Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    I just spoke to a transmission shop owner. He said he never have a Subaru come in for transmission problem. I don't know why Honda didn't learn and fix this. I saw 03, 04 Pilots are having same problems like the ODY.
  • I bought the VAN last year. have 22K miles on it. After my recent oil change my VAN started shaking at different speed. I came to find out that there was a recall on the car and they updated some software during my recent visit which caused my van to shake.

I just called to complain about the issue and now they are saying they need to replace torque converter..... guys watch out with Hondas.... the van is not even two years old and it needs torque converter replacement.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,461
    >After my recent oil change my VAN started shaking at different speed. I came to find out that there was a recall on the car and they updated some software during my recent visit which caused my van to shake.

Are you saying you took the car in for an oil change and they did other work on it without your knowledge or permission and that was a software update? The software update didn't work right and your van was shaking. Now it needs a torque converter, which may have been related to the reason they tried the software update in the first place but it's going to require a replacement instead of them fixing it, temporarily perhaps, with the software update?
  • you may be right but my point is .... my VAN is less than 2 years old and it is already showing bad transmission signs
  • After 3 weeks of calling and waiting I was granted a 50% reduction on a new transmission and "computer" for my 2003 Odyssey with 88,000 miles instead of the 25% off the price of the parts that was first offered. That brought my price for the repair down to $2300. The car works great now, but for how much longer? Can I get an extended warranty from a good company that will take care of this type of issue out to 200,000 miles?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Don't forget you're still $2300 lighter pocket due to not your fault but Honda's. I would tarde it in or sell it and step out of Honda's shadow.
  • Did your van start to shudder arounf 25 mph sporadically and then more frequently? Not sure what my problem is, but it sounds similar. I have an 04. Was the computer pronblem limited to 03? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
  • Wrightsville: Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your 04. I am have the exact same problem on my 04. I spoke to Honda and they said that my 04 was built after the tranny recall for the bad gear and that they have no record of these sorts of issues, officially. The guy that sold me the car new told me it could be the EGR value; sometimes they get clogged and need to be replaced, but that sounded to simplistic to me based on the shuttering that happens. The tranny fluid is good and is not low. Any info on your experiences will probably save me a lot of time and trouble, since it sounds like the exact same issue. Thanks.
  • Candyman---I've done a decent bit of research on this in the past few weeks. I'm not a mechanic by any means but the technicians with whom I've spoken have indicated that a clogged/dirty EGR valve can generate a shudder that is VERY similar to the early signs of a torque converter failure. Read this blog, and the comments/responses as well: http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/11/26/excessive-engine-vibration-with-eco-on-t- he-honda-odyssey-ex-l-and-honda-odyssey-touring/ . Two Honda technicians/service departments have diagnosed my '04 Odyssey shudder as being the "early signs of torque converter failure", not a clogged EGR valve. Both departments indicated that this is a fairly common problem with Odysseys...but that some go 3-4 years and 60k/70k miles with the shudder without causing additional problems. However...I've also read that if the converter fails, it can cause damage to the rest of your transmission, which can be a REAL headache. All of that to say...I think I'll end up repairing mine (just purchased it used from a dealer, so I'm going to negotiate to have most of it covered at no cost to me).

If it turns out to be the EGR valve, you might also check this article to make sure that it's done the right way (different vehicles shown, but same principle likely applies).

http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/11/25/insufficient-egr-flow-on-honda-and-acura- -cars-accurate-automotive-says-save-money-and-do-it-right-the-first-time/
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 226
    How many people have posted for the Odyssey transmission problems. This does not include in the count how many times one posted. For me that would be once, although I have posted more than once on this subject.
    Thank you
  • JasonWJasonW Posts: 8
    Hi,

I am having a couple of potential problems with my '05 Odyssey transmission that I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on.

