Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• jettafacejettaface Posts: 15
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner to your question. After the dealer told me $4K or so to fix, I went to this site and printed a number of these complaints with the happy ending of Honda America paying for the fix. I went to the dealership with a folder and plenty of printout of complaints. I advised the dealership that I would contact Honda America. That made the dealership nervous. They told me the District Manager was due in the next day and he would review my issue and I would receive a phone call. I didn't wait for a phone call. I went to the dealership the next day armed with my folder full of printout of these complaints and LORD and behold, the District Manager stated Honda America would pickup repair fee. ;) This site is wonderful and without it I would have been behind the 8 ball. Again, sorry so long in responding. I hope you had a happy ending too.

To others out there, do not fear about bringing this issue to light. Honda is well aware of the problem. The dealerships, I suspect, try to push back and get you to pay.
  • 2002odie2002odie Posts: 32
    Was your van actually noticeably leaking oil? Or did the dealer just tell you that it failed and needed replacing?
    Congratulations, you are one of the luckier ones, to not have to pay.
    I've seen other postings at odyclub.com for people who have had similar experiences to yours.
    It seems like Honda is playing the "one out of three get a tranny free" game.
    If I were you, unload the Ody after you get the new tranny, and find something else.
    You might not need to pay for the tranny now, but it will eventually become a money pit (motor mounts, idle air control valves, timing belts, and now I am hearing about rear main seals going out...)
    In my situation, I am stuck with it until I get my $3k worth of use out of it before trying to get rid of it...
    It's actually running pretty good now, but who knows how long that will last???
  • srickardsrickard Posts: 8
    We have had few problems with our 2003 Odyssey. Our dealer (Honda Cars of McKinney) has been great over the 5+ years we have owned the car. They have performed all service. My wife loves the van. However, 3 days ago the transmission failed. I was just barely able to get it to the dealer and they confirmed a transmission failure. The car has about 83K miles on it. I don't know the projected repair cost yet. I have opened a case with American Honda for assistance. Wish me luck!
  • I suppose your new tranny only comes with 1 year/12,000miles warranty because my case manager told me after my transmission was replaced that I only had to pay for labor as my new tranny came with a 3years/36,000 miles warranty. My new tranny died in less than 2 months and I only had driven it for 1,300 miles. If I were you, I might just trade it for an American car like a Dodge which comes with lifetime powertrain warranty. I traded mine for a Dodge after my tranny went out on me and I was too tired to work the warranty and didn't want Honda to rip me off for something else.
  • Great Result - Congrats - I fought the same battle with my 02 and it was ultimately Honda Corporate that told me they wouldn't offer any assistance at all.

The hitch issue mentioned above is also a good point; I put a hitch on my Van to haul my trash cans to the road in a little trailer - only ended up using it a few times and then just bought a truck.

Maybe the dealer saw the hitch and just said no dice on that note - anyone with this issue remove your hitch before you bring it in; I hope Honda gets what they deserve on this issue - American carmakers would be lambasted for handling such an issue so poorly with such a clear design issue.
  • i saw that someone on this forum was able to get their transmission replaced by honda america. right now my car is at a mechanic (not a honda dealer) and it isn't under warranty. is it worth is to ask honda america to cover this as well?
  • jal1948jal1948 Posts: 7
    I THINK THAT WE (THE AFECTED HONDA OWNERS) SHOULD CONTACT THE MEDIA TV/NEWSPAPERS ilustrating (in detail) all of this mess that have been brought upon us by Honda Motors.
    Most of us bought Honda vehicles based upon their reputation ...but sure had a rude awakening by experiencing this unexpected chain of events.
    Honda Motors abused ...and continues to abuse...all the afected customers by refusing to act responsibly and fairly with EVERYONE that had their transmissions failed due to A DEFECT on those afected transmissions.
    They are getting away with doing the barely minimum ,leaving thousands of inocent customer with little or no recourse of recovering their losses.
    The general public should be informed of this abuse!!
    Let's go about divulging the facts!!
  • I was left stranded yesterday with a failed transmission. It got to the shop today but with what I have found here, I feel that I already know where this is going to take me. We have 108k miles. My wife (her van) told me that she had previously discussed with the dealer that the D (DRIVE letter designation) was flashing and they told her that it was not a problem and that it would reset itself when restarted. We had purchased the 100k warranty and now it appears that they have postponed the inevitable just long enough to make it nearly impossible for us to win. Before reading these posts, I thought it must have just been a rare problem, but now I see that I have been duped. I am FURIOUS!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Just remember the lifetime warranty is non-transferable, requires an inspection every five years by a Chrysler dealer, and only applies to the engine and transmission- not bumper to bumper ;)

Other than that, enjoy your new car!
  • ehmgvsehmgvs Posts: 4
    Took it to the local Honda dealer and they quoted $922.00. They said this was not unusual at this mileage, 81K+. I beg to differ. Then took the van to a Honda/Acura repair shop. They confirmed the seal leak and quoted me $650.00....18 month/18k mile warrenty. Guess who I'm going with? This was my first Honda, bought new and may be my last, but I really do like the Ridgeline. We'll have to keep our eyes and ears open. Many thanks for your reply.
    The transmission my 94 Chrysler Concorde failed at 44K. I got no help from Chrysler and had to pay for the repair myself. It was the last Chrysler I'll ever buy. I traded it on a Prius. Now if only Honda will help with my Odyssey transmission failure...
  • I understand your frustration. Honda's attitude is just disgusting. They don't care about human lives or road safety. I don't really know if the media or the government cares about the people. I filed my complaint with Safer Cars, BBB, Department of Consumers Affair but without success. If the government does care, they would not have allowed Honda to continue selling these cars until they have corrected their design flaw. Their transmission design failure traced back to 1999.

