Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• Has it always done this or just recently? How many miles?
  • Van has 150,000 miles. It started 1.5 years ago at +/- 120,000 miles. I took it to the honda dealer at that time and was told to wait until it got worse (it has) as without a code, they would have to take the transmission apart to figure out the problem---big money to make a diagnosis according to the dealership.
  • First of all when you go to a dealer they should be able to drive the vehicle and be able to diagnose what is going on. Why would they pull the transmision apart to find the problem when this is a known problem. When they drive it and know it is the transission. You do one of two things you have the transmission rebuilt or you put in a remanufactured one from Honda. Just another way to stick it to you at a dealer. I have an 05 and bought it knowing the problems with these transmissions. Still love the van and thank goodness that my husband works on Honda/Acura. We rebuild these transmissions ususally around the 100k mark but have seen them go to 200k as well. Never know.
  • Dropped off my 2011 Odyssey for transmission issues. Dealer acknowledged Honda knows problems exist, but would not put that in writing. I am supposed to get a call when they have a software fix or new part. Less than a year old, rethinking my Suburban sale. This issue appears to have been around forever. Wish I would have researched better....potentially loads of money down the tube.
  • I noticed the 2011 issues being reported on this site as well:

http://www.odysseytransmission.com/ProblemCases/2011Page1

You should add your case there too.
  • well tell me then, how long have you been working on cars/vans professionally. i have 25+years in the field.driving habits will surely affect the life and function of a transmission undoubtedly. A transmission can burn up in the matter of minutes. So on a cold weather start up, one could easily destroy a clutch pack by not letting the fluid circulate and heat up. The post above Most transmission designs dont allow lube flow in park position, but will provide needed lubrication in neutral. 3 to 5 minutes at idle in park or neutral will not only prolong the life of the trans, but will also prolong the life of the engine as the same principals of cold thick oil apply.this has always been the case, as some transmissions have a temperature controlled fluid bypass valve that actually allows the clutchs to slip a bit more when cold as to heat up the fluid faster by way of friction.other systems dont allow the torque converter to lock up as to heat the converter and fluid up faster so the converter clutch wont get damaged from fully applying. when the friction material(tcc clutch) is cold, it is hardened and brittle, same goes for all the other clutch packs. So yes, driver habits have a lot to do with the reliability of the transmission. there are always defects when you make millions of vehicles and that should definately be addressed and resolved in a better manner than what honda is doing. If you dont get satisfaction from the dealership you have your car at, than go to another dealership. I personally will never buy a new car, never work at a stealership(dealership). The last new car i bought was in 07, a pontiac grand prix GXP and i had to sue gm because it was a lemon. I know first hand how devious and ridiculous the dealership and auto company can be. i wouldnt have them service my lawnmower, let alone any of my vehicles after the treatment i recieved. i sued, and won the case. If i treated my customers like that when i rebuild their transmissions i would be out of business. i warranty everything i service/repair and i perform the upgrades that honda and others cant/wont perform.Every transmission has its flaw. even the toyotas that a lot of people praise here. Toyota has a gear train assembly built with a non replaceable undersized thrust bearing. when that fails the gear train is 1100 bucks on top of the cost of the standard rebuild.These also fail prematuraly at low mileage, and others last 100k.So one just picks their poison.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Posts: 490
    If you are talking about driving habits meaning trashing the vehicle & flooring it on every launch then I agree with you. Although my former company had a fleet of Camry's that were driven rough & were rock solid reliable.

My wife & I are careful drivers and service our Odyssey at all required intervals. Actually, we change the transmission fluid every 30k miles which is above the factory recommendation.

I think you are misinformed that only a few dozen people are having transmission problems due to poor driving habits. This is our 3rd Honda since 2003 with a bad transmission.