The van has about 86,000 miles on it and I've started noticing the following couple of issues:

1) After being in park, and usually when the tranmission moves from 1st into 2nd, there is a brief sort of grind or scrape sound. This only happens when I've been in park before driving. The transmission seemingly shifts fine between all gears after the above occurence happens once (i.e. when repeatedly starting and stopping during normal city driving, etc.).

2) Not very often does it happen, but I've recently noticed what I guess is a temporary shudder when I'm lightly accelerating or maintaining speed. The shudder goes away when I let off the gas or accelerate more. When in cruise control on road trips, this issue hasn't occured.

Regarding #1, has anyone experienced this?

Regarding #2, my van is equipped with VCM. Since the tranmission is only acting up in the way I've described when the pedal is slighly pressed to maintain speed or slighly accelerate, could this issue possibly be related to the VCM which tends to switch between 3 and 6 cylinders when maintaining a certain speed?

Thanks for any help or advice offered,

Jason
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,430
    well, #1 sounds like the ABS self check. It is pretty noticable on our '05 EXL. It doesn't really have anything to do with being in park. The van does it every time it is first started, at right around (IIRC) 13 or 17 mph. This is normal.

#2 I am interested in. Ours does something similar recently. I also have an Acura TL with 150K on it that does the same thing, but more pronounced.

From some reading, the 2 things that seem to cause this are the torque converter, and a gunky EGR system. Not sure with the TC if it is the unit itself, or the clutch that locks/unlocks it. But I am certainly interested in finding out if you do!

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• I have an 05 EXL with about 98K on its third tranny.

I have experienced #1.

For the longest time I was experiencing #2 and always thought that it was the tranny, but I replaced the spark plugs about 500 miles ago and that seems to have been gone.

The car feels like brand new, now that I am running it with all synthetic fluids including tranny fluid and new plugs (after the new plugs, the cabin noise has significantly subsided).

Looking at one of the old spark plugs, I can say that the 100k tune-up is total BS from Honda. Seems like the VCM can't deal with spark plugs that are ready to be replaced. Next time I will replace the plugs wat 50K (bought the plugs from amazon at half price of what the dealers charge - same ngk iridiums that are oem for newer hondas and acuras. Had my dealer put those in for me.)

I also have an acura tl 05 with 70k and will probably replace the plugs about 75k.

If you do put new plugs could you please update here with your experience?

Hope that helps.
  • JasonWJasonW Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info guys.

I'm bringing the van in for some routine maintenance next Friday and I'll have the spark plugs looked at and probably replaced. I'll let you know if it solves the issue.

I think I will also have the tranny flushed. I'd like to know how the fluid looks ...and I'm interested in replacing it with synthetic, but should I use a certain type (after having found a good mechanic years ago, I no longer go to Honda for maintenance and I save a lot of money, while being confident of the quality of work done)?

By the way, can the torque converter be checked out easily to determine if it's working correctly? Or is it usually just replaced when it's suspected to be the cause of certain problems? Thx.

Thx.
  • Refer to my previous posts. After much research, I have settled for the Amsoil fluid but did not do the flush using the flush machine method. I had my Honda dealer put the Amsoil fluid in for me over 3 "drain and fill" method. The tranny has gotten smoother each time. I now have about 25K miles since the point I put in the amsoil fluid for the very first time and I am very pleased with the results.

BTW, make sure you ask for the old plugs back and see how they look.
  • verstoversto Posts: 1
    My Honda Odyssey 2003 Transmission finally gave out this columbus day weekend. Its been bad for about 3 years now and I figured I'ld run it till it died. Back at about 60K I took it to the dealer and they said the recall had been applied by the previous owner (I'm suspiscious). I asked for the name of the dealer where this took place and it mystiriously closed so no information was available. No fix was offered to me at that time.

Now at about 90K the transmission failed. I went back to the dealer and was happy to hear the service managers' kind words "Honday may cover the parts at 100% but you will pay for labor". Well that sounded great but the next day he said that Honda would only cover 50% of parts leaving me stuck w/ the rest of the bill. (very dissapointed). I would pay in excess of $3,000 wich included a new designed trans along with computer. So its obvious that thier initial design had problems.

