Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Mazda6

Comments

• exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    Thanks, I was thinking that too.
  • Just to let everyone know, if you go to Mazda's website, you can sign up for info on the next-gen 6
  • Now youre talking !!!! :shades:
  • I don't think edmunds is in the habit of making this page 6 months before the car is available...the new 6 pic is there too (although it could be that of the euro one)

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda6/2009/review.html

Does it mean they already have one, will have one real soon or is this just wishful thinking?!?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Those are pictures of the Euro Mazda6. Apparently, our Mazda6 will be very similar.

The 2009 Mazda6 for the US wil displayed to non MNAO (Mazda North American Operations) employees in April at the national dealer meetings in Denver, CO.

I am not suprised that Edmunds already has it's hands on one. Mazda is one of those companies that likes to have writers and reviewers test their cars just before the unveiling. Once the car is unveiled, all of the various reviews will hit the web and magazines.
  • I spoke to our Mazda rep on Friday, and no surprise, he was very tight lipped. He said that the initial few cars will ship to the west coast in April. I expect to see them out here in the Boston area in July-ish. Points south will most likely see them sooner, especially Wayne Mazda in NJ, being that they are the #1 volume dealer in the country. I'm still waiting on the information from Mazdausa.com that I signed up for
    He said that the initial few cars will ship to the west coast in April. I expect to see them out here in the Boston area in July-ish.

I don't think the west coast dealers will get them come April. They have not had the opportunity to order any yet, and turn around from time of order to dealer lots is around 8-12 weeks. Remember, dealers will get to SEE the Mazda6 for the first time on April 25th. Look for ordering forms / specs / and pricing to follow AFTER that meeting.

I have been told that we can expect these on our lots come September / October at the earliest.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Why would they get to the west coast first? It will be built in Michigan, not Japan.
  • Good call on the not waiting thing.
    I am sure that it will not be until 2010 that Mazda doe as 6 door with go fast parts.
    If you want row the car yourself go with the Speed 3, if you want the auto shifter go with the VW.
    Happy shopping
    Let me how it works out.
    Later RXL
  • Any info on the rating of the 4 cyl. 2.5? I'm thinking that a more torquey (than the 2.3) 4 banger would be a better bet for a commuter like me than a 6 cyl. Now, if the 2.5 is only rated at 30 mpg maybe I'd reconsider a 6 cyl.--maybe-- but the prospect of $4 a gallon gas will make me do some serious contemplating.

If I like the new 6 and go for the 2.5 everything would then depend on whether Mazda keeps the manual transmission option. Can't imagine they'd get rid of it, but if they do, I'll be visiting others' showrooms.
  • Good call on the not waiting thing.
    I am sure that it will not be until 2010 that Mazda doe as 6 door with go fast parts.
    If you want row the car yourself go with the Speed 3, if you want the auto shifter go with the VW.
    Happy shopping
    Let me how it works out.
    Later RXL
    Well, rumor has it that the NA 2009 Mazda6 will indeed get Mazda's 3.7L V6, rated at 270hp and 267tq. EPA fuel rating at 19mpg city and 27mpg highway. This happens to be the almost the same EPA rating as Honda's 3.5L VTEC w/ fuel saving VCM technology (19/29). The Mazda engine also will boast a torque advantage of 19lb ft, and a slight 2 hp advantage. I would only imagine that the Mazda6 V6 should be pretty darn quick, as long as it does not weigh 3600 lbs like the Accord EX-L V6.
  • If I like the new 6 and go for the 2.5 everything would then depend on whether Mazda keeps the manual transmission option. Can't imagine they'd get rid of it, but if they do, I'll be visiting others' showrooms.

Last I heard, the 2.5 will be offered with a manual, but NOT the V6!!! :mad:

Note to Mazda: V6 with automatic only is WRONG!!!

No three-pedaled V6 model? No repeat Mazda6 for me! I'm not the only one that thinks this, BTW.
  • mpg60mpg60 Posts: 71
    hi all, autoblog.com has an article with some photos of the new mazda 6 spied in detroit. BTW, this is a new completely unveiled photo, not previously published. For the most part it is very similar to the euro version. a few minor differences. Read the article. No info on engine specs.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    that's how I felt :sick:
    I have a funny feeling that only the 2009 model will not have a manual tranny for the V6. I find it very hard to believe that a company like Mazda would not have a manual option for their V6 flag ship sports sedan. I think it may have to do with the fact that Mazda, in recent years, has had a manual tranny shortage. For the past two years, Mazda has cut back the availability of their manual tranny's in the Mazda6 and Mazda3 by almost 20%. This is just a hunch. I also think, with no actual confirmation yet, that Mazda may be producing a new 6-speed manual for the car. From what I know of the company, this does seem to fit their character.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Mazda ruined the North American Mazda6.

