Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    your car is 10 yrs old.......do you expect that Honda should do a free warranty for as long as you choose to own a car?
  • lgodfreylgodfrey Posts: 5
    If you had warranty work done on your car and it went out in a 1 1/2 yrs after would you be upset?
  • I'm not an expert, rfreitas, but I think I know my vehicle histories and reputations. In 2004, Honda came out with their 5-speed automatic transmission that eventually was used in all their models. The '04 Odyssey was the first Honda minivan to use this transmission, and their problems dramatically declined. Earlier model Odyssey's, like my 2000, used a 4-speed automatic. I just started reading these message on the Odyssey transmission problems, this evening, and I have to say I'm a bit shocked to find that current-model Odysseys (2007 thru 2009) are apparently experiencing problems again. I thought those demons were long-departed. Apparently not. HOWEVER, good service intervals and rational driving have kept my 2000 EX Odyssey moving without transmission problems ... so far. It has 150,000 miles on it, and I have the transmission serviced every two years - by Honda; nobody else touches it. Keep one thing in mind, though, in shopping for ANY minivan - no other passenger vehicle takes as much stress as a minvan. 4500 pounds heavy; add upwards of 800 pounds of people, plus 100-200 pounds of luggage, and you're asking a LOT from a vehicle, shaped like a truck, but engineered like a car !! ... You just can't treat 'em like a truck, 'cause they ain't ...
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,984
    your years are a bit off.

the 5 speed AT (for V6 modles) came out in the 2000 MY, at least in the Acura TL. I believe the Odyssey fot it for 2001 (at the latest). it did initially come out in 1999 with the 4 speed. But it had the 5 speed long before 2004.

The 2005 Ody redesign carried over the same basic tranny. In 2007, they switched to a different (more robust in theory) 4 shaft design 5 speed AT (basically the tranny from the Pilot).

The problems for 2007+ seem to be mostly related to the torque converter, which is a different issue than the main tranny failures on earlier models.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• autowriteautowrite Posts: 226
    My 2002 Odyssey was the first year the 5-speed came out.
  • nedlyjnedlyj Posts: 89
    Correct - the 5-speed AT was first available (on the Odyssey) on model year 2002 Odysseys.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,984
    it phased on over a couple of years for different models. I thought 2001 was the first year. I know the 2000 TL was the first year the TL got it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• avucarguyavucarguy Posts: 56
    My brother in law has a 2005 Odyssey Exl +Navi + Dvd with over 90K miles. I helped him buy this van back in late 2004. He has no transmission issues. I had driven this van on several occasions, and it is way nicer than my 02 MPV.
    I have owned 3 Honda Accord in the past with automatics. My 94 and 99 accord does have hard shifting trannies, but there were nothing wrong with them.
    My 02 Mazda MPV transmission can shift hard too 1st to 2nd gear, but there is nothing wrong with it either. Honda automatics has hard shifting characteristics, especially if you are comparing them to GM transmissions. Being different does not mean broken. I understand earlier Odyssey 99-04 does have transmission issues, but a friend of mine at work has a 99 Odyssey with 140K+ miles with no transmission issues either. He used this van for his painting business, it looks beat up, but runs fine.
    Make sure you have your transmission fluid change per Honda recommendation or more frequently. Keep up with routine maintenance and your var will last much longer.
    If you have issues with the transmission, bring it in and have it checked out, it will be documented by the dealer in case your transmission do break down in the future. Then use can use this to prove that you were having issues with the transmission, if it breaks down after the warranty period is over.
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Maybe I misread the message, but he was complaining that they replaced the tranny at 70K miles and then it failed again at 140K (and his title suggests the car is 10 years old). Then you somehow ask whether I would be upset after 1 1/2 years. Where did he say that?

Did he drive 70K miles in 1.5 years? Is he a taxi driver? :confuse: ">
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,735
    No. The 2002 was a face lift from the otherwise 1999-2001 second series Ody. In 2002 the revamped model received a 30 hp bump due to a number of engine mods, the 5 spd tranny, side impact airbags, 7 spoke alloy wheels with 225/60-16 tires, a new grill, amber rear turn signals, suspension tweeks (new struts/springs), and some minor interior bits.

