Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Braking Questions

cosmodg58cosmodg58 Member Posts: 4
how the hell do stop the brake dust from going all over the truck the deal says to get brake sheild and keep an eye on it a nd the they will buffit out is stinks it is a white truck any salutions

Comments

• cosmodg58cosmodg58 Member Posts: 4
    how the hell do stop the brake dust from going all over the truck the deal says to get brake sheild and keep an eye on it a nd the they will buffit out is stinks it is a white truck any salutions
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Brake shield is pretty effective at keeping brake dust from getting on your wheels. Having said that, I have never known of a production vehicle shedding enough brake dust to get on the body...race cars yes, but not production vehicles of any sort that I know of.

Are you sure it is brake dust getting on the body instead of just dirt or road tar? White will show anything that gets on it.....

Brake dust should just wash off the paint..don't know why the dealer said they would buff it unless it is indeed something else.
  • newtownnewtown Member Posts: 1
    sonax will have a brake dust repellant offered in 2007 and unlike others, it actually works. but i've never heard of brake dust reaching the body of the car. but the sonax offering is really good. it is gonna be marketed in their premium u.s. line as nts7 by sonax. great stuff!
    check it out as i told you that the brake dust come off the wheels and adhears too the paint and oxidizes and turns to rust. dealer had to buff it out and gave me dust shields and problem fixed
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Is your truck brand new?

If so, it could be Railroad Train Rail Dust. The train's steel wheels grind the rails ever so slightly and the resultant metallic dust gets deposited on the truck during shipping. It was on my F350 before I took delivery. Little rust spots all over the sides when you looked at it closely. :mad: :mad: I refused the truck until dealer rubbed out the finish with a Clay Bar to remove the brake dust, and then polished and waxed it. Once the initial rail dust was removed I haven't seen any other rusting flecks in my finish..
  • bre3670bre3670 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F-150 (63,00 mi) I put new rotors and pads on the front this weekend. Now When I use the brakes for the first 2-3 times the are really resistant. They shake pretty bad and after they stop my e brake light and my ABS light turn on.
    We have tried bleeding the brakes several time. Disconnected the battery to see if it was a computer problem, and looked for any possible leaks in the brake line. Nothing worked. Help Please :cry:
    check the rotors they may be bad / tire balance/ or did you rotate your tires?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Check your brake fluid level.

Mark.
  • cpagancpagan Member Posts: 3
    The ABS light is on all the time, also the ABS unit is running all the time and the only way you turn the unit off is desconnecting the battery. Can you give me suggestions on how to resolve this problem. The truck has new brakes and speed sensor. Thank you for your advice. [email protected]
    The ABS light is on all the time, also the ABS unit is running all the time and the only way you turn the unit off is disconnecting the battery. Can you give me suggestions on how to resolve this problem. The truck has new brakes and speed sensor. Thank you for your advice.
  • slorydn1slorydn1 Member Posts: 2
    Defintely check that if the lights are on. Mine shudder a little, but I have just over 50K miles on the orginal rotors (turned once). I cant see a new assembly shaking that bad unless the new rotors were mis-aligned when installed (or maybe badly warped, but how?!) The only other thing I can think of would be to check the calipers and make sure that both sides are meeting the rotor like they should be, but I can't really see how that would cause the shaking part
  • rsamuelsonrsamuelson Member Posts: 1
    When I stepped on the brakes the truck started jumping and made a loud grinding sound for just a few seconds but did slow down, a few minutes later when I stopped it was fine. After being parked and not running for maybe 15 minutes I took off again and drove four blocks, this time it slowed fine but made a screaming sound then three blocks later when I stopped it was fine. Any suggestions?
  • hwydriverhwydriver Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with my 2000 F250, even after a complete brake job. My mechanic checked everything out and said he thought it was a short somewhere but he didnt think it would be worth the money to track it down since its pushing 300K. I have also sufferred thru the airbag light and now its the battery light.
  • braskibraski Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1976 ford F150 4x4 with vacuum assist:Front brakes will not relieve pressure after braking. I have replaced calipers, master cylinder, and front lines. I'm stumped and would appreciate any help.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Did you change out the brake hoses too? I had a similar problem on a '73 Econoline van - turned out that the inside of the brake hose was disintegrating and a chunk of rubber acted as a one-way valve on brake fluid. You could apply the brakes, but then it took like 3-4 minutes before the caliper would release. New hoses, no problem. Just my $0.02.
  • rbrantrbrant Member Posts: 1
    Hi.
    My 2005 F 150 with 22,000 miles had a constant squeel in the brakes. The dealer turned the rotors and the pads are about 80% of the new ones. The squeeling in the brakes has returned but not as bad as before. Any suggestions?

