Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Edmunds said it had zoom-zoom still and then said it couldn't keep up with an Altima. So they were speaking out of both sides. If you can't keep up with a creampuff Altima then the car's performance is questionable. I was excited to hear they made a new 6 but after looking at its size I'm wondering why Mazda is leaving behind it's smaller athletic feel for monstrously large vehicles (CX line, the new 6, etc).
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,964
    for monstrously large vehicles (CX line, the new 6, etc).

Does this include a lot of other midsizers as well? It's smaller than the Accord. If you look at the new 6 it really doesn't appear much larger. I would also drive it myself before I condemn the handling. Edmunds went from calling the 1st gen 6 their "editors most wanted" to bad mouthing the same car. Take braking, Edmunds is saying of the new Mazda6 and I quote, "Their braking performance also doesn't seem to be impressive, as this 3,593-pound car comes to a halt from 60 mph in 127 feet". Consumer Reports reported the 2008 Mazda6 stopped from 60 in 132 feet. CR reported the '08 Altima's stopping distance to be 136 feet.

I'm not saying that CR tests or reviewers are any better or worse than Edmunds but I feel that you REALLY have to assess a car yourself before you start parroting the magazine car reviewers.
  • trobsontrobson Posts: 9
    I'd take it all with a bit of salt. The review does seem a bit waffley…

Still, they also posted the first 0-60 and rolling-60 time that I have seen (6.4 and 6.1).

I am not sure the Altima can do tha… and I know the Altima has some pretty large torque steer issues with its drivetrain. . And… even if it is 'faster' it wouldn't be by much and likely more a driver ability issue.

I mean, I remember when spirt cars only did 0-60 in 7.5.

I want a driver oriented car, but I have no illusion about this being like a BMW. I don't think anything about the review indicated it would not be at least as good as the Altima/Camry/Etc.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Yeah, they said the Altima handles better and that the 6 and that the .81 on the skid path was poor. Also, the 127ft distance to stop did not impress them either. Hence why I say Edmunds killed the Mazda6 in the handling and braking department.
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    The Road Test title pretty-much sums it up ...
    I just found it odd that Edmunds would say it drives well in one sentence and then compare it to an Altima in another. Regardless, the super poor highway fuel economy with a V6 is troubling. How is that Mazda got SUV numbers out of a V6 with a 6 speed auto?
  • austinman7austinman7 Posts: 313
    I was surprised at Edmunds' assessment of how noisy the tires are on concrete, saying it "trundled along like cart wheels." That sounds a little like hyperbole.

I was probably on an asphalt section during my interstate test drive, but the car seemed quiet enough to me. I think a rough textured concrete road is probably going to create enough tire noise in many cars for passengers to at least notice the difference between than and smooth asphalt.

rupbre:

Since you have the same model as Edmunds tested -- s GT -- could you give us some feedback on this question. Have you driven it on a textured concrete highway? How was the noise level?

Any other owners have experience in this area yet?

Thanks.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,694
    I am trying to figure out when a .81 skidpad for a mid-sized sedan became "poor". It wasn't too long ago that was considered supercar territory. Now it's "poor". :surprise:
    They said the car came with all-seasons (why is a good question).

all-season tires = noisy
    20 years ago, maybe a .81 was good. Back in the earl 90s the RX, MR2, 300ZX all nailed high 80s. Now high 90s to over a g is minimum for supercar entry. Times change. Back in the 90s a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds was considered fast. Now most family sedans with V6s put that down. Go back 20 more years and you'll see there's an obvious progression.
  • rupbrerupbre Posts: 12
    I have driven on concrete and it is a touch louder, but still quieter than my old Aura. Concrete seems to create more noise on any tire. What I did notice is if the concrete is ground down as they do in Minnesota to smooth out old concrete, the car pulled a little once in a while by the groves. This only happened on one stretch of highway. The color grey looks grey in the dark or in the shade, but looks blue grey in the sun. The pictures I have don't do it justice. Also, I looked at the Mazda 6 because its bigger than its predecessor. The old style was just too small for 4 full size people. I do love this car. Magazine reviews kill me. I never drive as fast as they do or do the G's they do. I mostly look to see how quiet it is, how good the quality of stuff their is, and other more normal stuff. JMO
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    The Road Test title pretty-much sums it up ...

