Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,994
    Given your ability to judge vehicles through osmosis

Don't think you meant osmosis. He would have had to touch it for that to happen, correct? ;)
    I've had V6s that run at 1800-2000 rpm at 65-70 and got 30 mpg hwy. The Mopars are pushing more and bigger cylinders too. I just think Mazda blew it on the mpg performance on the V6. With the power and 6 gears to work with I think they could geared it higher in 6th gear.

The numbers on the I4 are decent however.
  • Thank-you very much kapaaian for your friendly, non-degrading, and very informative response! WOW, that is what I call a post! :) If you are a dealer, is there any way that I can oder my Mazda6 from you, even though I live in Northeastern Kentucky??? Man, you know your stuff!!! Take care and God bless, Pam and Randy :shades: P.S. my handle is yahoo
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I for one wouldn't consider buying a Mazda with Ford Drivetrains! There was a report earlier this year

U are sleeping my friend.....MAzda6 has been using the Ford Duratec Engine since 2003 with no notable problems whatsoever.
  • Actually from my research the engine seems to be the best part of this car, they have been fairly reliable.The new one is indeed made in Japan. It is written on the sticker on the new 2009 model.
    They really need to get better gas milage though, because both honda and Toyota are much better for this.

Transmissions though I have been told are sub par, a lot of failures prematurely. Mine being one of them. The Nissan transmissions are fantastic, CVT.

I knew it there are dealers in here, of course you can all trust the word of a SalesMan.
  • Of course there are salespeople in here. However, almost nothing I've said isn't easily verifiable with a simple look at the car. As you said, it notes those things on the sticker.

As usual, of course there are salespeople that are bad, just as there are customers. I've been lied to blatantly by people, and it's not like we don't see through the lies. The best thing to do is find a dealership someone you know recommends and has bought at least two cars from. Preferably a specific salesperson too. Do your research, then go to the dealership. The Mazda dealership I work at now is actually the second one I've worked at. However, the first one was old school, evil, and as I learned more about the car industry, I learned two things. One, I can't deal with a place with the old school mentality. Two, I couldn't in good conscious sell another product. For my tastes, and I am one of those salespeople who let's their taste dictate their sales a lot, Mazda makes the best cars on the road. The 3 is superior to me to the corolla and civic, the 6 is now superior to the accord and camry, Miata, RX-8, CX-7 and CX-9... I've never sold a B-series truck, and only one tribute because I am not a good liar, so I can't talk up things I don't believe in. But our core products are almost all considered best in class by the press and that's what I can believe in.
  • The MZR engine was designed by Mazda, and is produced both in Hiroshima, Japan and Hermosillo, Mexico. It is used in the company's MAZDA3, MAZDA5, MAZDA6, MAZDASPEED6, Tribute and B-Series, as well as the Ford Focus, Escape, Fusion and Ranger.
    Ford renamed the Mazda desgined MZR to Duratec 23
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

The Duratec 3.7 or Cyclone was designed by Ford and is build by both Mazda and Ford. Mazda labels this engine the MZI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine

People in general consider the I4's to be Mazda engines and the V6 Ford Engines.
  • My second attempt at drving the 2009 6 was better y'day. This time I drove the V6, and the bigger, more powerful engine changes the persona of the car and to me it makes the car much more impressive. Not that I was racing it or timing it for 0-60 or anything. It's just that the 6-cyl seems to provide the power in pretty much whatever speed you are in, quite in contrast to the 4-cyl which gives the impression that the car is "working" all the time - the difference is obvious to a large extent as the hp difference. The 4 cyl also felt that it was frequently hunting for the right gear while the 6 cyl felt as if it was always in the right gear. Interestingly, I felt the steering more responsive in the 6 than in the 4 too, though still a little too light for my taste - a bigger wheel is possibly the explanation, I guess?
    The beige interior was quite a turn off for me, because of the way the contrasting dark and beige colors were mixed, especially the inside of the doors. The interior on the drive side felt cheap and not as solid as that of my CX-9. The passenger side was quite alright.
    The auto key unlocks when you come near the car - you can hear the beep when it unlocks - so you can just pull the handle to open the door and get in. But once it didn't really unlock and at that time pressing the button on the handle didn't unlock it either, hopefully a minor glitch and not a frequent annoyance. Anyone else who owns the car had this issue?. As someone here astutely pointed out the lack of any kind of storage in front of the shifter for a quick storage of your phone etc is a bad idea imo. Also sat in the back seat and found the room there just incredible. Amazing how they made such a big car look (and to an extent feel) much smaller.
  • In terms of build quality the Honda wins hands down. Otherwise the 2009 is certainly more comfortable than the honda. Speed wise it is probably close. Compared to the Camry, the Camry is more comfortable and has a better engine. Although the transmission is certainly iffy. The 6 handles better than the Camry, that is a no brainer. If Mazda just used components on par with Honda it would be by far the best car out there. Pity. I guess cutting corners is the name of the game. I have no bias towards any brand, I am completely detached from any of them and there is no self interest, just my observations.
  • keitha3keitha3 Posts: 124
    sedmund, while I loved the contrast between the beige leather and the black, I do strongly agree in your assessment of the 6-cyl when compared to the 4. Pity the mileage was so low, but driving was a joy. The four responded nicely when given gas, but it wasn't the effortless, smooth acceleration of the six. I personally liked the car(s) inside and out, but ended up buying an '09 Accord this weekend.

