Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Subaru Forester

Comments

• eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    I've been keeping a running log of my wish list for changes against my '03 XS w/Prem package for quite some time.

Funny thing is, when I finished the list, I realized that it is almost feature for feature content I can get in the Tribeca, with the exception of a tight turning radius.

However, the Tribeca is just a little too big for my needs and I was greatly disappointed by the flat, unsupportive, non-actuating second row seats in a relatively larger car.

So if the next gen Forester works out to be a 3/4-sized Tribeca with good looks, I'll be a happy camper....

2009 Forester Wish List

Must have to consider upgrading:
    Improved interior lighting (esp. w/sunroof), Steering wheel audio controls, 5-speed auto,0-60 Wish list (not deal breaker):
    Tinted windows, Nav system w/rear camera, Auto *UP* & down power windows, Home Link, Trip computer and oil viscosity monitor like new CR-V, Memory seats, Lit visor mirrors, Sun visor extenders

CARRY-OVER MUST HAVES:
    Tight turning radius (<37 ft.), Premium audio, Pollen Filter, Cargo Net, Plastic cargo tray, Rear bumper cover, Autodimming mirror with compass, Security system upgrade

--Elliot
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Things on your list is part of the reason the Tribeca is on my short-list of replacement vehicles for my Forester.

Price point is the catch, more than turning radius, for me.

-juice
  • jhapinojhapino Posts: 2
    A low range in the stick shift model and room for a better mud eating light truck tire
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Good luck on that one, not going to happen anytime soon.

-mike
    I have to agree.

Even Jeep is going in the other direction, with the Patriot being car-based and most models not being Trail Rated. The Compass isn't Trail Rated no matter which model you choose.

There are fewer trails, and 97% of people never make is to those trails anyway.

-juice
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    Yes, STi... but actually I want my weather radio back... I figured out why it is gone. They had to put the MP3 in the Premium, XT packages and that changed the button on the radio to category... So, since they no longer had them on the "upgraded" audio system, they had to take them out of the basic X's so it wouldn't have something that the "better" ones did not...

Oh and for the 05er above who wanted more rear leg room... they did change the seats in 06 subtly to get your tad...
    Sounds like a good idea, but eventually they'll have to stretch the wheelbase. Competitors are much bigger nowadays.

-juice
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    Won't the new Impreza have a longer wheelbase anyhow? Forester is sure to follow suit.
    That seems very likely. Subaru hasn't actually come out and confirmed the wheelbase of the new Impreza, but that's also pretty certain.
  • imm1962imm1962 Posts: 11
    2008 Forester Wish List
    Navigation System and Stability control (VDC) for LL Bean
    Heated windshield and tilted rear mirrors when you shift to R (my 1999 Ford Mondeo had'em and was very cool)
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Depending on the model, the Forester already comes with a heated windshield.

-Frank
    On my old Ford Mondeo the WHOLE windshield was heated, not only the bottom part (where are the wiper blades)
    -Ivan
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    How'd that work? I can't see them running heating elements thru the entire windshield. If for no other reason than it would be a distraction for the driver to have to look thru all those wires.

-Frank
    Works in the same way as conventional rear window heating elements. Only the wires are very tiny and they run vertical, not horizontal. The wires are so tiny that they do not distract you and it worked wonderful in those winter mornings instead scraping ice from the windshield.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    My friend's Range Rover had this too. Super fine elements are hard to see and work well, but man oh man, would I hate to know what a replacement windscreen would cost... :sick:
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    SVX had something similar to this. It was a solar blocking metalic windshield. EZ Pass would not work through it at all. Nor radar detectors. Pretty much nothing electronic would go through! I think it was like $900-1000 to replace the windshield on it.

-mike
    Yikes. :sick:

At least in MD it's covered under comprehensive auto insurance policies.
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    I remember that Ford had this on many models, probably back in the 90's or so (maybe they still do?). It had a copper-colored tint to it when viewed at an angle, caused by the metallic film.

Len
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    I can't remember when they started that "pollen" filter thing. At first it was "only" in the versions above the X. I do know in 04 that ALL Foresters had the location to install, the only thing is that they did NOT put them in the X's, so all you have to do is buy one and install it...
  • I've been hearing the forester is to be "enlarged". I talked to my dealer who confirmed the forester and impreza are going to be built on the existing legacy platform... this will at least increase the over-all length and add some much needed leg room for back seat passengers... According to the specs it looks like the width will stay about the same... I think this will happen for the 2008 model year

I also hope the forester is offered in the upcoming toyota/subaru hybrid engine.... And it may be wishful thinking.... but a bio-diesel or bio-diesel hybrid would be great (don't know if anyone is doing diesel-hybrids though
This discussion has been closed.