Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460 Suggested Improvements

rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
The CD player should be able to remember where you left off FOR EACH CD SEPARATELY.

For example, I am listening to an audio book on CD #1. Then a friend joins me and I play music on CD #2. After he has left I want to resume CD #1 where I left off. Currently, it starts all over at the beginning of the CD. If I was smart enough to notice where I left off I can manually resume there, but I would like the machine to remember that for me.

Naturally if I remove the CD and then re-insert it, it should start at the beginning, but since the machine can hold 6 CD's, it should allow switching among them without losing its place.

I would think this would be just a fairly simple firmware enhancement. I hereby authorize Lexus to implement this idea without paying me any royalties.

Comments

• pearlpearl Posts: 336
    MB has them, BMW has them, Audi has them, Cadillac has them. Seemingly, only the Japanese avoid them on their luxury cars - why? This is not the same as some sporty car where body rigidity may be an issue (although BMW offers them on their 3 and 5 series cars and no one complains about their handling). These are much better than a "pass through" for skis and plenty of people love them. Seems that this would be a worthwhile option.
  • Now that we have push button starting, and remote door locking, let's combine the two and allow remote engine starting. The benefit would be to let the air conditioner (or heater) precondition the car before getting into it.

Presumably there would need to be some safety precautions. Perhaps it should only work from a rather limited distance, and only with a line-of-sight connection. And maybe only if the car is locked and without occupants. Or something else.

But the basic idea would be that in very hot or very cold weather, the initial comfort level when entering the car would be much improved.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    MB has them, BMW has them, Audi has them, Cadillac has them. Seemingly, only the Japanese avoid them on their luxury cars - why?

Do their back seats recline?
  • Remote start is available by Lexus Japan...
    Remote start is available by Lexus Japan...

Huh? As an Add On? Or what?
  • a simple override in the menu to allow the passenger to enter/search a destination would be nice. The previous Lexus years 2006 and earlier had an unpublished override-but the 2007 does not.
    The previous Lexus years 2006 and earlier had an unpublished override-but the 2007 does not.

Great - the lawyers strike again!!
  • It is an accessory that is available to Lexus Japan owners...

http://lexus.jp/models/is/spec/accessory/safety.html

(bottom left item)

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?SubCategoryID=22&ModelID=151

There is an effort to import them into the US, but so far still waiting (on ClubLexus):

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202758
    It is an accessory that is available to Lexus Japan owners...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    The CD player should be able to remember where you left off FOR EACH CD SEPARATELY.

In my '03 LX, the CD player does remember the exact part of a song I was playing before I switched to something else. Everytime I switch back, it starts from the next lyric on the song I was playing earlier... Can your LS not do this already ?
  • oac, on my '04 LS430, with the Mark Levinson 6-CD changer, it remembers where it left off if I switch to a different source, i.e. AM, FM, or Tape, and then come back to Disc. But if I switch to a different CD and then come back to the one I had been playing before the switch, then it restarts at the beginning instead of continuing where we left off.

On your LX do you have a multiple CD player? If so, what brand is it?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,677
    rennybosch - My home CD playesr can't do that. I don't think there is technology that does what you want it to, let alone in a car. Once you've switched CD's within the CD player source itself it's over - you've terminated the song you were playing. Switching to a different mode such as AM, FM or tape is different as you haven't terminated the song playing on the CD player.

What you are seeking is a request for the electronics world, not Lexus, and I doubt it's worth the investment or if it's even possible. I didn't understand what you were requesting until your last post. I had thought the same as OAC - that you couldn't come back to the spot in your CD if you switched modes.

DVR's work the same way as far as I know. Switch off a recorded show to a live one and your exit spot is preserved. But switch to another recorded show and it's probably lost. I'm not 100%v sure on this as I don't remember having tested this. I do have a multiple disc DVD player at home and it also only keeps track of one DVD's exit position, not multiple DVD exit positions. Again - I don't even know if what you want is possible.

It's possible a DVR does what you want though or will do so in the future. I can see it happening there, and if that's the case then it's possible the new LS460L or future models of it and other cars will be able to do it off the hard disk.
  • "What you are seeking is a request for the electronics world, not Lexus . . ."

I guess you are right, ljflx. Thanks for your reply.

