Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• minimommyminimommy Posts: 13
    Are the Odyssey and Pilot transmissions the same? I see from the Pilot forums that Pilot transmissions also seem to fail. Thank you.
  • g3guyg3guy Posts: 31
    I've read that they are, as are the transmissions in the Ridgeline pickup. I can't recall where I saw it; it was probably earlier in this forum, but I'm fairly sure that it is true. Enough to keep checking on it, anyway. If I find otherwise, I'll post it.
  • mira1mira1 Posts: 2
    My Honda Odyssey '04 model has flashing 'D' problem and requires replacing 4th gear switch. The vehicle has run less than 70K miles. Should we expect this to be treated as part of warranty? We never received any recall notice on transmission problems and were shocked (and embarrassed for not knowing earlier) to see all these postings on transmission problems. Any suggestions on how I should approach this problem? Is it safe to drive the car until it is fixed? Thanks.
  • mira1mira1 Posts: 2
    On further research I found the following. I bought the van after recall date and hence no recall notice, I believe. They should have fixed any problem before selling it to me.

RECALL: 2002 - 2004 Honda Odyssey
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 04V176000 www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Manufacturer AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
    Recall Date: 04/15/2004
    Potential Number Of Units Affected: 1099796

Description POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Summary ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.

Consequence GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
  • It'a a bummer that people have had transmission issues. I must say that I LOVE my 2000 Odyssey. I was annoyed when we had to replace the transmission too. However, I must so that we had 174,000 miles on it. The serviceman who typically works on our car from Honda assured us that there were no other problems with the car and that it would be worth it...and yes, it was.

That was 3 yrs ago and we literally got 241,000 miles on the car today. I trust the car fully and would take it on a road trip with no hesitation. We have some friends who also have the Odyssey (couple of yrs younger) and they have been very pleased too.

Service it regularly and I am sure it's cheaper than a new car note.
  • vanwaanabevanwaanabe Posts: 15
    Folks who have been screwed by Honda: realize few people read this site. We can commiseruate with each other how Honda has screwed us, but I suggest you let future Honda customers know how Honda screws their customers. There is a Honda Odyssey site on Facebook. Post your stories there.

In my case, we spent $4000 to fix our transmission, it didn't last 300 miles. Took it back to Honda of Bowie, MD, who did the original fix and now they can't "replicated it."

We'd been complaining about this for years and guess what, Honda of Bowie could never replicate the problem while it was under warranty. The moment it went out of warranty, they found it!

This time, same thing. They can't find it. No attempt to disassemble the transmission and find the problem.

Contacted Honda Corporate and they told me "not our problem."
    Post on your stories on FACEBOOK. Facebook has an Odyssey page and a Honda page. Facebook will give this more exposure. You want FUTURE customers to understand this is an issue to. Not just us poor saps that Honda is blowing off.
  • dragonlady3dragonlady3 Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    My 2000 Odyssey went to 185,000 miles before needing a new transmission. It is now at 221,000 and doing well. I feel lucky.

I would like to know what other models/years have a transmission problem or other serious defect before I buy another Honda. If not Honda, Toyota, then who do we buy from at this point?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,944
    Odyssey was the most common it seems. But Accord and Acura TL both had issues too. Primarily though it was the V6 models. Not sure if it was a different unit, or just dealing with the higher HP.

It really does seem that Honda took an undersized and poorly designed tranny and tried to use it with bigger engines and heavier vehicles, causing a spat of failures.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• r93401r93401 Posts: 2
    We brought our 2008 Honda Odyssey in to have the transmission checked and they ended up replacing our Torque Converter. After that they ended up adding one more bios update. The van runs great! We are very happy that Honda did not give us a bit of trouble on this. They were proactive. I'd buy another one. Whew!!!
  • johnboy18johnboy18 Posts: 9
    I JUST HAD MY 03 ODYSSEY IN TODAY 06-12 10 IN FOR ITS 107000 MILE TUNE UP. BELTS PLUGS TIMING BELT WATERPUMP REPLACED. THIS IS THE FIRST MAJOR REPAIR IN 8 YEARS. LOVE THIS VAN
  • sham1sham1 Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    I'd like to know the FACE BOOK page - can't find it and I'd love to post on there - any ideas? Also - my earlier post got rejected because of a "third party" email -- so here it is again if anyone cares ...
    #1487 of 1503
    Trip off, trans. failed, trade ruined!!! by sham1
    Jun 02, 2010 (10:49 am)

