Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Audio Questions

Comments

• doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    I'll look into the CarSpace Guides. I was thinking that it would be handy to have an area like that on this site, and it turns out there already is one!

I've done several DIYs for other forums. The ones I've written I can transfer over. There are other's I've referenced that are written by others; would it be okay to link to those sites (since I don't feel comfy copying someone else's work)?
    The locations for the manuals for Kenwood stereos sold as OE Hyundai stereos changed. Kenwood seems to reeorganize their site a lot. Anyway, here are the new links:

Here are the owner manuals online:

KDC-MPV622 for 2004

EZ-500H3 for 2006
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I've done several DIYs for other forums. The ones I've written I can transfer over.

That would be great!

There are other's I've referenced that are written by others; would it be okay to link to those sites

The best way to do that would be to write a guide with some "guide stuff" in it and include other links as you go. You wouldn't be able to write a guide that was nothing but link(s) elsewhere.

Let us know when you get some posted! :)
  • Yes, just purchased last Saturday - was a dealer trade from Minnesota.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That is SUPER!! :D
    We've been doing that kind of stuff over at ElantraClub for a while. I just took several and put them into one.
  • Does anyone know if the factory radio has AUX inputs in the back ? I bought a Harman Kardon - Drive + Play Vehicle Interface Kit for Apple® iPod, and I tried doing the wireless installation, but I can't seem to find a good station to get it working. I am thinking I might have to buy a new head unit with AUX inputs, unless the factory radio has them ... Any ideas ?
  • dvdphiledvdphile Posts: 11
    Hi: Just some observations on new Elantra SE. Mfg. date 1/17/07. Came with XM. Cannot answer "aux" inputs. Radio antenna is in rear glass. If you tint rear window with metallic tint you'll lose 75% of you AM reception. Removing approx. 5" of top tint will restore reception. A black outside vinyl strip can be used to cover the missing tint. As for speedometer error, its 5% high using gps check. Odometer looks about the same. Indicated 60 mph is 57 mph actual. MPG looks like approx. 34-35 mpg in first 500 miles. Computer and actual miles/gallons calculation is very close. 80% highway 20% city. No noted problems or defects. Car is tight, runs and drives great!
    03 stock head unit has no aux inputs. You'll have to upgrade.
  • masondcmasondc Posts: 4
    I have a new 2007 Hyundai Elantra with XM radio. I am a loyal XM radio fan but so far have had a frustrating time with the installed XM radios because I cannot figure out how to scroll through program information in the way normal XM radios work.

So far as I can tell, you can only scroll through channels in the installed XM radio. But most XM radios have three levels of detail -- Channel, Program (i.e., what's on this hour), and Detail. For example, if you are watching an MLB baseball game you will see:

Channel: 179 -- MLB Baseball
    Program: Braves vs. Nationals
    Detail: 2-0, Top 3rd, 1 out

With a normal XM radio you can set the radio to show the "Program" level and scroll through all the baseball games. But on the Elantra you have to scroll through Channel -- which gives you no detail -- and stop at every channel, then hit the info button to see more about the program. A real pain in the butt.

Does anyone know a way to set the XM to scroll through other levels of detail? It is possible I am missing something, but I have tried everything I could think of.
  • Hello masondc from California.
    We just bought the Elantra GLS, preferred package with the XM option. Wondering what the cost is for subscribing to XM radio nowadays?
    thanks,
  • nthenthe Posts: 414
    xmradio.com
  • fjej1970fjej1970 Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 2006 Elantra and i recently upgrade the factory stock Stereo witha JVC HD Radio and i would like to upgrade the speakers but i dont know how to remove the old ones Any help?
    To get to the door speakers, take the door panels off. There are some screws on the rear edge (with plastic covers over them), at the armrest (with plastic covers over them) and near the handle. Once that screw is out, remove the plastic "bowl" it was holding in. Then there are pop fasteners around the bottom and sides; just pop them off by pulling away from the door so the bottom of the door is free and clipped in only at the top, then lift the whole thing up so it disengages at the top by the window. You have to disconnect electrical connectors for the courtesy light at the bottom corner and the power window switches.

To reinstall it, it helps to remove the little piece of triangular trim by the rear view mirror; otherwise it's just the opposite of taking it off.

With the trim off, you should have easy access to the speakers.

To replace rear speakers, click here if you have a sedan or if you have a hatch, fold the seat back down and remove the rear speaker trim by loosening the two bolts visible from the cargo area:

And the bolt and screw in the rear seat area:

Then pull the piece up and toward the middle of the car. There will be a slot to slide the seat belt out.

Speaker size, I think, is 6-3/4" in the doors, 6-3/4" in the rears on the hatch version (6-1/2" can work for 6-3/4"), and 6" x 9" for the rears on the sedan.
  • fjej1970fjej1970 Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that mine is a 2006 Sedan not Hatchback, thx.
    Then just click the link before the first picture.
  • gblackwegblackwe Posts: 8
    Is Hyundai supposed to provide a cable to connect your MP3/iPOD to the radio?
  • harlqnharlqn Posts: 18
    I never saw anything pre-sale that indicated it was part of the deal. But about 3 weeks after buying the car, a cable with a HONKING big isolator block showed up in the mail directly from Hyundai (not the dealer).
    Maybe they have problems with the signal getting corrupted by noise.