I've read alot of familiar things on line. I wrote letters, made calls and ultimately was just making myself frustrated w/ this as all I got was the run around from Honda USA.

I think that w/ as much revenue Honda makes that this error should be covered by Honda 100%. It will be a sad day when someone gets hurt or dies due to this bad design.

Ive owned 5 Honda's in my lifetime. But because of this injustice I will spread the word and I'm going with Toyota from now on.
  • the van that will not shifting in overdrive if the engine is cold. But it will shifting went the engine warm up about 5 or 7miles of driven it but if the van sit a long time and it cold down then it will do it again
  • rikfrerikfre Posts: 57
    My tranny started to go bad. The D was blinking on the shifter display. Honda Corporate told me to go the dealership.For many reasons, I do not trust Honda dealerships. I went to a transmission shop locally that seems to be making a very nice living out of repairing Honda transmissions, It cost me $3000 and they gave me a generous warranty. They showed me the QUALITY clutch packs they was using and rebuilt the COOLING system of the transmission giving me a REAL tranny cooling radiator. I asked Honda Corporate to reimburse me and they refused stating that I did not go to a dealership. I have the old transmission parts showing the heat damage. If anyone hears of a lawsuit against Honda for KNOWINGLY selling vehicles with defective transmission (yes, they knew), please contact me thru this forum.
  • There is an attorney in NY taking names for a second lawsuit for 2002+ Odyssey's. Did you call them and give them your info? Supposedly once they have enough people they will file a class action lawsuit.
  • One day we just woke up and the gear shift on the steering column no longer required us to pull the lever toward us and then move it down into gear. Now it requires just a very slight pressure downward and it just ratchets through gear positions . Also, "D" no longer catches the downward movement and it can easily go down past it or pop up to Neutral or Reverse.

The dealer thought it was the 'shift interlock solenoid' wearing out. But everyone else who has that kind of problem is having it get stuck in Park, which we are not. I'm pretty handy and don't mind getting into it but I don't want to just throw parts at it until it is fixed.
  • Does anyone have the name of that attorney?
    I have a 2002 odyssey with 115,000 miles on it. For the last few months, my rpms rev really high and I can't increase speed past 15 mile per hour. This happens about once a day. My gear shifting is also sort of "clunky". Check engine light went on one day when I tried to accelerate up a hill but it seemed the car wouldn't switch to 3rd gear. Once I stop the car, everything is fine until the next day when it does it again. I'm assuming I have the same problem as everyone else. Not too happy about the thought of paying over $3000 to have this fixed if Honda has a problem they know about.
  • My 07 Odyssey with 27000 miles :lemon: has all ping service bulletins clunk pop sound bulletin performed cant be still same problem. Dealer decide to do software upgrade and guess what...... The same Judder"Honda Verbage" between 20-45mph the dealer has the car again 5 days later.. The worst part of all the torque converter is on back order...so that should tell you something about this major defect..Remember I have 27000 miles and not driven hard at all..now engine and tranny are cr@p.
    Not bashing just to hate(we love the Odyssey but not the major problems they will not admit to openly..
  • I have the exact same problem, with a 2002. We have 114K miles. What did you do to resolve your problem? I'm being told that they need to drop a new tranny into the van. Cost = $4,200, at a Honda dealership.
  • I recently had the transmission in my 2002 Accord (107K miles) fail. Typical symptoms recited here...studder going into 2nd gear, jumping in and out of neutral shifting from 2nd to 3rd, etc. Honda Customer Service assigned a case # and case manager to my request for a goodwill repair. Since I was the third owner, I knew it might take some time, but since the Honda Dealer in Franklin, TN was fine with me leaving the car there, and I had a vehicle I could borrow, I was in no particular hurry to get done quickly. After sending Honda my service records and the inspection sheet from where the car was sold as a Honda Certified Pre-Owned, I was told that Honda would reduce the cost of the repair by 50% (normal list price for a transmission replacement is $3900...Honda offered the repair at $1950). While I am hugely disappointed that Honda has these issues, I think the Dealer in Franklin and Honda Customer Svc gave me more consideration than most have received based on what I have read in this forum and others.

