Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Other then that, basically the same thing.

I'm surprised since Euro Mazda6 and Japanese Atenza offer four cylinders only.
    I would have expected different engines in the US to include a six cylinder.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I was referring to design, not engine choices. When I asked about what V6 Mazda will use, I did not get an answer. My guess is it will be the 3.5, not the 3.7. Bummer.
    I can't really describe it. The best I can say is that is has more of a "flow" to it.

One more thing about the Mazda6, from what I was told, there is a bit of Lexus / Toyota in the rear design. More Lexus I hope. Also, the dual exhaust will be part of the bumper, not pipes under the bumper, like in the Euro version. Look for the Mazda6 to be near the size of the 2002-2006 Altima. Apparently, it is built on the same chassis as well, the GG/GY platform, not the Ford Mondeo platform, but, I did not get a confirmation on that either.

Once again, the front end and side profile are almost exactly what Japan is making for Japan and Europe. The rear end and overall size is where they will differ.

Also, I did not get a confirmation about AWD, either. Still a rumor.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    That's the only image I saw of 2010 Mazda3. Sorry for off-topic http://dikarockz.blogspot.com/2007/12/hot-news-2010-mazda-3.html
  • mpg60mpg60 Posts: 71
    Hmm, not sure if that is what the mazda 3 will look like. this article in left lane news discusses that the new mazda 3 will take on cues of the new nagare concept which other future mazda models will also get styling cues from according to Mazda's design chief.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2009-mazda3-to-indicate-future-styling-of-mazda-mode- ls.html
    Yes, the next Mazda3 will have design cues from that concept series. Trust me, the real thing looks more realistic and much nicer then the concepts do.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    I'm eagerly awaiting what the NA mazda6 and next get mazda3 will look like, so any news is good news. Keep the updates comin and thanks!
  • This month's Motor Trend has a bit of info on the US-spec Mazda6, and I'm really disappointed. Again, it confirms a larger vehicle than Japan/Europe, stating it will be built on Ford Mondeo platform, which is an updated version of the Fusion/Milan/MKZ CD3 platform. However (and here's the part I really don't like), there will be NO hatch and NO wagon -- Sedan only. They're saying it will get the Ford 3.5 V-6 and likely AWD option. They have a spy shot of it, but it's got so much camoflouge that it doesn't look like anything special really. I love the foreign market Mazda6 in all three forms and am just so dissapointed that all we get is a bloated sedan that'll probably try to compete directly with Camry/Accord/Altima/Sonata......and not really stand out. I sure hope Mazda proves me wrong. However, on a lighter, and somewhat off-topic note, this month's issue of Road & Track has a pic of the forth coming Audi A5 Sportback.....Wow! It is really nice looking -- kind of a cross between a hatch & wagon.
    When I've said I'm concerned about Mazda designing a different Mazda6 for the USA I'm referring to the platform and mechanicals and exterior.
    Mazda could perform the "lipstick on a pig" treatment for the 2009 and change the exterior and interior with minor changes to platform and engines.
    Did it look like this?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-6-future.html

If you notice, the interior is the same (thank God). The front and side are the same too. The rear is different, but I do like the exhaust coming out of the bumper. Very nice. Really, guys, this car even under camo, still looks so much better then anything out there right now. Also notice, it's not going to have a total plastic mesh grill. It will probably be some sort of "sport" type, body colored grill.

What is a concern of mine is the V6 engine choice? Is it lighter? More fuel efficient I-4? Does it have electro-hydrolic steering like the rest of the Mazda lineup? Other then that, the car should not disappoint.
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    Really, NO hatchback? That would be a bummer. I thought the hatchback had been a good seller.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I don't think hatchbacks have been good sellers in the US for about 20 years.
    No 5 door, No 6.
    I would not be a 6 owner if there was not a hatch.

Mazda3 hatch has sold very well and Mazda6 hatch has sold well enough to justify itself in the US.
  • Motor Trend's article is just pure speculation. The Mondeo platform is not an updated version of the Mazda6 GG/GY (CD3) platform, and the 2009 Mazda is on an updated version of the current Mazda6 platform. We will have to wait and see if the hatch will be dropped. I speculate that the wagon or hatch - if dropped - will be replaced by a two door version of the Mazda6 (mx-6?) or some other vehicle. I doubt the sedan alone will be able to meet the volume that Mazda is looking for.
  • In NA, the hatch was released until a year after the sedan, correct? It wouldn't surprise me if Mazda does that again.
  • really?

I guess the popular Matrix and Vibes don't count as hatches.... oh that's right – they are "crossovers"

While I'm at it, I'm going to expect Ford/Mazda to delete folding mirrors, parking sensors and headlight washers for the American market. It's the non-folding mirrors that really turns me off.
    Being from NY with narrow streets and driveways, I refuse to purchase a car with fixed mirrors anymore.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I guess the popular Matrix and Vibes don't count as hatches.... oh that's right – they are "crossovers"

Exactly! This is why there is the Edge from Ford (rather than a Fusion wagon or hatchback) and from Mazda we now have the CX7 and CX9.
  • CX7 is a crossover? Well, thank you for the news. Despite all the marketing hype, it's an SUV to me. Both CX-7 and CX-9 fail in my book. The CX-7 should be something closer to an Outlander with 5+2 seat configuration. And the CX-9 should be more like the MPV in Japan with 4wd and a lower center of gravity (or sort of a sporty model of the current Toyota Sienna AWD).

Nevertheless, if the new Mazda3 hatchback gets the options of the Mazda6 in Japan, then there's no point to really have a Mazda6 hatchback, unless it's a sedan with a wiper in the back (for people who like sedan form), which it is.

I think a real hatchback should really look like a hatchback. So to me, calling a Mazda6 a hatchback doesn't quite make a lot of sense without the height for more room in the cargo area. The Mazda6 hatchback is more like a "crossover." The longer wagon Mazda6 would make more sense for the extra room compared to a Mazda3 hatchback.

Mazda really has to be careful with the Mazda3 and Mazda6 this time because I believe that Mazda5, CX-7 and CX-9 have failed miserably and are not competitive in term of pricing as well. For a fully loaded Mazda5 with 4+2 seat, you are close to get a Sienna 7 full seats. For a loaded CX-7 4wd, you can get a 3.5L Rav4, or a fully loaded Outlander with 5+2 seat, HID, 30GB, and etc... And CX-9? It starts close to $30k. In that zone, it gets really hot.

If this thing starts to be like VW, and Mazda is not listening, this would be the result :lemon:
    Mazda zooms to success
    Quirky Japanese carmaker becomes fastest growing U.S. brand

quote psycho- Mazda really has to be careful with the Mazda3 and Mazda6 this time because I believe that Mazda5, CX-7 and CX-9 have failed miserably and are not competitive in term of pricing as well.-end

Let's all hope Mazda continues to "fail" in such a spectacular fashion.

I'd like to see and drive the new Mazda6 before I judge it.
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    It looks like they are dropping the 5-door, so I'm already starting to look elsewhere. Hmmm, maybe a 2008 Impreza WRX 5-door would be nice.
    The 5-door Mazda6 sold pretty good around here, at least I see a lot of them on the road. My local dealers are all sold out of the 2008 model 5-doors.