Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Braking Questions

how the hell do stop the brake dust from going all over the truck the deal says to get brake sheild and keep an eye on it a nd the they will buffit out is stinks it is a white truck any salutions

Comments

• how the hell do stop the brake dust from going all over the truck the deal says to get brake sheild and keep an eye on it a nd the they will buffit out is stinks it is a white truck any salutions
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    Brake shield is pretty effective at keeping brake dust from getting on your wheels. Having said that, I have never known of a production vehicle shedding enough brake dust to get on the body...race cars yes, but not production vehicles of any sort that I know of.

Are you sure it is brake dust getting on the body instead of just dirt or road tar? White will show anything that gets on it.....

Brake dust should just wash off the paint..don't know why the dealer said they would buff it unless it is indeed something else.
  • sonax will have a brake dust repellant offered in 2007 and unlike others, it actually works. but i've never heard of brake dust reaching the body of the car. but the sonax offering is really good. it is gonna be marketed in their premium u.s. line as nts7 by sonax. great stuff!
  • check it out as i told you that the brake dust come off the wheels and adhears too the paint and oxidizes and turns to rust. dealer had to buff it out and gave me dust shields and problem fixed
  • Is your truck brand new?

If so, it could be Railroad Train Rail Dust. The train's steel wheels grind the rails ever so slightly and the resultant metallic dust gets deposited on the truck during shipping. It was on my F350 before I took delivery. Little rust spots all over the sides when you looked at it closely. :mad: :mad: I refused the truck until dealer rubbed out the finish with a Clay Bar to remove the brake dust, and then polished and waxed it. Once the initial rail dust was removed I haven't seen any other rusting flecks in my finish..
  • I have a 2004 F-150 (63,00 mi) I put new rotors and pads on the front this weekend. Now When I use the brakes for the first 2-3 times the are really resistant. They shake pretty bad and after they stop my e brake light and my ABS light turn on.
    We have tried bleeding the brakes several time. Disconnected the battery to see if it was a computer problem, and looked for any possible leaks in the brake line. Nothing worked. Help Please :cry:
  • check the rotors they may be bad / tire balance/ or did you rotate your tires?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Check your brake fluid level.

Mark.
  • cpagancpagan Posts: 3
    The ABS light is on all the time, also the ABS unit is running all the time and the only way you turn the unit off is desconnecting the battery. Can you give me suggestions on how to resolve this problem. The truck has new brakes and speed sensor. Thank you for your advice. cpagan76@netzero.net
  • cpagancpagan Posts: 3
    The ABS light is on all the time, also the ABS unit is running all the time and the only way you turn the unit off is disconnecting the battery. Can you give me suggestions on how to resolve this problem. The truck has new brakes and speed sensor. Thank you for your advice.
  • slorydn1slorydn1 Posts: 2
    Defintely check that if the lights are on. Mine shudder a little, but I have just over 50K miles on the orginal rotors (turned once). I cant see a new assembly shaking that bad unless the new rotors were mis-aligned when installed (or maybe badly warped, but how?!) The only other thing I can think of would be to check the calipers and make sure that both sides are meeting the rotor like they should be, but I can't really see how that would cause the shaking part
  • rsamuelsonrsamuelson Posts: 1
    When I stepped on the brakes the truck started jumping and made a loud grinding sound for just a few seconds but did slow down, a few minutes later when I stopped it was fine. After being parked and not running for maybe 15 minutes I took off again and drove four blocks, this time it slowed fine but made a screaming sound then three blocks later when I stopped it was fine. Any suggestions?
  • hwydriverhwydriver Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with my 2000 F250, even after a complete brake job. My mechanic checked everything out and said he thought it was a short somewhere but he didnt think it would be worth the money to track it down since its pushing 300K. I have also sufferred thru the airbag light and now its the battery light.
  • braskibraski Posts: 1
    I have a 1976 ford F150 4x4 with vacuum assist:Front brakes will not relieve pressure after braking. I have replaced calipers, master cylinder, and front lines. I'm stumped and would appreciate any help.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Did you change out the brake hoses too? I had a similar problem on a '73 Econoline van - turned out that the inside of the brake hose was disintegrating and a chunk of rubber acted as a one-way valve on brake fluid. You could apply the brakes, but then it took like 3-4 minutes before the caliper would release. New hoses, no problem. Just my $0.02.
  • rbrantrbrant Posts: 1
    Hi.
    My 2005 F 150 with 22,000 miles had a constant squeel in the brakes. The dealer turned the rotors and the pads are about 80% of the new ones. The squeeling in the brakes has returned but not as bad as before. Any suggestions?

Reb
  • The ABS light on my '99 stays on all the time now. Before, it was just intermittent. My mechanic says that there is a bad sensor in the differential and there is absolutely no safety issue. Another guy told me that if the light is on, the ABS system is not working (obviously a safety issue).

While I've only got about 60K miles on it, I've just had the rotors replaced, after haveing them turned twice.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks. :mad:
  • I have an 06 F150 with ~20K miles with no problems of any kind. On recent trip was on road for ~6 hrs. When taking exit ramp I MAY (can't remember for sure) have TAPPED (not more) brake pedal. Suddenly (1) warning buzzer went off and at the same time (2) ABS light illuminated and (3) TCS light illuminated. I was on exit ramp so checked for brakes - - normal braking. ABS and TCS lights remained illuminated (steady). Drove home shut down and unpacked. Restarted truck to park it - - ABS light on steady and TCS light OFF. Checked several days later ABS light on steady, TCS light OFF. Any suggestions? Speed sensor?
  • The ABS light on my '99 stays on all the time now. Before, it was just intermittent. My mechanic says that there is a bad sensor in the differential and there is absolutely no safety issue. Another guy told me that if the light is on, the ABS system is not working (obviously a safety issue).
    The bad sensor call is likely correct. If so, you don't have ABS. You DO have normal braking (probably why the mechanic says "no safety issue") You have to decide how badly you want ABS.

While I've only got about 60K miles on it, I've just had the rotors replaced, after haveing them turned twice.
    Not common for any truck I've heard of. Were the pads gone? That said, I don't know (1) driving habits (2) operating conditions or (3) what kind of loads you're carrying. Could be a combination of all. Non-negative Fact: Some people wear out brakes (and vehicles) faster than others.