Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    The '08 i Grand Touring was automatic only, wasn't it?

In all fairness, I'd be willing to bet that the '09 i Grand Touring had the lowest 'take' rate on the 6MT. It still surprises me that Honda offers the Accord EX-L with the 5MT. 2008 was the last year you could get a Ford Fusion SEL 4-cylinder with the 5MT, too.

I just keep imagining how much fun a 6-speed manual would be with the 3.7L V6 in the MZ6 s models! I doubt I'll ever see that happen, though.

While they're shaking everything up, I wonder if they might redesign the 17" alloy wheel pattern? Am I the only one that just really doesn't like it? Especially compared to the gorgeous 18" on the s Touring and Grand Touring!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Especially compared to the gorgeous 18" on the s Touring and Grand Touring!

I agree about the design. Those 18" alloys are beautiful!! However, if you read my post a little closer, you will see that the 18"s are now reserved for the s GT only...bummer...

If the 17" design were the same as the 18", I would be thrilled....but....we are stuck with the "Snow Flake" ones...
  • To be honest I never paid much attention to the previous generation Mazda6 after say MY2005. Didn't like the facelift and by that time I'd already bought my Altima, but I do get your point about the lack of manual transmissions on upper level trim levels.

I'm not crazy about the 16s or 17s on the Mazda6. I'd be inclined to go aftermarket or see what kind of deal I could get on the 18s at the dealer.
    I was disappointed when Mazda stopped offering the 3.0L V6 with the 5-speed manual. It seemed rather anti-"Zoom-Zoom" at the time.

They introduced the MAZDASPEED6 with 6-speed manual at about the same time...hardly a coincidence! They didn't want the V6/manual to steal any SPEED6 sales!

On new mid-size sedans, the Altima SE is the only major player offering a manual with V6! I'd love to see the 272hp 3.7L V6 in the '09 Mazda6 s offered with a 6-speed manual....it'll never happen, though...

Honda really surprised me when they introduced the Accord EX V6 6MT Sedan in '06! I recently ran across an '07 with 20k miles for about $3k under TMV and it was tempting.
  • austinman7austinman7 Posts: 313
    Thanks for posting all this information.

So the S Sport model is gone? Only the S Touring Plus and S Grand Touring remain?

The push-button start is not available on the S Touring Plus, and only with the Technology Package on the S GT?

Moonroof is standard on both S models?

Thanks.
  • chriso5chriso5 Posts: 8
    I noticed that my driver's armrest has an indentation in it where I rest my elbow during driving.

I only have a little over 1100 some miles and haven't driven it in a 3 days. You can't see it much, but if you rub your fingers over it the depression is certainly there. I realize this is a minor issue, however I am concerned what it will be like in another 10,000 miles.

Does anyone else have this?

Thank you.
  • fliegerflieger Posts: 14
    I have 4k on mine and no such issue. You may as well get it fixed while it is under warranty.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Posts: 205
    I went with hankook w409 winter i pike snow tires on 17" maxim wheels couple of weeks ago. Snow handling of these tires is awesome. We had about 6 inches of snow today and my 6 went up my un-plowed steep driveway with ease! Amazing what a difference snow tires can make! These tires also have decent dry handling and pretty quiet on highway driving. Very happy with them so far.

I have the exact same tires on MY RX-8 that I drive in northern winters, and have had no problems in snow as deep as 7".

That's saying a lot since the RX-8 is low profile and rear wheel drive.

When I say no problems, I mean none - the iPikes are amazing.
  • chriso5chriso5 Posts: 8
    Thanks for checking your armrest Flieger.

** Could others please check their driver's armrest by "feeling" it for an indentation from your elbow? Mine has one and it never goes away, even if I don't drive it for days.

I sure would appreciate the feedback.
  • aray3aray3 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2009 Mazda 6 I touring with the 2.5 4 cyclinder, and it only has about 300 miles on it. I noticed today while driving that the transmission was jerking while in stop and go traffic on the highway.

Is anyone familiar with this? Should I be doing something about it? or is it normal?

