Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Problems 2007+

123457»

Comments

• Hi all,
    I am the one whom is having the issue with static electricity in my 2010 Elantra. I have been reading all of your post and wanted to say Thank you for all the help everyone is trying to provide. Seems like a really great forum and very helpful at that.
    Well to start off, I live in Dallas/Ft Worth area in Texas. I know that sliding across the seats also to a certain extent would normally build up static and I get in and out of my car all day long as I work in Hospice going from house to house. I do realize this does not help any at all. I have tried many many things to help eliminate the static.
    It was suggested in the beginning that my shoes may be causing the problem so I switched to another pair and that did not seem to help much at all. I have tried spraying the static spray on my seats as well and it tamed but not gone by no means. I have tried the dryer sheets under the seats and carrying a whole box in my car with little success as well. I tried flipping my floor mats to the rubber side and that did nothing at all. I have tried the moisturizer on my skin and nothing. I have tried a deep moisturizer in my hair and nothing. I have went out and bought a brand new washer and dryer, thinking maybe that was the issue. I use 3 different things for static for my clothes now but it doesn't help. I have used seat covers as well. The problem is not only with my seat but the whole car on the inside. Front seats and back seats. My daughters hair normally sticks up the whole time she is in my car. My mother, which has long beautiful very thick healthy hair, not saying mine is unhealthy but it is very fine. My daughters hair is the same as my mothers and not fine. The problem isn't only with being shocked here and there. You can feel static all around your body like your inside some invisible force. Sounds kinda weird but it's the only way I know how to explain it. If it were me or my shoes then is shouldn't affect anyone else the way it does. I have never had such an issue with any other vehicle. I can't be the only one that is having this issue. I love the car other than this issue and haven't had any other issues except a bulb burning out. Also the it seems to shock others when I am now where around the car. It has shocked my husband and two different people trying to find and fix this issue at the dealership. I am so fed up with this issue I even had them appraise the car so I could trade the car in on another one and of course the dealership offered me only 10.5 on a car that I owe 14.7 on. We are betting it's more of a combination of the cheap materials used for the seats and some electrical device in the car where they took the cheap way out on the properly shielding the wire.
    I can try the homemade remedy of the static spray and see if that helps.....Wish me luck
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    This looks like more than a normal case of static buildup. I've driven several Elantras of this generation and had nothing like this happen, i.e. "static all around your body".

Here is something to try, to see if the problem is something special to your car or a general issue with 2010 Elantras: either find a 2010 Elantra on a dealer lot (should be possible to find one, new or used) or a 2010 Elantra at a rental car agency e.g. Hertz. And drive it for awhile... on day when you notice the static problem on your car (which seems to be EVERY day). If you notice the same static behavior on the other car, you can rule out some specific problem on your car. And you can decide if you want to live with your car as it is, or not. But if the other car is different, then the dealer can investigate further as to why your car behaves that way when other 2010 Elantras do not.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,239
    Agreed this is sounding rather abnormal. Makes me wonder if there's an internal ground (not a ground strap that literally goes to the ground but a grounding connection that goes to the frame) that's not connected properly.

I'll second Backy's suggestion to drive another '10 Elantra to see if the problem follows you. It's good, basic troubleshooting to narrow down the source of a problem. If you have the static problem in a different Elantra then the problem is either all Elantras or something on your person. If it doesn't happen in a different Elantra then the problem is most definitely something in your car.
  • gvsubeefgvsubeef Posts: 1
    Static build up is typically from the tires. If they have grounded your seats, but have not installed a proper grounding strap from the frame to the ground, it will actually INCREASE the static in the car. I would try one of two things: Take your car to a local shop and ask them to install a grounding strap or replace all four tires with something different than what you currently have on the car. Given the costs, I would try a couple grounding straps first.

Best of luck!
  • This happened to me yesterday. I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. As I was merging onto the highway I stepped on the gas peddle and then my car just took off on its own I felt the engine speeding up. I tried to step on the brake but it wouldn't go down it was like the brake was stuck and I had absolutely no control over stopping my car and it seemed to speed up on its own. Thankfully there was no traffic on the highway and eventually after about two minutes this finally stopped and I resumed control over my car. Very scary.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited January 2013
    Brakes can ALWAYS over come engine power if applied before they get hot (brake fade), or at least with cars such as yours which is not a high performance car with gobs of extra hp and torque. But with what happened to you, apply HARD in this situation within a second or two of realizing you have a hard pedal. Reasons for a hard pedal are few, especially when you factor in whatever the reason for the runaway accelerator pedal. But the probable reason is that brakes use vacuum assist on your car. When the engine is revved quite high, vacuum availibility is low. But in your case, it would seem that you also have a leak in your power brake booster, which allows it to lose a normal reserve of vacuum. Usually you would have still had initial strong vacuum assist from before, providing you didn't pump it away. Just apply the brakes and hold them until you safely pull the car down to a stop, and then turn the key to off..as in off to turn engine off, but not off as in all the way to lock if you are still moving, as that would also lock your steering.

So in your case, you have two things or more going on here. The high rev throttle and a vacuum brake assist leak. Does your car have cruise control?

I won't get into stability control and all that that can entail in trouble shooting your particular scene here, but i don't think your car has SC..so is moot at this time anyway.

But, remember, you still had brakes, but you would have had to push WAY WAY WAY harder than you are accustomed to when you have vacuum assist provided by normal engine RPM's even tho it seems you have a leak.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    why don't you just spray your cloth seats with static guard?
  • I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra.
    I was fixing my sun visor and shorted the wires which blew my acces fuse. I changed that fuse, but since then My dash lights, electric windows, door locks, trunk release, tail lights are all not working. I have checked all the fuses but they are fine.
123457»