Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Electrical/Lighting Issues

1235»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    If it suffered from hydrolock, who knows what sort of damage was done to the engine internals.

A group of us used to go to the Pine Barrens for some off road fun, and a V6 Trooper hydrolocked, and it bent a rod. Stopped it dead in its tracks.

The odd thing is that it runs at all.

Does it throw a check-engine light? If so a good OBDII scanner can read the codes.
  • I have a 99 forester, that I replaced the head gasket on. The car will start and run fine beside the O2 sensor and Speed sensor that I need to replace. Now when I put the key in the on position The fuel pump relay, ac relay, fan relays, and pressure switching solenoid kick on and off like every second or two. The CEL starts to flash immediatly and constantly. When I drive the car it does the samething. All these circuits are on the E/G ign Air bag fuse. When I check the ECM voltages the pins for Injectors, sensors, power supply ,and Igition system grounds all have .5 volts or less. The line end check 2 pin should have 5 volts and it's 0. I have no clue what that is. So before I go nuts checking and finding that ground does anyone have some pointers.

Thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    How long before this problem developed did you replace the head gasket? If it was immediately or very soon thereafter, I would suspect a loose or improper connection.
  • hthshths Posts: 1
    i have a 10 month old Forester. It's just dead after parking for a week. no power at all. even keyless control doesn't work. I tried to jump it. But, it didn't work. I cannot even the dashboard light come on. Now, it was towed to the dealer. I was told they were able to jumpstart the car without any problem. They didn't get back to me why there is no power in the first place yet. But, i would like to ask whether this happens to anybody else. And, what might be the problem? I am going on a 1500miles trip next week. Afraid it will be dead on me during the trip.

thanks...
    Must be either a bad battery, or a bad alternator not charging it.

Have them do a load test on the battery after a long drive to the dealer (next time it starts, obviously). By then the alternator should have charged it up.
  • We have a 2006 Forester that has begun to show a problem with the turn signals. The right is ok, but when I step on the brake with the left signal on, the dash flasher stops (stays on weakly) and the signal bulbs stay on, both front and back. With the foot off the brake, the left signal functions properly. Since all bulbs come on at some point, it can't be a bulb or fuse problem. Not sure what else to check.
    Well, it *could* be a bulb if one filament broke and is touching the other, but it could also be a rubbed wire. I would go for the easy approach first and just put new bulbs in all around (they're cheap, it is easy, and the car was been on the road long enough that it one or more is likely to burn out soon anyway).
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,585
    G'day

A logical starting point is the harness for trailer lights, if fitted. YOu may be getting some sort of weak connections across pins between the left turn indicator and brake

Cheers

Graham
  • henryalberthenryalbert Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Looking for some info on which is the fuse for the odometer/tripometer, speedometer, & tachometer? The owner's manuel I have does not address this question. The owner's manuel does say that the tripometer will lose it's reading if the battery of fuse is lifted.

Thanks for any help,

hyat
  • Hey guys. I have a 2010 forester and and I loved it so much. my question is that I want to replace the headlights for xenon ones (HID) to look more sporty like the BMW headlights. Has anyone any experience about that?
    I think (don't quote me) that Foresters in Canada offer HIDs, so maybe call a dealer there.
  • 2c2no2c2no Posts: 1
    Hi Kane1.

Im seeking an answer to the same problem for a 2001 Forester. Its not the parking light switch though, unless there is something wrong with the switch itself.

For almost a week now, the exterior lights will not turn off when the car is off. I've had to disconnect the negative battery cable when I park the car for the night to get the lights to go out. Any ideas?
    Just the running lights and not the headlights? It most likely is the parking switch on top of the steering column. If that is not making a difference, perhaps it has gone bad by some unfortunate fluke? Better that than a worn wire in some inaccessible body panel some where, but still obnoxious nonetheless.
1235»