I tell you all that because, I also have an 04 Odyssey, which my wife and I purchased new in Sep-04. The van has just over 60K miles, and we recently noticed that when the engine speed was around 1500 rpm and the transmission was in 4th gear (typically between 25 and 40 mph on flat grade), the car would feel like the engine was missing. After further investigation, I have become convinced that the torque converter is jumping in and out of overdrive. Since the problem was getting worse, I decided to go ahead and do service on the transmission to see if it helped.

The service manual for both the 02 Accord and the 04 Odyssey recommend that you drain and refill the transmission fluid using Honda brand transmission fluid, then drive the car 20 minutes or more, then drain and refill, then drive 20 minutes, then drain and refill, then drive 20 minutes, then drain and refill. Because I could only drain and refill the transmission 3 times with one case of transmission fluid, I purchased a case of transmission fluid and did the first brand refill earlier this week. The symptom nearly disappeared after the first brand and refill. WOW! I did the second drain and refill yesterday and will do the final dran and refill today.

I highly recommend that, if you have not already, do the service I described above. Then do at least one drain and refill annually. More often if the transmission fluid is really dark and dirty. REMEMBER...Only use Honda Transmission Fluid and DO NOT do a flush using a machine that forces fluid into the transmission...HONDA strongly discourages transmission fluid flushes in user manuals and in other bulletins.
  • Did you all ever figure out #2? I've got the same problem....shutter just around 20 to upper 20's, every now and again the same thing at 40'ish. My local dealer told me it could be the EGR, I suspect the tranny though. It's been doing it since February, and is sometimes worse than others, but not always, and it still acts the same as when it first started most times. I need to flush the tranny, and from what I'm reading it looks like we shouldn't do the machine method, and perhaps should use synthetic, although I don't know if that effects any "goodwill" that may be forthcomming since my van has about 84K on it (although it only had around 74K when I first reported to Honda). Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Took mine ('04) to a Honda dealer and then an Acura dealer who works on local Hondas, in order to diagnose the mystery problem #2. Asked both to check EGR...both diagnosed as initial signs of torque converter problem, not clogged EGR valve. Service manager at Acura dealer is a family member and a stand-up guy, so I have no reason to not to believe the diagnoses. Haven't had the repair done (goodwill offer was to split the repair cost 50/50), but will update and let everyone know if that does the trick.
  • Thanks for the prompt response. Did any of the mechanics suggest flushing the tranny, or suggest if this may help to eliminate/alleviate the problem. Just curious. I was thinking of having this done at the dealership to establish a link with this particular problem.
  • kevo3kevo3 Posts: 4
    Heard from a friend his '07 Odyssey with similar Transmission behavior had some recall warranty work done at local Honda Dealership. Seems to have had the computer brain-box rebooted, but still experiencing a shudder under mild acceleration. I have mine in at the moment; the technician hooked up diagnostic tool, drove it and recorded electronically what was happenning. Up to this point my '05 had not been included in the current recall, but my service tech contacted Honda and e-mailed the diagnostic data to them; they're covering the replacement of the Torque Convertor. I made mention of the annual Trans-fluid change mentioned here, and he said it never hurts to change the fluid once per year, and confirmed the power-flushes available (at other shops) would likely cause damage. If you don't hear from me in the next few weeks, then the issue has been resolved satisfactorily. :D
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,430
    please don't leave us assuming. It would be nice if you could post back exactly what actions taken, and the result (and of course, how much it cost!)

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• Thanks for the reply. Did your tech guy mention if the 04's or 05's would eventually be included in any recall? Had you had your fluid changed prior to the problem? What did they charge you for the electronic diagnosis? Any info is helpful Thanks again.