I was a bit worried over the Mazda's reliability, although this is a new model so there's no real feedback in that regard yet. Another big factor was the dealer. The salespeople are great there, but I very much question whether I'd receive like treatment from the service department. I saw a service manager yelling at a customer on one visit and a google search increased my concern. The Honda dealer I trust as it is the third vehicle I bought from them.
  • jason777,

What exactly is lacking with build quality on the 09 6 that isn't with the accord? It seems as though people are having some issues with the 08 Accord (ie sound in the cabin, i4 headlights flickering). There is not a car in the $20-30k price range that is perfect, every car has its flaws, though most are small and won't leave you stranded on the side of the road.
    I have test driven the new 6 and found it enjoyable. I'm not looking for a new car but do like to keep up with what is in the market. I'd bet if they took the Mazda badge off & put a Honda badge on the new 6 you'd be saying how great it is. Because you got unlucky with a car you now seem to think every car built by Mazda is junk and can't compete with any other brand.

Also, please cite the review that you had mentioned about the brake pedal breaking when they did a hard stop on the new 6. I looked a little and couldn't find any review that stated they broke the brake pedal.
  • zar1zar1 Posts: 24
    The recent NY Times review expressed disappointment with the combined 22 MPG they got with the i. Any of you recent purchasers of the 4 cylinder (or 6 s for that matter) have a chance to check your mileage yet? What are you coming up with?
    Thanks.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Transmissions though I have been told are sub par, a lot of failures prematurely. Mine being one of them. The Nissan transmissions are fantastic, CVT.

The 6-speed automatic is made by Aisin, who also produces trannys for Toyota, and used to build them for Honda.

The 5-speed auto is built by Jatco I believe, who also produces all of Nissans transmission, with CVT being the exception. For many many years, Mazda and Nissan had similar trannys in there vehicles. Jatco (Japanese Transmission Company) was at one time a joint venture by Mazda and Nissan.

The older Mazda 6 transmissions, mainly in the V6, had issues. The later models were ok. Very similar to what Honda went through in 2000-2004
    "I've never sold a B-series truck, and only one tribute "

It's those vehicles that bring the Mazda brand image down. However, in actuality, the Tribute has been a very good reliable car, out side of the 01-02. I almost never see them in the shop.
  • Click me!

Yes, that would be FIRST place, over the almighty Accord and Altima.

Check out the overall fuel economy that edmunds got in their tests:
    Mazda6: 20 MPG
    Accord: 18 MPG
    Altima: 17 MPG (on Premium no less).

Another surprise is the fact that Mazda is the only one that uses scissor-hinges to keep them out of interfering with trunk space. I knew that the Altima didn't use them, but the Accord as well? Wow. I thought Honda would be better than that.

Discuss! :)
    You beat me to it about the observed overall fuel economy. Where are all the nay-sayers now about the crappy FE with the V6?

Skid Path #'s :

Mazda6: 0.81g @ 66.4-mph
    Accord: 0.80g @ 63.3 mph
    Altima: 0.79g @ 65.9 mph

Acceleration Stats:

Mazda6: 0-60 in 6.5 sec / 1/4 mile 14.7 seconds at 95.6 mph
    Accord: 0-60 in 7.5 sec / 1/4 mile 15.6 seconds at 91.0 mph
    Altima: 0-60 in 7.0 sec / 1/4 mile 15.0 seconds at 95.2 mph.

Conclusion:

With more room, better real world fuel economy, better handling, faster acceleration times it's a no brainer why the Mazda6 won.

I do think that the Mazda is at a price disadvantage with equipped with nav, considering an Accord with nav can be had at just over $30,000, while a Mazda6 with nav is around $32,000. I also did not like the fact that the Altima tester was not a loaded one, either.

