Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying used cars from out of state

Comments

• hello everyone, I'm trying to buy a car in California (I live in Pennsylvania)
    I want to have the car shipped because I can't take the time off of work to drive it back. My credit union is concerned about me getting the title because it is from a private seller with a lein on the car.

Are there any legal documents that I can have him sign so I am legally guaranteed the title after I pay him?

thanks in advance :)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    It should all be spelled out in the Bill of Sales that you both sign. Of course, I'm wondering what is so special about this car that you are shipping it from 2500 miles away?
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    Sure, your credit union simply needs to work this out with his lender.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,069
    Except that with E-bay, once you agree to a deal, it's like signing on the dotted line. I have never had a problem with E-bay and I have done several transactions, but never one as big as a vehicle. I also have never had to back out of a sale except once and that was a pretty amicable process so I haven't had any "bad exeriences" with me not willing to pay, or some one not willing to pay me.

If I remember the rules and regulations you agree to when you sign up with E-bay, an accepted bid is a promise to pay. However, I am not sure how "binding" it is. I don't know that you can be pursued in court for not honoring a winning bid, especially in a situation like this, where two parties have interpreted an "OTD" offer differently.

So, in short was the bid accepted? Yes, it sounds like it was. The buyer is obligated to pay the seller the 15K. He agreed to it and it is supposeidly (sp?) a legal binding agreement (Read the fine print in E-bay's rules and regulations to be sure). The hard part comes trying to come to an understanding of the OTD price. The seller apparently thought that OTD didn't inlcude tax, title licensem, which in AZ could be pretty exorbiant, depending on the original MSRP and the value of the car now. Title and registration is based off of that, taxes are based just off the sales price. If you do not live in AZ than you do not have to pay AZ sales tax, but you may have to pay sales tax when you register the car in your home state. If the car is being shipped directly to Missouri, than there is no need for a temp tag either. Just a signature on the title (preferably notorized, just in case. Probably not required, but I would do it just in case).

What is comes down to is being able to arbitrate between the two parties on what was understood when the "OTD" offer was given. E-bay can help with this, but I would try to work with the seller first and hope that he would be understanding.
    sativo - you should be able to provide a link by going to the page from your My Ebay page. Not knowing how much you know about E-bay forgive me if I say something that you already know.

From your My E-bay page, on your items won, or items list, or items awaiting payment list should be a link to the list of the vehicle. Clicking on it will take you to the original ad, although you will see that the auction is now closed. By copying and pasting the link if you so wish, those who want access to the ad, can veiw it.

Anyone can view these pages, but since the auction is closed they cannot be modified. Also you will not be releasing your E-bay ID or password, just the link to the ad.
    oops.. I misread. It's Missouri to AZ, so reverse the thinking on the tax and title issue. Check with the DMV. I don't remember paying sales tax on the vehicles I registered in AZ when we moved. But then again we already owned them and we were just transferring registrations from OR to AZ. You may not have to pay sales tax at all? You will have to pay registration though. That could be a bunch depending on what kind of car it is.

Althoug no matter what it still comes down to arbitrating between you and the seller and hopefully coming to an agreement. Good Luck :D
    okay - one more comment and then I'll shut up :D....

I just did a quick search and while I couldn't find a "legal" meaning of "OTD", every place I found the term "Out the Door" used, it was used in the context to mean everything, including tax title license. Basically Out the Door means, that's all I pay. I didn't find anywhere to say "OTD", plus tax title license.
    The dealership you are buying the car from should handle all the registration paperwork???
  • mannyljrmannyljr Posts: 20
    I'm currently shopping new and used cars. I've narrowed what I want to a Porsche Boxster S or a Corvette. I've been using e-bay and other national listing sites. After a couple of weeks of shopping, I've come to realize that California emission standards are tougher than any other state. Any new car (less than 7500 miles, regardless if previously titled) must meet these stringent standards before it can be registered. My question is, has any other Californian who reads this post gone through an out of state purchase? If a car is new, can my home town dealer install the California required equipment?
  • mannyljrmannyljr Posts: 20
    I've been shopping for a late model Boxster and after some phone calls and e-mails to dealers and Porsche mechanics in California and beyond, it's been guaranteed that every US spec Porsche is emission legal in every state. So for me in California, it keeps the market area large.
  • Hello Everyone
    I am shopping for a used car (nissan 350z) and i have come across this one used 350z from a private seller in a different state. I live in California but the car is in Ohio. I have contacted the seller and the seller has explained that the car will be shipped to me through das auto shippers. This is my first attempt at trying to buy a used car and was wondering what i needed to do to make this transaction complete without any hassels and avoiding any kind of scams.

1. What documents i need to receive?
    2. how do i pay?
    3. Are out of states purchases reliable/safe?

Thank you!
    This can be tricky. It's not so much that it's an out of state transaction as it's a blind deal that hinges on trust, particularly yours. The seller will assign the Ohio title to you but s/he's only going to do so after your bank check clears.

As the buyer, you should be the one selecting the shipping company unless that's part of the deal.

Frankly, if I was you, I'd spend the money to fly in to look at the vehicle and close the deal in person (bringing cash or a check drawn on the seller's bank).
  • Thanks for the advise. After thinking about it i have decided to wait to see if i can find a used car closer to me or just from a dealer. Thanks once again for your input.
  • We are looking at a pre-owned Acura. Many available in Northern CA seem to be from outside the state. NC, SC, NY... And these seem to be slightly cheaper than "local" vehicles. What is that about? Salt? Corrosion? Am I being paranoid..?
  • jg35jg35 Posts: 1
    I'm in Tennesse teaching for a semester and I want to buy a used car here. My residency is Brooklyn, NY but I have not owned a car since living in NY-- for 10 years -- to make matters more confusing my license is from TX! Does anyone know if I can register the car in NY and get new plates without actually taking the car there for another few months? - i'm not going to be in NY for another 4 months, I'm actually going to be traveling around the south.
    Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    I'm not completely familiar with NY law, so much of what I'll say is based on NJ. But for registering a car, you don't need to have the car present. However, you do have to do it in person. I'm not sure if you could get away with someone else doing it for you as long as you fill out all the paperwork. The big problem is inspection. You wouldn't be able to do it. So you'd be driving an uninspected car, risking tickets.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

If it's anything like Ohio, they'll want to physically inspect the out of state title and car before issuing a NY title. Best to call Albany and check for sure.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    I work at a dealership in Tn and just a couple months ago I went through nightmare of registering a car in NY for a customer.

No you cannot do it without a NY DL

You also have to have a NY State insurance card, and a boat load of other crap. It took me 2 months to get the damn thing registered there.

I would highly recomend that you title the car in TN. Taxes are less and it is easy as can be.

ny dmv
  • I live in Iowa and am thinking of buying a Tahoe from Cal. What affect if any would the Cal. emission standards have on the fuel economy of this car or any other for that matter? Is there quite a bit more clutter under the hood?
  • melb_1021melb_1021 Posts: 1
    I am buying a car in Michigan and I live in Utah. The dealership told me they had to pay part of the tax and will send it to Utah for me, but they can't pay the whole amount. I suggested that I would just pay all the taxes when I get back to Utah, but the dealer said I had to pay some through them. Is that correct?
This discussion has been closed.