Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Brake Questions

124»

Comments

• Thanks Mike...... do you happen to know the bleeding procedures?..... I was told that there is a sequence that has to be followed when bleeding the subarus similar to rotating tires, meaning that you can't just pick a side and bleed.....
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You want to start with the brake furthest from the master cylinder and work your way closer which usually means right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

The proper proceedure uses 2 or 3 people.
    Crack the bleeder then re-tighten.
    Have the person in the car pump the brakes tight, person cracking brake line should say "Open".
    Crack the bleeder while they apply pressure til the pedal hits floor, then keep pressure and say "floor".
    Person at the wheel then closes the bleeder and says "Closed".
    The pumper in the drivers seat then pumps them up again and says "Hard"

Rinse and repeat this. You'll probably need to do it about 20x on each rear and 10x on the fronts.

The 3rd person can keep checking the master cylinder, or else it will run dry.

This will flush your fluid and drastically improve braking and extend the life of your brake system. It should be done every other year.

-mike
  • phil2000phil2000 New JerseyPosts: 195
    I need help with a different problem. Two weeks ago the pulley went and cause the timing belt to jump. Repair ran $775.00 on my 2000 Forester. But the engine misses now and the dealer (who I am not happy with) said I have valve damage but did not say which ones. I wonder did he put the belt on correctly. The engine had 254,000 on it. Are the CD versions of the manuals off of eBay a good buy? Thanks :(
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The order for our Subies is:

1) right front

2) left rear

3) left front

4) right rear
    Odd, I've done Right Rear->Left Rear->Front Right->Front Left for 10+ years w/o issue on 100s of cars....

-mike
  • nocnoc Posts: 1
    there was a ticking sound coming from the back end and my dealer told me I needed all new brake pads and rotors? Car only has 53K mile thought that was really soon - had the car since new and have done 15K, 30K and 50K service
    For pads that's normal, but it's a bit early for rotors. You may want to get a 2nd opinion on those.
    Pads are way over due. You may have gone too far and ruined the rotors.

Most subies take rotors at 60-80k miles.

-mike
  • ziggy15ziggy15 Posts: 2
    The brakes on my two Foresters screech. One has 22K miles and the other 28K. I have taken them to Subaru dealers who tell me the discs are glazed or there is dust or stones in them. I took them to a brake repair chain, who told me there was a manufacturing defect. I have not received any recalls from Subaru, and called the 800 number. They said there were no recalls. Can someone tell me what the problem is? I had several earlier Foresters that did not have this problem. :confuse:
    If pads are glazed they can be scuffed, i.e. they scratch the surface.

New pads are $20 or so, so I'd just replace them, myself. Ever done brakes?

Even if you have to pay your mechanic, the pads are several years old and I would go ahead and flush the brake fluid while you're at it.

The 2009s are out so yours are 4-5 years old now, I'd just replace the pads.
  • ziggy15ziggy15 Posts: 2
    The problem of screeching brakes occured almost right away with the cars, maybe after 10,000 miles. I took it to the brake chain place, and they replaced the pads, cleaned and lubricated the other components.They also took care of the glaze. However, the screeching continued. they told me there was a manufacturing defect and that replacing the pads won't take care of the problem.
    There has been no reported "defects" in the brakes. I'd find a different brake place and get Pads, Rotors and a Flush of the brakes before doing anything.

-mike
  • sethjwsethjw Posts: 1
    I have a 05' forester XT. 26K miles. Recent brake inpection revealed brakes at 15 to 20 percent left.
    I have some experience with brakes but all on older vehicles.
    Will I need any special drives or tools to change the pads on this car?
    14mm wrench and a C-Clamp and about 1-2hrs of free time and you can swap the pads easily.

-mike
  • My inspection was just about overdue so I took my 2006 Forester to Monro. They called me at work at said I needed new rear breaks (about 43,000 miles). I felt a little in a bind because I wanted to use subaru parts, but the guy convinced me the replacement parts they had were compatible. The cost was ~$190 for rear brakes.I know the manual specifies subaru breaks. Should I be concerned that I did not get subaru breaks?
    Just use a brand you trust. The Magnussen-Moss Warranty act says that as long as the parts meet the OE specifications there is no effect on the warranty for the caliper and braking system.
    Never use Subaru parts for brake replacements. There are lots of better or cheaper parts out there.

I'm sure the ones that monroe used will be acceptable, especially for the rears.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • phil2000phil2000 New JerseyPosts: 195
    I buy my pads from Pep Boys and they last me a couple of years and 30K + miles.
  • elkmik1elkmik1 Posts: 2
    I just put new brake pads on the rear of my 07 Forester. I did not do anything to the rotors. When the brakes have warmed up they make a low squealing noise when the brakes are initially applied or when "feathered" Is this part of the normal break in? If not does anybody have an idea of what I may have done wrong?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,458
    did you add an anti-squeal compound to the backs of the pads where they contact the pistons? If not, that may be what's causing your noise.
  • elkmik1elkmik1 Posts: 2
    No I did not. i will go get some. Thanks for your help
124»