We initially were looking to buy an '01, but when we saw the preview sheet for the '02 for an additional $300, it was a no-brainer.
  • nedlyjnedlyj Posts: 89
    First, to answer the question: No, I wouldn't be. Second, this isn't the point. Warranty work is generally warranted for 30 days. However - Honda warrants their replacement transmissions for 3 years or 36,000 miles - not a bad replacement warranty. So, either my warranty was 30 days, in which I couldn't really be mad if it lasted 1.5 years, or my warranty was for 3 years, so it was still under warranty - and I still wouldn't be mad.

So, back to the initial points, if the original Honda warranty on a transmission is 60K miles, and they replaced it free at 70K miles, with a 36,000 mile warranty, even that takes you to an "actual" warranted period of 106,000 miles that was given. Fairly good I'd think. So, when the transmission is now bad at a total of 140,000 miles (and 10 years, including that the newer tranny also has 70K miles on it) why would we think we should get another free one now? Which car company says "we'll repair your transmission free for life, no matter how many miles you have on your car?" If Honda credits anything towards the new transmission after 140K miles consider yourself fortunate.

And yes, I too am on my 3rd transmission (replaced at 60K and 130K).
  • rfreitasrfreitas Posts: 63
    You are missing the point. People buy Hondas because they are supposed to be great quality. Why would I want to buy a vehicle where I would have to spend $3000 every 70k miles on a new transmission.. Honda provides a 36k mile warranty on the replacent transmission because they know the transmission will last to 70k miles, convenient...

I think they need to change the maintenane schedule to include "Replace Transmission every 70k miles" for the Odyssey.

Keep buying odyssey's, I am done with Honda!
  • svandre21224svandre21224 Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    95k miles and one week after the Honda Care warranty expired based on time (6 years), BAM! This is my fifth Honda, but my first Odyssey. I was told in 2004 that the AT trans problem was solved by the use of a oil jet for the 2nd gear, still got the warranty. Honda has known for years that the transmission used with V6 in all Honda and Acura cars, minivans, and MDXs was too wimpy for the HP and torque of that motor. Current models get the transmission from the Ridgeline truck. Wonder if my local T-shop can retrofit a Ridgeline trans to my 04?

BTW, got the "not our problem" answer from American Honda and the "Oh, tough luck" response from Honda Care, a sister company that Amer. Honda says is "not us".

