Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Brake Problems

12345679»

Comments

• Got it fixed. They finally looked at the rear brakes and found that the drums were out of round. Machined them and now all is OK. Originally they had only cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes so did not find the out of round condition. And they did not charge for machining the drums and apologized for the delay.
  • I need help badly, i cant lose anymore work. Here is the deal, the previous owner didnt take very good care of this truck, the rear brakes kinda fell apart and dug their way into the drum, took me forever to get the drum off. In the process all the hardware kinda came out and i didnt see excactly how it was in there. I need to find a picture or detailed intruction on how to put the brake drum back together again

This is for a 1990 Ford Ranger 4x4, the drivers rear side. I really need some help please so i can get to work tomarrow. Thanks
  • About 3/4 of the time when I go to stop, the pedal will depress another inch or so and the Ranger will coast another 1/2 truck length. Doesn't do it every time, but one has to be aware that it will probably coast another 1/2 length. Could it be one of the wheel sensors kicking in for anti-braking? Any suggestions?
  • i am haven the same prob have replaced the front pads rear breaks master cyld and booster ! still samething
  • I have a 2001 Ranger With the Big six and 15In Wheels. Went to replace pads and found rotors needed replacement also. I found a small amount of fluid on the line so
    I traced it up to the engine compartment.
    When I opened the hood I found an empty Master cylinder and break fluid everywhere. Was not that way a week ago. I did find that the cap had been put on crooked and was not sealed; is it possible all that fluid came from the top cap? or should I keep looking for another source?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I guessing you, or someone, did replace the brake pads. Doing this, you had to push the brake pistons back into the calipers. This forced brake fluid back through the system. It had to go somewhere. So it overflowed the master cylinder. You probably do not have a leak, just this overflow.

You should have pulled some or most of the brake fluid out of the master cylinder before you started. And when finished, check to see if you needed to add some fluid back.