Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460 Suggested Improvements

2»

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285

Does any car provide this feature?

Ford has had that for years. After 10 minutes, if there is an abnormal drain on the battery, inside light left on, for instance, the Body Control Module cuts power to all auxiliary functions (leaving power to clocks, alarm, etc.) until the car is unlocked - when all power is restored. Not an original idea, but a good one, and I too wonder why my Explorer has this - but my Lexus doesn't :confuse:
  • fun1fun1 Posts: 18
    I have had after market remote start on my LS430 '05, since i purchase it. I can start the car from several floors above. But sine having this feature, simply haven't used it much. The annoying part with remote start is you dont have to insert the key and sometimes in valet parking you forget to give the key to valet. Also the Lexus remote entry key has to be reprogrammed via third part/dealership and you have to use an addtional remote to open and shut the doors. So essentially the first press on unlock, unlocks the drivers side, the second press unlocks the rest of the car and the third press starts the engine. I so like my '05 that am in no rush to get the 460. The 460 did not seem to have as comfortable a ride as LS430, aslo visually seems smaller

Sam

Sam
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    Sam, that's fascinating. I had no idea there was an after market remote start available. My LS430 is an 04 but that is probably similar enough to the 05 so that the same feature should work for me. What is the name of the company that does this? Also, is there any problem with Lexus such as voiding a warranty or the like?

Thanks for the info.

Renny
  • If you have a 460 it does,read your manual.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Posts: 122
    Where in the Manual--I just tried to look it up (I Have an LS460)
  • Pg 407 I have a more detailed pdf but Edmunds wont upload it, it refers to shutting systems down as the battery gets close to 10 volts so the car will still start.

ELECTRIC POWER CONTROL SYSTEM
    DESCRIPTION
     The electric power control system is provided to supply power constantly to the vehicle equipped with
    many electronic systems.
     The electric power control ECU always monitors the battery condition. In accordance with the battery
    condition, the electric power control ECU implements various control measures on systems that operate
    while the vehicle is parked or systems that require a large amount of power in a short period of time.
     System Image 
    Charging Control
    Outputs the charging control request to the ECM in accordance with
    the battery status.
    Load Control
    Limits the operation of the ECU in order to suppress discharge of the
    battery and voltage drop.
    Control While Parked
    Cuts parasitic current of switches in order to prevent the battery from
    being degraded while the vehicle is parked for a long period of time.

2. Charging Control
    General
    This control lowers the generated voltage when the vehicle is idling or is being driven at a constant speed,
    and raises the generated voltage when the vehicle is decelerating. This reduces the load on the engine as
    a result of the electric generation of the generator, thus contributing to the fuel economy of the engine.
    During acceleration, this system regulates the generated voltage in order to place the amperage estimation
    value close to the target value.
     This system consists primarily of ECM, generator, electric power control ECU, battery current sensor,
    and battery temperature sensor.
     The electric power control ECU detects the state of charge and discharge of the battery based on battery
    voltage and the signals from the battery current sensor and battery temperature sensor. Then, it calculates
    the accumulated amperage and sends a charging control request signal to the ECM.
     Based on the charging control request signal from the electric power control ECU, the signals from
    various sensors and switches, and the charging state signal from the generator, ECM outputs signals to
    the generator (IC regulator). Thus, the ECM controls the generated voltage to be optimal for the driving
    condition.
     Under the following conditions, the electric power control ECU sends a request signal to the ECM so
    that the ECM stops charging control and switches the generator to normal power generation mode.
    - Various electrical loads are input.
    - Failures of various sensors and switches are detected.

This is no German or American junk.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If you can convert the pdf to a jpeg, you can upload it to your CarSpace page.
  • It would be nice to have an ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) display on the navigation screen. It's obviously very easy to calculate, since the nav computer already knows (and displays) time-to-arrival, and it knows current time (or it can get it from the rest of the car data base). The only challenge is to find room in the display for another 6-character entry (eg. 12:34p) plus a label for it, without robbing the display of valuable navigation data.

Of course having the time-to-arrival, we can ourselves add that to the current time, but on a car like this, should we have to do mental arithmetic? Also, observing the ETA over a longer period and noting whether it is staying approximately constant or advancing or retarding, would give us a little extra information.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,683
    I doubt you'll ever see this on a car. Imagine having this feature and you live on one side of a timeline change and work on another side or DST is recognized in one area and not in another. Too much complexity and too little consumer demand.
  • The NAV system will display ETA. Look at page 51 in the NAV Systems Owners Manual. The only problem with this is it is based on inputs your put into the system.
  • I'll tell you what needs improvement: Why should the flagship of the Lexus family, the LS, NOT have passenger seat memory as is available in the ES and GS ????

And why did they give the LS rear seat memory and not the passenger seat????
  • They heard us! In the 08 manual it is on page 71 - has the manual grown that much (about 40%) in one year? Wow!

sgjohn, it is based on inputs that you put into the system to tell it how fast you normally drive, on three kinds of roads, just like the Time-to-Go does. To me that's a good thing, not a problem.

And Len, they even took care of your concern in Post 41. It displays Estimated Time of Arrival along with the Time Zone indication. For instance, it told me "ETA 12:35 PM PT" (I'm in Pacific Time zone). I am guessing it will display "PD" when we switch to Daylight Saving Time. I'll let you know in April :-)

Renny
    The center portion of the steering wheel should remain stationary when the outer portion is turned, so that all the controls mounted on the center portion preserve their position, just like the turn signal lever and the headlight control lever stay in the same position. Of course this presents a nice engineering design challenge, but it's not impossible.

