Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• mpg60mpg60 Posts: 71
    If mazda were not changing out the six early then and keeping the same model as a carryover why did they not then update the web page to show the current model as a 08 offering. For example, notice how the information on mazdausa.com for the 3 is now posted as 08 with no changes to the model for this year.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Because the 2008's are not totally out yet. I have had 2008 Mazda3's in my inventory for over a month and a half. I just received my first two 2008 Mazda6's today, and they are no different then the 2007's. With the exception of a few features.
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    From what I can see in spy shots from the Detroit area, the only differences will be:
    - front/rear fascias; likely for NA crash standards
    - headlamp/taillamp design; likely to keep family resemblance with CX-9, etc.; perhaps Mazda's design direction
    - exhaust tips; NA version are contoured like CX-9, not round like the Frankfurt pics

We can only hope that all three versions make it to North America. That wagon is so hot!

Dave
    I noticed the rear exhaust tips, they are very similar to the CX-9.

As for the front and rear fascias, the camo really hides it, but I think it will basically be the same.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    but it has a strong hint of lexus is/ current nissan altima to it. But still very nice looking.

if it drives how it looks, it seems that the current cushy ride camry, best balanced accord, and best handling 6 will keep their themes.

Dunno who it was who said the new camry is sportier than the new accord, but that simply makes no sense. In what way is it?

the design also has some strong hues of the 3.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Woo-Hoo! :D

The Camry definitely LOOKS sportier than the Accord, especially the SE. The Accord is as conservative as they could make it. The Mazda doesn't have that problem.

The humps (fender flares) work much better on the Mazda than they do on the S-Class. :)

DrFill
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Which is the best balanced of those three, is a matter of opinion/taste. For some the Camry would provide the best balance for others the Mazda6.

I'm sure what you meant was that the Accord is between the Camry and Mazda6 in terms of ride and handling.
    I have seen the new Accord in person, and it looks better then the pictures. It does have a lot of styling cues found on the BMW 5 series. It is also huge, according to the EPA, it is a full sized sedan.

I really am not a fan of the Camry, and I think Toyota took a lot of styling cues from the current Mazda6, especialy in the front and rear. I would assume the Accord is a better handler then the Camry as well.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "I really am not a fan of the Camry, and I think Toyota took a lot of styling cues from the current Mazda6, especialy in the front and rear."

Well I agree Toyota took styling cues for the front end design of the Current Camry from the front of the current Mazda 6 but the rear of the Camry screams 02-06 Lexus ES though.
    yes, exactly what i meant.
    The Camry definitely LOOKS sportier than the Accord, especially the SE. The Accord is as conservative as they could make it

Maybe...just MAYBE the 'se' camry could be 'sportier looking' than the new accord, but i personally don't agree with a thinking that just because you have a ground effects kit, you are 'sportier'. if that were the case, i'd be just as bad as those kids who slap those kits on their civics, thinking it looks more 'aggressive'. Nope. The corolla tries this too, and fails horribly.

And the base camry or any camry without the kit is as bland and un-sporty as can be.

i would hardly call the new accord 'conservative'. I wouldn't apply that term to any of the bmw or acura products it resembles either. Actually, NO toyota fan should ever utter the word 'conservative' towards another automakers vehicles.
    The Camry looks much more aggressive than the '06, no? :)

DrFill
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    A new issue of C&D continues to insist we'll get a restyled Fusion here, not a Mondeo. :sick: I thought they learned their mistake of not bringing the euro-Focus(2) here...
    That we will get a warmed-over current platform Mazda 6, not the cool one the Europeans get.

Ford's share continues to plummet..... :surprise:

DrFill
    I hope Mazda doesn't make the wrong decisions on the 09 6 product wise because if they do their sales we'll go back to selling 240K units on a yearly basis like they did back in 1998 and in 1996 when they sold 238K units. Mazda is on track to move up to selling at least 280K this year or maybe at 290K at the most for this years total. Mazda has to keep this good sales momentum that they have in the US going.

Mazda can ill afford to make mistakes because of Ford being cheap. I mean look at the 08 Tribute its not a very good product in terms of styling and in interior packaging. Plus, Mitsubishi is going for Mazda's customers right now and remember when Mitsu had their big crisis in the US in 2004 Mazda pretty grabbed all of Mitsu's car buying clientel but Mitsu is back with the the 08 Lancer and 07 Outlander.

I hope the 09 6 is not another Mazda sales flop like the refresh of the 1998 626 that took place in 2000. Mazda over-refreshed the 2000 626 and sales went down of that model each year after that refresh.

I hope the exterior styling of the 09 6 doesnlt stray from the Euro model too much. If it does we will be saying again is it time for Mazda too leave the US market? I hope the suspension set-up in the 09 6(NA version) stray too far from the Euro model either. I understand that the NA 096 has to be a bigger model(size wise) than the Euro model of the 09 because Americans like biggers cars than the rest of the world well except for the Chinese because they love their Buicks in China!.
    It will outsell the Mazda3. It could be the next 1999 Passat! :shades:

It will keep Mazda3 owners who want to move up (I'm sure they're running to Altima when they're done with a 3 now), and it will attract new business.

Timing is bad, fighting the Accord and new Malibu for pub.

But being last to the party has it's advantages. ;)

DrFill
    The 2009 Mazda6 will for the most part be the same as the one that debuted in Europe. There really is no reason to have two completely different Mazda6's. Right now, it is the same throughout the world.
    "It will outsell the Mazda3."

If Mazda plays the cards right the 09 Mazda 6 should have no problem outselling the Mazda 3.