This in reply to :
    (2002 Blue NA Posted: 05/17/2010
    You have probably heard this one, but if enought people make safety (a failed tranney at high speeds and/or heavy traffic is very unsafe!) complaints to NHTSA perhaps they may be forced to take some responsibility. There is also a lawfirm that you can register your complaint for a possible new class action lawsuit. EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT THE ADDRESS! :sick:

*This is to the attorney's address that is "maybe" gonna take on a class action suit and what I mailed to him:
    ***I got your email address in a forum today from reading over all of the problems people are having with their Honda's transmission. Well, we should be at Kings Island right now as I speak. My whole family was on the way there when about 25 minutes or so into the ride- our check engine light came on. Then - a few more minutes later, maybe 10-15 - the TCS light on the dash came on! Scare the **** out of me and I told my husband who was driving - please stop and let's check it out but before I could get the sentence out - all of a sudden the thing started jerking like a bull and the rpm's reved up real loud and we lost power and it kept jerking and kept jerking - SCARED ME AND THE KIDS TO DEATH!! We were on the highway - none the less - with the cruise on. Now - we bought this Honda from a dealer brand new with 10 miles on it and it's only got 91,000 on it now! I can't believe this happened. The whole reason we paid $30,000 for a van was because it WAS a HONDA!!! As they say, if I had known then what I do now - .... obviously we would have NEVER bought it! Anyway, we got off of the next exit 143 to a gas station/truck stop and my husband went inside to see about getting some transmission fluid but they didn't have any. The engine was all wet under the hood and the transmission fluid was low but we had no choice to turn around, cancel our Kings Island fun day, and head home (hoping and praying that we would make it)! We got back on I-74 and I called our Honda Dealer where we bought it (Bob Rohrman's Indy Honda) service department and explained to a service tech. what happened and he basically said to pull over - call a tow truck and bring it in so they could look at it! That's it!!! That's all he said! NO - let ME call a tow truck for you and bring you a rental - NOTHING!!! We obviously couldn't do that - we aren't made of money - plus - 6 of us can't fit in a tow truck!!! Again - we paid $30,000 for this van brand new, babied the **** out of it, always kept it maintained and clean (heck - we even had seat covers on it ever since we bought it cause I didn't want to ruin the seats cuz of our kids and grand-kids - especially when we go to alot of ballgames! - and we had plastic on the floors under the mats up until March of this year!) So, anyway, we started to head back only doing about 50 cuz the rpm's were way up there so we had the flashers on and made it down the road to the next exit in Greensburg where there was an AutoZone and my husband bought some transmission fluid. We have that receipt too! We put that in and slowly and ever so carefully made it back home where it now sits in our driveway - I am very sad cuz it was my baby and now ... we have a major dilema.

**** We had just decided last week that we were going to trade it in on something newer while we could still get a good deal out of it since it was so exceptionally clean and taken care of. In fact, we had decided to trade it in on another vehicle yesterday but by the time we got everything done - the banks were closed. Our salesman knew we were going to Kings Island and is awaiting our call for us to come back out to trade it in once we got back and we were going to do that tomorrow! Now what? Now what are we going to do? There is no way the dealer will want to take our van on trade now with all of these problems! What are we to do now??? My husband is on vacation this week and believe me - this is NOT how he wanted to spend it!! He has put a call into the salesman but I can guarantee you - it is gonna cost us several thousand dollars on our trade now - IF THEY WILL EVEN TAKE IT!!! We are wating to hear back. I have video of the lights on if you need that. Oh - I forgot to mention - while all of this was going on - the "d" for drive light started flashing too and when we pulled into the truckstop/gas station - we then realized we had lost our Reverse gear too! No kiddin! We had to manually push ourselves backward out of the parking space!! Imagine that!!! Anyway, what do you recommend from here? Please help!!!

