Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Electrical/Lighting Issues

Comments

• subachansubachan Posts: 3
    I can't answer all your questions, but the turn signal blinker unit will be twice as fast when there's half the load - meaning one of your turn signal lamps must be out.

As for the cost of fixing stuff, I think you just need to shop around a little. Is there a local vendor review website like Yelp where you are?
  • mtnman73mtnman73 Posts: 1
    The power locks on our '06 Forester have been acting funny. The doors have been taking turns not working when we click the lock button on the remote or on the door. For a while it was the rear passenger door, then it was the front passenger door, and currently it is the driver side door. So basically when we click to lock the doors only 3 out of the 4 doors will actually lock and the problem door has changed twice now while the previously unworking power door locks have regained function. Anyone seen this before? Hope my post made sense.
  • jhapperjhapper Posts: 3
    My 2006 Forester just developed the following problem. My drivers door cannot be remotely locked or unlocked. My tail gate door cannot remotely be unlocked - it will lock remotely. My passenger doors can all be remotely locked and unlocked.
    I took the car into Wolffe's in Langley yesterday and they told me that I need to replace both drivers door and tailgate locking mechanism modules.
    Following on from my message on the door locking problem.
    Yesterday, just after 1:00pm the car finder horn sounded off. I first thought that my wife had maybe inadvertantly squeezed her remote, but no, both keys were hanging on their respective hooks. I picked up my key and went outside - by this time the horn had stopped sounding off. I tried using my remote and found that, now my driver's side lock could be unlocked and locked with the remote. The tailgate remained in it's failed to default position of locked.
    I will update this forum if anything else changes.
    Following on from my previous message, this is what happened next:-
    All day Saturday the drivers door could be remotely locked and unlocked.
    On Sunday it reverted back to being unresponsive to both locking and unlocking with the remote key.
    This continued until yesterday. As background, after I returned from the service at Wolffe's my driver side window would not fully open.
    Anyway, yesterday I operated the driver side window and it almost stopped where it did after the service, but there was a banging noise from inside the door and the window kept going down to it's fully open position again.
    When I got home, guess what?. The drivers side door locked and unlocked with the remote once again.
    Can anyone figure this out?
    The tail gate still will not unlock with the remote.
  • Hi - did you replace those and have it solve the problem? I'm having a similar problem and also, when the battery goes dead if the car sits for more than 3 days and doesn't get started.
  • About a year ago the clock on my 2000 Forester stopped working. It is very annoying to have to look down at the radio to get the time. I recently read on the net that there have been problems with the clocks regarding poor soldering joints. Since I have some knowledge of soldering I would like to check the solder joints and see if I can fix it since the dealer wants $90 to replace the clock. Can anyone tell me how to remove the clock to get a look at it? Thanks for your help.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I had the same problem. I found photos and instructions that Peaty created on Scoobymods. Search and you should be able to find them.

Takes just a couple of minutes to do. Most of the time is waiting for the soldering iron to warm up!
  • i am stumped. on a 2001 forester, when you turn the light switch on, you hear the shift interlock click and you can move it from the park position. you can't turn off the headlights and when you turn on tthe ignition, the taillights are on including the third brake light. has anyone had this happen to them?
    Must be a short.

I had chipmunks chew up my wiring harness on my minivan and I observed some very strange symptoms - it said my knock sensors were failing! :confuse:

Check out the wiring, could be a short there somewhere.
  • thanks i will check that out. do you think it could be the multi-functional switch for the headlights, because when you turn the switch to the parklights position, this disengages the shiftlock. also, when you turn on the lights, the taillights and third brake light all are on. when you step on the brakes, the lights all get brighter as if functioning well except for when you release the brakes the third brake light stays on along with the taillights.
    I don't think so....the behavior you describe is too bizarre.
  • well there must be a short to cause the multi-functional switch to trigger the shiftlock release. there must be a common thread between them. anyone with any ideal please let me know. much appreciated.
  • 2003 forester drivers side dim headlight, not the bulb , any ideas why?
  • not sure, but check to see if there are separate relays for the headlights. if so the relay could be going bad. just a guess, it happens on other vehicles.
  • I'm not sure about the 2003 models but many of the earlier subarus have a seperate fuse for the left and right headlight. If the fuse for the driver side headlamp is blown then the lamp on that side would not go out completely but would be very dim.

Hope this helps.
  • So, my forester and I got out for a nice drive in snow. Tons of fun! However, backing out of a friend's, we stop to let a car go by, and we get stuck--their drive is on a bit of a hill, and my front wheels are on her drive, and the back ones on the street--and underneath the car, a ton of snow. We get stuck. I turn the car off, shovel out a bit, get back in and drive home, however--now my ABS light is on. Is this serious? More importantly, is this expensive?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    My guess would be that you got some of the ABS sensors wet while sitting on the snow. Give it a few days. If it doesn't disappear on it's own, then have it checked out, you may have torn one of the abs sensor wires while stuck in the snow.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • 2001 has fuse under hood, on drivers side.
    My freind owns it and she has a dim headlight on pass. side.
    We changed fuse and new fuse blew as soon lights were turned on.
    Still toubleshooting that's why I am here.
  • I have a 2004 Subaru Forester and the cigarette lighter and heated seats quit working simultaneously. The problem was not fixed when I changed the fuses -- anyone have any idea? Are they connected issues?
  • mpkcmpkc Posts: 2
    I am a first time poster. My car only has 40K on it. A week ago the AT Oil Temp light started flashing when I started the car. This has never happened before. I drove to several stores and when I started the car after each stop the light did not flash. I did not use the car for about 8 days & now the car will not start. The electrical system does not work - there is no keyless entry, etc, I work from home and often do not drive it for 1-2 weeks. I replaced the original battery mid 2007 when it died. I know the battery is dead but what could have caused it and what is my best course of action. Thanks in advance.
    Probably the alternator, which charges the battery. Have that tested.
  • I have the following issues