February Motor Trend is reporting hard shifting and torque converter judder at 15k miles. Is this another so called "driving habit problem"?
  • evinesevines Posts: 1
    Bad driving habits don't explain why my 2012 Touring Elite is displaying this behavior after only 268 miles. In fact, I noticed it during the test ride with 2 miles on the van, but couldn't reproduce the problem until after I brought it home. This is a design flaw by Honda.
  • I am on my 3rd failed transmission from Honda with my 2001 Odyssey. It seems they go out every 60,000-80,000 miles. The first two were replaced with a fight all the way, but nevertheless replaced. Now they absolutely wont replace it because they go by the cars milage and years, not the transmissions. I'm so frustrated and definitely would like to be a part of a class action suit if it ever comes to be. I have 3 children and thought this would be a wonderful family car, and assumed reliable since it's Honda, but I have been hugely dissapointed. I want to know if there is anything I can actually do. It's not fair for a large coorporation to make the consumer who believed in their product suffer and have to deal with this. I have been out of a car with 3 children, including and infant, for 9 mo now. Very sad this can happen with no reprucussions. I want to do something about this, not just for myself, but to not let them get away with this.
  • :confuse: Is it only on the 6-speed Touring models that this occurs or does the 5-speed models have the problem, as well?
    :confuse:
  • I share your frustration. Be sure to share your story on the Honda facebook page. There are still consumers that believe this vehicle is a great vehicle. The best thing is to hit Honda where it counts...the pocket book. If you share your story with as many consumers as possible this will certainly send a powerful meesage. There are still having tranny issues with the 2011/2012 models.

http://www.facebook.com/hondaodyssey
  • Based on the numbers you provide, you have gotten around 200,000 miles (3 times 60-80K) on your 2001 Ody, without having to pay for a transmission replacement. If that's correct, I'd say you've done great. Car parts wear out, and don't last forever. Sounds like it's time to buy another vehicle. (Our 2006 has 125K on it with no problems yet, so not all Ody's are bad.)
  • I have a 2012 Odyssey that I purchased in October 2011 that is having the same problems. The engine lugs when accelerating, the eco light is on and off constantly and causes the car to vibrate terribly, once when we had been driving all day we stopped at a traffic light and the car would not go when my husband accelerated, then finally lurched forward and started. We had five lights that we had to stop at on the way home and it did the same thing each time. At this point we had owned the car for about a month. We took the car in the next day and of course it was not doing it anymore. We have now had it happen 4 more times. We took it in after the 3rd time again and a technician had me take it out and tell them what was happening. He agreed that there was hesitation on acceleration. He told me that Honda was working on a fix for this and the he would call me to bring it in when they had the software update. This was December 15th and I still have heard nothing. I think it is the torque converter. I am a realtor and actually had a client that I was taking out for showings ask me to take them back to their car so they could follow me, they did not feel safe in my car. I just called them again and told them that it needs to be fixed now. I traded in a Ford Expedition and feel the same as you, wish I had kept it. I traded it in because it was almost at 100,000 miles and did not want to have to deal with maintenance issues. I have had more on the BRAND NEW HONDA than I ever did with the Expedition. :mad:
  • Add our van to the list. 90k miles and the transmission started slipping badly yesterday. Wife almost got stranded with our 4 children on the way to school, luckily she wasn't far and limped home at 15mph as it would not shift out of 1st. 2001 Odyssey with less than 90k miles.
  • It turns out the the van was slipping in/out of gear between 3 & 4. We had to have the transmission re-built for a cost of $2,000 from a local shop with much experience rebuilding and replacing Odyssey transmissions. He compared Honda van transmission problems to the Chrysler Van transmission problems that Used to Be common (based on what he sees at his shop). He's redone many Odyssey transmissions lately.
  • Just in case I missed it, what's the name of the local shop and is it part of a franchise? If so what is the franchise name?
  • charitykw is right to be angry. If this were a domestic vehicle that had it's transmission replaced 3 times, there would be a huge uproar on the forum. Unfortunately, some models have a worse performance (statistically) than others. All major OEM's are designing for a 200,000 mile life and a failure at less than 150K miles shows there's something wrong in either design or manufacturing. Don't drink the Kool-Aid, they all have their winners and losers.
  • Maybe now they are designing for 200K, but that 2001 Odyssey was designed in 1999-2000 timeframe, 12 years ago. And most domestic 2001 vehicles would have been in the junk yard after two transmissions.