Thanks for the help.
    I have the same car as you. Now that i have > 4000 miles on it, i noticed that the engine performs better, and the transmission is not so jerky anymore. However, in stop-and-go traffic, flooring the gas pedal will still cause some jerkiness. It may just be the nature of this type transmission.
    It should improve over time.
    I recommend putting 3-4k miles on it and see how it feels.
  • waterbuck1waterbuck1 Posts: 11
    I am close to buying a Mazda6 iTouring.

I tested the base model speakers and thought they buzzed a bit, although they were not awful.

Getting Bose speakers would be nice, but with the moonroof (which I don't need), it's rather pricey, as a $1500 add-on.

I am not the kind of person who can wire up speakers myself.

The question is what to do:

a) go with the Bose/Moonroof package for better sound, at the price of $1500 extra or whatever,

b) take the car to some audio shop and ask for installation of "high quality speakers" (I don't know if the average shop knows what is safe to install on this system, and I don't really know what an "improvement" in audio quality would cost---can anyone make a suggestion here?)

c) Stay with the basic speakers that come with the base model and perhaps swap in better speakers when audio shops get more familiar with the 2009 Mazda 6.

By the way, I posted this separate, but if anyone has an opinion on whether the iPod integration module adds sound quality vs using the aux input, let me know.
  • waterbuck1waterbuck1 Posts: 11
    Hi-
    I'm close to guying a Mazda 6 iTouring (2009) with Convenience Package.
    I wasn't planning on Navigation package.
    I do use an iPod a lot.

Adding the iPod integration unit in would cost extra.
    Does it sound much better than using the auxiliary-in jack?

I read several posts saying that this works well if you have a Navigation system but leads to greater difficulty controlling the iPod in non-nav cars, because you are compelled to control the iPod through the vehicle, but you can't really skip through the menus easily.

Do you agree?

Thanks
    waterbuck1
    :confuse:
    The upgrade to the Bose audio system is much more extensive than simply installing Bose speakers in place of the standard units. The head-unit (built into the dash) is upgraded with an amplifier and subwoofer. The base stereo also has only 6 speakers, while the Bose system has 10 speakers.

The Moonroof & Bose upgrade will work in your favor at trade-in time, so I say go for it!
  • nissenisse Posts: 1
    I also would like to know how to improve the audio quality from the standard system installed in my new 2009 Mazda 6. Unfortunatley the Bose system was not an available option for my model which is called Advance.
    Now I have driven the car for one week and cannot accept the low-fi performance of the built in audio system. No clarity of sound at all.

Perhaps it can be possible to add two tweeter loudspekers on the dashboard in some way plus a filter between the tweeter and the standard loudspeaker.
    Anybody got a suggestion ?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    When I got my 6i GT in November (8000 miles now) I had the CD changer dealer installed. It worked just fine until the weather started to warm up this past few months and now when each CD gets to about the 5th or 6th track, the music breaks up and that CD won't play any more except for the first 5 or 6 tracks. When I change to the next CD, all is well until it gets to about the same point. But each CD will play OK the next time I use the car, IF I jump right to the 7th or 8th track. This does not happen consistently which is why I've delayed going back to the dealer. I am waiting until it becomes so consistent that I can drive into the dealer's shop and demonstrate the problem to them. Has anyone had this kind of a problem yet?

Regarding a comment I made months ago re: using fog lights without the headlights, I have owned 3 or 4 other cars where the fogs could be used with just the parking lights, not the headlights. It is not uncommon.
    Conversely, I wish there were a way to build cars so that the fogs could NOT be turned on unless it were actually FOGGY.. Many cars have "fog lights" which are in reality "driving lights" which do not have the flat beam cutoff that good fog lights have such as on the Mazda6 and the Mercedes I traded toward my Mazda6. Those other "fog lights" are tend to blind oncoming drivers and are used indiscriminately by too many drivers. Besides, most states ban "driving lights" on roadways and restrict them to off-road activities. (Just had to do a little venting..!)

:) :) :)
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,006
    Agree totally. Seems to be a problem with the male of the species especially when driving big 4X4 trucks. It's kind of like the plumage that male birds show off to attract a mate. Sad thing is that in the human species this only attracts shallow females. If the attraction becomes a union and offspring result it just adds to the problem.
    Does anyone have the Bose Audio system in the 2009 Mazda6? I'd be interested to hear any opinions from those who have it...