My independent AT shop, that has been around for 50 years, will get the same Honda remanufactured trans from the Honda facility in Ohio through a distributor and install it for less (~$2K less) with a 3 year/100,000 miles warranty. Must have been a slow day in the repair department at the dealer for them to come up with $5900.00
  • donc67donc67 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 EX with 33000 miles on it. I have had the humming or droning noise, sounding like it is coming from the back because it was quieter with people in the back than when empty except for my wide and I. I even replaced the tires because they need it, but also with the hope that new tires would quiet down the noise as per other posts about old, worn tires were noisy. No go.
    Then, I recently was exiting an expressway at a higher than normal speed (this is my wife's van and we drive a little differently). I noticed that the noise increased as I went around the ramp and went back to normal on a straightaway.
    An "aha" moment arose...wheel bearings. Took it to my Honda dealer, out of warranty of course due to more than 36 mos. They replaced the left rear wheelbearing and the sound went away.
    Maybe this will work for some of you. Service mgr. said they hadn't had many of this problem come in and had not thought to try this before as most people, myself included thought it was a vibration of tranny, A-pipe,left front bearings, etc.
  • Here is the recent update about my car. Took it in again to Honda and the service tech ran some diagonistic test and used a camera to take snap-shots of what was happening. They told me they can see the problem and were going to put in a new transmission. Well then someone at Honda warranty center put a stop to that. They told my local tech that they know about the problem and a new tranny will not fix the problem. It is a computer "bug" that they do not have a fix for. They had the tech clear out the "memory" and suggested that sometimes fixes the problem. Well of course it didn't. So basically I have a car with 29k miles on it that is completely under warranty that they have evidence of a problem but can not fix it. As a consumer --were do you go from here! So FYI for all of you that your Honda techs are telling you it is just the car...it is not. They know about all these problems but have no fix for them. After 4 weeks of owning my car I'm about to trade it in but that just means the poor old soul who buys it will have to deal with it and I will be out thousands of dollars.
    They just want to wait till you are out of warranty, so you will have to pay for it... What year is it?
  • dylrexdylrex Posts: 57
    I've been monitoring this discussion ever since my van started to shutter which was around 36K miles. I was also noticing the rpm's would jump slightly around 1400-1500. I took it to the dealer right away and they performed the software upgrade. That didn't help one bit. The van was still doing the same thing the day I picked it up from the dealership. I took the van back in this past Saturday. The van currently has around 43K miles on it and the service advisor informed me that the torque converter is bad and will need to be replaced. The part is on order and should be in any day now. I'm hoping this will fix this annoying issue. Our lease is up in June and we're definitely looking to get another van but we're not sure it will be an Odyssey. I asked the service guy if they have seen any problems with the 2010 models and he said they haven't yet. Has anyone heard of this problem in the '10 models?
  • After repeated calls to my American Honda "case worker" and no response, I decided to fight the battle after the repair and had the AT replaced by my local, well respected transmission shop. Total cost for installation of a Honda remanufactured AT for my 04 Odyssey V6 with a 3yr/100000 mile warranty was $2,750.00 (AT, fluids, labor, and taxes). A little more than 1/2 price. Honda insisted on installing a control module, but the T-shop said they don't because they have never needed to replace one on that model Odyssey. Honda dealer's argument was that the module is matched to the transmission, so when the transmission breaks you need a new module. I asked the dealer's service rep what happens when the module breaks, do I need a new transmission? That sent him away muttering, as I lip read him calling me a part of the human anatomy.
  • That is what I keep thinking---it is a 2007. However, I now have evidence from the service tech that something is wrong with it now with 29k miles. The tranny is under warranty until 60k and I think the dealership realizes I'm not going away. I'm supposed to get a call after the tech calls Honda tech line today. Seems that my local tech is just as annoyed as I am. Tech line is having the local tech run in circles because ultimately there is no fix. I will continue to push but at some point I think I need to call a lemon, a lemon and ditch the car. Funny thing is the local dealer wants nothing to do with my car---a perfect condition, low miles, 2007 Odyssey!!!
    Have you seen the 2007's issues reported here:

http://www.odysseytransmission.com/ProblemCases/2007Page1

This site has transmission issue reported on just about every year since 1999. I don't see any 2010's yet, but they probably don't have enough miles on it yet...
    Odyclub.com has a survey running.
    http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c5768354a6b040f9e06ff1f1ac33d1f1&- postid=565428#post565428

At the top of this page it shows a chart of how many transmssions get changed - number of times, never, etc.
  • finny007finny007 Posts: 1
    Good afternoon all,

I recently spoke with the National Highway Traffic & Safety Administration (Part of Dept of Transportation that investigates recall issues) after Honda USA in Torrance CA refused to help out replacing the transmission/torque converter on a 2005 Odyssey Touring with 90K miles. I have owned 6 Honda's in the past 20 years and they still did not offer me any assistance.

Honda refused to extend any goodwill and replace the torque. Repair estimate is $2150 from dealership ... and they said they have done hundreds of torque converter replacements.

Class Action Suit or gov't issue recall is only thing Honda will respond too.
    Please call the NHTSA hotline 1-888-327-4236 and lodge a formal complaint. You can search # of complaints here:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm

Honda knows there is a problem but will not do anything unless critical mass is reached and enough people complain to proper channel. There are 20 complaints on file under Powertrain: Automatic Transmission.