as do comments like:

The extent to which a sporty nature implied by Mazda's zoom-zoom catchphrase is still present in this car...

and

In this 2009 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring sedan, this zoom-zoom character may not be as overt as it was on previous models...
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,694
    Ah, but you have to remember how old some of us are. ;)

I can go back much less time, just 2 years, to a mid-sized sedans comparo done by C/D in which only one car broke .80. So in the realm of mid-sized family cars, is .81 really being "killed"? If so, there must have been a huge leap in handling in the mid-sized sedans field in the past 2 years! Also, I wonder if the Mazda6's standard ESC had anything to do with the .81.
    Anything from .80 to .83 is about all you can really expect on a car this size without a much higher degree of tuning and more than all season touring rubber (put some UHP All Seasons on it and test it then).

I seem to recall the Altima and Accord 'coupes' doing .81/.82 recently, anyway.

Oh well…
    In fact, Edmunds test of both the Altima coupe and the sedan were .81.

So I guess .81 is good but not as good as .81, or even better, .81. :P
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    My 1988 MX-6 had its muffler replaced under warranty (back then the warranty was ONE year!) and I replaced it 3 more times in the next 8 years. Also replaced one of the major exhaust pipes at about year 6.. If there is a company out there besides Mazda NOT using SS exhaust parts, I don't know who they are.. If any car company needs to use SS (or a different muffler supplier), it's Mazda... I've owned about 7 other cars since I bought the MX-6 and have never had to replace any exhaust parts on them.
    Otherwise, it was a great car and I'm looking forward to test driving the new Mazda6 i..

:mad: :cry: :mad: :cry:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I'm thinking a lot has changed since 1988.That was right around when the change to all SS was happening, based on my vehicles anyway.

My 1986 Horizon needed exhaust about every 3 years, but then our 1989 Voyager had SS and it lasted the life of the car (12 years).

Mazda has not really gone back to non-SS, have they?
    Just out of curiosity, I asked my Honda service department about my '04 Accord's exhaust system and they said it was made of a material that combined the features of steel, aluminized steel, and stainless steel, which are the three types of tubing that seem to be used.

Anyone know what is normally used today in most new cars? Or what's used in the new Mazda6? How do we know it's not stainless steel?
    I checked out an i touring today, gray exterior and gray cloth interior. I found the gray exterior to be pleasing and is probably my choice now. However, I was counting on a gray interior to lighten things up a little, but Mazda has selected a gray that is far too light for my taste. I felt like I would get it dirty just looking at it too hard. This is subjective, of course, but I believe Mazda make a bad decision here. The medium gray cloth interior, for instance, in my '04 Accord is much more practical.

I'm trying to adjust now to the prospect of a black interior. On the cloth, there is some relief in that the zebra striping has a little gray in it.

I haven't seen the beige cloth interior yet. Maybe it will be a more practical shade, and I could pair it with the black cherry exterior.
    Does anyone have a link or pic of a Black Cherry model?
  • I emailed Mazda recently to inquire about the exhaust system. Their answer was " The Mazda 6 does not have a stainless steel exhaust system". My 1991 Jeep came with an aluminized/steel exhaust system and it has needed muffler and tail pipes every 3-4 years. I had a 1988 Plymouth Reliant with a stainless system when they first came out and it lasted the life of the car. 13 years/170,000 miles. I have gone round and round between an "i touring 6" and an SE Plus Dodge Charger. Signed the deal on the Charger today. Assuming I could get $1,000 off MSRP on the i touring 6 which is tough to do right now, the Charger still cost $3,000 less in the end out the door. The stainless steel exhaust system,lifetime powertrain warranty and lower price influenced my decision but what totally sealed the deal was driving the two cars. What I have been told is that manufacturers are beginning to shy away from Stainless to save weight and money.
    lifetime powertrain warranty and lower price influenced my decision

Lifetime of the car or Chrysler??? ;)

manufacturers are beginning to shy away from Stainless to save weight and money

I wish they would conduct focus groups and ask the question "would you be willing to pay an extra $50-100 for a car if it had stainless steel exhaust system?". I would guess that the vast majority of people would say yes. But I realize they want to hit certain price points as well. It's been a long time since I had to replace an exhaust system and it always seemed like I was getting ripped off a bit when I did. Not sure why but it sure seemed that way.
    I decided to stop by a Midas shop I had done business with before and ask them about exhaust systems in general. His answers were a little confusing, but he did say that every system has some kind of protection for the steel, even if it's only galvanized steel. So when Madza says theirs is not stainless steel, it doesn't answer the question of what material they are using. There is also aluminized steel, from what I found on the Internet.