** So to follow up ... we finally found someone who would take it - gave us $3,000 for it for parts and we ended up buying a Ford. Too bad you cant rely on Honda any longer - or really ANY vehicle anymore because when you look at it .... there is not one single vehicle that is truly american made - with every component in it being made in america which is the only reason we bought the ody in the first place since it was considered to be the best, safest, most reliable, dependable, etc.... yada yada yada - obviously the truth is - you can't believe jack sh*t anymore from ANYONE!!! Just sad! Why is it now "abnormal" now to be what was used to be considered as "normal"? My moto now is ... "Abnormal is now the New Normal ... Normalcy is now the minority!"
    :mad: :( :confuse: :sick:
  • Did you have to pay for the new transmission or did the dealer help with the cost
    edited June 2010
    I have an Odyssey. For the last 3 years we've been complaining about the transmission slipping (while it was under warranty). Honda of Bowie could never "duplicate" the problem. It went out of warranty, bingo, they could duplicate the problem. They wanted $5000 to fix it. Reluctantly, we had them fix it. 300 miles after the fix, the transmission fails. I bring it in. Its under warranty. Guess what, yep, they can't duplicate the problem. They ask me to come in and ride with one of their techs. I put the car in drive and nothing happens, RPMs just go up. The tech laughs and says, yep, there it is. He then admits he could only get it to "flare" at 45 mph (hmm, I thought you couldn't duplicate it). We walk back and the tech says to the service manager, "yep, I saw it. He added gas and nothing happened." Service manager says "looks like we need a new transmission." So I leave. Just got a call from the Service manager's boss. Wait for it. "Ah sir, we can't duplicate the problem."

HONDA SUCKS
  • madmommy3madmommy3 Posts: 28
    we have an 01 MDX with same problem we barely drive it after dropping $3500 on a new tranny and radiator with 72K miles on the car. We also have an '08 Oddessey and I am praying it doesn't tank before the warranty is up. I am done with Honda and Acura after this van. going back to Ford and always getting an extended warranty, something I haven't worried about until now. Their customer service is terrible. check out the MDX tranny complaints as well, they are a million. I am guessing it's the same for the Pilot since they are similar vehicles.
  • jvhwoodjvhwood Posts: 8
    Madmommy3;
    Please read my post #758 on my sad Honda experience. Here is a suggestion on saving a bundle on the extended warranty and extended service contracts. Honda offered us $1000 trade in on our 2002 E XL with all the options. This was July of 2008. The Honda was in the process of losing the second tranny. We went across the street to Toyota and got $6000. tradein plus $2000. discount for $8000. total trade in.
    We drove off in a loaded Toyota Sienna. 2 years later not one issue with the Sienna.

Extended Warranties and Maintenance Service contracts you can save big dollars on these by going online to purchase them. Get the best quote from your selling dealer be it Ford Toyota or whoever then go on line and search for extended factory warranties for the make model you are purchasing. In our case we found Toyota dealers across the country offering toyota factory products for dealer cost plus $85 to $100 for doing the paper work. We bought both the extended warranty and scheduled maintenance contracts and saved $1100 dollars on them under the dealer quote. We bought from dealer in Maine and our car is serviced in Southern California at the local Toyota dealer with no problems what so ever.
    Good luck with your Honda's their trannys are junk, and their refusal to stand behind their products will keep me from ever buying another Honda.
    Grand pa Jim
  • jeffg57jeffg57 Posts: 1
    Just spent $2,000 on 100,000 maintenance items only to discover two weeks later that my torque converter is bad. Honda dealer wants $5,400. We were planning to trade my wife's Mini Cooper for a "more reliable" Honda, but are reconsidering that idea. What a shame that Honda has this known problem and fails to address remedy the situation.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Posts: 144
    Have you seen this?

