Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Transmission Questions

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    It appears that the new transmission wasn't installed properly. If so, that would be human error on the part of the dealership, not the fault of the car. Be sure the dealer's service manager (and maybe owner) are aware of what the fire fighters saw. Also see if you can get a copy of their report--it might mention the unclamped lines.
  • Just found this list in a search for info on my wife's '01 A/T Elantra which is experiencing the same issue. It did it once last year 2007 and just recently last week. Will have it reviewed by the dealer. Car has 85,000 on it.
  • Our problem turned out to be an electronic sensor in the tranny. Not covered by the warranty. Cost about $250.00 to replace. Not bad.....
  • Our problem turned out to be an electronic sensor in the tranny. Not covered by the warranty. Cost about $250.00 to replace. Not bad.....
  • My car has 130K miles on it and has started a shift flare as described by other posters here. It would rev up to 4-5000 rpm or sometimes even more while going 30-40 mph. There is no MIL iluminated right now. Was told by a mechanic that since there's no check engine light on, the sensors (cam/speed) should be OK. I have religiously changed the ATF every 30k miles and now this problem comes out. If I have to spend $450 for a fix, I'd rather donate/trade-in this car and buy a [non-permissible content removed] car w/c are more reliable.
  • My sons 2005 elantra transmission makes what I would call a lurch when it goes from 2nd to 3rd gear. 1st to 2nd is fine and 3rd to 4th is fine. Just on 2nd to 3rd makes kind of a small jerk foward, but not all the time, this just started. Is the tranny going to hell? also this is an automatic transmission.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Take it to a dealership, assuming it has less than the mileage warranty, they should take care of any problem at no cost.
  • It has 61000 miles on it. plus it was a rebuilder. we have had it for over 2 years and it has been a great car. What do you think is wrong with it?
  • tell me more, what kind of symptons did it show. and did they want to do a whole tranny rebuild? also why didnt the warr cover it? did the car have more than 60000 on it?
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    I think by "rebuilder" he means it has a salvage title. Most manufacturers will cancel the warranty on a car if it's declared salvage.
  • grump1grump1 Posts: 27
    Hello, I have a problem with my 1997 hyundai elantra station wagon . My automatic transmission don't have any forward gears. I used the car , and it was fine, I parked it over night , came out in the morning and i have no forward gears at all. When you put it in any forward gears it seems to get ready to go in then it kick out and you just hear a whinning noise ( like the pump running ).. The transmission fluid is full . I have park, neutral , reverse , But No Forward Gears Like 1st ,2nd, or Drive :sick: .

HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM - AND HOW CAN I FIX IT. PLEASE HELP

Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Grump
    grumpscustomz@hotmail.com
    I have no experience with Hyundais, but speaking as a former engineer who's driven a lot of very thoroughly used cars over the years, I can say that it doesn't sound good. Is the transmission fluid bright red, or does it look/smell burnt?
    Hello,
    The transmission fluid color , looks brown -- But it does not smell burnt' at all . I thought because of the way it happened , That it might be a sensor or electrical . The car worked good till I parked it overnight, ""I never saw a transmission go bad from setting over night,""

Thanks,
    Grump......... :confuse:
    It's odd for something to go from no symptoms to total failure overnight, especially a transmission. So the idea of a bad sensor or computer does make sense. On the other hand, brown fluid is also a bad sign.

And you had no symptoms before? No funny shifting or anything?
    bought another good tcu.. it made no differnce....no signs other then just the normal slip for a second between 1 & 2 till you let off the gas for a second right away when its cold since 2000 when i purchased it and took it to the dealer 3 times and they said their was no problems at all , that was 8 years ago...we just left it warm up for a bit before we left.
    grump
    Wait, I just thought about something my wife said , For the past month when she put the car in gear and drove it ... It would like make like a miss in the engine, Then the miss got worse in time...Could the be related to the transmission..? If you let it idiol in Park it idiols fine with just a small miss once and awhile Not like when its in gear ..

Grump
    Slippage when cold is often a symptom of a weak transmission pump, but it could also be caused by a clog in the valve body. I ran into the same issue with my Dodge pickup.