I don;t think Mazda is going to bring the Euro 6 here because my guess would be its too small for the NA market just like the current 6 is. I don;t know if Mazda can get away with putting the 09 NA 6 on the same platform was the 03 6 I mean Toyota got away with using the same platform for the 97-01 Camry as the 92-96 Camry but Toyota can get away with alot more things that Mazda can;t because Mazda is associated with Ford and Toyota had a great reputation for reliability back when the 97 Camry came onto the market which Mazda doesn;t have currently. The current 6 is a good platform though since I have a 07 Mazda 6 now so I can attest to the experience that I have with the current 6 platform.

"It could be the next 1999 Passat!"

No, that was 1998 Passat. I'm wondering how many units the 1998-2001.5 Passat sold yearly in the US during that time period.

"Timing is bad, fighting the Accord and new Malibu for pub."

Fighting the Accord will be hard but I don;t think Mazda plans for the Mazda 6 to outsell the Accord I think if Mazda can sell 90K-120K 6's yearly that should be a satisfying number for Mazda. I mean look at 03-06 Mazda 6 sales:

03: 65K
    04: 72K
    05: 71K
    06: 66K

The Malibu is suspect I mean the 04-07 model sold terribly as evidenced as the current gen Malibu being on the market for only for 4 years. IF GM can sell 250K-275k Malibu;s a year than that would be good for GM. GM isn't planning on the Malibu outselling Camry and Accord for the time being I don;t think. Of course the Malibu will outsell the Mazda 6 because Chevy has more dealers than Mazda does and Chevy is like Toyota in that they are a mass market brand.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Hasn't already been established that Ford is not bringing this new European-version Mazda6 to the US and, instead, they will warm over the existing Mazda6 like they are warming over the "new" Ford Focus?

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Hasn't already been established that Ford is not bringing this new European-version Mazda6 to the US and, instead, they will warm over the existing Mazda6 like they are warming over the "new" Ford Focus?

The current-gen 6 is based on Ford's cd-3 platform, both here and abroad. From UK reports, it seems that the second-gen European/Asian 6 is ALSO based on the same platform, and not from the new Mondeo, as rumored before. I'm sure the US will get the same platform, with detail changes to the front and rear ends to meet US regs.

A couple test-drives from across the pond:
    whatcar.com
    uk.msn.com
  • rdm925rdm925 Posts: 46
    I'm a happy owner of my second Mazda 6 (the first one was stolen and totaled), a 2007 6i 5-door Touring. It would be typical american thinking to screw-up a good thing and not bring the euro/japanese version here. From what I've seen the new model is very good. I hope they doing make it boring like the Fusion, or drop the 5-door. (but I bet they will). Oh by the way compared to a Mazda 6, the new Accord is ugly!!!. It looks like a Chrysler Sebring.
    :shades:
    "Oh by the way compared to a Mazda 6, the new Accord is ugly!!!. It looks like a Chrysler Sebring."

Well the new Accord than the last one(the 03 model.) Nah to the 4 door model the headlights like look like they came of the 98 Accord and the rear looks like Acura RL its still too conservative though when you have Altima and Mazda 6 out there.
    "Hasn't already been established that Ford is not bringing this new European-version Mazda6 to the US and, instead, they will warm over the existing Mazda6 like they are warming over the "new" Ford Focus?"

I'm sure Mazda will make signicant changes to the 09 6 to make it feel like a brand new model even if it is based on the same platform as the current model. Mazda has done everything right in term of making good decesions in terms of product of late except for the 08 Tribute. I don;t think Mazda will blow this 09 6 release. If they do they will pay the price. Mazda is too smart now though to blow this release of the new gen 6. The new 6 is the must important release of a car that Mazda has had since the orginal 6 came out(03-08.)
    Hasn't already been established that Ford is not bringing this new European-version Mazda6 to the US

No, that has not been established. Mazda has never done that to date, why does everyone think that will happen now? Did you see that MazdaUSA posted the pic of the next Mazda6 on their website? Where are you people getting this WRONG information that we are getting a "watered down" version of the upcoming Mazda6? Has Mazda said this? NO! I work for Mazda, and the consensus from my district reps, as well as Mazda corporate that we will get virtually the SAME Mazda6 you saw in Frankfurt.
  • rdm925rdm925 Posts: 46
    I hope what you say is true. I've really liked the Mazdas I've owned and I hope Ford doesn't screw-up a good car. US companies have a habit of doing just that. :shades:
    I am pretty sure Mazda did a fine job of screwing itself up and Ford helped them out by buying a stake in the company. Presumably Ford bought a stake because the stock was cheap the time and also thought Ford could benefit from sharing some things that Mazda had.
    That really has absolutely nothing to do with the 2009 Mazda6. Yes, Mazda was in dire straights back in the 80's and early 90's. However, most everyone that ran Mazda back then is gone, as well as every engineer from that era as well. Ford helped Mazda by taking stake in their company. Currently, Mazda has done nothing but bring great products over here in recent years. Everything from 2003 and up have been great. I expect nothing less then the upcoming Mazda6.
    Sure, but I'm just responding to comments that basically seem to amount to: "if I like the car it's all thanks to Mazda, if I don't then it's all Ford's fault".
    I got ya. Blaming Ford for anything that Mazda does wrong is a load of BS. Mazda is it's own company, with it's own CEO, and headquarters in Japan. When will people realize that stake in a company, even controlling stake, does not always mean they are the whipping boy of big brother?
  • mpg60mpg60 Posts: 71
    i saw on the web today they are beginning mule testing of the new 3. the photo looks the same as current 3, but they are indicating of course a boost in horsepower due to changing to the new 2.5l engine along with a bigger car with styling cues of the new generation 6.