Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra: Reviews & News from the Pros (Edmunds, C/D, CR, MT etc.)

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    You call 6 airgags minor difference? :sick:

Did the Elantra get crashed DURING the review? No.

The number of airbags is not going to affect the way the car drives.
  • but missing the airbags certainly contributed to the reviewer's conclusion that it "feels cheap". Besides, i wouldn't be surprised if the aussie models differ in other aspects that may affect its handling.
    but missing the airbags certainly contributed to the reviewer's conclusion that it "feels cheap".

I disagree about the airbags contributing to feeling cheap.

I also disagree that the car feels cheap overall. There are only two small items in the interior that I would consider cheaply or poorly done. The storage compartment on the top center of the dash and the storage compartment on the center console (below the climate controls) opening mechanisms both felt cheap to me.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    If I wanted to nit-pick, I'd say the non-damped coin box/ashtray (was damped in the '04-'06 Elantras) and the plastic (vs. metal) interior door handles feel a bit cheap--until I remember the price point of the car and the fact that not even a $30k Azera or Santa Fe has metal door handles.
    If I wanted to nit-pick I could make a long list of faults.
    I'm fully aware of the class that Elantra is in and it's competitors Corolla, Mazda3, Sentra, Rabbit, Cobalt at similar price points have certain items that may be improved upon.

I like the Elantra and am a fan of several recent Hyundai products, yet I am not so thin skinned that I am offended when viewpoints not worshiping Hyundai products are made.

The only car in this class that I feel would be offending to own would be the Cobalt. Cobalt (or Crapbolt) is the topic of a different discussion....
    I think you are under the misconception that my post was somehow directed at you. It was not. It was my exercise in picking nits on the interior, to add to the list of issues you mentioned.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    edmunds now has their full test on the elantra ready to be, well read. Interesting points, i will say i was impressed with the hyundai's performance, but it seems that even edmunds has noticed hyundai's trend for identity crisis; corolla comparisons abound and a reference to the guage's being 'just like volkswagens' in coloration is also noted. As is the interior plastics that woud never find their way into a civic. ;)
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    Muchas gracias pat! Se aprecia mucho.
    So having blue interior lighting like a Volkswagen is a bad thing? Some people have carped about the green lighting on the old Elantras (other than the GT, which always had purplish-blue lighting). So Hyundai changed it. The reviewers seemed to like it.

If it looks like a current-gen Corolla, it's the best-looking Corolla I've ever seen. No Corolla has the upswept greenhouse in back, the windows behind the rear doors, and the wave-ish character line on the sides. No Corolla has the aggressive front-end styling of the Elantra. Someday I wish Hyundai would make a car with six wheels, a lightbar across the front end, and a huge fin on top of the car. It would look hideous, but no one would say, "It looks just like [name of Japanese car]."

BTW, the comment about some plastics not finding their way into a Civic is because the platics in the Elantra are far too tasteful to fit in the Civic's weird interior. ;)

While the review was overwhelmingly positive, the comment about tricky clutch engagement was puzzling, since no other review--professional or otherwise--I have read about the car have mentioned that. In fact other reviews have praised the smooth clutch and shifter. So I wonder if Edmunds got car with a glitch in the clutch?
  • it seems that even edmunds has noticed hyundai's trend for identity crisis

There is no such thing as a completely original set of ideas. Humans tend to favor recognizable influences. This happens in all areas - car design, arts, music, etc. Comparisons are made to Corolla because people recognize Toyota as a quality manufacturer. VW's gauge lighting has been copied by virtually every car maker to some extent over the last 6 years. The reason for this is simple - people like it.

...is also noted. As is the interior plastics that woud never find their way into a civic

I read the review twice, and must have missed that comment. Could you site that reference for me, or did it come from another review elsewhere? Here is what Edmunds did say about Elantra's interior.

the 2007 Hyundai Elantra has a cabin with a surprising combination of good design and good materials.

and

Hyundai hasn't got the image Honda has in the U.S., but once you take a test-drive, you'll realize that the Korean company is trying hard to deliver the same spirit of practicality and fun that you find in every Honda Civic.

In fact, the only time any form of the word "cheap" appears in a comparison with the Civic can be found here:

Consider that the '07 Elantra SE is:

$580 cheaper than a comparably equipped Civic LX ($16,960)

Just for the record, I have had 3 Civics, and all of them had cheap plastic interiors. (Although at least one of them had decent cupholders ;) )
    The comment on the plastics was a caption on one of the photos.
  • Thanks, I missed that. I was looking in the review itself. I almost never read the photo captions (too busy looking at the pictures)
  • http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2007_Hyundai_Elantra&ReviewID=1987

Quite positive overall, and in some ways contrary to what Car and Driver says in their comparions review. They praised Elantra's handling, and also liked how it drove at 80 mph on the highway, with 5-speed manual.
    Yes, that's very interesting that they didn't think the noise at 80 mph/3500 rpm was too high, nor the engine "buzzy" at that speed, contrary to a couple of other reviews. Sometimes I think people see/hear what they are looking/listening for.
  • nodulenodule Posts: 118
    Well, lets he honest here...why the heck is anyone
    drving 80mph anyway? Last time I checked, its illegal!
    Also, very unsafe and irresponsible, im my opinion.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    See the sign in Texas.

Speed Limit Sign
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    Plus there are now many rural interstates with 70 and 75MPH speed limits. Doing 80 in a 75 would be common for a passing manuever.

I'm in Chicagoland and while the posted highway limit is 55, traffic usually moves at either 70+ or 15-. Hitting 80 is not hard to do if one simply opts to go with the flow.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    I drive 80 all the time. I've even been known to do so *on* 80.

Illegal? Sorta. Usafe? Not really; it's just cruising along the freeway, at a speed comfortable for me and the car.

Irresponsible? Completely subjective.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This is not the "illegal/unsafe/irresponsible speeds" discussion, is it. ;)

Anyone read any more reviews or reports on the Elantra you'd care to share?
This discussion has been closed.