Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    No other I4 in this class gets that. I would be highly shocked if Mazda, a company with FE as it's 3rd priority, could accomplish that.

BTW, rpm's were at 2,500 at 70mph. It was also very easy to pass when needed. The engine responded very well. The ride was also very very quiet. I was very impressed. The more and more I drive these, the more and more I want one.

I also caught a few people glaring with a "what the heck is that?" look on their face....in a good way.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I got just over 35 on an I4 Milan 5AT rental at 65-70 cruise. I've also gotten that kind of FE with I4 Sonatas, and those were pre-2009 (FE went up for 2009). So it is possible. Considering the 6 was brand new, mid-30s seems possible after break-in.
  • I have the mpg computer on my 06 Mazda3, and I have found it to be conservative. I calculate my own mileage and compare it to the computer. Pretty much every time, the mpg computer is 1-2 mpg below my calculations. I fill my tank (no topping off each time) each fillup, so I know my calculations are fairly accurate (of course there are slight variations in when each pump would auto shutoff).

I am getting more intrigued by the new Mazda6. I got the $1000 rebate through email, plus I can use s-plan. If I would get one, I would probably step up to the V6. To me I would probably be spending an extra $20/month in gas vs my 3 now (I regularly get 30-31 mpg). The extra refinement and power would make up for that added cost. (of course the monthly payment would go up a bit too :sick: ). Quite tempting, but I may just wait to see what the new 3 will be like...anyone have updated info on it (when it will be out, specs etc?)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    No other I4 in this class gets that. I would be highly shocked if Mazda, a company with FE as it's 3rd priority, could accomplish that.

I can easily obtain 35 mpg in my 2007 Mazda6 i automatic given the conditions described. 33 mpg for an entire tank from pump to pump including some city driving has been replicated many, many times on trips.

If 2009 truly has better fuel economy than previous 6 as many have stated (not me), then it should obtain at least 33 mpg on highway.
    I can't get over 32 on the highway in my 05 Mazda6 5-speed manual. My guess is because I an turning 3,100 rpm's at 70mph.
    I guess we will see if it is possible to get mid 30's highway. Seeing over 31 with an unbroken in engine was quite a surprise. If it got 33 once broken it, I would be happy.

I have looked in the Accord FE threads, and it varies. Many get 31-32, some a little more, some a little less.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    I too have posted on the "real-world mpg" thread re. my 07 6i auto that I consistently get 31-33 mpg on a hwy only trip at 70mph avg speed(who drives 55???). That is on an engine EPA rates currently at 28 mpg hwy. So I think the surprize is that the new engine being EPA rated at 30 hwy, the actual hwy mpg would be even higher than the 1st gen I4. Something more like 34-35mpg was a little more expected for a straight hwy cruise.
  • Excuse me, we just got in our first I Grand Touring Manual transmission car... I need to go drive something....

*cackles*
  • tom17tom17 Posts: 134
    I see the 4 cylinder turns 2500 @ 70.
    Does anyone know what the V6 turns at 70?
    Obviously the lower the better !!!
  • Throughly enjoying my new 09 Mazda6i GT with Navi. My salesperson mentioned that the audio presets can be tied to a given advanced key (like the seat position) so that each driver can have different presets. Did not see anything in the vehicle or navi manual about this. Anyone know if he was perhaps overstating the Advanced Key features?
  • In my test drive of a V6 grand touring, it was lower than that -- about 2100 at 70 mph, I believe. Rupre has posted here and owns one -- he would know better.
  • For those that care, the IIHS frontal offset tests are in.
    Click Me
  • Government testing is also in. In it's class, it is the only vehicle to achieve a perfect 5/5 on all FIVE crash results including rollover. This is also the only vehicle to my knowledge to achieve this period.

By comparison, the accord only has 3 stars for rear side impact, and the camry, altima and malibu all have 4 stars for rollover.
  • Thanks for the heads up on the safety ratings - I guess more good news for potential owners..
  • Thanks Kapaaian, that is good news.

I have a question that maybe you could answer...does the new 6 engines operate with a timing belt or a chain?
  • Timing chain. Mazda's haven't had belts in years.
  • I stopped into my local dealership today (central Ohio region) and inquired about s-plan pricing on the '09 M6. While they were willing to participate, when asking about the $400 s-plan rebate the salesman looked puzzled and said there was no rebate. He went on to say that he's only heard of Mazda doing that "once in the past few years"??

I'm not sure if my region is eligible for this rebate or not, but thought it was strange that the salesman hadn't heard of it. I also just called the Mazda customer line and inquired about the s-plan rebate and of course, the customer service guy hadn't ever heard of that either and just said "there are no current rebates on the 2009 Mazda6".

Can anyone help confirm or deny this for the Ohio region?

On a side note, don't think this has been mentioned yet, but checked out a iGT with gray leather interior. While I hated the two-tone appearance of the beige leather, I thought it was very good looking on the gray (more interesting than the monotone black).
  • At 70 mph, my v6 is turning 2100 rpm. The car is smooth.
  • gfogfo Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2009 I touring in Northern Ohio and used the S plan. I also received an additional $400 dollars for the S plan rebate. Plus I received a $1,000 private launch cash that I received from Mazda via email. So in total I was $2,800 under invoice.
    I asked the salesman about the rebate and he checked with the sales manager and said yes we also have the additional $400 rebate for the S plan.