Couple of years ago, the clock on my 2002 forester L went out. I ignored it. Then my gearshift (automatic transmission) light went out and I ignored it. Then my cruise light went out and I ignored it then my dashboard lighting on the speed gauge went out and now my head lights are having an issue. When I turn them on, they are dim. When I pop the hood and tap the driver side headlight, the driver side is at at full power but my passenger light goes out and when I put my high beam on, my driver side light comes back to dim. Any ideas of what might be wrong and how to fix it will be greatly appreciated. The dealer is asking $100 just for diagnosing the issue.

A while ago I saw a discussion about a "single point ground" modification for Subies. It may be worth investigating.
  • xyoojaxyooja Posts: 1
    I wonder if this is a larger issue on these 2006 Forester models. My wife owns one and just this past 6-9 months, we've experienced the same issue described here. First, it was the front passenger door lock that wouldn't operate with the remote or the lock feature/control in the car. This was fine since my wife could always get in from the driver's side and unlock for any passengers. A few months later, this same problem happened to the driver's side door. The kids now had to manually unlock the front doors from the back for us. Just this past week, the passenger side, back door lock stopped working too. We have one working door lock now!

We've taken the car in to the dealership when the two front door locks stopped working. Basically, the little motors that operate the locks need to be replaced (at about $600 for the two doors!). It's been a great car for the last 60K miles but this sort of electrical failure is just ridiculous. We've owned older cars (two Acuras and two Toyotas) with a lot more miles and have never experienced this kind of problem. I forgot to mention that we've had issues with the lock on the trunk/hatch door too but that was covered under warranty.

Kind of disappointed. I hope the Legacy GT I just purchased will be better constructed.
  • I drove it to the corner store and when coming out 20 minutes later, the car just would not start. All lights are fine, I still tried jumping it that did not help. There was no engine-trying-to-start sound when the key was turned. Searched this forum and found a post of "Battery fine but won't start" last year that looked mighty similar, I wounder how it went. Your advices are greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like every symptom of a bad starter.
  • Hey. I have been bringing my car into the dealer for some time now - it is the turbo which I guess drives different than regular. Sometimes if you turn the corner, it will increase power in a jerky kind of way.

Sometimes, if I am driving, it feels like the power of the engine wanes and then sometimes even starts to feel like it is going to stop but doesn't and then will jerkingly kick back in. They have looked at it about 10 times now - this has been happening for some time.

Then today, I was driving and it started to do that jerky in and out feeling again - almost like you hit the gas hard fast and then dropped foot off and then back on - weird. So, anyway, today I start hearing the volume of a cd I had in go up and then back down. I was like, hmm cd must be messed up. But then it did it again and I looked at the stereo and sure enough it was not on the cd xxx track display - instead it said VOLUME 7 then went down to VOLUME 6 then 7 and 8 I think - as if someone was actually holding the knob changing the volume back and forth.

I started to think the in and out engine power feeling that comes and goes was linked to bad gas and figured it was he** gas because it seems to happen worse whenever I go to that gas station - I get premium everywhere as recommended for turbo. The shop did an air filter change a few months back and it seemed to solve the problem for a while - they did something else too - with thee pressure or something. So, the in and out like I am gonna die to ok I am back again feeling just started coming back but now with the radio, I am concerned.

If I were to have hit wires under the driver side, would that effect the radio - could it? Also, the light where the shift column is (for P D N R) went out a few months ago and they replaced the bulb. But, they had not put the center console piece back on totally right. Could they have done something replacing that bulb? Or could my foot or whatever have messed up a wire under driver side? If so, is that dangerous?

Also, anyone have problems with 06 foresters driver window getting scratched when you put it up and down? For some time we hear scraping a little when we put window up and down but of course dealer never hears anything. So, recently we noticed after washing it, it actually has scratches going up and down the glass.
    Lovely. I said, hey we brought this to your dealership and asked about this 3 or 4 times and now that we have had it over 3 years and the warranty is up, we have to be responsible because that isn't right - he said yes but they would see what Subaru said. You've got to be kidding me - you complain and say something is wrong while UNDER warranty and they look into it say ehh it's nothing then it causes damage right after warranty is up and I might have to pay?

Ugghhh what is wrong with my car? :cry:

:) thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,507
    I might be completely on the wrong track here, but have you checked the grounding connections on the car? Perhaps it is having problems with sufficient electrical flow.
  • I was helping my son-in-law get his forester running after going through some water which had stalled out his car. We got the car running but the rpms won't go above 1500. It idles around 800 but won't go above 1500. I've never worked on a Subaru before so I don't know how to read the codes etc. HELP