Aside from its advantage in keeping all the controls in their standard positions, it would also add a novelty/cuteness factor to the Lexus. If they patent the deign, they'd be able to license it to all the other manufacturers, who would undoubtedly want to have the same thing. (I hope Daimler-Benz doesn't read this site.)
    I finally remembered to check if the ETA display indicates Daylight Saving Time. It does not. It still says "ETA 2:15 PM PT", even though I have enabled "Summer Time".
  • In May 2008 I purchased my LS46. While sitting in the driveway, I exhausted the battery in 20 minutes, experimenting with the NAV system. Dealer installed a new battery. Car is parked sometimes for a couple of weeks and barely fires the engine. Now I read in the manual on page 661 "Turn off unnecessary electrical components when the vehicle is running at slow speed for an extended period of time, such as in heavy traffic." During my fifty years of driving many diverse models of cars, I was never cautioned to reduce the electric load on the alternator. What goes on here? The dealer technician re-checked the charging system this week and suggested to place the car on a trickle charger while parked. Sure looks like a design issue.
  • Hello Renny , Hello All : i am the owner of a white with tan genesis 3.8
    with both packages which include the cd/dvd/nav-traffic ...etc .
    yes i am happy . no i tried 3 LS 460's . one 2007 , and two 2008's .
    they were combo platters of camry's and avalon's with a sprinkling of fairy dust .
    mitchell rowe
    happy thanksgiving
    It is simply a matter of supply and demand. This car has so many electrical drains on the system, that without the alternator turning fairly quickly for a some time, it's possible to get into a discharge situation. For this reason, most car companies are proposing a switch to a 42 volt system soon that will accomodate all of the electrical components on luxury cars now. Won't be long and 12 volts just won't do it anymore. There is nothing else wrong with the design of this car. It's just getting too sophisticated for 12 volts to carry. IF this were to happen to a car, it would be this car that would break through the 12 volt barrier.
  • roddmod11roddmod11 Posts: 55
    Sorry but I have a LS 460 and spent much time with the Genesis and I have found no Fariy Dust just the best made Automobile I have ever owned. Genesis not so much...
  • This is my 3rd Lexus; 2008 LS460. I am disappointed with the quality of the plastic/ vinyl used on the seat belt posts, doors and dashboard. It is very soft and scratches easily. Drivers door where I rest my arm is already worn.

The paint doesn't seem to be holding up well either. Great driving, lots of miles to the gal. easy to work everything; just cheap paint and plastic which makes the car look older than it is.
    Having recently driven the Genesis, I would agree, it is an exceptional Hyundai, a very good car, but it's no Lexus, not by a long shot. I do not expect it to eat into Lexus sales at all. It can take a bite out of GM, Ford, even Toyota, but not Lexus, BMW or Mercedes. It's just not there. BUT, I will say, the power is amazing.
  • We have a 2008 460 LS which sounds like a diesel. The noise began approx. 3000 miles. On our third visit to Lexus for service, the service manager acknowledged the noise. He stated that this was a common problem with the pump and injectors. They stated to us that they do not know why some 2008s have the problem are not. They are certain that there is nothing wrong with the engine because it has totally been check "by the computer". I have written 1 letter and another time was told that a Lexus service rep would call me last month. To date I have not heard from the rep. nor has my letter been acknowledged.

At this time I am scared for my safety in this car. If I trade it for another car, I fear that I am just endangering the next buyer. BEWARE of a 2008 LS 460. When buying one, turn the radio off and listen to the motor. Drive the car and stop and listen. If you hear a noise under the hood run.
    I think you're over reacting. My 1972 Mustang made (what I think is the similar noise) in the engine since 1973, and is still running with that same noise today at over 100,000 miles. My 1996 Lexus ES300 makes the same noise, and has over 100,000 miles on it. My 2009 LS460 makes that same noise, and has 10,000 miles, I am not concerned in the least. If the engine fails before the warranty is up, Toyota will replace it, but if it doesn't fail by then, odds are very good it never will, and the noise is impossible to hear inside the car with the windows up, certainly with the radio on you can't hear it. It's a slight ticking noise that sort of comes and goes if we're talking about the same noise. I'm not worried, and certainly not going to run. I'm very happy with the LS, I have had no issues at all with the car. :blush:
  • Some of the 07-09 (and probably 10s) LS460/600s have a problem that is commonly referred to as a "Wind Noise" problem. An element of this problem is noise isolation - the cars have poor isolation from sounds that are occurring outside the cabin. Repairing this defect is inexpensive - it's a $2, ten minute DIY project - but you can not get it fixed at a Lexus dealer. If you run out of options, you should consider this before you give up.
    Yes, I've heard that, and avoided an 07 for that reason, but I have yet to detect any such noise in my 09, happily.
  • You can drive the car with the windows up and the radio on and hear the noise. The dealers will "get back to you" about a trade once they take the car off to check it. They know they can't resale with this kind of noise.
  • cupertinocupertino Posts: 12
    Hi jmcraney,

How do you repair the wind noise ?

Please shed some light on it. Thank you.
  • ps79ps79 Posts: 3
    I have a 2010 LS460 purchased in April. One week ago my USB port stopped working The dealership has told me that Lexus is aware of the problem but there is no fix for the problem. Has anyone encounter this problem and response. To say the least after purchasing a 65K automobile, I find this unacceptable since many competitor cars have this option. Also other Lexus models do not have this problem
2»