Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Security Systems

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
Questions or comments about the Elantra's factory security system or aftermarket systems? Post them here!

Comments

• toddmerkintoddmerkin Member Posts: 4
    OK - GOT A QUESTION. LETS SAY THE BATTERY IN YOUR KEY FOB DIES AND YOU HAVE NO SPARE. YOU OPEN THE DOOR WITH THR KEY AND THE ALARM GOES OFF. THERES A WAY TO WAIT TILL THE ALRAM RECYCLES AND THEY START THR CAR - I KNOW CAUSE A TECH SHOWED ME - AND I FORGOT HOW TO DO IT.

ANYONE WHO KNOWS THIS TECHNIQUE - PLS INFORM THE REST OF US. IT COULD MAKE GETTING HOME SOME NITE A LOT EASIER
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    First of all, LOSE THE CAPS LOCK, it comes across as if you're YELLING at us.

I don't think there is anything you can do without the scan tool the technician has. I think I heard that if you turn it off and on 10 times it may work, but I don't know for sure.

Maybe you can buy a new battery for the remote?
  • apryzapryz Member Posts: 2
    You can unlock the door with key and the alarm will sound, then put the key into the ignition and turn to the on position, leave in the on position for 60 seconds and turn back off, repeat this again and this will clear the alarm. It usually will turn off during the first 60 seconds but you should repeat to be sure.
  • dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    I have just one original key for my 04 Elantra GT with the keyless remote fob. I made 2 extra keys at Home Depot incase I lose my original key.
    I want to get another keyless remote. What's the cheapest way of going about this?

Thanks for any suggestions!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    eBay is one alternative. But the remote has to be programmed. Not sure if it's owner-programmable or not. Some remotes require special tools to program.
    It's not owner programmable, and the 04-06 Elantra is designed to accept only two key fobs. So if you're replacing a lost one, that's programmable (by the dealer), but if it's to add a third fob, the box that controlls the alarm is not designed to handle that. (I think the business of leaving the key in for 60 seconds doesn't work with models later than 03 either.)

The 01-03 key fob is owner programmable; I can't recall whether you can add a third key fob or not. Instructions for programming the remote on the 01-03 Elantra are here. There is an error in the directions, though, in that it says it works for 01-04 Elantras; the design changed for 04 and it only works for 01-03 models. (I've confirmed this with Anton, the guy who wrote those directions.)
  • machinistmachinist Member Posts: 6
    I purchased one from a company on the web called thepartsyouneed (yes, spelled like that)(they are from Arizona) for $30. I waited and waited and contacted the company numerouse times, but they wouldn't reply. I even tried to call, but no one answered. Finally after going through the Better Business Bureau and filing a complaint, they sent me the remote. The company stated that they mailed it out, but after receiving the remote (7 weeks later) I checked the postmark and it was for 3 days prior to my receiving it. I looked the company up on the BBB, and they had dozens of complaints. :mad:
    STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.
    I might would suggest checking Ebay, but be very careful from who you buy from. I heard that dealers charge crazy fees for programming the remotes, but there is a way to do it yourself, but I am not totally sure how at this moment. Although, I have the instructions to the remote somewhere that explains how. Maybe someone on this forum knows.
    I know people who used thepartsyouneed in the past with no problems, but the last time I went there, their site was down so I assumed they were out of business. It's a shame they're not as good as they used to be.

Here are directions for coding a remote for 2001-2003 Elantra. The 2004 and later models are different and cannot be done without dealer equipment. (The writeup says 01-04, but I've discussed this with Anton, the guy who wrote the article, and he said that when he wrote it in early 2004, he did not realize the 2004 model was different.)
  • remag1234remag1234 Member Posts: 32
    Google it using <keyless remotes+[put ur state]. Look for some close to your home and go from there. Another way is to find a GOOD locksmith who installs alarms etc. You may pay a little more but it's worth it not to screw around with far off stealers. Flip a coin with ebay vendors, they're getting higher priced and some are just plain crooks.
  • dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • mf18nhmf18nh Member Posts: 1
    2007 Elantra sedan alarm goes off regularly in the early morning and at other times also. Any ideas on what is causing it and how I can handle it until the dealer looks at it? Thinking of just locking it manually.
  • hyundaiownerhyundaiowner Member Posts: 2
    Try opening and closing all doors, the trunk and the hood of the car. My friend had an 05 that would go off like that. The alarm sensors on the doors, trunk, and hood are very sensitive and may not have good contact. Good Luck!
  • hyundaiownerhyundaiowner Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know a good remote starter that will work for an 07 Elantra? I have heard of trouble with these systems and that the disable some of the OEM security features.

Thanks for any advice!
    As far as the switches on the doors go, the answer is almost always the hood switch. On the 07 model it's behind the right headlamp (E14 HOOD SWITCH):

• vmurciavmurcia Member Posts: 1
    I am actually pleased about the information that I got about how to recycle my car alarm because my key got in the laundry and the keyless was not working,and the tip here helped so I can get into my car again. Well I got a new battery for it and the lights do go on the keyless remote, I want to know how can I reprogram the factory keyless remote?
  • 81yobuff81yobuff Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a sweet 2006 Hyundai Elantra w/55k miles. No manual. Their is a sticker on the window that says, Hyundai Security System. It is sort of gold color and triangle shaped. I would like to know what it is, what it does and how to do it. Thank you. Al Fiori
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No idea. No Hyundai I've owned had a sticker like that. There's a standard "security system" in that Elantra but it's an alarm that's activated by locking the doors with the keyfob.

If you bought the car from a private party, you might ask them. Or call or email Hyundai Customer Support and ask them:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/contact-us.aspx