Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• robardskyrobardsky Posts: 1
    Our 2010 Odyssey that we bought new in 2009 just clicked over 42,000 miles and the warning signal came on indicating that tranny fluid needs to be replaced. Have been driving various models of cars for 45 years and have never had to replace it that quickly. Honda service mgr says typical replacement time is every 38-40,000 miles.

After ready many of the horror stories on this forum, it's starting to sound true but still ridiculous. I researched Odyssey vs. many other minivan models before we bought the Odyssey and don't remember seeing the tranny problem discussed much. Just hope it isn't an indication of tranny replacement in the near future.

Anyone else seeing tranny fluid replacement warnings at the 40,000 mile range? Does $155 to replace the fluid seem like gouging?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,638
    $155 sounds high. might depend onwhere you are. About $95 at my NJ honda dealer.

and I consider it cheap insurance. 60K would be the most I would consider reasonable on one of these, and I do every 30K on my 2005.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• pgnagelpgnagel Posts: 60
    It's so expensive because they flush the transmission with 12 quarts of fluid. That's 3 gallons, kids. Just drain and fill, then do it again in a month or so. The new fluid is about $6 a quart.
  • mykiddosmykiddos Posts: 3
    DO NOT flush the transmission. Honda says to drain it. Make sure the paperwork that you get from the company does not have the word flush on it. The place who drained my transmission fluid had the word "flush" on the papaerwork because that is how they have it in their system. My transmission blew at 85k miles and even after having it confirmed that they only drained and refilled the fluids, Honda pretty much told me I should be happy that i got "all those miles" out of the transmission when I went to them, despite information all over the internet about the transmission problems. This is my last Honda. I did replace the transmission with a non-Honda transmission because I read those who had the problem and just replced it with the Honda tranny had the same problems.
  • sanjeevasanjeeva Posts: 2
    I have 2005 ody. I replaced trans fluid at around 50k. Now at around 70k it asked to replace it again. I took the car to get an oil change and they are telling me that transmission is leaking oil and is almost empty. I was really shocked. I had several cars in the past but no such issue with transmission.

They filled the oil and asked me to check it if keeps loosing. I will have to now get it diagnosed ($150) and then who knows how much will it cost. Reading about previous models transmission issues makes me nervous.
  • sanjeevasanjeeva Posts: 2
    any update on this? Did you get a response from Honda? I have 2005 ody too and started to see transmission oil leak at 70k.
  • I have a 2000 honda odyssey ex with 262,000. miles on it, that I bought brand new. This vehicle has been very very good to me until about 1 month ago. I am having slipping problems with the transmission. Took it to a transmission place where they were working on 3 other odyssey, much newer them mine. they found a leak and are saying that I probably need a new torc converter and other things but they wont know until they take out the transmission. It came up with 2 codes one was for the torc converter and cant remember what the other one was. I have taken very good care of this car by making sure maintenance is done when it is recommended. I have gone thru 2 timing belts and water pumps at every 100,000. not because they were bad but recommended. Everyone says it was a waste of money but I have been very pleased this honda. The transmission place said it would cost about 4,800. to replace the trans. I was also told that if you get the trans replaced after having that many miles on it, that I should have the engine rebuilt. I dont want to spend that kind of money. So I was looking for used odyssey with low miles and found a lot of info on customers having problems with the trans. anybody want to help me out with the years honda was having these problems so I can stay clear of those certain years
    thanks in advance
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 226
    If you look at customers' reports [reliability dots] on Cconsumer Reports 2003-2006 and 2008-2010 had best reliability in transmissions for the Odyssey. 2007 is bad news. You need to read more on Edmunds.com & OdyClub on what members have to say. I trust Consumer Reports more than any other magazine because they purchase vehicles where the dealers do not know that they are Consumer Report people.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    If CR is saying the 2003 to 2006 HOnda trannys are great, it just shows how far behind the problem they still are. My friend who owns an Automatic Trasmission repair shop is seeing these vans coming in off warranty and needing re-builds too.

The 2007 tranny is out of the Honda Ridgeline truck was much better unless you ignored the re-call for re-programming. Seems Honda just slapped it into the Odyssey as a stop gap fix while they were designing the new 5 speeds, but left it set up for the truck. Dumb/Bad move.