Reb
  • bassman45bassman45 Member Posts: 3
    The ABS light on my '99 stays on all the time now. Before, it was just intermittent. My mechanic says that there is a bad sensor in the differential and there is absolutely no safety issue. Another guy told me that if the light is on, the ABS system is not working (obviously a safety issue).

While I've only got about 60K miles on it, I've just had the rotors replaced, after haveing them turned twice.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks. :mad:
  • chucklemchucklem Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 F150 with ~20K miles with no problems of any kind. On recent trip was on road for ~6 hrs. When taking exit ramp I MAY (can't remember for sure) have TAPPED (not more) brake pedal. Suddenly (1) warning buzzer went off and at the same time (2) ABS light illuminated and (3) TCS light illuminated. I was on exit ramp so checked for brakes - - normal braking. ABS and TCS lights remained illuminated (steady). Drove home shut down and unpacked. Restarted truck to park it - - ABS light on steady and TCS light OFF. Checked several days later ABS light on steady, TCS light OFF. Any suggestions? Speed sensor?
  • chucklemchucklem Member Posts: 2
    The ABS light on my '99 stays on all the time now. Before, it was just intermittent. My mechanic says that there is a bad sensor in the differential and there is absolutely no safety issue. Another guy told me that if the light is on, the ABS system is not working (obviously a safety issue).
    The bad sensor call is likely correct. If so, you don't have ABS. You DO have normal braking (probably why the mechanic says "no safety issue") You have to decide how badly you want ABS.

While I've only got about 60K miles on it, I've just had the rotors replaced, after haveing them turned twice.
    Not common for any truck I've heard of. Were the pads gone? That said, I don't know (1) driving habits (2) operating conditions or (3) what kind of loads you're carrying. Could be a combination of all. Non-negative Fact: Some people wear out brakes (and vehicles) faster than others.
  • cayadopicayadopi Member Posts: 12
    '92, F350, dually, 141,000. Has belt driven type assist.

I know that a slight hiss when pressing brake is normal and has to do with something called a brake assist.

Prior to my last brake job at the Ford dealer, the hiss was short in duration, and when depressing the brake pedal, the normal travel distance before braking was approximately 2".

After last brake job at the dealer (master cyclinder, calipers, drums/discs resurface, and adjust rea brake regulators), the hiss sound was much longer in duration, and the pedal travel increased to 4 1/2" (i.e. nearly to the floor starting from 6"). Ford has maintained nothing wrong. Wrong - it has been downright scary to have to press the brake pedal that far. (They system has been bled numerous times with no change - even immediately after bleeding.)

I have since replace the MC with a MC with a larger (bore?). The brake pedal travel is now 3" (getting closer to the way it was before).

Does anyone know 1) what would cause a longer hissing sound, and 2) is this related to a longer brake pedal travel distance?

