Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Transmission Questions

backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
Which transmission do you prefer in the Elantra--automatic or manual?

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Well, Backy, as you know I have had both. While the auto is a very smooth and adaptive unit, the 5spd makes much better use of the engine torque curve. Interesting to note is that the 5spd transaxle has a numerically higher final ratio. Which would partly explain the big difference in acceleration between the two.

Jim
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Some reviews on the 2007 Elantra have mentioned a lot of engine noise above about 72 mph with the 5-speed. One mentioned the automatic was geared much lower so it was quieter. I've owned both AT and MT on the previous gen Elantra and the AT car is definitely quieter overall, some of that because the engine turns slower (e.g. just over 2000 RPMs at 55).
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Automatic.

I would prefer a 5 spd automatic.
    That would be nice (hey, why not 6?) but from reviews it looks like the Elantra needs a 6-speed manual before it needs a 5-speed automatic.
    Over 95% of all passenger vehicles are sold with automatic.
    Majority of the 5% with manuals are "sport" type models.

6 speed manual and or automatic would both be nice, however, why develop a 6 speed for less than 5% of the market?
    Hyundai has a 6-speed that they use on the Tiburon--maybe it could be adapted for the Elantra.

Also it's 5% of the U.S. market, but manuals are much more popular in other countries where the Elantra is sold.
    Also it's 5% of the U.S. market, but manuals are much more popular in other countries where the Elantra is sold.

Very good point.

What I would really be exited about would be a DSG type transmission similar to the one being offered in VW's and Audis that combines the benefits of a manual and an automatic. And it would be applicable to all markets.
  • The AT option adds about $1,000 to the price, regardless of trim, so I may go with the MT Limited (I like the heated leather seats :) ).

However, I am concerned about road noise with the MT, so I'll need to drive both to find out. Has anyone already done so?
  • My wife and I are considering a 2007 Elantra when the lease is up on our Mazda Protege (5-speed) next year. She is the previous owner of a 2002 Elantra (5-speed). I've owned two prior vehicles, both of which had manual transmissions. She and I are both big fans of manuals and will always try to purchase a vehicle with one whenever possible.

I think it's the "fun" factor that sways us. We love the control that a manual transmission offers the driver. Fans of paddle-shifters and manumatics can say whatever they want about control... but I believe that if it doesn't have THREE pedals, it's not the same! I think manuals also promote a connection between the car and the driver, in that they require a driver to actually drive.

In the new Elantra, we would be looking at a Limited model with a manual. I have a feeling that particular combination may be difficult to find, however.
    Yep. Based on what I've seen so far on my dealer's lot, it may be hard to find any 2007 Elantras with MTs! :( They all had automatics. But it's early yet.
  • I don't understand why car and driver only tested the MT models. They should have tested the AT models.
    Because they see themselves as a magazine for "enthusiasts", who all drive sticks I guess. :surprise: Actually, a stick on a car with a small 4-banger is usually more fun, but today's automatics are much more efficient than they used to be.

If you want to see a comparo with ATs, I expect CR will do that sometime next year. They might even test both MTs and ATs, which would make for a nice comparison.
  • I test drove a Elanta 5 speed manual with GLS trim and a 4 speed automatic in SE trim. Both models are rated at 28 city and 36 highway. When doing 70 mph the manual was taching 3000 rpm and the automatic was only at 2500 rpm. I do agree that the Elantra need an extra gear in the manual. This will help with fuel economy on the highway and keep the engine noise down. Either way it is a big improvement over the last 2006 model. With the automatic problems I have had in the past I think I am going with the sportier 5 speed.
    Did you notice a significant difference in engine noise at 70 mph between the stick and automatic? How did you find the shifter action of the stick? Was it smooth?
  • Backy.
    I thought you have had trouble with your clutch in your Elantra.
    What happened to your auto transmission?
    Niels
    Nothing. Works great, thanks!
    Nothing. Works great, thanks!

The clutch works great?

Or,

The auto transmission works great?

:confuse:
    Niels' question was, "What happened to your auto transmission?"

My reply, in context to his question, should be clear.
    In context of the question-
    Backy.
    I thought you have had trouble with your clutch in your Elantra.

Your auto transmission has a clutch? :sick:
    Tip on reading these discussions: they read like a dialogue. When someone asks a question at the end of their post and the person they asked responds directly to it, it's a good bet that the response pertains to the question that was asked.

I am not an expert on the Elantra's automatic transmission, but in general auto trannies have clutches. Here's a primer on automatic transmissions that may help answer your question:

http://www.familycar.com/Transmission.htm