Honda has left a trail of stink down the road now for many many years on this issue but they know it will finally go away as the older 1999 to 20..? Odys get crushed, melted down and turned into re-bar.
    I did not say that CR said these tranmssions were reliable. I said that the customers said the reliablity was ok (as per the dots). CR explains that this information in gattered from customer surveys. Anyway I believe that heat destroys these transmissions and the optional Honda cooler is not the one to use. I have drained & refill my tranny 3 times at 3 litres each time to the sythetic type & added an after-marker transmission cooler. The cooler was added last August. My Honda dealer recommended the after-market cooler.
    My tranny went at 184,000 kms. Anyone I know that had a Windstar had their tranny go at about 104,000 kms. Coolers are standard on the Sienna.
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Posts: 92
    Our 2006 Ody EX-L has over 107K miles and all we've done is replace battery (once) and tires (twice), plus usual maintenance (tranny fluid, coolant, alignments, brake pads) and we're in hot Florida. The car has been a dream to own and drive. As you probably know, owners who had problems are more likely to post message than those who have had no problems. We'd buy another (after checking it out with a machanic) without hesitation.
  • ibeplatoibeplato Posts: 13
    We have a 2003 Ody with 77k miles on it. I changed the fluid for the first time at around 65k (3x drain/fill with Honda fluid).

A few weeks ago we got the dreaded engine light. The mechanic pulled a P0730 code and told us if it happened again, to replace the tranny. Since then it has been ok except for some rough shifting. Occasionally it will fail to shift into 3rd and act as if it is neutral, but if I back off the gas it will shift.

I took it to the local Honda dealer for a 2nd opinion, they also said to replace the tranny and quoted me $5,400 (said it needs a new engine computer when replacing the transmission). They local Honda rep offered to cover $1k. I called two other shops and got quotes around $4700.

In addition, it needs an ABS modulator, engine mount, and timing belt. Total bill was almost $9k. So, we're getting rid of it and have bought a new Odyssey (even after all this, I still prefer the Honda over any other van. Wish me luck!)
  • jhk4949jhk4949 Posts: 12
    I also had a 2003 with the transmission causing problems at about 105,000 miles. Honda told me the they would cover about $1500. I got a quote from a reputable transmission shop for about $2500 for rebuild. I asked honda to review their part of this problem to keep a customer. They elected not to. I went with the private shop and sold the car about a year later. I decided to purchase the 2011 Ody ..... the transmission problem was overcome by what the Honda van offered. I hope the new 6 speed transmission does not have the problems that the 2003 had.
    If you are an American what did this new Odyssey cost. I live in Canada and with the tax for a 6 speed it's over $60,000.
  • meem2meem2 Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2003 Honda Odyssey in February. It had been a dream...until yesterday. Actually, about a week ago, I noticed some rough shifting into second when I was getting on the highway. It only happened once or twice, so I didn't think much of it, but I looked onlime and found a recall on the 2003 tranny cooler line. The recall states that if you have more than 15,000 on your vehicle, they will inspect the gears for discoloration, and i,f it exists they will replace your transmission. I contacted a local dealer about this, but never got a return call. Fast forward to yesterday-75 miles from home, in no man's land with no cell service and at least 5 miles from the nearest phone-my transmission completely blew out. I mean-COMPLETELY, as in, I had tranny fluid on my back window. The gears stripped, and van just rolled to a stop. It was smoking so bad I thought it was on fire. Thankfully, a nice family stopped and let us use their phone and AAA and they towed it back to a dealership near our home, and I fully expect Honda to fix THEIR problem. Am I asking too much?
    "I fully expect Honda to fix THEIR problem. Am I asking too much? "

If you were the original owner you would have received the recall notice for the 03'. Under that recall they would have inspected the tranny for the burnt gears and replaced the unit with its first rebuilt.
    If your gears and shaft were not discolored yet they would have installed a fluid diverter on the return line to the tanny case and sent you on your way.
    This little do dad simply squirts the returning a/t fluid over a couple of inches and down onto the shaft and gears that are running dry and burning up.

