Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Subaru Forester Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• Juice
    Thanks for the feeedback on the Forester. I'm not sure if I want to go with the manual or auto tranny yet. Since my wife is totally loathe to driving a stick I may opt for the auto. How do you fare with the stick in the DC traffic? II commute from Winchester to Chantilly straight down RT 7 to 28. Once a week I go to Arlington. Is the Subie seat comfortable for long periods? I feel that I need a vehicle more substantial than my Scion XB. Pot holes and mounded snow have beaten up the Box in the past, but I really do like the MPG.
    Anyway thanks for your input and assistance with the Forester.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Auto is better for city traffic. My left knee can get sore on a really bad commute, gotta admit.

Plus, if the wife ain't happy, noone's happy, right? ;)

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    I second the auto. As much as I loath autos I went with one for my 05. Much nicer for commuting. Portland traffic isn't far behind DC traffic. I've still got my Miata and truck for rowing my own gears.
    A Miata and a Forester make a nice fleet, don't they?

I have the same thing. :shades:

-juice
    I hadn't thought about that. I had a Outback/Miata combo before and I'm not planning for a bigger car like you, since my girls are older and I don't have a nanny. I could use a housekeeper though. Trying to keep up with teenage girls is a bit of a challenge.
    We could all use a little help! :shades:

We have a property on the beach, and my kids are reaching the age where they'd like to bring a friend along. I'm just planning ahead and getting a vehicle that can accomodate that.

The last 2 vehicles I've owned, I kept one for 7 years, the other for 9 years and counting. So I have to think WAY ahead.

-juice
  • I saw that Subaru has increased it's customer cash for the 07 Forester's. Since I've been researching the Forester for several weeks I have question on the fog lights. Does anyone use them extensively? How would you rate them? I'm asking because the 07 Forester X Sport has $2000 customer cash back, but the new bumper style is minus the fog lights.

I'm trying to decide if I really need the fog lights in lieu of the extra $1000 Subaru is offering. How would you rate the new Sport X front end?
    Thanks to all.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    OEM ones are useless. For well under $1000 you can get some very high quality Hellas for your Forester!

-mike
    Or just buy them as accessories. They're not that expensive at all. I'm sure your dealer could install them for a couple hundred.

-juice
  • Thanks gang. I'll look into the Sport X this weekend, although I could really learn to appreciate the moon roof and heated seats with the Premium package.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    I use the OEM fogs on my '03 XS all the time. They work excellent for country roads, which are my mainstay.

Regards,

John
    Juice, I'm not sure you can mount the fogs in the Sport bumper, it's a bit different from what I saw.

Any aftermarket fogs will be better than the OEMs IMO.

-mike
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    Ahhh, Banker Danny has discovered why there are many nicknames for the OEM tires. The most common being Geosquealers or Geosliders depending upon how one drives I suppose. The other names would not pass the censors. And they are supposedly made for Foresters specifically.

I personally haven't had that many problems but many hate them to the point of taking them off as fast as they can. But virtually all who get a new set of tires will comment upon the improvements after doing so.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    Yes you can get some decent tires with certain cars - mainly performance and luxury cars. But the mainstream auto is going to have the cheapest tires they can get away with, without appearing too cheap.

Why? Well if you can get tire A for $5 less than a decent tire x 4 tires/vehicle x 100,000 vehicles/year. The same goes for those $2 (cost) floormats they put in most cars.

I also agree with what was said about the OEM foglights. They're little more than decoration.
    I actually prefer the cheapest tires they can put on, because invariably if they chose a more costly "performance" tire, they would choose a crappy one and I'd have paid for these "performance" tires when if they left the crappy stockers I can just swap em out.

I believe in Europe you can actually choose the tires when you order your car.

-mike
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    Geosquealers are NOT cheap. Just check out tire rack. They cost more than clearly superior tires. But I agree with the person above who liked the fog lamps. They are great on back roads extending your view quite a bit right to left and with critters, this can be of help by both causing them to hesitate and giving you that split second of reaction time. Even on highways I like seeing further left and right so I at least see the deer before it goes thru my windshield. I do imagine that retrofitted more powerful ones would improve on that and giving critters pause.