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-053.PDF

There is a lot of discussion about Honda Odyssey transmission problems in the Honday Odyseey vibration forum.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778
    5400.00 sounds very high for just a convertor!

Just curious, how long do people expect a transmission is a mini van to last?

100,000 miles?

200,000 miles?

Forever?

After being in the automotive field my whole life, I just have to wonder just what people expect? Seriously, I'm just curious.

Few cars have a rougher life than a minivan. Even a Honda will break given enough time, miles and abuse.
  • rfreitasrfreitas Posts: 63
    How long do you think they should last? Would you buy one knowing you had to replace the transmission every 70k???

They should put in the maintenance schedule replace transmission every 70k for only $3000.

You might want to start selling Toyotas.

Ex Honda buyer.
    edited July 2010
    Actually, I officially retired after 14 years last month so I really don't have a "dog in the fight".

You are definatly pushing things if you are saying that an Odyssey transmission only lasts 70,000 miles. Not the norm at all!

It's true, there were a few years that had far more troubles than people expect from Honda. honda stepped up to the plate and extended the factory warranties for a large percentage of these people. They didn't have to do this for out of warranty cars but they did. I watched Honda step up to the plate over and over again.

Maintenance schedule? It was the experience of our shop that a lot of the Odyssey transmissions that had troubles appeared to NEVER have had a fluid change in 100,000 or more miles.

Mini vans get called on to haul large families, pull boats and trailers and generally have tough lives in a lot of cases. I was only curious as to just how long a car has to go when a transmission failure is acceptable?

Oh, I could have sold Toyotas. They are a great car that I have always believed in. They too, have some transmission problems and seem to be subject to sludge and engine failures IF they don't receive proper care.

Someone complained that they had a transmission failure at something like 165,000 miles. That is why I asked if they expected to NEVER have a automatic transmission go bad?

Just asking out of curosity but if and when you find a car that NEVER breaks, let me know and I'll buy one!
  • jvhwoodjvhwood Posts: 8
    edited July 2010
    RE:isellhondas
    :lemon: Read my earlier post #758.
    First failure at 38,000 fix new tranny.
    Second failure at 102,000 fix new car (Toyota Sienna)
    Senior driver only no towing, maintenance freak always done on schedule.
    From 38K to 102K miles honda had a super tranny cooler installed and fluid changed every 15,000 miles. With all this it lasted 64,000. miles.
    Remember the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's when you could get them with a positraction rear end? Well honda only offers a POS tranny at no charge to all Odyssey customers I.E. POS = piece of sh**. :lemon:
    If you were in service instead of sales you would have first hand knowledge of the monumental problem these trannys were known for. Google this "honda odyssey transmission problems" If the 1,040,000 hits you receive doesn't wake you up, then dream on.
    Happy Toyota Sienna Owner
  • gavanmomgavanmom Posts: 32
    I've had three transmissions put in my van by our Honda dealer and I have 40000 miles on it. The first one was replaced after 1300 miles, next at 6000 miles and the last at 13000. These mileages are approx, I'd have to look up the actual miles. After all this and having my 2007 van out of commission for 9 months of the first 13 we owned it, Honda has a sour taste for me. All of the replacement trannys and the work done on my van left us with the same problem....... very hard downshift and broken engine mounts. Finally, after replacing the tourqe converter, again and two computer re programs, no more downshift problem, no more broken engine mounts. Amazing, it only took them 3 years to fix the problem. My only saving feature is that we were smart enough to buy the 120000 mile 8 year warranty (from an online Honda dealer that has been mentioned on here before} and push Honda to fix it. We have been fought from the bottom up, first by the service techs, then the service manager, then the local Honda rep, finally to American Honda. Only after some high up guy rode with me and was about jerked out of his seat did he admit there was a problem. Second and last Honda for us.
  • rose40rose40 Posts: 1
    We just bought a '08 Honda Odyssey June 1, 2010. After 2 weeks we started feeling a vibration at about 35mph. Recently it started doing it on the highway at any mph. I read on this forum about transmission problems and came to #1514 which has a link to a service bulletin that was sent out to Honda dealers, dated May 1, 2010. It states that the transmission software on all '07-'08 Odysseys and certain '09 Odysseys need to be updated. "These vehicles must be updated before they are sold or leased." The CarFax did not show this was done and the engine compartment's VIN would have a punch mark above the 7th character if it was done. It was not updated before they sold it. There was a previous update available (not sure when it came out), but it did "not address all the transmission concerns." So now this latest transmission software is out. Honda has a name for this vibration feeling. It is called a "judder." The bulletin says that if "the judder returns sometime in the future, after the transmission software is updated, the torque converter will need to be replaced."

