Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Warranty Questions

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    I don't have my '04 Elantra owners manual in front of me, but you can check in you dad's as to whether a transmission fluid change is required at 30k miles under the manufacturer's service schedule. If so, then I can see the point of the dealer, although they should explain how not changing the transmission fluid 10k miles ago would have caused a transmission leak. I know I had my Elantra's transmission flushed at 30k miles, but I don't recall whether it was a recommended or required service.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    Backy.
    I thought that your 04 was a 5-speed like ours.
  • jfh2jfh2 Posts: 3
    the manual says "I" inspect till over 100K miles then it's a "R" the next page says to flush it out every 30k if you use it for frequent short trips, hauling, ride rough roads ect. but that isn't my parents
    So if your dad has some proof that the tranny fluid was at least inspected around 30k miles, that should do it.

Personally, I think flushing before 100k is a good idea even if the usage isn't "severe". It's not a huge expense--but a tranny replacement is.
    Maybe you are thinking of the '01 Elantra GLS I had, which was a 5-speed. I sold it to my sister a couple of years ago. She loves it.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    Yes, that must be it. I remember the clutch went because of rough treatment. I think I will get an auto next time.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    If a car is stolen in my state (CT) , the insurance company must pay the fair market value of the car if it is not revocered within 30 days. So, if a car is stolen and recovered after the insurance company has paid for the car, the insurance company can sell the car with a clear title & the warrantly would be intact if the car were not totaled by the thieves.

I think the original poster said the only damage was a broken rear window.

If a car is totaled by the owner or by a thief, the title is stamped salvage. That would void any remaining waranty.
  • inkycatinkycat Posts: 8
    I just bought an '08 Elantra SE and I have a service/warranty question.

The normal service interval is 7,500 miles; the "severe" service interval is 3,750 miles. If I split the difference and get it serviced every 5,000 miles, following the inspection/replacement schedule as closely as possible, will Hyundai honor the warranty down the road? Or if I follow the normal service schedule, will they refuse warranty service later by claiming I should have been following the "severe" schedule?
    How will they know whether you should be following the severe schedule or not? Why not just pick the 3750 or 7500 service interval, based on your driving habits and environment? Is 3750 all that much different than 5000?
  • inkycatinkycat Posts: 8
    I asked because while I do mostly highway driving, I will do some cold weather driving and short distance driving. 3,750 seems way too soon to do oil changes to me - everything I've ever heard says 3,000 was invented by the quick lube folks to double their sales. I'd just as soon change every 7500, but I want to make sure Hyundai won't come back at me and say, "Hey, it's been below freezing for most of the last two months - we won't cover this because you should have come in sooner!"
    As I said... how will they know you drove the car on some short trips, or in cold weather? For all they know you go down to your condo in Fort Lauderdale in the winter. ;)

Anyway, you seem to be really worrying about this, so maybe the extra oil changes are worth the peace of mind they will give you. What are they, about $25 a pop? I have the oil changed on my Elantra every 3750 miles or thereabouts because: 1) I only drive 7500 miles a year or so, and 2) the oil changes are free. :) Plus I do drive some short distances and in some really cold weather (like below zero F).
  • kato8kato8 Posts: 11
    Received a call that the bumper to bumper warrant is about to expire on my 2005 elantra.
    Does anyone know the cost from Hyndai? I know that some toyota dealers in the midwest are less expensive for extended toyota factory warranties than those in the northeast.
    I am not sure that you can get a Hyundai extended warranty now, near 60k miles. I thought it had to be extended before one year or 12k miles. But maybe they have loosened that requirement since the last time I checked on it on my Elantra, a few years ago.
  • Looking to purchase a used 2007 Elantra -previous rental car. I see that the 10 yr powertrain is non-transferrable. Instead, those parts will be covered under the 5 yr bumper to bumper.

BUT..will I find that those part are excluded due to being a prior rental? See the wording from the Hyundai official site:

econd and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).
    The 10/100k powertrain warranty does not pertain to commercial vehicles. However, if you look under the 5/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty provisions on the same web page, you'll see there is no limitation for commercial use.