As far as home DVR's are concerned, mine (a Motorola unit furnished by Adelphia, which recently became Time Warner) does remember position for each program separately. I had recorded "Ocean's 11" (the original with the Sinatra rat pack), along with several other programs. After starting to watch the movie for a while, I switched over to watch a stored Seinfeld episode, and then a stored news program, and the next day I went back to the movie and it resumed exactly where it left off. Of course the unit wasn't reading different CD's, it was just reading from different locations on the hard disk, but it did have to remember "current position" for each recorded program.

That's what I would like to see in the Mark Levinson.
    "As far as home DVR's are concerned, mine (a Motorola unit furnished by Adelphia, which recently became Time Warner) does remember position for each program separately"

Mine does as well - just tested it. So if you can store your music in CD groupings than the hard disc should be able to do the same thing with music that the DVR does with video.

You may have to buy that 2007 LS afterall !

Yes, mine already does that, and also when the phone rings, the CD stops and resumes right where it stopped after the call is through.
  • "You may have to buy that 2007 LS afterall !"

I'm planning on it. Around next May, when I can get about 10% off MSRP.
    "I'm planning on it. Around next May, when I can get about 10% off MSRP."

You're gonna need a lot of prayers to get 10% off this car in the this model year. Be hopeful they are discounting at all.
  • NvBanker, you say your CD player remembers where you left off FOR EACH CD SEPARATELY. What model car and sound system do you have? Do you already have an LS460?
    LS430 - not for Each CD Separately - just for the one you are currently listening to.
    rennybosch - no one has the CD technology you are seeking. But as we said it should be there on a hard disc if you have your library set up right.
  • Wouldn't it be nice if the logic in the Nav system that compares a name that you enter with its stored database would ignore all characters other than letters or numbers? For example, I entered Honeybaked Hams, and it found two hits, but in different cities from where I was looking. On a hunch I tried Honey Baked Hams, and sure enough it found the one I was looking for. If it had ignored the space character, it would have considered that entry a match for my input, even though I didn't enter it right.

I don't see any downside to this, and it surely can't be very expensive to make the program change (except for the Quality Control costs). So, Mark Levinson, or whoever does the Nav program, please consider this in the next generation.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Navigation systems have a LOOOOOONG way to go to be more user-friendly. Trying to input addresses and even POI's on my '05 LS430 Nav is almost always an adventure.

Example, the other day on the way to a Miami Heat game I entered "American Airlines Arena" -- Nothing. I input "American" and then hit "List" -- BINGO!!

Luckily we can bypass the "no input while driving" feature so my wife can play with the name/address while on the way to the location.
  • gteach, if you can still get around the "no input while driving" thing, don't get the nav system update CD; the latest version has that feature disabled.
    So, Mark Levinson, or whoever does the Nav program, please consider this in the next generation.

Denso, I think.....
  • Some cars have sunshades that have two parts, one to shield the front and the other part to shield the (left) side. My 1996 Cadillac had that. There are times when that is very desirable, namely when driving on a curving road such that the sun is sometimes in front of you and sometimes on the left. I would like to see Lexus add that to the LS. It shouldn't increase the cost of the car by very much. I'd rather have that than the trunk mat.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    I can't believe that on a $61,000 car, I have to buy a $3,600 option package to get rear side airbags to protect my grandkids.
  • Well, $61,000 is the operative word. You are not buying an economy model here.
    So, my LS430 went in today for a steering wheel repair, and I received an new 07 ES350 for a loaner. Sad to report that I hate the car. Would buy a Camry over this hands down. The ride is downright harsh, not luxurious, it's noisy, power is so so, amenities are lacking, interior is very plasticky, reminds me of a GM Pontiac interior a lot. Even the leather is sub-standard IMO. I would buy a Camry or Avalon hands down over this car for driving comfort or ride. Why do luxury cars have to be so darn harsh now? This car would get an F from me for NVH. It's not a worthy Lexus IMO.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    That's the point. I would expect to pay extra on a $21,000 car, but not on a $61,000 car.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    If you accidentally leave a door ajar, or even the trunk lid not quite closed, the headlights will remain on until the battery is dead. Here is my suggested improvement: Install some logic in the electronic vehicle control system that turns the headlights off when the battery voltage falls below a safe level. Also turn off any other battery drains. If you (Lexus) can think of any situations in which this would be undesirable, then provide a mechanism for overriding this feature, but let the default be to protect the battery.

Does any car provide this feature?