Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Subaru Forester

Comments

• p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Depending on the model, the Forester already comes with a heated windshield.

-Frank
  • imm1962imm1962 Posts: 11
    On my old Ford Mondeo the WHOLE windshield was heated, not only the bottom part (where are the wiper blades)
    -Ivan
    How'd that work? I can't see them running heating elements thru the entire windshield. If for no other reason than it would be a distraction for the driver to have to look thru all those wires.

-Frank
  • imm1962imm1962 Posts: 11
    Works in the same way as conventional rear window heating elements. Only the wires are very tiny and they run vertical, not horizontal. The wires are so tiny that they do not distract you and it worked wonderful in those winter mornings instead scraping ice from the windshield.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,371
    My friend's Range Rover had this too. Super fine elements are hard to see and work well, but man oh man, would I hate to know what a replacement windscreen would cost... :sick:
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    SVX had something similar to this. It was a solar blocking metalic windshield. EZ Pass would not work through it at all. Nor radar detectors. Pretty much nothing electronic would go through! I think it was like $900-1000 to replace the windshield on it.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yikes. :sick:

At least in MD it's covered under comprehensive auto insurance policies.
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    I remember that Ford had this on many models, probably back in the 90's or so (maybe they still do?). It had a copper-colored tint to it when viewed at an angle, caused by the metallic film.

Len
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    I can't remember when they started that "pollen" filter thing. At first it was "only" in the versions above the X. I do know in 04 that ALL Foresters had the location to install, the only thing is that they did NOT put them in the X's, so all you have to do is buy one and install it...
  • I've been hearing the forester is to be "enlarged". I talked to my dealer who confirmed the forester and impreza are going to be built on the existing legacy platform... this will at least increase the over-all length and add some much needed leg room for back seat passengers... According to the specs it looks like the width will stay about the same... I think this will happen for the 2008 model year

I also hope the forester is offered in the upcoming toyota/subaru hybrid engine.... And it may be wishful thinking.... but a bio-diesel or bio-diesel hybrid would be great (don't know if anyone is doing diesel-hybrids though
    A lot of new info is here as the 2008 Impreza photos and specs are leaking out.

Impreza's wheelbase is 103.9", and that's probably long enough that the Forester will get the same thing.

The gas tank is 16.9 gallons, so again, Forester should get at least as big a tank.

A more compact rear suspension means much less wheel intrustion, so again I'd expect more cargo space on the Forester.

It'll probably arrive for model year 2009, but calendar year 2008.
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 766
    Probably been mentioned before, but I would like to see a 5 speed automatic in a future Forester.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• bbthomasbbthomas Posts: 24
    Things are looking positive for the 2009 Forester, if it gets some of recent items added to other Subaru's:
    VDC on more models
    2 row curtain airbag
    longer wheelbase for rear seat room
    telescoping steering wheel
    audio controls on steering wheel

A 5EAT would be nice, keep it boxy for cargo, and keep the huge moonroof. An added bonus would be if the front passenger seat folded flat to handle long items like the Jeep Patriot.
    Had my driver's side window broken but they ran before breaking in when the alarm went off.

Perhaps if they could have seen the blinking red security light instead of it being hidden behind the steering column they might not have tried in the first place.

Take a look. If you come up from the back, you can see it, but if you are right at the side, it isn't immediately visible and you have to look to one side of the steering column...

Grrrr, not at Subaru...just Grrr...
    Security lights don't stop thieves. Unfortunately :(

-mike
    For sure, 5EAT is a big one.

That's a mistake they made with the 08 WRX.
    >>Security lights don't stop thieves. Unfortunately<<

In Topeka they do and sitting in your driveway... LA, NY, maybe not. Heck, sitting in your car doesn't stop them there...
  • dstew1dstew1 Posts: 275
    I would expect to see something along the lines of the '08 Tribeca grill on the new Forester, along with the concave body paneling and shoulder lines we are seeing on the Tribeca and Impreza.

Assuming the '09 Forester will get:

1) A 16.9 fuel tank (up one gallon from the current model)
    2) The double-wishbone suspension, doing away with the strut towers in the cargo area, allowing for a flat cargo floor
    3) Steering wheel controls
    4) More leg and hip room for rear passengers, and
    5)(Fingers crossed) a 5EAT with paddle shifters - at least on the turbo'd version - an update I think we'll probably see on the '09 Impreza as well.