How long since the transmission fluid was changed?
    35,000... It's due for one ...It should have been done at 30,000. I just didn't think a filter change alone would fix it from other post I seen. Guess it can't hurt , just didn'tr want to waste my money. The last time it was done the guy put dextron spIII, Maybe that has something to do with it also. He told me that is good for anything. Is that true..?

Grump
    Like I said, I don't know anything much about Hyundais, but I know that some automatics are very picky about what kind of fluid you use. So a fluid change might be the answer.

But for some reason, maybe because it happened so suddenly, I suspect you will be spending real money for a transmission rebuild instead.
    Yup , That Would Be My Luck ...... But , I Sure Hope Not.

Thanks,
    Grump

:sick:
    I found this online. It does not look promising:

On the downside, the automatic transmission requires a special SPF-3 AT fluid sold only at Hyundai. When Dextron is used, the transmission will fail internally.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/sept2004/techtotech.htm

:sick:
    Ok, Thank You.
    Grump....... :(
  • My 1999 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 auto shifts through first and second and when it shifts again it seams to be down shifting and I lose speed drastically. This only happens when going uphill. downhill and flat runs great. I start out doing 60 and by the time I get to the top of the hill (about a quarter of a mile) I'm doing a steady 30 mph. This happens on any grade of hill from small to large. From a standstill I can hear it shift from first to second and then to third but it seams to downshift and revs very high and i steadily lose speed until I'm doing 30 mph when it should be third gear and a steady acceleration.

I have already checked a few things so here they are.
    Transmission fluid and filter change (no plastic or metal pieces or even metal dust in pan) just a small amount of sludge.
    Fuel filter, pump, pressure, and sending unit fine.
    Air filter and throttle body fine.
    PCV valve fine.
    Timing belt was loose but tightened and fine.
    Spark plugs, wires and coil packs fine.

I have a small exhaust leak but can't seem to find it and a small oil leak which I can't seam to find either.
    It has 140,000 miles on it but the MPG is great so I really love this car and really want to fix it.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    WELCOME TO THE HYUNDAI ELANTRA MOTOR -- NO POWER CLUB --... MINE NEVER HAD POWER UP HILLS EITHER IN THE LAST 8 YEARS THAT I HAVE OWNED IT... GET USE TO IT.

GOOD LUCK....!!!!!!!!!
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Did you use the Hyundai required transmission fluid? A generic trans fluid can cause transmission problems.
    the mechanic that changed the filter and fluid used -- dexron3 , he said it would work. :confuse:
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    This only happens when going uphill. downhill and flat runs great

I have a small exhaust leak but can't seem to find it

One thing you might check is to see if your exhaust system/catalytic converter is plugged or partially plugged. I remember seeing from my old days in the auto service field many a loose baffle in mufflers or collapsed manifold or exhaust pipes. Those would create excessive backpressure and loss of power on hills or full throttle. If possible, you could drop the pipe from the exhaust manifold and then test drive it under the problem conditions.Just be forewarned it will be loud and keep the windows open. ;)
    Unfortunately, your mechanic was wrong. If I were you, I'd show him some posts like this from the Web and demand he pay to repair/replace the transmission that he ruined with the Dexron III fluid.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t5918-automatic-transmission-fluid-type.htm
  • It was doing this before I changed the fluid and filter. That's specifically why I did it. I had this same problem with my 1989 Chevy Beretta GT and changed the fluid and the filter and it fixed it but unfortunately it didn't work on my Elantra.
  • I do have a small exhaust leak that I can't seem to locate but the rest of the system looks fine. Now I was thinking it might be a blocked Catalytic converter so a friend of mine told me to run it at night until its hot and look to see if the converter is red or glowing. He said if it has a restriction that it would overheat and the metal would start to glow when it gets hot but I havn't noticed any redness or glowing when I look at it in the dark. Now if I try what you said and disconnect it and drive it uphill what am i listening for and i disconnect it above the converter right? But wouldn't this cause the vehicle to run poorly due to the O2 sensors not getting the correct signals?