That solved one problem, but that tranny has a host of other issues that only a total re-design would fix. As you are on this forum and reading the stories, I'm sure you know by now that the Honda Odyssey a/t's are timebombs.
    Most Ody owners find out about changing the a/t fluid soon and often, installing a cooler, and adding an in-line a/t filter but by then that tranny is usually toast and Honda will say, "we understand your problem, but sorry, can't help"

If you were the original owner and had a record of tranny fluid changes, and the re-call done, it might help, but as the second or (?) owner with no history, I doubt it. :sick:

Hope I'm wrong, keep in touch.
  • falmar1falmar1 Posts: 12
    My 2000 honda Transmision quit on me. Prices varied from $3900 to $6000 to repair it. It has 150,000 miles on the car. Does any one know the following codes? PO740 PO420 1456.
    Book valvue is only around $2500 - $4500. Not sure if it is worth fixing.
    Any suggestions?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,859
    Google is your friend:

P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit
    P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
    P1456 - Manufacture Control Auxiliary Emission Controls

Basically transmission, catalytic converter and other emission issues.

IMHO, it's time to take Nellie out back...

Or Craigslist it for $1000 and move on.
  • I have a quote from AAMCO transmissions for 1800 to rebuild my 2001 transmission. Good luck.
  • steve378steve378 Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    My Honda Odyssey has 161,000 miles and I am on my 4th transmission. I'm 59 years old and have never had to replace a transmission in any other vehicle I've ever owned.

The last transmission that failed was installed by McConnell Imports in Montgomery, Alabama in September, 2009. McConnell Imports installed a transmission which had been remanufactured by Howard Engineering (Los Angeles) and which carried a 3 year warranty.

This transmission failed and was replaced by Sons Honda in McDonough GA on 2/28/11. The transmission was clearly within the 3 year warranty period. Howard Engineering sent a replacement transmission to Sons Honda and advised the Service Manager that I could recover the labor cost by applying to Howard Engineering for a reimbursement. I’ve sent 2 requests to Howard (one of them certified mail) and have never received a response.

On 5/20/11, I sent a certified letter to the General Manager at McConnell Imports asking them to intervene with Howard Engineering on my behalf. McConnell has never acknowledged my problem or responded to my letter. Since then, I’ve learned that the Better Business Bureau has given Howard Engineering an “F” rating and that they’ve had multiple complaints about failing to respond to complaints and failing to honor warranty claims.

Why would a Honda dealer use this type of supplier? Why would they also not intervene on a customer’s behalf? Given this type of service, why would anyone take their car to a Honda dealer for service?

I'm buying 2 vehicles later this year. Neither will be a Honda.
    "Why would a Honda dealer use this type of supplier? "

Probably because they picked the outfit that supplied the Honda re-built at the lowest possible price. And as the old saying goes "you just get what you pay for" however you got much less.

There are reputable a/t re-builders out there that do stand behind their warranty, but the HOnda trannies from those years are time bombs and there really aren't any good options other than using the same OEM parts that failed the original, and (this is the big one) unless the HOnda a/t has a much improved filtering system to take out the circulating clutch debris and metal bits that turn your fluid into grinding compound and plug up the solenoid filters....the same fate awaits your re-build.

The original "Honda Z1" fluid could also be a part of the problem and only this year has Honda quietly gone over to a more robust synthetic replacement ("DW1")

That particular tranny has given HOnda a big Black Eye on consumer reports as well, and all the other models (including Acura) that used it had the same reliability issues.

Eventually Honda a/t stories like yours will all be history, but only when they are all scrapped and melted down, my 03 Ody' included. :sick:
  • kanghoonkanghoon Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Odyssey and 130k miles on it.

As so many people said, it has a transmission problem.

From 2nd to 3rd gear change is slipping and solenoid problems with engine light on.

I am very shocked that so many people have the same problems and Honda does not do anything for this.

I will never buy Honda any more and not let others do.

Can`t we do something for this?
  • vanwaanabevanwaanabe Posts: 15
    I posted all my concerns on Facebook and got quite a response. I made it my mission to show people what garbage Honda has become. I told Honda what I was doing and they fixed my transmission.