Thanks guys.
    Female needs help !!
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    If the sensor in the differential is bad, just replace it. It's not expensive nor is it difficult to replace. Its held in with one 10mm bolt located on top of the differential above the drive shaft area. When your ABS light is on, it just means that your onboard computer has dedected a problem and disabled the ABS only. You still have reagular power brakes. Technically, I guess it is a safety issue, but not much of one.
    Does anyone know 1) what would cause a longer hissing sound, and 2) is this related to a longer brake pedal travel distance? Yes & Yes

The longer hissing sound is caused by the hydralic assist to have to either work harder or longer to push on the Master cylinder to pressurise the brake system.

Lets assume for the moment that there is no new problem with the assist part of the system. You didn't have this problem until the brakes were done. Right? This symptom is telling me that there is a lack of restriction in the hydrallic brake lines somewhere, such as ; incorrect brake calipers or incorrect rear wheel cylinders(for regular power brakes lets say) or in some cases there is an ajustment rod with a backwards threaded bolt coming out of the assist,(not all models). This adjustment is critical for proper braking. Very unlikly this rod if your truck has it is causing this symptom. If I had to take a guess without inspecting the brakes on this vehicle, my money is on incorrect calipers or wheel cylinders. Here is my explanation that would have to be researched and inspected on your truck. Sometimes calipers and wheel cylinders for a regular power brake system and a hydralic assist look the same, but the chambers or cavities inside them are different sizes. This means they require different amounts of hydralic pressure from the master cylinder. You need a very experienced technician to check this for you. And yes, the Dealer does make mistakes. I fix one of their screw ups at least once a month. Good luck!
  • troscoebtroscoeb Member Posts: 2
    can anyone tell me the order you need to bleed the brakes after changing pads.i know it has to be done in a specific order but i dont know it. i have a 2004 f-150. help would be greatly appreciated
  • mikekapmikekap Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an Actron CP9180 reader. On the Diagnostic Monitor Tests, I get
    Test $26 Low
    Test $2a Low
    Test $2b Low
    Test $56 High
    This on a Ford E-150, 4.2
    I tried to find what monitor tests check, but I cannot decifer these codes.
    Can someone point me in the right dirrection.
    I have a rough running engine that is driving me nuts. All of the OBD codes say ok.
  • ploquitploquit Member Posts: 1
    My Dad is getting screwed by ford...

2005 Ford F150 (nov purchase date)
    one owner only
    it has 25000 kms

Took it to the ford dealership to have the brakes done. (sticking- ended up being rust)

HOWEVER... because of the low mileage, they said that we misused the vehicle by letting it "sit". So the dealership said the warranty was void and we paid the repair on a credit card, they would not release the vehicle to us otherwise. This truck is driven at least twice a week (except for a one month period when Dad was in hospital). This truck has never been off road or on a gravel road for that matter. the brakes should not have rust.

I've read and re-read the warranty manual. nowhere is it mentioned that lack of use equals missuse.... there are no aftermarket parts, and we follow the maintenance schedule.

I suspect the dealership didn't even call ford warranty.

How do i get them to honor the warranty... (I wanted to call ford warranty, but they apparently only "talk shop" with dealers, not owners...)
  • twocartwocar Member Posts: 95
    How difficult is it to replace the driver-side front abs sensor on an '04 f-150, 4x4? Great detail would be appreciated.
  • Derrick_76Derrick_76 Member Posts: 4
    I believe I have the same problem with my 2003. If you find out how to change and how difficult it is please let me know. Thanks
  • chuckgibsonchuckgibson Member Posts: 5
    One evening a box on the drivers side under the hood started buzzing. It would not stop until I unplugged it. After that the ABS light has stayed on. I have tried plugging it back in thinking that it might "reset " or something but it immediatly starts buzzing again. I have just drove it like that for months but it would be nice to have my baby running right. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Chuck
  • ragarmragarm Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2000 F-150 (103,000 miles) out of the shop.

Last night the ABS light went on and a humming started from under the hood. Even with the engine off, the humming continued.