Nay-sayers where are you!?!?!?!
  • As someone who test drove ALL the midsize sedans out there before purchasing an 09 Mazda6 all I can say is that the results of this comparison are pretty much exactly inline with what I found as well.

The real world MPG's show exactly what many on this board already know and that sadly many uninformed consumers do not: Mazda's will meet or exceed their EPA numbers while the competition builds their cars to maximize the EPA tests at the expense of real-world MPG. The Accord and Altima were a full 5 MPG under their EPA combined numbers.
  • The difference in points should be greater. If you look at the final scoring, the 6 got 90% for mileage, and the accord and altima the 100% when I imagine it should be the other way around since the 6 met it's estimate and also got better than they did.

As far as pricing, here's how it works out.
    2009 Mazda6 S GT W/moon and Nav

Honda accord EX-L Nav

With the 6, for the extra 1265 dollars you get 18 inch alloys, Blind Spot Monitoring, Smart Key, rain sensing windshield wipers, Xenon HID headlights and auto dimming outside mirrors. Plus a bigger trunk, an extra gear and a much tighter turning circle and A2DP Bluetooth in addition to phone support.

The only features I can find that the accord has that the 6 doesn't are the Maintenence Minder and Power Lumbar instead of Manual.

Drop the nav, and the price difference is even less.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I don't know that I'd consider edmunds mpg figures to be "real world". I imagine that they drive more aggressively than the typical driver normally does.
  • and don't leave out the memory seats!!! That's a class exclusive!
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    "I've never sold a B-series truck, and only one tribute "

It's those vehicles that bring the Mazda brand image down.

Most people don't even know the B-Series truck even exists. It is ridiculous to correlate the B-series with negative brand image for Mazda.
    Mazda has a long history of selling compact trucks. Mazda heritage includes the REPU in 194-1977 with rotary engine. REPU is still sought out by enthusiasts.
    Mazda BT-50 is sold globally with the exception of North America. It is a nice truck with good quality and it fits with Mazda brand. It would be a welcome addition to Mazda in North America.

It would be great if Mazda would develop a small SUV or Crossover to compete with Tiguan, RAV4, CRV size vehicles instead of using Ford's Escape.

Mazda6 is a decent effort. My criticism is that it is too large, too heavy, too expensive and there is no hatch or wagon. I simply prefer the Japanese and European versions of the Atenza/Mazda6 compared to the one offered in U.S..
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Class exclusive? No. Not if you are thinking about V6 sedans at around $30k and about the same size as the Mazda6.
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    It would be great if Mazda would develop a small SUV or Crossover to compete with Tiguan, RAV4, CRV size vehicles instead of using Ford's Escape.

Rumor is the CX-5 is coming...built off of the Ford Kuga platform (from Europe of course) Check out the Mazda Kazamai concept unveiled at the Moscow show. Add two doors and tone down the styling.

Dave
    I have been a so-called naysayer about the V6 epa mgp ratings and still believe it is not good for Mazda to be several points under in that category. I have lauded the new Mazda6 in this forum many times but still feel that this hurts from a marketing viewpoint as the average midsize buyer doesn't spend time on these forums but do see the window stickers.

I hope other professional reviews come up with higher than epa averages for the Mazda6 V6 as well as customer "real world" feedback. It would make me more comforatable in considering the purchase of it. However, the vast majority of people still look at and compare vehicles by the EPA ratings and I still believe it was a mistake to from a marketing standpoint not to place more emphasis on being more competitive in that area.

Before anyone starts beating their chest....let's wait to see other examples of this much better fuel economy we can gather.
    It is not ridiculous to correlate the B-Series in the brand image, because organizations take into account all the vehicles the brand sells. The B-Series sells about 1,500 units/ year. While I think it's pointless to even consider them in a reliability survey, they are always included, especially with CR and JD Powers.

Mazda does have a crossover that competes with the Tiguan, RAV and CRV, It's called the CX-7. It's less expensive then the Tiguan when comparably equipped and the CX-7 has far more power and more features.
    I also believe that the EPA estimates on the window sticker could hurt potential sales. However, I am stunned at the fact that it got better "real world" fuel economy then both Accord and Altima. While Edmunds testing may not be what many owners may experience, it is a fair and balanced test because all vehicles were tested in the same conditions and went through the same tests and Mazda came out on top.
  • I'm getting 25.5 to 26.5 mpg with my v6. 70% hwy and 30% city.
    Can't complain about that!
    It would be nice if the 2009 Mazda6 owners would post in the "real world mpg" thread as well.