Owners of affected vehicles are supposed to be sent a notification of this product update.

The car has 28,000 miles on it. I do expect it to make it to AT LEAST 100,000. They also should have taken care of this before selling it to us. I would NEVER have bought this car had I known this MAJOR flaw.

We are supposed to drive out to Colorado (we live in Illinois) and rent a 1400LB popup trailer while we are out there in 1 week. What are we supposed to do? Do I trust that this software will do the trick while we are climbing up a mountain pulling a trailer? After we get the software update, will we have to replace the torque converter? Will I be on a highway with my kids when the transmission goes out? I almost want to trade it in for a Sienna, but we probably would just be getting other problems. On the other hand, what do we have coming with this car? If we do have more problems, the trade-in value of this car will go down quite a bit. So far, it is NOT looking good.

The plan is to take the car in tomorrow to the dealer where we bought it to have it looked at. I will show them the bulletin and ask them why they didn't have this done BEFORE selling it to us. It usually comes down to money. It was a gamble for them; maybe this car wouldn't have a problem. If it does, the owner will bring it in.....Or maybe they even knew it had a problem when they sold it.

I wanted to post this to inform all about the bulletin and thank #1514 for putting the link about the bulletin out there. Another reason was to maybe get some advice.
    Actually. I spent a lot of time in service since that is where I got my beginning.

Your experience is HIGHLY unusual and I have no explanation other than to say there are a lot of high mileage Odysseys out there that have never had a problem.

It has to be remembered that forums like this attract the people who have had problems like a magnet and no matter what the make or model, problems tend to be over amplified.

I'm surprised you weren't worried that your Sienna's engine wouldn't sludge up and stop running! That one was blown WAY out of proportion to...big time!
  • I'm looking at buying a 2003 honda odessey with 140,000. I was thinking it was a good buy. Not sure now. My neice has a 2000 and loves it. ??? :confuse:
  • stimmonsstimmons Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Odyssey and I've had I'm on my 3rd transmission ( 1st one under warrenty, the second with Honda's minimal support $3500). Additionally, I've had to replace the motor mounts ($120), replace the sliding door motors and rollers ($800 each door). The motors on both vent windows went out three years after I bought the van. I didn't fix them because I rarely used them. You couldn't pay me to buy another Honda. :lemon:
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Posts: 144
    I know what you mean! However, if you read enough of these forums, you will see that every car maker has problems, and some people do get lemons. I really wanted a minivan to haul the grandkids and the grand-dogs, so I did finally buy a 2010 Odyssey several months ago. So far, it has been a wonderful vehicle, but I see where a lot of people don't have that saem experience.

All I can say is to be careful when you buy. If you know the seller, so much the better. Ask to see the service records, check out the Carmax report (although those are not foolproof!), and pay a local mechanic whom you trust to look over the vehicle before you buy, especially with a vehicle that has so many miles on it.

I hope you are able to find a good vehicle that fits your needs.
  • We have enjoyed our 2003 Odyssey - except when the transmission needed to be replaced at 79,000 miles. We now drive it minimally and will replace it before the new transmission warranty expires. Just put about $6,000 aside for additional repairs above normal maintenance items and you'll probably be okay.