I, at first, preferred the bigger foglamps like I had on my 04 (they look better) but the new smaller ones on the 06's forward are actually more powerful...noticably so. It surprised me a little.
    What do you suggest for decent all seaon tires, as replacements for the original OEM's. Tires that won't break the piggy bank, but can handle a corner or two.
    Falken Ziex 512s. Cheap and more than decent, if not the longest lasting tires.

VulcanTires.com has them cheaper than Discount Tire Direct. Tire Rack does not carry Falkens.

-juice
    Sumitommo HTR+ are my favorite all-season tire, hands down.

-mike
  • How well does a forward facing carseat fit in the back? I'm trading up from a VW Jetta with a tiny back seat and I'm looking for something with a bit more room. Currently my 18 month old can rest her feet on the top of the seat in front of her.

The specs say there is 33 inches of legroom which is even smaller than a Honda Civic?! But I really like the Forester. Any thoughts?
  • smittynycsmittynyc Posts: 291
    You'll have no problems with a forward-facing car seat in a Forester. You'll even be able to squeeze in two belted adults no matter the configuration -- middle or either of the outboard seats.

Not to get preachy, but I'd put your kid facing rearward until she's too big to fit in a convertible seat (head over the top of the shell or heavier than the weight limit). It gives a child vastly superior head, neck, and spinal protection in a frontal or side-impact crash (which are approximately 96% of all crashes). My son sat facing rearward until he was almost three.

--former 2004 Forester owner
  • smittynycsmittynyc Posts: 291
    And I'll put in my usual plug for the Yokohama Avid H4. Why Subaru hasn't made this the OEM tire for the Forester is beyond comprehension (costs considerably less than the Geos).
    Retail may be cheaper but not necessarily wholesale.

-mike
    Leg room may improve slightly, but to be honest it's not a lot better than the Jetta.

It does feel roomier because of the large greenhouse, and get the moonroof and it serves the kids as well. But you'll have to train them not to kick the seat.
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    i like the BFG traction TA's that i have on my wifes 02 forester. I have avid H4's on my civic but they don't do so good in the snow. great in the dry and wet though.

Regards,
    Kyle
  • We've got a new Forester Sports XT Automatic, and I've been doing quite a bit of driving. We also still have our '99 Forester, which has 110K miles on it. I knew I was going to get another Forester, but having VDC only on the automatic Sports XT made it my obvious choice. I certainly don't miss the leather seats in the other XT's. I also don't need fog lights out here in northern California, as I do mainly freeway driving, with some Summer/Fall mountain excursions. They'd be nice, but I don't know if they can be installed in the front grill. There's certainly real estate there for them.

The high-end audio system is great, esp. for MP3 playing, but if I raise the volume to REAL loud, the door speakers vibrate too damn much. We also have an '05 Volvo S40 T5, and that speaker problem doesn't happen in it. Does that indicate that Subs are "tinny" compared to Volvo's? I don't know.

As I discovered one tire to be low on air today, due to a nail, I've done some reading on tires. I'm not convinced that the OEM Yokohama 17" Geolandar G900's are a bad tire, particularly for someone like me, who does a lot of driving in a temperate climate. In an effort to improve mileage, I am increasing the air pressure in all 4 tires. Subaru had them at 35-37 psi. Today I moved them up to 40 psi, still below the stated max of 44 psi.
    I don't have a sub, but my speakers have never buzzed. I had the base sound system, and later upgraded to a 6CD changer out of a WRX along with the premium sound speakers.

They were very easy to remove and replace. See if the speakers are loose in the doors.

-juice
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    What mileage are you obtaining and for what driving conditions?
  • Hi
    Just read all you messages and found the answers to a couple of questions
    But I still have a couple unanswered
    Like a couple of people here I drive from Winchester to Chantilly for work 76 miles round trip
    Also travel over 4 miles of dirt roads around 3:30 AM when the deer are on the move
    I am torn between the Forester Sport 2.5X and the Premium 2.5.

I am worried about the moon roof leaking when there is a heavy rain or if the seal will let dust in the car
    Anybody having any problem with the moon roof?
    How about the ride between the two cars? I am tall about 6ft and "large boned"
    Planned to visit the dealer on Saturday but the 6" of ice and snow might keep me home
    I would appreciate any words of wisdom :)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Check out Subaru Forester MPG-Real World Numbers.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.