I found out today my ABS sensor was shorted. The mechanic took out a fuse so my battery wouldn't die (I disconnected the battery last night to avoid this). The ABS is not functional, but the brakes still work. There is little safety issue other than some tire slippage in wet conditions.

The part is coming in tomorrow. Rather pricey. $620 w/labor to fix the ABS.
  • jaw101jaw101 Member Posts: 1
    ABS Light is on cannot get any codes from computer. The rear brakes lock up and shutters, could it be the control module for the brakes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • geojandgeojand Member Posts: 1
    Had same trouble but did not drive or with the noise because I pulled the fuse in the fuse box under hood. Not the one under dash. see your manual for which one. Light will stay on noise will stop and of course you won't have ABS system. Don't like it anyway.
  • bassman45bassman45 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where the ABS sensor is? I've been told that it's over the rear differential, and alternatively it's behind the right front disc rotor. I prefer to believe that it's behind the wheel disc rotor. Does anyone know for sure? I haven't taken the tire off to look closely, as I probably wouldn't recognize the sensor even I saw it. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Its on the top of the differential on the yoke or drive shaft side. Here is a hint. Its the only thing that has a wire coming from it. Its held in by one 10mm bolt. If you have ABS front and rear then you will also have sensors on each front wheel also on the back side of the stearing knuckle below the brake calipers.
  • thekrautthekraut Member Posts: 7
    1995 Ford F250 diesel has brake problem, sometimes brakes work OK, sometimes the pedal is hard as a rock and goes all the way to the floor before brakes work, sometimes a slight delay and then brakes work. Very scary not knowing what will happen when I touch brake pedal. 2 mechs recommend replacing brake booster, vacuum pump, and master cylinder, (not in that order). Very expensive to start changing these.
  • lniehenkelniehenke Member Posts: 1
    The left disc brake is pulsating when I try to stop. I removed the fuse that controls this ABS braking system. A indicator light on the dash comes on indicating that the system is not powered up.
    The pulsating problem is resolved but I don't have a ABS system. Is this a sensor problem on that left front brake?
    How hard is it to replace the brake sensor?
  • petecalpetecal Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2010
    My ABS light is on. I think it is a loose connection at the ABS module. (Long story I won't bore you with).

It seems the ABS module is attached below the Hydraulic Control Unit and very hard to get to. I am sure I have to move the HCU but it has a few hydraulic tubes connected to it and I can't remove those (cost for dealer to bleed the system) nor do I want to break one.

Does anybody know if things can be loosened up enough to get at the ABS module without damaging the HCU connections?

Thanks In Advance,
    Pete
  • harleyphilharleyphil Member Posts: 1
    I am working on a freind truck that has the same peoblem. It does the same thing. There is something inside the frame rails under the mastercylinder that the brake lines go to. It says remanufactured and there is a harness going to it It has no power going to it with brakes on or off. It also looks like it has a small motor conected to it like a small pump solenoid. I'm trying to find out what it is and if it has anything to do with the problem. Maybe it can help you. I'm open for any info on this problem.
    That is the ABS unit. There is a harness, yes, but there is also a power connector.

My problems got worse. A full description and my soluthon is at:

http://www.fordforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/brake-pedal-goes-floor-24307/

If the link does not survive the posting process, go to fordforum.com and search the forums for postings by petec (that's me).
    My problems got worse. A full description and my soluthon is at:

http://www.fordforum.com/forum/general-tech-11/brake-pedal-goes-floor-24307/

If the link does not survive the posting process, go to fordforum.com and search the forums for postings by petec (that's me).

Pete
  • trigertriger Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    f 150 abs activates at 5 mph when slowing down what makes this happen
  • ztmeyerztmeyer Member Posts: 1
    I discovered the problem when I noticed excessive wear on my front passenger tire. I couldn't see anything wrong with the ball and u joints so replaced the tire and when I rotated them noticed the left brake was not engaging. I just recently replaced the pads and the right side is working great. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this