The fact that the transmission could suddenly lock up which could result in deadly car crashes. Does anyone with the appropriate authority even care?
  • I understand your frustration. Honda's attitude is just disgusting. They don't care about human lives or road safety. I don't really know if the media or the government cares about the people. I filed my complaint with Safer Cars, BBB, Department of Consumers Affair but without success. If the government does care, they would not have allowed Honda to continue selling these cars until they have corrected their design flaw. Their transmission design failure traced back to 1999.

The fact that the transmission could suddenly lock up which could result in deadly car crashes is extremely dangerous. Does anyone with the appropriate authority even care?
  • nash1234nash1234 Posts: 22
    I have an 07 EX with 1000 miles on it and the transmission issues on this thread really bother me. I want to know if there are some driving habits that may be triggering the failures such as abrupt starts, driving near mountains, hills, or towing a trailer - just as a general idea so that I do not do those kinds of things when I drive mine (which is a shame, I paid so much money for the van and I should be able to drive it any way that I like).

Thank you.
  • Please let me know how you opened the case with American Honda. We bought an 04 Honda Odyssey from Driver's Way in June with just 42,000 miles on it. The transmission went kaput on me this past Thursday. It presently has 51,000 miles on it. We are due with our second child within the next three weeks so the timing is horrible! We took it to a transmission shop who told us to take it to Honda, informing us that the 04 Odyssey had a transmission recall on it. We were very appreciative of their honesty. The van has been wtih Tameron Honda here in Birmingham for two days. They said they are calling American Honda "for us" and not to worry about anything, whatever that means. They also called yesterday and said they have to find a way to replicate the code that happened when the transmission failed on me last week. They can see that something bad happened, they believe me, but they are required to find a way to replicate the code. I have a bad feeling about this. The transmission place told us not to replace the transmission with Honda if they will not pay for it becuase of the price. They quoted us no more than $3200 to replace the transmission, if we have to. We really don't want to nor do we have the money with a baby well on her way! Any suggestions for what we should be doing to speed things along or get Honda to take us seriously would be appreciated.
  • You can open your claim with American Honda by calling the 800 in your owner's manual. Before you call, you should read the postings here which would help you to support your case why you believe Honda should offer you with assistance. You can refer to my posting #510 to know what you can expect from Honda. There are tons of useful postings here that would help you to battle with them.
  • maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    If the government does care, they would not have allowed Honda to continue selling these cars until they have corrected their design flaw. Their transmission design failure traced back to 1999.

Angela, if you want to have an effect I'd go after Consumer Reports magazine on this one. Probably most of you bought your Odysseys because that magazine rants and raves about Honda and you believed them. I always felt you cannot know an autos reliabilty until it has been tested in the field in large quantities for a few years. Get a few miles on the autos before rating reliabilty - few autos have problems with less than 40,000 on them.

But CR STILL has Honda rated so very highly - including relaibilty and in particular this most recent issue praised its "power trains" LOL. Their "used cars to avoid" does not mention the Odyssey and they still recommend this minivan. How does anyone know what the newer Odysseys will be like for transmissions? Do their previous models have a good reputation that they could predict stellar reliabilty for them? Don't you think that as the newer ones with the same transmissions get more miles behind them, that they should expect problems too?

Instead of blaming the government, you ought to write a nasty letter to CR about themselves, your Odyssey, and your personal experiences. This magazine claims it is for the consumer -- then make them do their job!! If you feel misled -- tell them.
    I contacted American Honda at 1-800-999-1009. I pressed the menu number for customer service. You will need your VIN. The lady asked a number of questions and gave me a case number. I was called back the next day by by an agent and asked a few more questions such as "where have you been servicing your Honda?" (in my case, always at the one Honda dealer). He then asked what I'd like them to do. I suggested that Honda pay for the parts and I'd pay for the labor. I thought this fair since I had gotten 5+ years and 82K miles of trouble free driving from my Odyssey. The agent said that sounded reasonable and he would contact the dealer. The dealer called me about an hour ago and said that the labor to replace the transmission would be $680. I am very pleased with this outcome as the original cost of transmission replacement was ~$3500. I was always professional when talking to American Honda; never accusatory; never angry. They treated me the same way. :)
    I don't believe any driving habits contribute to the failures.
    Mine died 2 blocks from home, going 20mph around a corner.
    It's a family van, not a hot rod, so it's pretty tough to drive it in any crazy manner given it's high center of gravity and curb weight...so any "normal" driving conditions (driving on any road designed for auto traffic, whether mountainous, or flat highway) should not have anything to do with it...now that's assuming that the transmission was properly designed to handle normal everyday driving...which is apparently not the case here...

Towing a trailer may be another story, if you exceed the total gross vehicle rating with the trailer in tow and a full passenger/cargo load, then all bets are off...

So, bottom line, it's not a matter of "if" just "when" your tranny will go out.
    I've seen others who meticulously maintained their trannys with fluid changes, services, etc., and it still died, and I've read of brand new 07/08 Ody's with less than 1000 miles have the tranny die...it's a lose/lose proposition...