Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Tires and Wheels

2»

Comments

• doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    Correct. So if you want to change out just the hubcaps, you have to jack up each wheel to take the weight off while you're doing it. It seems like a pain, but when they're held on by the lug nuts, your hubcaps will NEVER fall off!
  • I have a 2005 Elantra. The paint is coming off my hubcaps and looks horrible. I can’t find a reasonable place to get new ones or a reasonable website. And you have to get the ones without fake lug nuts. Although it’s nice to never loose your hubcaps, it’s also hard to find cheap replacements. Any ideas where to get cheap replacements?
  • My wife's '01 has the flaking hubcap paint also. I figured the next time I rotated the wheels I would scuff up the hubcap and paint it with a high quality silver paint made for adhering to plastics...
  • I know there is a school of thought to pump tires to its recommended top PSI. That's a maximum, not a recommendation. My 08 Elantra SE's recommended pressure for the Hankook tires are 32psi.

Oddly, I've occasionally come away from inspection or oil/filter services with the tires pumped way high. I even came away from my Hyundai dealer on the purchase date with the tires in the 40s. But I can tell this right away because it feels like the tires are too hard. It may increase MGP but at a sacrifice in ride comfort.

So I'm experimenting with my new Elantra. I've come down in steps gradually from 44psi to find my best compromise. I'm around 34psi now. I find the ride a little firm on this car so I may end up right at 32psi. To each his own.
  • I hope someon could help me, I have an 02 Elantra and would like to know if i could put 195/65/15 snows on my car. can any one help me?
  • bill273bill273 Posts: 2
    WE JUST LEASED A 2010 ELANTRA AND HAVE LESS THAN 600 MI ON IT. WE LOVE THE RIDE AND REALLY EVERYTHING ABOUT THE CAR. WE SWICTHED FROM COROLLAS WHICH I HAD DRIVEN OVER A SERIES OF 3 THREE YEAR LEASES. HOWEVER, AS I DROVE THE ELANTRA ON OUR FIRST WET WEATHER DAY ON THE INTERSTATE, I NOTICED THAT DESPITE THE FACT THERE WAS NOT A LOT OF WATER ON THE ROAD THE TIRES SEEMED TO NOT GRIP THE PAVEMENT AS WELL AND THE SPLASH OF WATER UP AGAINST THE UNDERCARRIAGE CREATED MUCH MORE NOISE THAN I AM USED TO HEARING WITH THE COROLLA. THE TIRES ARE THE STANDARD ISSUE DUNLOP P195/65R15'S
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,693
    Have you checked the tire pressure? Sometimes they are overfilled and dealers fail to adjust them before delivery.
  • bill273bill273 Posts: 2
    Thanks!
    Already scheduled to have it into dealer tomorrow for check of alignment and tires.
    Looking for feedback from others in case there have been other experiences.
  • trainerusatrainerusa Posts: 3
    Hello guys,
    I'm wondering if 205/55R16 winter tires with the relevant wheels will fits into Elantra'03.
    Please advise
  • blebnevusblebnevus Posts: 13
    I just bought a 2010 Elantra and noticed it was riding rather roughly. Eventually I checked the tires and discovered that all four had been inflated to 37 psi. I see that one or two other posters have noticed this as well. Is there any good reason for this, or is it like TVs that are set too bright at the factory? Presumably I should bring them down to 32, yes?
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,234
    Bring them to whatever's on your car's sticker. The sticker is on the driver's door frame so open the door & look for the sticker; it won't show when the door is closed. Trust the sticker more than the car's manual.

That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with overinflating a few PSI. It will return marginally higher MPG at the expense of a firmer (some might say harsher) ride.

As I advised someone in a thread about another make, go down to 32 PSI (or the recommended..) and run with that for a tank or two of gas. If you find the ride too soft for your taste, bump the PSI up by 2 and try again. When you hit the point where you prefer the ride, stop; i.e. when the ride gets too firm, back off. Also stop if you get close to the max PSI of the tires themselves (listed on the tire sidewall).

If you do settle on something other than the recommended, remember to tell your shop about it when bringing the car in for an oil change or other service since most places check the air as part of their "free inspection".

BTW on my prior car I ran my 32-PSI-recommended tires at 37 for several years with no consequences. I liked the ride better. I haven't even looked at what my current car's tires are set to. :blush:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,693
    Tires are overinflated for shipping on the trucks. Dealers are supposed to set them to spec before delivery. You might mention that to the service manager next time you go in--let them know someone didn't do his/her job.

As noted, running them at 37 psi won't hurt them, but you will probably find the ride is much smoother at 32.
  • blebnevusblebnevus Posts: 13
    Thanks, fushigi and backy. Very helpful.
  • cpo1990cpo1990 Posts: 2
    I own a 2008 Hyundia Elantra GLS. Twice I've had wheel studs break away when attempting to repair flats. The last one I couldn't budge 2 of the lug nuts so I took the car in to a qualified mechanic. The minute the first one broke off he stopped all work. I'm afraid the other stud will snap off when they try and replace the already broken one. Has anyone had this problem? To me it sounds like either the wheel stud is expanding or the lug nut is expanding due to heat and not going back to its' orginal size. Larry :(
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 793
    CPO1990,

Someone likely over-torque the lug nuts and stretched the studs to a point near breakage. Removing the lug nuts was merely the straw that broke the camels back.
  • cpo1990cpo1990 Posts: 2
    capriracer: Thanks for the input. Your the second person that has said this. I took the first broken wheel stud to a machine shop and they said the same thing. If anyone reading this has had this problem, please post it. Again, thanks. Larry
  • My wife owns a 2001 Elantra. We kept hearing a clicking noise in rear wheel while braking. Discovered that some of the wheel nuts were bottoming out on the stud (it is a "closed nut") before 80 lb torque was reached. This condition left the hub a little bit loose. I consider this to be a dangerous condition. It could also be what has led to some bolts wringing off since now every blow of the air wrench is transferred perfectly to the bolt with zero slippage of the nut on the bolt.

I intend to pursue this with Hyundai. At this point I am tempted to grind off a few thousandths from each bolt, but first want to see if Hyundai has a fix.
2»