Everyone has the same problem of whole van shuddering between
    20-45 mph. Please get the word out too, more people who reach out to the NHTSA better chance action will be taken. Pass along the phone and or URL above.
    - A former long time Honda owner.
  • stimmonsstimmons Posts: 2
    I'm the original owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey LX and I've been plagued with numerous problems on this vehicle. First of all, I've had two transmissions fail. The first one failed following the recall service in May of 2005 (69,228 miles). The Honda service dealer indicated that I had not serviced the vehicle properly, since I had gone elsewhere to have my servicing completed. After retrieving all my records across town, I was able to prove to Honda that I had properly maintained my transmission/vehicle. Honda replaced the transmission 100%. It is now 4/2010 (just under 162,000miles) and the engine check light came on with P0740 code (Torque converter solenoid clutch open). Needless to say, the dealer replied that the transmission failed and had to be replaced. The initial negociation between the dealer service manager and the regional service manager resulted in a total price of $3641.00 for full replacement and labor. According to the dealer service manager, the discount was about 10% from Honda and 13% coming from the dealer. I'm trying to negociate with the service manager to only pay a total of $2800. He indicated that he would try to get it down to $3000. He is still crunching the numbers.....Well he came down to $3300! I'm having it rebuilt elsewhere. :lemon:

Meanwhile, I've also been plagued with other issues:

-the haudraulic door motors and rollers failed after 5yrs

-the vent window motors failed after 2 years

-the front console electrical system is quirky. ie. the fuel indicator and the coolant temperature indicator displayed high coolant temp. when the fuel level fell below half.
  • Upon reading many of your postings regarding this issue, I can't help but feel discouraged by the kind of response most of you are getting from Honda America. Based on these inconsistencies, avoidances, and the fact that these transmissions were made in Japan, my first inclination is to write a scathing letter to the CEO of Honda in Japan. I recommend that everyone do the same thing, and while you're at it, CC your C-man. While many of our corporate leaders are desensitized to their own lack of integrity, many of the Japanese corporate leaders still possess an honorable sense of shame. This may serve us better since their inclination will be to restore our confidence in them, thereby saving face in our eyes...
  • a_rhymera_rhymer Posts: 1
    We had the issue where the TCS light would light up for the past several years, but were told 'not to worry about it'. We could never get the light to be on when it was at the shop, since it was sporadic, and would reset when the vehicle was turned off and back on. Since we were the second owner, we didn't get notified of the recall or extended warranty by mail, and the dealer certainly didn't tell us anything of the sort.

Now, at 111,000 miles, the transmission clunks when shifting in the higher gears and the 'check engine' light is on. Took it by a local shop and they gave me the computer codes to why the 'check engine' light was on and the 'torque converter' is going bad, just like on the recall. My Honda shop, where I bought the van, tells me we have to wait and see what the Honda rep says. If they refuse to pay any of the cost then it is NOT considered warranty work, and we won't even be able to get a replacement transmission, period. We will have to, quote, "try and track down a used one or rebuilt one." So on top of all of this, I'm now finding out that the transmissions are going for a premium, because of high demand?? This is bull.

AND, this was our 'good vehicle', the one we paid more for, took extra good care of, relied on to transport our kids around. It has been sitting in the shop now for almost a week, and the Honda rep hasn't even returned my dealer's calls about my case. My wife is currently pregnant and having to get the kids around in a broken down POS vehicle we borrowed from my parents.

Sure, Honda is beyond the warranty period for my van, but the reason I paid a premium for this van, around 4 or 5 grand more than I would have paid for any other of the same year and specifications, is because I thought I was making an investment in quality and longevity; stupid me. I'm thinking my next vehicle will be a cheaper American built rig. I can use the money I save in price to fix whatever goes wrong down the road. This was my first Honda... looks to be my last.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Just a word of advice:
    I would definitely not put in a used transmission. Go either new or rebuilt. If I remember correctly some other posters have had luck going to independent shops to buy rebuilt transmissions.

