Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna AWD Problems/Questions

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm not sure, but I imagine the system is sealed. You'll probably have to change the gear oil in the rear differential, though.

On my Subaru it was fairly simple, remove two bolts, drain, replace one bolt, fill, replace the 2nd bolt. The "fill" part is a little tougher than it seems because if you are under the van you have to pump oil up into it, but I got a $7 hand pump that did the job.

Synthetic gear oil was $4 for the one quart required, so we're talking about an investment of a whopping $11. ;)

Gear oil stinks to the high heavens, so take a shower before you come in contact with your significant other. :D
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    No "transfer" case in the traditional sense, but a PTO, Power Take Off, case. And yes, it is separately lubed, with fairly heavyweight gear oil, but I doubt if it needs to be serviced EVER. At ~65,000 miles the gear oil in my 2001 AWD RX300 PTO case (includes VC, Viscous Clutch) remained clear and non-odorous. Yes, I said CLEAR.

Silicon gear oil..??

And gear oil doesn't STINK unless it has been subjected to extreme HEAT, which is not the normal case.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Oh, man. You should have seen the stuff that I drained out of my Miata. Just 26k miles, too. To be fair, it was 8 years old. It has a viscous limited-slip rear diff, FWIW.

It looked like melted chocolate, too, coming out.
2»
This discussion has been closed.