The front grill is especially distasteful compared to the Euro version.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,048
    I didn't notice that much difference in the grill vs. current 6 and also don't think it looks bad. The grill I'm talking about, not the RX8 fender look which I don't care for in the pics but it may look better in person. The new Euro 6 has the mesh grill that just about everybody here doesn't want in the current model!
  • I think we will have to reserve final judgment until the final product comes out or we see other pictures from different angles. The Euro and Japanese versions are available with both the standard black honeycomb-like grille and the body colored sports grille, which leads me to think that NA might also have both depending on trim. I prefer the NA back end and European model front end with the honeycomb grille. The Euro and JDM versions look more upscale than the NA version - at least from the limited pictures shown so far.
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    I completely agree. The EU version has so much more flow (less sharp lines) and looks more buttoned down. I'm not really digging the NA back end or the sharper fender lines.
    I really hope all of this negitive feedback leads to a model change perhaps after the second year, to make it look like the Euro/JDM Mazda6
  • I hope Mazda makes the necessary changes to the front before the car goes on sale. It is basically the front grille, fog light position and headlight design that needs to be changed, that should not should not take that much effort since it is not yet in production. I hope Mazda is seriously assessing the reaction to the spy shots.
    That is wishfull thinking. The ball is already rolling. It might be too late to change anything.
  • mpg60mpg60 Posts: 71
    Aviboy, it would seem you are somewhat disappointed with the NA version of the 6 also? To me it seems the version the rest of the world gets denotes more of the zoom zoom quality Mazda is so well know for.
    Well, I have to be honest, I was really excited when the JDM Mazda6 / Atenza made its debut. I really thought Mazda did a great job of evolving the Mazda6 into an even more sportier mid sized sedan, while making some great improvements in handling, fuel economy, and overall build quality. What's not to like about that? Now, we see what changes were made for the North American market. I am not too upset by the front, for it mostly stayed the same, but, you can tell the differences, like the smaller, less sexy headlights. I still like the JDM front end better. What really disappoints me is the rear. What the heck happened? I do like the exhaust set up, but, the tail lights, trunk just don't seem to go with the car.

What I really don't understand is why? I had a rep at my dealership today, and I missed the opportunity to ask about this.

Now, I do think there ar some positives. It seems that the interiors will be the same. That's a good thing. Also, it does not appear to be that much bigger then the JDM one. I am also pretty sure that we are getting Mazda's 3.7L V6 w/ 270hp and 267tq, while getting pretty good fuel economy at 19-27. The 4-cyl engine output is still unknown. Also, I believe we are getting a 6-speed manual as the tranny for the 4 cyl engines. That is a great move.

I will reserve my final judgment until I get to see the official photos, which I will get to see pretty soon. Regardless if I had never seen the JDM version, I still would dislike how the rear looks. The front end I could live with.
  • I actually think the rear looks better than the Euro spec while the front looks much worse.

In any case, the Euro spec 6 has been generating a lot of positive buzz... I wonder why they went for the change. Did they have to make room for the larger V6? Are the changes to accommodate the slightly larger vehicle?

For Mazda this could've been a breakout hit, a bigger success than the 3 has been.

It's seriously odd though, when a car has been getting almost universal praise... you change it?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Well, between the US-spec bumpers (which are more stringent than Euro/JDM standards), and different requirements for headlight and taillights (heights, brightness, and angles), as well as fitting a 3.7L V6 that the rest of the world doesn't get, I'm sure the changes had to be made.
    Unless I am totally missing something, I don't see how the JDM lights would be illegal over here.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Unless I am totally missing something, I don't see how the JDM lights would be illegal over here.

US requirements differ from JDM requirements concerning headlight height (I believe the US requires them at a taller minimum height off the ground), brightness, and the angles they can legally work at. I bet Mazda needed to update the headlight cluster to better fit the US requirements.

Not to mention that the US requires added reflectors as well, which is one reason why the NA current-gen 6 taillights have the "Bulge" while the JDMs do not. There's an added red reflector off the side of the taillight housing on NA cars that JDM cars do not require.
    Not to mention that the US requires added reflectors as well, which is one reason why the NA current-gen 6 taillights have the "Bulge" while the JDMs do not. There's an added red reflector off the side of the taillight housing on NA cars that JDM cars do not require.

I have the JDM tail lights on my 2005 Mazda6, and the ones I have don't have the bulge, but, still have the red reflector of the side that wraps around the side. I really think the bulge was part of the styling. Most every other car has rear lights with no bulge, Mazda could have done the same. Just my .02