Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• km1234km1234 Posts: 2
    Might be a little late on this response. But if you had the tranny replaced at NO COST to you...then there is no warranty. If you paid even $5, then you have the warranty.
  • HELP! I bought a new 2004 Honda Odyssey Mini Van in 2004. It has about 75,000 miles on it now. Recently when the vehicle changes gears the transmission shutters. Upon acceleration the shutter stops. If you have had this problem please tell me how you got it fixed. Also, how can I locate the warranty on my transmission. I've been all through my paperwork and cannot locate it. I do recall a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty, but I can't find it written anywhere. Finally, does anyone know if the warranty was extended on the 2004 Honda Odyssey transmissions? If yes, please direct me to something official that tells me this.
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 224
    I have not heard of any attorney collecting names on a Honda lawsuit in CANADA
  • zoltarozoltaro Posts: 3
    Hello all,
    I've read that the Odyssey transmission problems were on 99-03 models ( I owned an '01 that needed the transmission replaced). As I don't have the '01 anymore, I am thinking about getting an '04. I've read through a few pages of this thread, but with a busy toddler I don't have time to read it all. Can anyone tell me if an '04 would be a good bet? Thanks in advance.
  • 00bng00bng Posts: 1
    My parents bought this van new and I bought it from my dad last year. It has 131,000 miles and a few months ago I noticed the transmission was leaking fluid and it was shifting rough. It especially does when I slow down to make a turn but without a complete stop it's as if the trans hasn't shifted all the way down yet and so I get a jolt when trying to accelerate again. I took it to a trans shop and paid $700.00 to have all the gaskets and seals replaced. It doesn't leak anymore but after only a couple of days, it is doing the funky shifting stuff again. My dad gave me the extended warranty that Honda had sent him for the trans but it is now past that. I got on this forum today and am freaked out about what to do. Any suggestions?
    I have a 2002 & the transmission went at 180,000 kilometers (Canadian odometer) which was in Oct 2007; so it should last awhile as it was replaced in 2007, not earlier. To answer you question. It seems that from 2005 to 2008 there were not 'replacing transmiison' issues like previous. I have read that there are selinoid problems with the transmisisons in 2009. Now, if you look at 'Consumers Reports' issues showing how many repairs reportly by customers, are done for each area of the vehciles (red or black dots) the 2004 has the best showing for any Odyssey 1998-2009. I currently have 231,000 kilometers on my 2002 and I will not trade it until it becomes too expensive to keep. I like the 1998-2004 styling more than the later ones. It's a shame the styling of the 1998-2004 was not just changed slightly in front. I am a senior and I cannot just buy theses expenive vehicles on just a 'wish' as some readers have done, including changing them every 2 years or having 2-3 of them in a household. In Canada Odysseys are about 8,000 to 10,000 more that in the USA. :)
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I've noticed that the failure rates on the 2004s have been significantly lower than the rate on 2002s and 2003s, so you should be ok.

When you do go shopping for an '04, though, have someone take an extra peek at the transmission, though, just in case, and check the maintenance records to see if someone before you already replaced the transmission.
  • zoltarozoltaro Posts: 3
    Thank you both for your advice. Good idea about checking the service records and having the transmission looked at.
    I did see the good marks the 2004 got in Consumer Reports--so hopefully that will continue to be the case.
  • avionicsavionics Posts: 1
    If I know about this problem of this van I never bought one but I already have one and after run from 154k miles to 160990k miles the transmission fail and the problem was the torque converter case i went to the dealer because i bought a extended warranty apart of honda and gues what: they said that the torque converter case its not a part of the transmission and is not covered thats bad. Im dissapointed about the Manufacturer Honda and of the law that don´t do nothing to help to resolve the problem because the problrem stills on that models and they have to correct that equal that they did with the 109k of the models 2001 below.
    By the way dont trust again in honda. :cry: Bye.
