Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra: Reviews & News from the Pros (Edmunds, C/D, CR, MT etc.)

124»

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,719
    What I am trying to say is that Hyundai didn't go "far out" in styling the Elantra, because that risks turning off some large segment of the market.
    Don't bring up traction conrol, if the elantra offered it it would be a nice addition.

Unfortunately, if the Elantra offered traction control standard, some review or some poster here would say that they copied VW (since I believe the Rabbit/Jetta is the only car in this class to offer traction control standard even on the base models, isn't it?) and there we are all over again--more "lameness" from Hyundai, right?

I get much better than sticker on my Elantra in fuel economy too. Big whoop. And it's other reviewers (MT for example) that call the Rabbit's engine thrashy.

I didn't call the Rabbit unreliable--I referred to VW's reliability overall or lack thereof.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    so is that an easy way of saying boring? Or a dressed up way to say 'unaggressive?" :blush: Your choice backster. :P
    Really? which reviewers have said this? How many owners have said it? And if they have how big of a percentage of rabbit owners do they represent? A very small one. There is a whole world outside of carspace backy; hate to break it to you. The engine is great. Not thrashiness on my part. I'll drive home now in peace and quitet with an engine that stays at a tame just barely 1900rpms while i go 80 on the interstate. Thrashy. Puh-lease.

To be honest with you i wouldn't have thought them lame. Traction control is going to be like airbags soon; it would have been nice to see hyundai on the same boat. I honestly wouldn't have seen that as lame. Such and angry post backster. Just go and drive your way. :P
    Neither. I said what I said.

Here's what some professional reviewers said (getting back to the topic):

The exterior upgrades include distinctive headlamps, bold hood design, chrome accented grille, an aggressive looking lower air intake and new fog lights.

http://www.carlist.com/newcars/2007/ncr1161.html

The upside-down trapezoidal grille, combined with canted headlamps and a narrow lower intake give the car an unusually aggressive look...

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Hyundai/review/2007-hyundai-elantra-preview/18- 51/
    I think you are confusing anger with ROFL.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We seem to have gotten rather far afield of the subject here which is specifically reviews and news from the pros. I'll invite a couple of you to check out the list of Elantra discussions and pick a suitable one for your concerns.

Also, let's remember to not make these exchanges personal.

Thanks.
  • were any of your civics current generation?

Admittedly, no. I have mentioned this in the Civic vs. Elantra post previously, but I have owned the following:
    95 CX Hatch
    01 DX Sedan w/air
    99 LX Sedan (currently driving)

The only one of those without really cheap plastics is the 99. The 01 plastic dash was scratched by my wife's engagement ring the first week we got it and it was not repairable. I have not driven the 06 or 07 yet. I don't care for the exterior design of the sedan, and a coupe is not practical enough for me. Also, a bad quality/service experience has forced me to no longer consider Honda a top rated manufacturer. For the full story, please visit Civic vs. Elantra post #1421.

Honda isn't known for cheap plastics. Ever.

Again, I site that two of my three, which are all fairly recent (I'm not comparing to 1974 early civic, which probably also had cheap plastics). I'm sure that Hyundai has used cheap plastics in the interior in past generations as well. I have sat in and examined the 07 Elantra, and I don't see a great deal of "cheap" plastics used, but maybe you and/or the reviewers did. Okay, we each have our own opinion.

Theres no need for me to be lectured on familiarity and why people imitate certain ideas because they are well recevied. I have mentioned before that hyundai just has a really obvious trend of doing so with many of thier vehicles, more so than other brands in my eyes.

Sorry if it came across that way, my point was just that even ideas that have been recorded as most effective in history were influenced by previous ones.
    Also, a bad quality/service experience has forced me to no longer consider Honda a top rated manufacturer. For the full story, please visit Civic vs. Elantra post #1421.

I'm sorry that this is what has made you no longer like hondas as much, initially it sounds like a stupid reason that could only be on a few dealers, but i understand.

I have not driven the 06 or 07 yet. I don't care for the exterior design of the sedan, and a coupe is not practical enough for me.

again i think you should take a look into the sedan with a darker interior, its tremendously nice. I love the way the new civic looks, it just grows no you, very adventerous design.
  • I'm sorry that this is what has made you no longer like hondas as much, initially it sounds like a stupid reason that could only be on a few dealers, but i understand.

I'm not sure I understand this response - did you read the entire post? Because I don't consider a major transmission problem to be stupid. Just so you know, though, I did bring that car to four different dealers, none of whom were able to address the problem to my satisfaction. I contacted Honda's corporate office and they also could not identify the problem or assist me with service departments. Eventually, I decided to cut my losses and trade the car.

again i think you should take a look into the sedan with a darker interior, its tremendously nice. I love the way the new civic looks, it just grows no you, very adventerous design.

The interior design is not what bothers me. I do not like the look of the sedan's exterior. I feel it is out of proportion (the windshield comes down too far forward).

Thanks for the input, though!
  • In its Jan 07 issue, Automobile has a half page review of Elantra. It's all positive.
    That's pretty significant. Automobile positions itself as a mag for enthusiasts and has a policy of "no boring cars."
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Elantra Review Day by Day Canadian Driver

Should be interesting to see how the Elantra fares. I expect it to be positively reviewed.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Elantra Test Drive Canadian Driver

quote-
    We really like the way the new Elantra behaves, and we can live without a high-tech interior and edgy styling, but we're not sure if we'd be willing to give up the extra standard safety features that Honda and Mazda offer in this class. Many young families rely on cars in this class for safe transportation. Why should they have to pay extra for that peace of mind?
    -end-
    Yes, it's really too bad (for the Canucks) that Hyundai chose not to offer standard ABS and side bags/curtains on the Elantra sold up there, as they do in the U.S. In the U.S. at least, the Elantra is actually superior to most Civics in standard safety features (if you count 4 wheel disc brakes as a safety feature) and is superior to some Mazda3's in that not all of them offer standard ABS and side bags/curtains.
  • Geez does Hyundai cut corners on the Canadian version. Bare metal trunk, no lumbar support, nor ABS on the tested model. Why anyone would buy this thing in Canada over a Mazda3 or Civic to save a few bucks beats me. Is Hyundai trying to fail?

Despite the firmer suspension, the car's seemingly taut structure makes for a rattle-free drive even over rough roads.

Give it time my friend (exactly 4350 miles). It wont be long until it sounds like my '04, buzzes and rattles galore.

p.s. love those classy painted plastic door handles. Hyundai for life!
    I think you are fogetting that the 2007 Elantra is a new design with a much stiffer structure than your '04.
  • That's Hyundai: "our previous generation of cars is great...don't look at last year's cars for any indication of future issues"
    A 49 percent improvement in stiffness from '06 to '07 is a significant change. In other words, the 2007 Elantra is a much different car than yours. It may not act the same.

In fact, other '04 Elantras don't act the same as yours. Mine is tight and rattle-free. Pretty good I think, considering the pot-holed streets I drive over every day.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    your 04 elantra sounds alot like our 05 civic, rattles galore and parts that fall off. Lucky it was under warranty when it happen but no longer-exceeded the mileage. We have no rattles with our 05 elantra with 46,000 miles.
124»
This discussion has been closed.