The Bose system in the 2010 Mazda3 is a bit disappointing, as far as upgrades go. The standard audio system in the "s" models is quite good, for a standard setup. The Bose upgrade just doesn't seem to improve sound quality or volume significantly, IMO. I'll probably end up getting it (if I decide to buy another MZ3 instead of the MZ6) because it's packaged with the moonroof, which I want.

Anyone care to share?
  • pats1fanpats1fan Posts: 18
    I have it, and I can sum it up in one word, "shallow." The speaker system is unimpressive at best. If you enjoy clear, crisp, music with any base whatsoever, you will disappointed. If I could do it over again, I would have skipped the moon and tune and put in an after market system for less money.
  • snoopy316snoopy316 Posts: 12
    I have a 2009 mazda 6 with bose and i think it sounds great. I wish it went a little bit louder, however, besides that it sounds awesome. It has clean crisp audio, plenty of bass.

If your listening to FM radio, then yea it might not sound great. Throw a new CD in the 6 disc changer, it makes all the difference.
    I have the '09 Mazda 6 with the Bose/Moonroof package, and I am very happy with it. As a musician, i care about good sound quality, and this system has it. It is very clear in all frequencies, has a lot of power, and is well balanced throughout the car.
    The only improvement I wish for is an integrated iPod controller.
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    The sound quality from the Bose is good, but like the others said, it does not get loud. In other words I wish the volume can be increased. But it is clear. Note that because of the size of the car, the rear passengers get a better sound from the rear speakers. The only reason I got it is because it is packaged with the push button start, and bluetooth here in Canada. On its own, it would not be worth it.
    I've never understood why Mazda has such differences in the trim levels and option packages between the US and Canadian markets! For example, you guys (Canada) only have four trim levels of the Mazda6- GS I-4, GT I-4, GS V6 and GT V6...compared to seven trim levels here. The Canadian GT I-4 even has the 18" alloy wheels standard- not offered on ANY 4-cylinder MZ6 in the US! :(

It's much the same with the Mazda3. In Canada, the 5-door can be had with the 2.0L or 2.5L engine. In the US, all 5-doors are 2.5L 's' models.
  • adamb1adamb1 Posts: 21
    We have had our Mazda 6s GT for 6 weeks and have put 3,000 miles on it including a 1,200 mile road trip vacation. The car is certainly a comfortable cruiser. Cruising 80 mph for 6 hours on the interstate was comfortable and not nearly as tiring as the old Dodge Intrepid was. I really enjoyed the satelite radio on the trip and the nav worked flawlessly over 7 days through 5 states. Being able to open the sunroof and front windows remotely from the fob was nice on hot days when the car sat parked in the sun. We got 27 mph with the cruise set at 75 mph on the flat Illinois interstates. Through the entire week, I only saw 2 other 2009 Mazda 6's on the road.
  • ianmaticianmatic Posts: 10
    I had the car since December, and have found the inteior quality of the 6 to be poor. The driver side area behind the visor keeps rattling when going over bumpy roads, so does the center console. Also found rattling noise where the seat belt is hinged. The problem is getting worse and worse. thinking of taking it in but afarid they will not do anything about it. Anyone else having this problem?
  • adamb1adamb1 Posts: 21
    I have an '09 Mazda 6s Grand Touring. We have had it for only 3 months and have 3,000 miles.

I have noted no problems with the interior so far. Everything is tight and quiet. What trim level do you have?
    Sorry to hear that. Rattling is one of the most annoying things in a car.
    I have the '09 with convenience pkg/moonroof, and have no rattling noises at all (7k miles).
    I would have this issue fixed asap under warranty.

Christoph
    I have the 09 I Touring model
    Yeh i will have the dealer look at all the problem. if they cant fix it hopefully i can swap for a speed6! that would be sweet. thanks for the input guys
  • pats1fanpats1fan Posts: 18
    Sure do. Have a very annoying rattle from the center console. I would also consider taking it in if I didn't know it would be a complete waste of time.