With the failure rates on these transmissions being as high as they are, you could put in a used one and have that fail shortly after installation.

See what the Honda dealer says, but also look into an independent shop to rebuild/replace the transmission.
  • vanwaanabevanwaanabe Posts: 15
    I am the original owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey. It has 135K miles on it. I've been taking to Honda of Bowie (MD) for 7 years (its never been serviced anywhere else). Around 4 years ago at least my wife starting complaining about a "juddering/shuddering/slipping" at 45 mph. We'd take it to the dealer and they "could never find the problem." Finally the transmission has really gotten bad and now they just "found the problem" and can fix it for $4500. I am deeply disappointed in Honda and this dealership. They both have known this is a chronic problem and never told us. Needless to say this is not why I bought a Honda. My advice, is stay away from the brand. They are following Toyota by compromising quality for volume. :mad:
    I am also a 2002 Honda Odyssey owner who had to have the transmision (180,000 kilometers) replaced for a huge sum of money back in 2007. I went ahead with the replacement, BUT I also wrote to the President of Honda Canada and outlined all the problems leading up to the troubles. I was polite in my snail-mail letter (not email) and was reimbursed one-half the invoice amount. Go to the top boss. Find out who is the President of Honda America and write to hime directly (not email). You might save some money in this approach. OH.....if you do get a reimbursement send out a Thank You letter to him or her.
  • Hello everyone, I wanted to share my facts with all of you fellow Honda Odyssey owners. My wife and I own a 2001 Honda Odyssey that had its 3rd transmission just go out so, we are asking Honda for #4 in 200K miles. We are averaging 50K miles per transmission.

Facts: Everyone knows Honda had serious design flaws within the transmission in these vehicles. Honda did what they should do, replaced it 3 times. Now, the vehicle has literally no residual value.

Transmission 2: Honda made no significant design modification to the transmission whatsoever and only replaced it with the exact same transmission after the first one failed. I know this for a fact because I asked Honda and investigated it.

Transmission 3: Honda made some very minor internal changes like increasing the size of the orifice within the tranny somewhere but there is no way to know oif your vehicle actually has an old design or new design????

LEGAL: If you have the old tranny, even beyond your warranty, you have legal recourse. Do NOT listen to Honda. Sue them collectively or alone in small claims court. Tell the judge that Honda breached the warranty by knowingly replacing your transmission with one that would also fail because they did not modify it to rectify the design flaws.

Furthermore; You can sue for Breech of Warranty and violation of the Deceptive Trade & Practices Act. The DTPA says that misrepresentation of fact or warranty is an unconscionable action. It takes advantage of the general public's knowledge or ability or experience with transmission design to a gross degree.

Put another way, Honda took advantage of us all. They did not thoroughly re-design a long term fix for the replacement transmissions and most people have no concept of engineering to know that Honda 's lack of diligence to modify and THOROUGHLY test the transmission modifications left thousands or millions of Odyssey Owners with defective merchandise that Honda no longer wishes to replace under warranty.

Additionally: What does this mean: If Your new tranny has less than the Honda warranted 109,000 miles that Honda offered you due to a class action lawsuit settlement, you can sue. The warranty Honda extended was extended on the whole vehicle and Honda hid the fact that replacement transmissions are NOT warranted to another 109K miles. So, you could own an Odyssey, put 3 tranny's in it all under 100K miles and get the 4th one at 109,100 miles.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN: Sue Honda. Demand in court that the show record that the transmissions they replaced in your vehicle were modified in any way and no simply replaced. Make them acknowledge that their was a design flaw (They will say no) and then cite the thousands of others who have had the exact same problem.

Finally: The best thing you can do is blast it all over the net. Start a posting war. Make Honda know that you are telling people NOT to buy Honda! The Odyssey transmission is CRAP. Even in the new Odyssey the tranny is junk. It has fewer issues but is still problematic.
  • Don't ever buy a Honda again! They don;t honor their stuff! NO HONOR! Honda Odyssey's are trash!