Edit: I have confirmed through Hyundai Customer Service that as long as the car's title was not already "branded" a 2nd time (e.g. the rental company PLUS someone else), meaning there has been only one owner, then the remainder of the 5/60k warranty transfers. I talked with a dealer the other day and they told me that when the rental company sells the car to an auctioneer and then they sell it to a dealer, these are not considered "ownership" for warranty purposes.
  • I just bought a Hyundai Elantra 2004, with 54000 miles.

I was told that there might still be a warranty on the car and I'm here to find out. (Didn't know how to contact Hyundai)

So, when I saw the CarFax, there is a first owner, who drove the car for about a year and a half. Then there's a second owner who drove the car for almost two years. Then, when the dealer bought it, there's me driving it.

My question is, is the warranty still valid? I guess it's not a big deal, since there's only around 6,000 miles left of the warranty but since I've read that the timing belt might fail around that time as well, having a warranty of the timing belt would really give me a peace of mind.

Anyone knows if the warranty would still be valid?

I'm thinking of bringing it into a dealer to change its headlight bulb. Then again, if the warranty doesn't cover it, I might as well change it myself since it's really too simple to do. :)
    The easiest way to find out if your car still has factory warranty on it is to call Hyundai Customer Service (number is on the hyundaiusa.com web site or in the owners manual), give them the VIN, and they can tell you whether it has warranty left. You probably already know the car's original in-service date, from Carfax, but they could tell you that also. That is important of course because the bumper-to-bumper warranty is five years OR 60k miles, whichever comes first. From the info you gave, it appears the car was originally put into use in very late 2004 or even early 2005, so that bodes well for having some warranty left--if it transfers beyond the 2nd owner.

Another thing: I don't know where you heard the timing belt might fail at 60k miles, but that is inaccurate. In most states, the timing belt is a maintenance item at 60k miles. That doesn't mean the belt is in imminent danger of breaking at 60k, but that it's a real good idea to change it then since if it did break, that would severely damage the engine. Also, replacing the timing belt is NOT covered under warranty--unless of course it breaks before 60k miles. But replacing it under other circumstances is your responsibility.

While at the dealer for the bulb, ask them to run a check on outstanding recalls (there were some on the 2004 Elantra including one involving the airbag programming and one on the fuel line to the gas tank) and see what service history they have in their computers--Carfax reports don't typically have all service records.
  • I recently purchased a 06 elantra with the hvt engine at 10/15 thousand revs there
    is a rattle like a tappet noise I have taken it back to main agent they say the car has a harsh sounding
    engine as normal and no out of place noises, I have checked with 4 other cars
    and they have the same rattle is this normal and is that why they changed to
    the cvvt engine,Being an ex mechanic I believe this is an oil pressure problem at
    those revs and that is why they changed engines.
  • jayessjayess Posts: 59
    I am looking to purchase an 06 elantra w/26,360 miles, and about 2 yrs left on the 5/60 warranty. It was originally titled to a rental/fleet, then auctioned after 18,281 miles according to carfax and purchased as a private vehicle from a dealer. The dealer I'm looking to buy from just acquired it in trade.
    I know that the powertrain drops to 5/60 for subsequent owners but am unclear as per vehicles that began life in a fleet. From HyundaiUSA's website:
    "Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.)."
    I want to understand that "in commercial use" means when they are used as such because otherwise, if it starts out in as a rental then transfers to private owner(s) there never is a powertrain warranty.
    Should probably check with Hyundai, I'd hate to learn that 'in' really means never ever!
    Yes, I think the best thing to do is call Hyundai customer service, give them the VIN and they can tell you if it's still covered under the 5/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty--which it should be. It won't have the extra 4 years/40k of powertrain warranty however--the car has already had an owner. That is true whether the original owner was a fleet or private party.

I got a lot of experience on this question while I was looking at used Elantras and Sonatas last year. I didn't end up buying one, but I did confirm that a car that was originally in use as a fleet vehicle (e.g. rental car) does still qualify for the remainder of the 5/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty.

