Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Warranty Questions

Comments

• nthenthe Posts: 414
    the 60k service is the only service required at a hyundai facility.
    it depends, but i would check with a hyundai dealer or HMA to find out for sure. I know if a car is wrecked and totaled by an insurance company, the warranty is voided, but i'm not sure how it is considered if it was stolen, considered a total loss, then recovered.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Can you please provide a reference from Hyundai noting that the 60k service must be performed at a Hyundai dealer? Thanks.
    i don't have one, its just what i've been told since working for a hyundai dealership.
    Then you may want to verify it before you post it here. That kind of statement could lead people to think that they MUST have the most expensive service (60k) for their Hyundai performed at a Hyundai dealership. Which of course is great for dealers like the one you work at, but maybe not great for the owners.

Your dealership's management should review the Magnuson-Moss Act, a federal statute that prohibits a manufacturer from requiring a consumer to use a service or maintenance item from the manufacturer, unless such service or item is provided free of charge under its warranty, or unless the Federal Trade Commission waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

So in other words, unless your dealership wants to give free 60k services to Hyundai owners, it should stop telling them that the 60k service must be performed by a Hyundai dealership.
  • pluto8pluto8 Posts: 5
    Hello,
    I just helped my mother with the purchase of an '05 Elantra GT AT with 28,760 miles. The dealer did not have the warranty handbook nor any service records for the car. The title is clean with one previous personal owner. Are there any steps she must take with Hyundai to transfer the warranty? Is there a way to get a copy of the handbook? Are the missing service records an issue? Any help is of course greatly appreciated.
  • Hi Pluto

I also got a 2005 Hyundai Elantra and I did not have the Handbook. Call there 800 number tell them what you just said and they will send you the copy of the handbook. They are very nice and eager to help you. As far as the warranty goes you still have the powertrain warranty on it. As for me I am getting an extended warranty for mine. When you were doing the financing did the Finance manager ask you about extended warranties.?
    Anyway I hope this helps you out. Good Luck with the car. I really love mine. Sweet Ride
    Nan :)
    Actually, at best pluto8 has the remainder of the 5-year, 60k bumper-to-bumper warranty (including powertrain of course). But the extra 5 years of powertrain warranty does not transfer to 2nd and later owners.
  • pluto8pluto8 Posts: 5
    Correct. I called the 800 number and transferred the warranty. They're also sending the copy of the handbook. They said she has the remainder of the 5yr/60k warranty including powertrain and that lack of service records from the prior owner should not be a problem so long as the new service records are safeguarded. I was surprised that the Roadside assistance transfers as well for the original term. I bypassed the generic extended warranties the finance officer offered. Thank you for the replies.
  • jfh2jfh2 Posts: 3
    my dad's '04 elantra w/ 40K miles broke down this week. it developed trans fluid leak. He took to a local garage the car sat overnight by the morning the garage said it was very low on fluid. He took the car to the dealer to see if still was covered by the warranty - the dealer said that since my dad hadn't changed his trany fluid at 30K they would not honor the warranty. Does this sound right to anyone?
    I don't have my '04 Elantra owners manual in front of me, but you can check in you dad's as to whether a transmission fluid change is required at 30k miles under the manufacturer's service schedule. If so, then I can see the point of the dealer, although they should explain how not changing the transmission fluid 10k miles ago would have caused a transmission leak. I know I had my Elantra's transmission flushed at 30k miles, but I don't recall whether it was a recommended or required service.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    Backy.
    I thought that your 04 was a 5-speed like ours.
  • jfh2jfh2 Posts: 3
    the manual says "I" inspect till over 100K miles then it's a "R" the next page says to flush it out every 30k if you use it for frequent short trips, hauling, ride rough roads ect. but that isn't my parents
    So if your dad has some proof that the tranny fluid was at least inspected around 30k miles, that should do it.

Personally, I think flushing before 100k is a good idea even if the usage isn't "severe". It's not a huge expense--but a tranny replacement is.
    Maybe you are thinking of the '01 Elantra GLS I had, which was a 5-speed. I sold it to my sister a couple of years ago. She loves it.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    Yes, that must be it. I remember the clutch went because of rough treatment. I think I will get an auto next time.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    If a car is stolen in my state (CT) , the insurance company must pay the fair market value of the car if it is not revocered within 30 days. So, if a car is stolen and recovered after the insurance company has paid for the car, the insurance company can sell the car with a clear title & the warrantly would be intact if the car were not totaled by the thieves.

I think the original poster said the only damage was a broken rear window.

If a car is totaled by the owner or by a thief, the title is stamped salvage. That would void any remaining waranty.
  • inkycatinkycat Posts: 8
    I just bought an '08 Elantra SE and I have a service/warranty question.

The normal service interval is 7,500 miles; the "severe" service interval is 3,750 miles. If I split the difference and get it serviced every 5,000 miles, following the inspection/replacement schedule as closely as possible, will Hyundai honor the warranty down the road? Or if I follow the normal service schedule, will they refuse warranty service later by claiming I should have been following the "severe" schedule?
    How will they know whether you should be following the severe schedule or not? Why not just pick the 3750 or 7500 service interval, based on your driving habits and environment? Is 3750 all that much different than 5000?
  • inkycatinkycat Posts: 8
    I asked because while I do mostly highway driving, I will do some cold weather driving and short distance driving. 3,750 seems way too soon to do oil changes to me - everything I've ever heard says 3,000 was invented by the quick lube folks to double their sales. I'd just as soon change every 7500, but I want to make sure Hyundai won't come back at me and say, "Hey, it's been below freezing for most of the last two months - we won't cover this because you should have come in sooner!"