Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Subaru Forester

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
edited April 5 in Subaru
Have an idea tomake the Forester even better? Maybe it's something as simple as more color choices, different drivetrain, or maybe it's a radical redesign.

This is the place to let your creative juices flow! (Is "juices" a Subaru Crew pun?? :P )

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Did someone call me? :)

I have several suggestions:

* how 'bout a 5 speed auto with SportShift?
    * VTD please, and not just on a CrossSport model
    * offer the self-leveling suspension on all models
    * stability control is long overdue

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Better towing. :)

Class II (3500 pounds) would be perfect.

Bob
    That should have been assumed by our hosts and Subaru. :shades:

I'm surprised you didn't ask for more...

What do you want to see for the '09 model?

-juice
  • like they had in '00 but not quite as dark...With a TAN interior in Leather or cloth...

After all it's a "Forester"..aren't Forests green? :shades:
  • I recently purchased a 2006 Forester LL Bean edition with a sun roof. When the roof cover is back to allow the sun light in, the car gets hot. I noticed the glass is not tinted.Is it standard not to have tinted glass or is this an error on Subaru's part. Also I checked to see if I could have the glass tinted and was advised the glass could crack. Any information on this problem is greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Fred
    Besides the increased towing, and in addition to what you've asked for:

• 3.0 H6 option

• Turbo diesel option

• Be able to match, or be in the ballpark with the CRV, et al, in terms of interior room

• Dual-range tranny option—on both 5EATs w/sportshift & manual tranny models

• 6-speed manual on turbos

• Larger tires

• Bring back the full-size spare

• Improved NHV & more refinement

Bob
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    I had my sun roof tinted, applied tint, the film, and it did indeed crack. I took it to my insurance, they said it was a manufacturer defect, and my local Subaru dealer replaced the glass free of charge.

They never said a word about the tinted film on it.....
  • lakepoplakepop Posts: 221
    Bigger gas tank.......firmer brake pedal... a light green paint.......better front glass/windshield.

My .02
  • gmginsfogmginsfo San Diego, CAPosts: 113
    the perfect Subaru Forester would be a little taller and maybe even a pinch longer and wider. The sun visors would slide back, or have internal extensions, so I wouldn't have to salute the sun left-handed when it glares on me. The "automatic" day/night mirror would be replaced by the manual flip-handled kind of old, i.e., the kind that works, and there'd be some more leg room and clearance to make it easier for me to get in and out. And I'd never thought I find myself saying this, but with the advent of the new ultra low sulphur Diesel fuel here in CA - which makes for a noticeable improvement in smoke and odor "issues" (I can't wait to see the air quality stats after a few months of this new fuel's use) - yes, a Turbo Diesel might be a good thing! In the meantime, though, an H6 matched to a 5 speed auto would do just as well. Oh yeah, a little more soundproofing and deadening against engine, wind, road and tire noise, too. And whatever you do, don't shrink the sunroof: "keep watching the sky!" ;)
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Bring the Forester STi here! That would certainly make me consider getting one. ;-)

But echoing the others here, Subaru really does need to keep up with transmission offerings with their models. The Forester and Impreza line are long overdue for a 5EAT and VDC.

Ken
    I have a sneaky suspicion that we may see Subaru offering CVTs in the future. I've heard from someone "in the know" who said Subaru is having a "change in philosophy" in terms of transmissions. However, he would not elaborate. :(

Bob
    I have heard the very same things, coming out of designers conferences, etc. The CVT is a easy and cheap way to increase Federally mandated MPG numbers. ;)
  • prosaprosa Posts: 280
    Let's just hope that the Forester doesn't follow the RAV4 and Outlander and get all bloated in order to fit a third row! I just can't understand this "third row fetish." It's not as if families today are getting larger and need more seating capacity (Google "Social Security" and "bankruptcy" to see what I mean ;) ), carpooling is an idea that never seems to get anywhere, and for the people who actually do need >5 seating capacity there already are many suitable vehicles available.
    Exactly!

The Forester, which I do love, really isn't more than a two passenger automobile, or at the most two adults and two small children. Beyond 10-11 years, its backseat isn't comfortable....

Which dovetails nicely into my suggestion for a change I would like to see, which is rear seats that fold really flat, or tumble and stow beneath the floor, at least flush with it. :)
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    Let's just hope that the Forester doesn't follow the RAV4 and Outlander and get all bloated in order to fit a third row!

Could not agree more.

Subaru will be able to provide more backseat space by using a different suspension configuraion (e.g. multilink) without making the car bigger. Making the Forester bigger would be a suicide for Subaru. It's popular because, among other reasons, it's the size it is now.
    A CVT would not be surprising, especially since JATCO has made trannies in the past that shared parts between Subaru and Nissan.

-juice
    I'm not saying Forester should be that vehicle, but Subaru is just about the only manufacturer without a 3 row vehicle of any kind below $30k.

They need a budget people mover, maybe like the Mazda5.

-juice
  • Couple of items have already been addressed by posts here. Here's my few in order of priority.

1. improved fuel mileage (every maker should be striving for this)
    2. fold down flat seats with heavy rubber of plastic covering (difficult to load large flat items, and tends to dirty up the carpetlike covering)
    3. extendable visors (my 2002 has the cheesy plastic sunvisors. Had to buy an even cheesier add on to get an extension. I drive to work and home with sun on the left, so this will always be a problem)

And what I don't want:

1. more powerful engine at cost of fuel mileage. For my purposes 165 hp is fine thanks; I could probably do with a little less under most circumstances.
    2. more "standard" features. Prefer the utilitarian feel of my 2002 L compared to the newer models with color coded bumpers, moon roofs, 6 disc CD changers etc that in some cases may be included as standard.
    3. bigger model. Like the small SUV feel and the easy handling.

Just as aside; didn't Subaru try a CVT in their Justy?? Don't know why they abandoned it.
    Juice, reading through older threads in several forums, it seems it is very hard to get people to adjust (although they finally do) to the CVT and even the drive by wire, which does have some lag time.

Guess we all get set in our ways, and its hard to retrain our own ears for the sounds we are used to. ;)
    I had a scooter with a CVT. That plus it was a 2-stroke, i.e. no engine braking.

So imagine driving a vehicle with no engine braking that felt like it never shifted...definitely an adjustment!

Any how, if the engine it at the right RPMs for torque, power, or economy, whatever is best at the time, I'm all for it.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.