Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Brake Problems

Comments

• kjs123kjs123 Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ranger2.5L. The truck sat for about a month with a few starts here and there. Now when i press the brake pedal down it stays down and will not come back up. When i hit the brake, the clutch also goes down some with it. The clutch pedal also stays down but is not as bad as the brake pedal. Any ideas what this may be? Cables?

Thanks in advance!
  • philliplcphilliplc Posts: 136
    1998 XLT here with brakes that have always had some bad grab <15 MPH when cold or wet, sometimes causing the vehicle to skid for a few feet. Ford mechanic found nothing wrong, and of course couldn't duplicate it with the brakes warmed up.

From skimming this thread it sounds like that might just be a Ranger design flaw. Assuming it's just to the rear drums catching on slight rust build up or whatever, is there no easy fix? Just something to live with?

Thanks!
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    'Ride' the brakes gently for the first 100 yards on wet mornings. This will stop the grab on the first stop. Worked on my 94 which lived in a nice garage and still grabbed in wet weather.
  • garyg8garyg8 Posts: 1
    This original post is about a year old. Did the ABS pump bleed work?
    I have the same problem on a '99 4x4, but have not done a "normal"system bleed yet.
    I really want to get this taken care of ASAP.

Thanks
  • took it to a dealer they repressureized the system haven't had any problems since.
  • skeglerskegler Posts: 1
    I have a '90 ranger w/2.3. When i press brake pedal ignition lights come on without key in ignition. Have replaced ign. cylinder and ign. switch. Can this brake light switch be bad enough to do this and completely drain my battery. All lights still work and no blown fuses. No burnt wires. Truck is in very good cond. 'cept this new glitch.

When i disconnect neg. cable and reconnect this does not happen again until i put key in turn it ,pull key out and then press brake pedal and then the ign. lights come on. Did this before i replaced ign. parts.
  • flake55flake55 Posts: 1
    Hey, I am not sure if you had this fixed yet, but I had the exact same problem with an 01 Ranger. Every mechanic wanted to change everything to do with my brakes until I told them to just change the speed sensors. On the 01, I had two sensors (left/right sides) that monitor the speed of the wheel. I changed both of them and the front brakes work fine.
  • I just read about your problem . I got the same 94 Ranger with the same problem . I kept opening brake lines till I got to the abs valve on driver side frame rail. No fluid would come out of it . Did you change this valve ? If so did it fix the problem? This valve costs close to $ 200.00 don't need to throw parts at the problem especially when they cost $200.bucks
  • I have a 2002 Ranger 2WD with a brake problem that has stumped my mechanic. When I back down my steep driveway in the morning (rpms above 1200) my brake pedal can reach the mechanical stop without locking up my brakes. I slow down, but if driving fast down the driveway I find that I can't completely stop. All four brakes have been inspected along with the master cylinder and fluids. Brakes are pressing 60/40 front/back. My mechanic (private shop with 25+ years experience) has never had such a problem, and didn't find any alerts from Ford that address the problem. Anyone encounter such a problem? Got a fix for it?
  • if you figure this out please let me know.... same problem just got a '02 4x4 damn thing kinda klicks at times slows down but continues to go foward. I actually had the truck 2 days and today ran into a retaining wall because of it... please help us..
    I know its not the pads rotors or fluids.. gotta be something electronic.
  • I have a 1999 4 L 4x4, same problem 2 yrs ago. It turned out to be the front left wheel sensor in the hub.

Let me know.
    Dave
  • bill87bill87 Posts: 4
    I have no back brakes. I cannot get brake fluid to the rear brakes. I have plenty of fluid. I do have fluid going to the thing under the drivers seat. I do not have fluid coming out of it. I assume that it is bad, but I have no idea what to call it. Anybody know what it is called or ever have this problem?
  • Just bought 2009 ford ranger and enjoy it very much. For the braking system on this truck is there any precautions that i should take when breaking this truck in?
    This truck, if like my 94, has rear wheel ABS. You probably have air in the ABS pump. You cannot get the air out with a 'regular' 'open a bleeder and pump the pedal' procedure.

You are going to have to take it to a shop that has the correct tech tool. This tool will activate the ABS pump to push the air out. You cannot do this manually.
    Read the owner's manual for break-in processes.

It will probably say to not use 'excessive braking' for the first 500 miles. In other words, do not do several high speed braking passes or descend a long, steep hill for the first few miles. But the ABS should keep you from 'locking up' the brakes from a high speed stop....
  • I have a 2000 Ranger. My left rear brakes lock up. I Have to jack up the truck no matter where I'm at remove the drum to turn the self adjuster in all the way so to free up the wheel. This just suddenly started, I'm not sure if it's the emergency brake or maybe the wheel cylinder isn't retracting. I quit using the emergency brake as of last night.
    It starts out alright at times then will start locking up to the point that my wheel doesn't turn at all. But I did manage to drive it home last night after a 10 mile drive just fine. But there was a smell of like overheated brakes or drums when I got out. I felt the drums but they where cool to the touch. I also looked for any fluid leaks but I don't see any and the master cylinder is full. If it helps the recent weather here was rain\sleet now snowy. But the roads now are dry not slushy.
    Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • I drove my 94 Ranger (V6 manual) to run some errands yesterday and had no problems. However, when I went to go drive it last night I got in and when I stepped on the brake pedal it went all the way to the floor. I didn't have time to look at it last night and borrowed a car from a friend. This morning I go look at it and it appears that I lost a lot of brake fluid from the right front brake. What type of repairs might I be looking at and any idea on the cost? Thanks.
  • It was cold here, below 0, and one day my e brake light turned on and stayed on. I verified that the brake was disengaged and it is. The light is still on. Any ideas? I heard that the sensor/switch may be bad. How do you disengage this or turn off the light?
  • xrfunxrfun Posts: 1
    hi i have an 08 ranger wildtrak. The brakes have failed 6 times in 26k miles. the dealers are not able to diagnose a fault or replicate the fault on a test drive. i have spoken to an engineer who works on abs systems,the diagnosis i was given was that it is probably the system is sensing the wheel speeds on initial breaking ,making the abs "think" that there is ice and probably only allowing about 10 percent of the breaking power. has anyone else experienced this or got a solution?
  • My Ranger has started having brake problems. When you touch the brake pedal it will start down on its own until the rear brakes lock. You can pull the pedal back up with your foot and everything is fine until the next time you touch the brake pedal. The pedal will return to the top but you have to give it some time. If you are sitting still, the pedal doesn't seem to have the same problem. What could be the cause for this problem?