P.S. If you are buying from a Hyundai dealer, they might be able to extend the 5/60k warranty to 10/100k bumper-to-bumper, or add on the 10/100k powertrain warranty, as a "Hyundai Certified" car. For a price, of course.
  • jayessjayess Posts: 59
    Thanks backy, I know it would only be 5/60 but that's ok as long as I get the balance of that. It's for my daughter for school and it's one of those with the TCS/ABS/sun roof packages so she'd get the extra safety features which we like. It's not a Hyundai dealer but maybe I should look into an extended warranty.
    Just be careful on an extended warranty that is not from the car manufacturer... they have been known to go belly-up (cf. "Ultimate Warranty").
  • I have a 2002 Elantra GT that I have loved. Driving to work the engine overheated. When I pulled over and looked under the hood I saw that the radiator had split. I had it towed to my mechanic (not a dealer) and was told the the engine was damaged. I had it towed to a Hyundai dealer to have them check it out. The car had 80K miles on it. I just got a call back today and they are saying that the thermostat was the cause; and since the thermostat is only covered up to 60K that Hyundai would not pay to repair/replace the engine. What is my recourse? What should I do next?
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    So the cooling system isn't part of the 100k "powertrain" warranty? Hmmm. I smell a rat.
    The thermostat is not a covered part under the powertrain warranty. That is clear from the warranty book that came with your car. It's also pretty typical for powertrain warranties.

However... if you have had all factory-required service performed on the car, meaning the last major service would have been at about 75k miles (and you have the records for all maintenance), and assuming a Hyundai dealer has never before told you to replace the thermostat and you declined to do so, you might try appealing to the dealer's service manager and if necessary the owner to give you a break on the repair, as a loyal Hyundai customer yada yada. You might get a more favorable response if you've had past maintenance performed at Hyundai dealers, particularly the dealer you took your car to re the radiator. You could also try taking up your case with Hyundai Customer Service. They are under no obligation under the warranty to help with the repair, but they might do it as a customer service gesture. Doesn't hurt to ask.
    I would suspect that most customers would interpret "powertrain" to mean "anything the engine, transmission, and driveline need in order to function properly." So they'd assume that the cooling system, as well as the PCM, the fuel injection system, and the essential electrical system (alternator, starter, ignition) would be included.

If they made that assumption, they'd feel misled by the company, and I wouldn't blame them. How many people read the list of covered items in the warranty before they make a purchase decision on an automobile? ';
    You and others can interpret and assume all you want. But a few minutes spent reading the car's warranty book or doing a search on the Web will point out that almost all powertrain warranties are limited to the engine block (either short block or long block) and, in most cases, the transmission or transaxle. There are a few exceptions to that, e.g. it appears VW's powertrain warranty covers more parts, but in general powertrain warranties are pretty limited on the components covered. Few if any cover parts like fuel injectors, alternators, and... thermostats. Some don't even cover gaskets--although it looks like Hyundai's does.

Hyundai was up front with the car buyer by providing details on its warranties in a book that comes with the car. They also provide details on their web site, and will answer questions about the warranty if you call Customer Service or a dealer. It isn't Hyundai's fault if someone makes an inaccurate assumption about warranty coverage, unless someone at Hyundai mis-represented the warranty, e.g. if a sales rep told a buyer, "Oh, sure, our powertrain warranty covers thermostats, fuel injectors, all that kind of stuff!", then that would be a reason to blame Hyundai. It's not Hyundai's fault if a buyer didn't bother to ask, "What parts are covered by the powertrain warranty?" or take a few minutes to read the warranty book.
    When I was in the car business, the manuals, warranty booklet, etc. were not provided until the customer took delivery of the vehicle. In other words, after the sale contract was signed.
    Now we have the "power of the Web." Also, I'll bet if a customer asked about warranty provisions before they took delivery, you'd answer the question, right?
  • Yesterday I bought Elantra '03 from private party. Today I heard about extended Hyndai's warranty for this model. Could somebody shed me the light on this situation? Am I eligible for getting this warranty from Hyndai and what should I do for this?