Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 460 Suggested Improvements

Comments

• Wouldn't it be nice if the logic in the Nav system that compares a name that you enter with its stored database would ignore all characters other than letters or numbers? For example, I entered Honeybaked Hams, and it found two hits, but in different cities from where I was looking. On a hunch I tried Honey Baked Hams, and sure enough it found the one I was looking for. If it had ignored the space character, it would have considered that entry a match for my input, even though I didn't enter it right.

I don't see any downside to this, and it surely can't be very expensive to make the program change (except for the Quality Control costs). So, Mark Levinson, or whoever does the Nav program, please consider this in the next generation.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Navigation systems have a LOOOOOONG way to go to be more user-friendly. Trying to input addresses and even POI's on my '05 LS430 Nav is almost always an adventure.

Example, the other day on the way to a Miami Heat game I entered "American Airlines Arena" -- Nothing. I input "American" and then hit "List" -- BINGO!!

Luckily we can bypass the "no input while driving" feature so my wife can play with the name/address while on the way to the location.
  • gteach, if you can still get around the "no input while driving" thing, don't get the nav system update CD; the latest version has that feature disabled.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    So, Mark Levinson, or whoever does the Nav program, please consider this in the next generation.

Denso, I think.....
  • Some cars have sunshades that have two parts, one to shield the front and the other part to shield the (left) side. My 1996 Cadillac had that. There are times when that is very desirable, namely when driving on a curving road such that the sun is sometimes in front of you and sometimes on the left. I would like to see Lexus add that to the LS. It shouldn't increase the cost of the car by very much. I'd rather have that than the trunk mat.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    I can't believe that on a $61,000 car, I have to buy a $3,600 option package to get rear side airbags to protect my grandkids.
  • Well, $61,000 is the operative word. You are not buying an economy model here.
    So, my LS430 went in today for a steering wheel repair, and I received an new 07 ES350 for a loaner. Sad to report that I hate the car. Would buy a Camry over this hands down. The ride is downright harsh, not luxurious, it's noisy, power is so so, amenities are lacking, interior is very plasticky, reminds me of a GM Pontiac interior a lot. Even the leather is sub-standard IMO. I would buy a Camry or Avalon hands down over this car for driving comfort or ride. Why do luxury cars have to be so darn harsh now? This car would get an F from me for NVH. It's not a worthy Lexus IMO.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    That's the point. I would expect to pay extra on a $21,000 car, but not on a $61,000 car.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    If you accidentally leave a door ajar, or even the trunk lid not quite closed, the headlights will remain on until the battery is dead. Here is my suggested improvement: Install some logic in the electronic vehicle control system that turns the headlights off when the battery voltage falls below a safe level. Also turn off any other battery drains. If you (Lexus) can think of any situations in which this would be undesirable, then provide a mechanism for overriding this feature, but let the default be to protect the battery.

Does any car provide this feature?

Does any car provide this feature?

Ford has had that for years. After 10 minutes, if there is an abnormal drain on the battery, inside light left on, for instance, the Body Control Module cuts power to all auxiliary functions (leaving power to clocks, alarm, etc.) until the car is unlocked - when all power is restored. Not an original idea, but a good one, and I too wonder why my Explorer has this - but my Lexus doesn't :confuse:
  • fun1fun1 Posts: 18
    I have had after market remote start on my LS430 '05, since i purchase it. I can start the car from several floors above. But sine having this feature, simply haven't used it much. The annoying part with remote start is you dont have to insert the key and sometimes in valet parking you forget to give the key to valet. Also the Lexus remote entry key has to be reprogrammed via third part/dealership and you have to use an addtional remote to open and shut the doors. So essentially the first press on unlock, unlocks the drivers side, the second press unlocks the rest of the car and the third press starts the engine. I so like my '05 that am in no rush to get the 460. The 460 did not seem to have as comfortable a ride as LS430, aslo visually seems smaller

Sam

Sam
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    Sam, that's fascinating. I had no idea there was an after market remote start available. My LS430 is an 04 but that is probably similar enough to the 05 so that the same feature should work for me. What is the name of the company that does this? Also, is there any problem with Lexus such as voiding a warranty or the like?

Thanks for the info.

Renny
  • If you have a 460 it does,read your manual.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Posts: 122
    Where in the Manual--I just tried to look it up (I Have an LS460)
  • Pg 407 I have a more detailed pdf but Edmunds wont upload it, it refers to shutting systems down as the battery gets close to 10 volts so the car will still start.

ELECTRIC POWER CONTROL SYSTEM
    DESCRIPTION
     The electric power control system is provided to supply power constantly to the vehicle equipped with
    many electronic systems.
     The electric power control ECU always monitors the battery condition. In accordance with the battery
    condition, the electric power control ECU implements various control measures on systems that operate
    while the vehicle is parked or systems that require a large amount of power in a short period of time.
     System Image 
    Charging Control
    Outputs the charging control request to the ECM in accordance with
    the battery status.
    Load Control
    Limits the operation of the ECU in order to suppress discharge of the
    battery and voltage drop.
    Control While Parked
    Cuts parasitic current of switches in order to prevent the battery from
    being degraded while the vehicle is parked for a long period of time.

2. Charging Control
    General
    This control lowers the generated voltage when the vehicle is idling or is being driven at a constant speed,
    and raises the generated voltage when the vehicle is decelerating. This reduces the load on the engine as
    a result of the electric generation of the generator, thus contributing to the fuel economy of the engine.
    During acceleration, this system regulates the generated voltage in order to place the amperage estimation
    value close to the target value.
     This system consists primarily of ECM, generator, electric power control ECU, battery current sensor,
    and battery temperature sensor.
     The electric power control ECU detects the state of charge and discharge of the battery based on battery
    voltage and the signals from the battery current sensor and battery temperature sensor. Then, it calculates
    the accumulated amperage and sends a charging control request signal to the ECM.
     Based on the charging control request signal from the electric power control ECU, the signals from
    various sensors and switches, and the charging state signal from the generator, ECM outputs signals to
    the generator (IC regulator). Thus, the ECM controls the generated voltage to be optimal for the driving
    condition.
     Under the following conditions, the electric power control ECU sends a request signal to the ECM so
    that the ECM stops charging control and switches the generator to normal power generation mode.
    - Various electrical loads are input.
    - Failures of various sensors and switches are detected.

This is no German or American junk.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If you can convert the pdf to a jpeg, you can upload it to your CarSpace page.
  • It would be nice to have an ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) display on the navigation screen. It's obviously very easy to calculate, since the nav computer already knows (and displays) time-to-arrival, and it knows current time (or it can get it from the rest of the car data base). The only challenge is to find room in the display for another 6-character entry (eg. 12:34p) plus a label for it, without robbing the display of valuable navigation data.

Of course having the time-to-arrival, we can ourselves add that to the current time, but on a car like this, should we have to do mental arithmetic? Also, observing the ETA over a longer period and noting whether it is staying approximately constant or advancing or retarding, would give us a little extra information.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    I doubt you'll ever see this on a car. Imagine having this feature and you live on one side of a timeline change and work on another side or DST is recognized in one area and not in another. Too much complexity and too little consumer demand.
  • The NAV system will display ETA. Look at page 51 in the NAV Systems Owners Manual. The only problem with this is it is based on inputs your put into the system.