I'll never buy another one. I bought a Subaru and couldn't be happier.

http://www.facebook.com/Honda

http://www.facebook.com/hondaodyssey
  • donethat_1donethat_1 Posts: 66
    Like me, you need to make it a point to let people know to avoid buying anything from Honda. If you ask them for some assistance in repairing a transmission on a vechile that they knew had a defect, they will tell you thanks for calling, but leave us alone. There is nothing we can do for you. Start a web page, post on facebook, etc. get the word out to everyone. That will speak volumes.
  • donethat_1donethat_1 Posts: 66
    I had the same problem and the same miles. I called Honda and they told me to take a hike. Both the dealer and American Honda were useless and could care less. You will have to replace the transmission at $5000. Get rid of the van and get something else before it breaks down completly
  • pinkyroopinkyroo Posts: 2
    On June 29th the van had issues being put into reverse. Took it into our dealer on June 30th and told them what was happening and told them we suspected a transmission issue. We had decided that if it was indeed the transmission, we were going to get a new vehicle. It had 178,000km on it.

Dealer called us within the half hour to say that it was only an engine mount that was gone and the trans was fine. $500 and we were on our way with a new engine mount and new tranny fluid. We were planning a rather substantial road trip and I asked the dealer rep if it was safe to take it on such a trip. I was told that "it isn'tt driving like a new van but its fine." You can see where this is going.....

We cross over the US boarder from Canada. Two hours later we stop for lunch. Getting back on to the highway, the van shifts with a very loud BANG. We hang a right and skip the highway exit, only to have to make a 3 pt turn and can't get it into reverse again. Frantically punch HONDA into my GPS and find one 4km away. Manage to get it moving and to the dealer. They look over it, and declare it fine to continue on our trip. Engine mount is good, tranny fluid looks and smells fine. They tell us its likely the new fluid working its way into the tranny.

An hour later, at a toll gate just out side of NYC we pay our toll and go to accelerate through and it bangs again, and sticks in second gear at which time the TCS light comes on, D4 flashes and the check engine light comes on. It does accelerate and we once again FRANTICALLY punch HONDA into the GPS. We make it across a MAJOR bridge and a second toll gate when it sticks in 1st gear. THANK GOD the Honda dealer was literally at the bottom of the off ramp at the gate.

We limp into Honda. $3800 later we have a new transmission that we had no choice in putting into our vehicle as we had no other way home. We had to rent a car to get to our hotel and take the train back to deal with the van the next morning and stay extra days in a hotel to get the car fixed. The tranny isn't even warranted by Honda Canada because they didn't do the work. I am bitter and angry with the run around Honda Canada has been and is giving me. We were told by the american dealer that if it had been an US car HOnda USA would have given us some goodwill money. HAHAH not Honda Canada.

I have very little recourse at this point other that to warn others about our horrid experience. I have been a loyal honda fan for over 20 years but this is the final straw. Two incompetent dealers put my family at risk and let me drive an unfit vehicle. To make matters worse, the third dealer that finally fixed it also found some suspension part broken and fixed that for free for us but told us that that should have been found by our dealer when they did the engine mount and that alone being broken make it unfit to drive. Less than 1000km after the van was declared safe, it had a catastrophic failure, after having issues, is not mere coincidence.

Is it mere coincidence that two laymen knew it was the transmission when the "professionals" didn't. Can;t they google like the rest of us?

It will be a looooong time before I buy another Honda product.
  • pmtwiggpmtwigg Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 odyssey with 183,000k miles. The original transmission just now starting to slip.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,638
    well, sounds like you got your money's worth out of it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• We are looking at a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 93,000 miles on it. Drove it and it shifts great, sounds great. Is the 2004 a better bet than the other years for the transmission, and if I decide to buy it should I call somewhere first and see what, if anything, has been done with this vehicle so far? Will they give me that information?
  • ibeplatoibeplato Posts: 13
    i believe from the consumer reports data, the '04's had less issues than the '99-'03 models. But I would still have the transmission thoroughly checked before you buy it. My dealer told me they could do a pressure test for about $270. You can get a car fax report as well.