All of that will address most of my complaints about my 2006 XT. And it goes without saying that if Subaru doesn't preserve the interchangability of the new Forester and Impreza models, like they have now, then they're nuts. A lot of the Forester's appeal, for enthusiasts at least, is being able to scavange the enormous Impreza aftermarket bin.

Doug
    Won't the double wishbone reduce height? I see those on Escape's/Tributes if I am not mistaken. Looks like a brush sweeper under there.

What are the advantages, disadvantages?
    Advantages are packaging, they reduce the amount of verticle space required in the rear trunk/hatch section for the struts and springs. They take up more room horizontally toward the center of the car. They also give a lower center of gravity in that they are lower to the ground and weight is lower down in the car. It is also my opinion that they handle a little better but that's debatable.

-mike
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    It would seem that the lower gravity is taken at the expense of ground clearance. Something I love in our forester. If I want handling, there's the Rex.

Regards,
    Kyle
    I don't see how it's going to hurt ground clearance. I have great clearance on my Armada and it has Indy rear with double or triple wishbone rear suspension.

-mike
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    i must have taken your comment about them being lower to the ground as meaning less ground clearance. not my first mistake by any stretch,
    Sorry about that. I didn't actually make it clear. Essentially in a strut-type suspension you have the weight up high and the strut mounting points are higher in the car, near the rear passenger shoulders. With the double wishbone it's lower down near the base of the seat which allows for more room in the cabin and a lower center of gravity.

-mike
    The new suspension is very trick. Imprezzively compact (get it?). ;)

Didn't seem like the Forester would sacrifice much clearance. And I understand your concern because our Legacy's control arms are much closer to the ground than any part of the suspension of our Forester.
    Now that I've seen the WRX, I'll be thrilled if the Forester gets all those improvements plus two measly extras:

* VDC across the board
    * 5EAT with Sportshift

VDC is much, much, MUCH more important in this class. Right now Hyundai has advertisements boasting that they make it standard, and Subaru is behind. Offering it only on some models in an SUV of any sort is suicide.

I hope the WRX gets a 5EAT phased in for MY2009, so the Forester should get it too, and on all models! :shades:
    How high up off the ground your tub is, is not the same as ground clearance which is the lowest point hanging down, if I am not mistaken.

Ford Escapes are higher off the ground than a Forester, but due to those (I think wishbone suspension) things next to the wheels that are part of the suspension, they do not have a "higher" ground clearance. Next time you are behind an Escape/Tribute take a look at what I am talking about.

I have driven in ruts in Utah on pretty easy off road type stuff where those things would have been carving rocks and dirt or lifting the whole thing up in the air while bending no doubt while a Forester chugged along...

And thus my earlier question... I can see a better design, but you are still going to need some type of lateral structure you do not need on the straight down strut/spring setup on present Suby's. And that is going to seemingly have some impact on "clear" ground clearance.
    It's all in the design of the vehicle. Don't forget we are talking about a FORD here. As I said I have taken my Armada off-road, done some rock crawling etc. That has double (triple actually I think) rear wishbone suspension and I got hung up on the running boards, not the suspension pieces.

We'll have to see how it looks and drives when it comes out.

No offense to Forester owners out there but the Forester is not an "off-road" vehicle, at best it's a dirt-road vehicle, but let's be honest it's no Rubicon.

They may have different shaped wishbones for the forester v. impreza. Here is a shot I took at NYIAS of the underside:

-mike
    Useful pics. You can see the lower links aren't really much lower than the center diffy. Maybe an inch, plus they're closer to the wheel.

If you look at the same view of an Escape or CR-V, they are several inches lower than the rear diffy.

Ha ha, found a really funny pic:

You can see, near the rear wheel, just how low those lateral link are. :D
    I agree that one of the seldom touted advantages of the Forester is it's clean undercarriage. Sure it's not set up for real off-roading but I'd rather drive it on rough forest service roads than a Escape or CRV (even though they technically have a higher ground clearance). Having said that, the strut towers do indeed take up a lot of interior room so if they can manage to make them less intrusive (without messing up the undercarriage) that would be great.

I don't see the center of gravity issue being of much concern unless you plan on racing one. The Forester already has a much lower CG than anything else in its class. Besides, it's a utility vehicle intended to haul stuff. That the XT can also haul A$$ is just an added benefit :P

-Frank
This discussion has been closed.