Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Subaru Forester Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• My wife and I bought a 2006 Forester a couple of months ago. I appreciated the $2000 cash back. I looked around quite a bit: items of interest included the RAV4 (new one is very ugly and I disliked the dashboard) and 2006 CR-V (which I liked a lot). Went in to buy a CRV a couple of times, but salesman friend was busy each time. Somehow or other, became interested in the Forester. We are very pleased with it. It is compact, yet rides very well. It runs smoothly (the least expensive model with an automatic) and has adequate pep for us (senior citizens). We find it quite comfortable, and I like the front seat legroom. We headed out on the road at 550 miles on the odometer. The tank was full. We got 31+ mpg on this first highway tank. The next gave us just over 32 mpg. We were quite surprised--and feel that that is excellent mileage. I checked a tank the other day in which we did more highway than intown (urban) driving and averaged up toward 30. Everything works smoothly and the car is a genuine pleasure to drive. I wish I had the money to buy another one. I got a Chase Subaru credit card and already have my first $100 certificate. I suspect that we will be able to pay for all of the service through these certificates. I have owned cars from many manufacturers. I like this one as well as any that I've had. By the time I've had it awhile, I wouldn't be surprised to like it better than any. I'm glad that we bought it. Ken
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    I wasn't intending to do it but now have a new 07 white X with the Premium Package(manual transmission)in the driveway. I loved my 04 in the dark green and am getting used to the white.

I received the gauranteed trade in thing from Subaru (traded in my 04 Forester X) and they basically made me a deal I couldn't refuse almost coming out even on my 04. IT really is a deal...particularly if you are at the max miles to be eligible as I was.

I am definitely noticing subtle differences between the two. The suspension and handling are different. IT looks like a subtle retuning. The rear end is not quite as tight as the 04 and the steering is not quite the same... I noted this on another board, but with the new looks (06) and the items I am noticing, it appears they were appealing to "soccer moms"

I am not saying the difference is good or bad...just different. And I doubt most people would even notice. I will have to say that all the goodies in the premium package are nice. I love that sunroof. And I like all the safety items that plain X doesn't have e.g. four wheel disc, limited slip rear differential and I guess they all have the electronic force distribution brakes.

Braking is improved as it the take off. The fly by wire throttle and perhaps the extra 8 horsepower over my old 04 must be behind that.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats to both of you, I'm a bit envious. Mine's over 9 years old and I just crossed 90k miles the other night...

-juice
  • Does anyone know whether stability control has been added as an option to the Forester recently. Insurance Institute gave top ratings for a Forester so equipped, but it is not listed as an available option on the Edmunds site.
    I purchased a 2006 because of top safety ratings -- strong passenger cage, side airbags -- and would have added stability control had it been available.
    Would also like to see Subaru upgrade to automatic 5-speed transmission.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    Subaru's term for it is VDC, which for the Forester is only available in the XT Sport, which is an automatic with VTD as well. :)
    5 speed and SportShift while we're asking for it.

-juice
  • I just saw a new Forester on the road with this color... :surprise:

...I did not see this color selection offered on any other sites for new Subies....Are my eyes going bad or are they just starting to supply this color for the new Forester?

...It's the same light green color that is offered on the Impreza wagon...

solo....
    Haven't seen it yet, maybe it's new for '07?

-juice
    He's talking about Evergreen Metallic/Urban Grey Metallic combo. ;)
  • I am about to order a stick-shift Forester XT 2.5 with what Subaru calls the "Sports Package", which, my dealer tells me, is the only way to get VDC on a Forester. He also tells me it is definitely available with stick-shift, not just in an automatic.

The dealer just got their first automatic XT Sport on the lot, so I took a look. The package consists of a) VDC, b) cloth seats (4-way manual adjust), and c) a redesigned grille. With this, the total price actually drops by almost $1000, due principally to elimination of leather/electric seats. Why Subaru would configure a VDC-enabled XT only in this manner isn't at all clear to me.

More after I take delivery...
  • Yes, Evergreen Metallic is available on the '07 Forester L.L.Bean edition "only"....
    It's a beautiful color with the Urban grey combo...and beige interior...
  • My 2006 Forester LLBean is an Evergreen Metallic. Very nice color and does not show the dirt.
    I seem to recall that VDC was with the automatic only. Make sure you find out before you order it, if that's a deal breaker.

-juice
  • I bought my red 07 xt at the end of October and am crazy about the car. I've never had a 4 wheel drive car and had to get used to the feel of the traction difference. The wagon is a freakin' missile. I had two of my fireman buddies with me (while on duty...) stepped on it and the front end came up! (not off the ground but it has been a long time since I had driven a car that acted like that) The power-to-weight ratio must be the best possible scenerio because it seems to compliment itself... I am glad I bought it and am becoming a bonified subie. I love the feel of the Boxer design. :P
    Welcome to the family! :)
  • It's definitely stick-shift and will be delivered next week. Can't wait! :)
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    That is what I read also. Automatic with VDC. It would only make sense to include stability control with both transmissions. I read also that the Sport has been lowered a tad. And is also offered with fewer color choices. Right?
    I don't know if this model will be available in Canada. Anyone?
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    I thought the XT sport irrespective of tranny came with them??? Or are they only autos...
  • Thanks Terry, hey, would anyone out there be familiar with the installation process of the turbo boost gauge for the xt? I bought the gauge, the instructions look straightforward but have not attempted the install yet. Thanks for any info.
  • While my Forester is an '03, I had to post my experience driving home yesterday. I have an automatic (couldn't get the leather/moonroof et. al. and manual in '03), the highway was packed with deep snow over ice, loads of traffic creeping very slowly, cars slipping and sliding everywhere...my Forester was AWESOME. :) I dropped it into lower gears several times to motor up an incline or plow around a stuck car/truck...it handled amazingly. I can't speak highly enough about its handling and maneuverability in such challenging conditions. I'm convinced the AWD made the difference. I take it into the mountains a ton, but have never had to navigate through road conditions like yesterday. I took my time shopping and researching before I bought my Forester. I made the right choice!
This discussion has been closed.