  • asitmehtaasitmehta Posts: 19
    Hello I have a 2001 odyssey with 98,000 miles, I bought it new in August 2001 and now I'm finally having issues with the transmission. It still runs, but it shifts improperly and I know soon I will have some major issues. I didn't buy any extended warranty and now I've owned the car for 96 months, will I be covered under the new 109,000 miles or 93 months warranty?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    You passed the 93 months but you can ask for GOOD WILL repair (secret warranty) from the regional Honda rep., since Honda knows the crappy pre-matured failure tranny in Ody at that period
    will the good will repair replace the transmission and cover all costs? I haven't been to the dealer yet because the car still runs, but I want it replaced because I hate having it shift erratically.
    Good will repair is totally up to the Honda Regional Manager approval. He/She may request all your service records to see if the car was taken care properly and the first step is bring van to the dealer to have diagnoisis what actually went wrong. If it really needs the tranny repair or replacement then talk nicely to the service manager and explain the infamous class action and request the manager to call Honda if they can do something. Meanwhile you google search Odyssey Transmission Problem and class action against Honda for more info. One way or the other you prepare some cash for this thing as you are more than 93 months. The chance of 0% out of your pocket is pretty slim.
    thanks for the information, I'm pretty sure the dealer won't be able to do much because the car still runs alright. I did some research and the warranty is 93 months OR 109,000 miles. If I have to spend a little bit I don't mind, I'll speak with my service manager soon. thanks again
  • rikfrerikfre Posts: 57
    If anyone knows of any information regarding a class action law suit against Honda for this particular year and model, Please contact me. I would like to join it. Honda is a fraud. I will never buy their products again. They are a rotten organization. :lemon:
    There is information regarding class action suit(s) mentioned many places in the Odyssey Transmssion forums. You just need to search for it. It you are in Canada I know of no class action suits taking place (readers correct me if I'm wrong). See also the web site ODYCLUB.COM
  • leephdleephd Posts: 1
    At 92 k, the trans began to leak. I take immaculate care of the vehicle, change trans fluid regularly at dealer and I'm an easy driver, so I was
    concerned. Dealer (Norm Reeves) had me bring it in 3 times before admitting trans was failing. Then I made many calls to American Honda to open a case. Today, finally, after much back and forth, Honda offered to pay 40% for an exchange trans. I am supposed to be grateful. Had I known back in 2000, I would have bought a Sienna. I realize nothing lasts forever, but Honda has a well known trans defect in this year Odyssey. Not once did I hear an apology from Honda for all the trouble and cost of a failed part due to their design flaw. Will never buy another Honda.
  • franks13franks13 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Odyssey with 70,00 miles and I am the original owner. Transmission started shifting erratically in lower gears and a Honda dealer told me I need a new transmission. Is anyone aware of any remedies given that this is apparently a known issue? I know of a 2006 class action law suit (Chris Collins, Ernest galang, et al v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. brought in CA, Case # RG 03099677), but I am not sure if it applies here. I live in IL.

Thanks for the advice!
    Back in 2002 when I was shopping for a replacement for my 1992 Ford Taurus and decided the next vehicle would be a minii-van the Sienna had engine problems and was smaller than the GM minis (Montana, Venture & Eclipse), the Odyssey, Dodge Caravan. It was not until 2004 that the Sienna grew in size. My research showed, at the time of 2002, that the 2002 Odyssey was the vehicle to buy. The recall to add the oiler to 2nd grear or replace the transmission depending upon the inside colour of the transmission, was not annoiced until May 2004. My transmission on my 2002 was replaced in Oct 2007 when I had 180,000 kms. It currently has 232,000 kms. The recall for the oiler included 650,000 vehicles (MDX, Doyssey & Pilot). The Sienna is a good van but currently the Odyssey has less problems with their transmission. Also check out ODYCLUB.com
    There was class action and Honda settlement for 99-01 Odyssey. Google search "Honda Odyssey Transmission Class Action or settlement"