It would be helpful to know what Mazda is actually using. Do you think they would answer another email from you on that subject? Or, since you've already made your decision, maybe you could forward the email address to me.

Thanks.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    lifetime powertrain warranty and lower price influenced my decision

Lifetime of the car or Chrysler???

Right....

When the engine dies...the lifetime warranty is over. That is how I read this stupid warranty.
  • rupbrerupbre Posts: 12
    Ok, I have now had the 2009 Mazda GT V6 for a week. Here is what I can tell you so far. The ride is very nice, not to stiff, not to soft. The worst feature are the 18" Michelins. Loud on some pavements and concrete. Otherwise the car is quiet inside. No wind noise whatsoever. The Bose radio sounds great, but should go louder with more thump. Also the knobs on the radio are too small. The trunk is huge. Great room in the back seat. Gauges look fantastic at night. I'm averaging a little over 25 mpg w/70% highway and 30% city. One thing I have noticed, is that the windshield is so raked, the rearview mirror is very close to your head, and the sunroof is so far back. Overall I really like the car.
    Maybe you've already tried this but if not try moving your seat back and telescope the steering wheel a little further out of the dash. That would put you further from the rear view mirror and closer to the sunroof. However, if you're legs are fairly short like mine this might not work.
    As most drivers are too far from their pedals, this probably isn't the case.

Too far from pedals = depress brake fully and if your knee is locked or near locked, you're too far from the pedals.
    Like I said--wouldn't work for me for the reason you cited but if his legs are long it may.
  • Stopped by my local Mazda dealer this afternoon - had only two models in stock.

One was in showroom - 6i GT, black exterior, black leather interior. My initial impressions: Interior quality fantastic, really like the gauges, console well laid out, and the black zebra stripe accents around the shift area is very well done. The car, while very spacious, didn't feel too big or "boat" like - like I felt when test driving the '08 accord. I think this is due to Mazda mostly increasing the length of the car rather than making it really wide. Back seat legroom like has been stated before is very good, and headroom is surprisingly spacious for a six footer like myself. The biggest surprise for me was the 17" alloys. I had seen these in multiple pictures and, to be honest, HATED them. In person though I thought they looked much better, to the point where I actually now like them and consider them a "plus" in deciding between the M6 and competitors.

The other model in stock was a 6i sport, which was the only one available for a test drive. I didn't have much time to spare but took it for a quick spin. The first and most important thing - if anyone is considering a "sport" trim for the M6, I would highly recommend spending the extra $ to move up to a higher model. Many of the interior accents that make the Mazda6 so good are not included in this model (the aforementioned black striped molding, electrochromatic gauges, leather wrapped wheel/shift). Also lacking is the trip computer which makes the area above the console look awkward, as Mazda shortens the width of the display and leaves some empty space. I also wasn't a fan of the black cloth seats, the material just seemed low quality to me. I doubt too many on this forum are considering this, but I hadn't heard anyone mention the sport trim and wanted to give that info to those maybe thinking of saving a few bucks for this model.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    I saw a 6i grand touring, sangria red with tan leather & black interior. a real knockout combination but I think the tan leather is a little on the light side & would require a good bit of maintenance. Didn't have a chance to drive it because it just came off the truck but it Looks great, very comfortable seats. good control layout with the exception of a couple of odd locations for some secondary controls. I've owned mazda's before & they have been great to drive & given excellent trouble free service. However I'll pass on this one only because of the 30 mpg. I average 55000 miles a year so I really need the diesel economy. Waiting for the Acura before I make a final buying decision.