year, you will NEVER cost justify the diesel. But it pulls better and gets slightly better mileage. longevity with gas is about the same, in my experience. maintenance will be more expensive with the diesel, even if nothing ever goes wrong. Fords have never been good on glowplug and small electronics.

you can't justify it with just money.

But if you really love the way it drives and pulls, and the macho sound, then thats the justification you have right there.
  • jojo55,

I own a 97 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4 3.55 ext cab sb. 4x4 with 17" tires, extra are not much but help, k&n filter and flowmaster muffler. I pull a 27' Wildwood with no problem at all. My friend has 94 F150 5.0 and pulls a 22 ft sunline (light) and I pull away from him on hills with no problems. Hope it helps
  • jojo55jojo55 Posts: 2
    Dear Cdean and lockshop,

Thanks very much for the responses. cdean, I was hoping to hear from you. You seem very knowledgeable in the area of trucks and what can be pulled with a particular truck. Lockshop, I also wanted to hear from someone who has the 5.4 engine.

Jojo
  • bigsnagbigsnag Posts: 394
    I didn't think the new Powerstroke's had glow plug's??? Anyone know for sure? Thanks.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    Great combo.

I have a 2001 manual 6.0L CC 4.10 on order.

We expect to see similiar performance and fuel economy.

I'd recommend either.

Drove a '89 diesel for 175k. No way would I buy another diesel as a short daily driver, particularly since I live at 7,000' elevation with cold winters.....
  • I just pulled my mustang from Chico, California
    too Jackson, Tennessee. There is no other diesel
    Chevy or Dodge that will out pull it. The guys
    on this page that say Ford diesel's suck don't
    know what they're talking about.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    How many miles got on that Powerstroke?
This discussion has been closed.